mtbr member
    Dec 2015

XT8000 1x11 rear shifter - multirelease only works one way? FOUND A HACK...

EDIT: i found a hack. See below for explanation

Hello,

i've just upgraded my transmission from XT 2x10 to XT 1x11.

It turns out that one of the features i loved in the 2x10 is now missing: i can't release 2 gears at a time if i pull the release trigger...

It works fine if i push (with my thumb) the release trigger, there is a second click to drop 2 gears in one movement, but if i pull it (with my index finger), i can only drop 1 gear.

I've tried it at my LBS, and it seems to work the same on XTR equipped bikes as well...

Is there any way to tweak the trigger so it drops 2 gears when i pull the release trigger?

Thanks
    Last edited by christophebcn; 02-13-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Test Monkey
    I would be interested to know as well. This is one of the things putting me off the new 11sp stuff as that is one of my favorite features on my current shifters. I might eventually pick some up and take them apart myself if there isn't a concise answer. If I do wind up doing that I'll be sure to keep you updated.

mtbr member
    It appears to be correct. I downloaded the Shimano specs for all products a few months ago and notice that there is a note at the bottom with 2 *. I just went to the website to see if can provide a link but techdocs appears down. Saint M820 was this way last year and now M9000 & M8000 state ** pull:single push:double.

edit:
    Go here, select MTB, then shift lever:
    2015-2016 SHIMANO Product Information Web
    Last edited by Aresab; 12-30-2015 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    IMO this is rider dependent. I've never used SRAM, but in terms of hand positioning, I prefer a 'thumb push' shift up and down. some riders complain of thumb strain in the long run though...

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, Shimano ditched the pull-multirelease in their new XTR and XT shifters. Don't know why. Too bad, I liked it!

A hack would be nice! :-)
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Solved -> found a hack

Thanks for the comments.

I managed to hack the trigger so it behaves like the XT 10 speeds: multi-release both ways

the bit of the trigger in green on the 'before' picture is what's preventing the trigger to be pulled twice.

a bit of Dremel on this bit to shorten it did the job.
    Now, it works fine both ways now

BEFORE:
    XT8000 1x11 rear shifter - multirelease only works one way?-before2-large-.jpg

AFTER: (with the green bit cut off)

XT8000 1x11 rear shifter - multirelease only works one way?-after-large-.jpg

Here's a quick video to show it working:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86128269/M8000.mp4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by christophebcn View Post
    Solved -> found a hack
    Thank you for sharing!

Why would they want to limit multi-release both ways?

I am not sure I dare to do the fix, although I have the same frustrations you had.
    Afraid there is some "catch"; something else that stops working

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by detsortehul View Post
    Thank you for sharing!

I am not sure I dare to do the fix, although I have the same frustrations you had.
    Dremel saves the day! -)
    I agree with detsortehul: Keep us informed on how the shifter holds up!
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    Is it just the XTR (11spd) shifter that has a really clunky mechanical sound shifting? No problem with how it shifts its just not as pleasant and 'calm' as my XT (10spd).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Is it just the XTR (11spd) shifter that has a really clunky mechanical sound shifting? No problem with how it shifts its just not as pleasant and 'calm' as my XT (10spd).
    My 11 speed XT's are the same--much more clack-y than 10 speed, but work fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by detsortehul View Post
    Thank you for sharing!

Shimano imposed this limitation on the XT line to better differentiate from the XTR pods. Also known as a reason to charge more for XTR.

Some older 10 speed xt shifters were multi-release in both push & pull, but in their infinite wisdom, shimano decided this was a premium feature that should be reserved exclusively for XTR..

Aside from cosmetics, internally these two models are pretty much identical, except of course this green tang that needs removing on the XT version.

Sadly, just like xerox, shimano designs their best model first, then designs ways to impose limitations on lesser revisions. So the cheaper models actually get more engineering time than the higher end products... Pretty neat how they do that, isnt it.

mtbr member
    Actually, Saint 10, XTR 11 and XT 11 are all the same push 2 pull one. See earlier in my post on Dec 30 it takes you to the tech doc and there are notes. They are "**pull:single, push:double"

mtbr member extraordinair
    Can this bit be dremmeled off while it is still on the bike? Or does the whole pod and cable need to be removed first?
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member extraordinair
    To answer my own question(s): YES, the XTR shifter (SL-M9000) is built the same way, and YES this procedure can be done without removing the cable, or removing the pod completely from the bike - if done carefully

Thank you christophebcn and you other smart forum dudes! Im a happy stupendous man again!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    Actually, Saint 10, XTR 11 and XT 11 are all the same push 2 pull one. See earlier in my post on Dec 30 it takes you to the tech doc and there are notes. They are "**pull:single, push:double"

Welp, since all the 11 spd shifters are crippled in this way, I imagine we can expect the release a 8050, 9050 series update in a few months or a year with push double and pull double claiming its an upgrade.. or imposing this limitation is their way of pushing us towards Di. FEH!

Modded 2 m8000 shifters so far and they work great. I'll also re-confirm that you dont need to remove the cable or shifter to do the mod. The use of some masking tape is prudent to capture some of the metal filings while you cut.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for this! Did it last weekend and it works great......despite me not being as good with a dremmel as you were (I made some slight/aesthetic scratches to the bottom of the shift lever) :P

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by christophebcn View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

I managed to hack the trigger so it behaves like the XT 10 speeds: multi-release both ways

the bit of the trigger in green on the 'before' picture is what's preventing the trigger to be pulled twice.

a bit of Dremel on this bit to shorten it did the job.
    Now, it works fine both ways now

BEFORE:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before2 (Large).jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	1049823

AFTER: (with the green bit cut off)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after (Large).jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	1049822

Here's a quick video to show it working:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86128269/M8000.mp4
    Good job finding that out! Being a metal part sure feels more scary to remove, but as long as it only does that....My question is why only locking multirelease function in one direction?
    Older XT shifters could be hacked as well to upgrade to XTR functionality, but only required some trimming of the plastic cover. Maybe shimano found it out and decided to meke things a bit more difficult this time...

If you want to see the old XT shifters being hacked:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...tr-549266.html
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone know if the SLX M-7000 shifters can be hacked to be multi release?
    They are only single release

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for this hack! Completed it and now installing modded XT M8000 shifter and long cage XT M8000 derailleur.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just did this to my M9000 shifter and it's awesome. Still miss the feel of the 9 speed XTR but now these 11 speed XTR shifters don't inhibit my riding. Thank you!

mtbr member
    interesting... any ideas how to cut cleanly without a dremel?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Wait WHAT?! D:

So everyone has had success with it? I have a brand new 11 speed SL-M8000-R shifter, I didn't know that, can someone tell if it worked and had no damage?... I am scared to **** it up.

Is the bit actually green?... I don't remember seeing a green bit when taking it apart.
    Last edited by Feli; 12-14-2017 at 06:22 AM. Reason: More details