mtbr member

XTR BR-M960 V-brake overhaul

Hi guys
    I've got a set of XTR BR-M960 V-brakes that I was given as the owner was going to just bin them
    1 pair are as smooth as the day they were made, the other pair are a bit rough on the main bearing.
    Is there a way of getting the bearings out so that I can either clean re-grease or replace?
    Steve

the catalan connection
    Yes, brake arms pivot bearings can be fully serviced. Cup and cone-like tech, so they can be disassembled, cleaned bearing per bearing, rebuilt and adjusted as a hub, with the desired preload as well(!). IŽm sure youŽll find graphical info on how to do it somewhere...I just canŽt post any step by step now....Luck

PS:
    (Come back if canŽt find the info and IŽll happily guide you through as soon as I can)
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    I took my XT Vbrakes and my XTR Vbrakes apart completely. It was pretty easy, no mystery.

If you type in the model name into a Google search you'll find the Shimano tech doc for the brakes.

There is also a service kit which includes fresh parts.

These are good brakes. Don't bin them. Easy to maintain but if you don't want them then sell them if you cannot get the spares you need on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Looked up Schimano's schematic on these. It doesn't show the bearings. Is this something they don't advertise? I can't imagine that a bearing system is lighter than a simple bushing ring.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Would be helpful if you do a nice close up photo of the part you have issue with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Shimano's link to their parts diagram (if MTBR allows links like this). Looked up XT just in case, and even that parts diagram doesn't show any bearings/bushings at the brake post. If this is a serviceable item, shimano's doing a dis-service by not showing it. As is, their brakes don't look much better than the cheap Tektro ones, as far as parts display goes. Quality and weight had better be.

si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-BR-M960-2141.pdf

mtbr member
    Watts, I was not asking for a Shimano service diagram, I was asking a photo of the part you have issue with. I have several of these brakes have have taken them to bits myself, rebuilt and am already familiar with that service/parts diagram.

The service kits (no longer available) contained replacement linkages and linkage parts, which are the bits the usually need service. I bought a service kit from eBay (SI-B950B).

I would suggest you take everything to bits using the correct tools and clean everything and then re-grease. Likely you just need to clear out some dust or grit and relube to get things smoother.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Watts is not the OP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Watts is not the OP.
    yep. Just trying to figure out why the parts diagram doesn't match the cone & cup bearing description.