mtbr member
    Mar 2012

XTR SL M970 Rear Shifter---Jammed? Or missing a part?

I'm rebuilding a 2003 bike and thought I'd check the condition inside the shifters. I removed and opened the rear shifter up. It was dirty inside, so I decided to clean and re-lube it. I sprayed it out with degreaser, while shifting through all the gears. The shifter was shifting through all the gears fine, then all the sudden the up-shift lever seemed to freeze up and wouldn't up-shift. Using my finger inside the shifter, I can activate the up-shift "trigger" and up-shift through the gears. I can see that the internal part of the downshift lever is supposed to push and activate this trigger, but, it's either not reaching it because it's jammed, or there's a piece that's supposed to be in between the two parts that's missing.

XTR SL M970 Rear Shifter---Jammed? Or missing a part?-shifter-jam.jpg

Shimano doesn't provide a diagram of these parts, so, before I buy a new shifter, just thought I'd see if anybody familiar with these shifters can recognize if there's a piece missing or know what would cause the up-shift lever to jam up like this?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTR SL M970 Rear Shifter---Jammed? Or missing a part?-shifter-jam.jpg  

XTR SL M970 Rear Shifter---Jammed? Or missing a part?-shifter-jam.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Even the grittiest of XTR / DuraAce shifters has only required me to shoot WD-40 into it. Some I drench, others i just squirt a bit.

I have the feeling a lever or spring went in the wrong direction. I'm no help here. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks. Ya, I gave up on it for now and bought another set of used shifters. It's a shame, as the components are still in good condition considering they're 13 years old. I have a vague memory a long time ago of spraying out another shifter, that was still working OK, but slipping a bit in one gear. After trying to clean it out, it got worse. It may be that the spray releases all the grit inside, which may damage some internal components if you operate the shifters before it's all washed out, which I did to try to loosen up the grit. Next time I'll leave well enough alone :-)