I'm Slow

XTR Brake Piston Change?

This is a X-Post from Brake time as I'm not getting any good answers there.

I finally did some maintenance on my bike and I realized the pistons on my XTR brakes (BR-9020) are different. See pics. My front brake is white that make an "O" around the outside. The back pistons are black with an "X" across it. Did they update the pistons? or did I get a mistake? Also which piston should be in there?

Attachment 1031911
    Attachment 1031912
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

I'm Slow
    Anyone?

Let's Ride
    The updated pistons are white. I had the black pistons. When I attempted to replace the pads, the black pistons would not retract. My local bike shop contacted Shimano and found out that the tolerance on the black pistons was too tight. Shimano sent me replacement brakes with white pistons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Oh my... I have the black pistons... I'll have try and remember this update to white pistons when I swap for new pads...

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    I'll have try and remember this update to white pistons when I swap for new pads...
    There might not be a need to replace if you don't know what the difference is or that it's even necessary. Use of the word 'update', doesn't necessarily mean a component improvement. Might want to contact Shimano an see if you can get the difference defined. Good luck on getting any usable information from Shimano though.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    This is a X-Post from Brake time as I'm not getting any good answers there.

I finally did some maintenance on my bike and I realized the pistons on my XTR brakes (BR-9020) are different. See pics. My front brake is white that make an "O" around the outside. The back pistons are black with an "X" across it. Did they update the pistons? or did I get a mistake? Also which piston should be in there?

Attachment 1031911
    Attachment 1031912
    I'm trying to know if i can get the white pistons if i buy the m9000 brakes or if they are only supplied as a replacement.
    Could your brakes came from a replacement?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just warrantied a set of black piston M9020s. These were garbage out of the box and failed 9 miles into my first ride (on a downhill, of course). New brakes have white pistons and actually work.

I have another set of M9020s on my other bike, white pistons, which have worked perfectly for the last year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So the black pistons are suppose to be the latest and greatest. The black is the new Insulated piston (GFRP). My friends m9000 has the black Pistons. His brakes seem to work better than my 9020

I have sent my 9020 rear with black piston off to warranty. I will see what gets returned.

Magically Delicious
    ^^ Any news yet?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    I got a very good deal on M9020 at Rose, one Germany's largest online stores.

After reading this, i asked them about the pistons. They said they have had no recall note whatsoever from Shimano concerning these pistons, and they haven't had any poblems yet, so they should be fine.

I Haven't used the brakes yet, i'm still in the building process. :-)
    Sent from my HAL 9000

I'm Slow
    I sent mine back to Jenson for a warranty. Their mechanic called Shimano and they did not do a warranty for the calipers. I sent in the brakes with the black pistons. I performed a full bleed when I received them back. Normally with my old XT's I would just do a one-way bleed and never had any problems. On these I have done the reverse bleed(pushing from the caliper). then I'll do the normal one way bleed. I have done this procedure twice. Brake seems good for the next 2 rides. Then about the 3rd ride I start getting pump up issues and the brake doesn't work as well.

I have seen other people in other treads make similar comments. The response is always "You need to bleed them correctly". After trying, I have given up on the m9020s. I just received a set of XT m8000s and I hope to have them installed tonight.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Found this old thread.. I had a small leak on my XTR 9020 caliper, I was seeing a small amount of fluid on the back side of the brake pad. Anyways, I then noticed one caliper had a black and one had a white piston. FWIW the black one was leaking. I called shimano and they told me both pistons were correct, but they made a 'running change' from black pistons to white pistons, and recommended I go through my LBS to process a warranty claim for the leak. One week later and I have a brand new caliper from shimano with a white piston.