XT M8000 lever with XT M8120 caliper?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

XT M8000 lever with XT M8120 caliper?

Anyone know if you can run the XT M8000 lever with the new XT M8120 caliper? I've been looking to upgrade to the 4 pot pistons and I know its fairly easy with the M8020 4 pot calipers but now that the new M8120 calipers are out they are actually a few bucks cheaper (only $3) than the older model....just putting it out there

mtbr member
    If I had to guess I would think that you can. Looking at the hose compatibility chart if you are upgrading from the BR-M8000 caliper to the BR-M8120 caliper they use the same hose. https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...460&acid=C-186
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I can confirm the hose and fittings are the same. I swapped M8000 for m8100 levers and calipers (didn't want to rerun hoses).

The newer brakes feel much better than the old. They modulate better and are much more consistent in bite point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    If I had to guess I would think that you can. Looking at the hose compatibility chart if you are upgrading from the BR-M8000 caliper to the BR-M8120 caliper they use the same hose. https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...460&acid=C-186
    OK, help me out, I may be too thick to completely understand this table (although I tried)

Wanted: something more powerful than current SLX-7000's (2-pot with 180 frt & 160 rear rotor, finned metal pads), but need that generation of levers for handlebar real-estate reasons. They are fine for everyday use, but if they had an extra 20% at the extreme end (pulling that number out of my arse) ??? Not going back to SRAM , though the Guide RSC's had that extra power (IMHO), but of course that is only when they were working properly.

I realize the 8020 option is still available online, but curious if there is a way to have 8120 (or 7120) calipers with 7000 or 8000 levers at equivalent or better price? which begs the question on hoses: can I just swap in the 7120 calipers? Evidently I can't swap in 8020 calipers, without changing up the hoses??? Which is why a little help, or confirmation with the hose compatibility table would be helpful. I previously thought I couldn't upgrade to any 4-pot calipers without changing out the hoses, but does it seem possible my 7000 hoses (which "might be BH90-SBM???) will bolt right up to the 7120 banjo?

(I don't know the difference between BH90-SB and BH90 SBM...and not really sure which I have on my 7000's...but assume SBM's????).

mtbr member
    There are really only 2 versions of BH90 hose (3 but Saint only varies in banjo color - gold); banjo and no banjo fitting. The designation at the end are the is the caliper bolts that are included, the lever end is the same. I've swapped all kinds of levers/hoses/calipers and all work very well as long as you have the right fittings. For instance, I'm using M7000 levers w/ Zee calipers and love them. If I needed them I'd buy the latest calipers without issue for any lever that I have Deore thru XT. I hear the newest calipers come with banjo bolts/orings - Zee did not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresab View Post
    There are really only 2 versions of BH90 hose (3 but Saint only varies in banjo color - gold); banjo and no banjo fitting. The designation at the end are the is the caliper bolts that are included, the lever end is the same. I've swapped all kinds of levers/hoses/calipers and all work very well as long as you have the right fittings. For instance, I'm using M7000 levers w/ Zee calipers and love them. If I needed them I'd buy the latest calipers without issue for any lever that I have Deore thru XT. I hear the newest calipers come with banjo bolts/orings - Zee did not.
    Thanks. so please confirm that I have this right: ALL banjo-type HOSES are compatible, but the banjo BOLTS vary for different calipers??? Again, the caliper and its matching bolt wont' care which hose is used??? The different "versions" of the BH90 (SBM, SB, SLS, or whatever) ONLY refers to the included banjo BOLTS?

This begs a 2nd question: are some hoses BETTER than others? (e.g would Saint or XTR hoses provide a different "feel" or "power" than a 7000 hose?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by impatient View Post
    Thanks. so please confirm that I have this right: ALL banjo-type HOSES are compatible, but the banjo BOLTS vary for different calipers??? Again, the caliper and its matching bolt wont' care which hose is used??? The different "versions" of the BH90 (SBM, SB, SLS, or whatever) ONLY refers to the included banjo BOLTS?

This begs a 2nd question: are some hoses BETTER than others? (e.g would Saint or XTR hoses provide a different "feel" or "power" than a 7000 hose?)
    Just note that there were BH-59 Banjos too, I have no experience with them to tell you compatibility. All BH90 hoses a use the same banjo fitting, there are no better ones as far as I know. Saint just has a gold ano coloring. There would be no difference in feel. You can actually go on ebay/other bike sites and buy a box of 10 BH90 1700mmm hoses which works on all banjo calipers; I happened to have done that. Just needed the correct caliper fitting. I swap parts all the time so I've tried several different combos.

mtbr member
    May 2020

New question here. XT 8000 Levels with 7120 calippers?

Just note that there were BH-59 Banjos too, I have no experience with them to tell you compatibility. All BH90 hoses a use the same banjo fitting, there are no better ones as far as I know. Saint just has a gold ano coloring. There would be no difference in feel. You can actually go on ebay/other bike sites and buy a box of 10 BH90 1700mmm hoses which works on all banjo calipers; I happened to have done that. Just needed the correct caliper fitting. I swap parts all the time so I've tried several different combos.

Hi fellas, thank you for this post. Kinda help needed. First Q than story.

Q:
    Should I use XT 8000 levers with SLX 7120 calipers? My bike is full XT but front caliper is 2 piston. My weight is 98kg and I do dh-trails.

Now the story:
    I bought hartail last mounth with mt400 brakes, realised that brakes are the weakest point of almost full slx bike with 29" wheels, so bought 7120 front kit and been happy for 50km of trails.

Few days ago after I noticed that my frame is bended in the rear. So I went to the dealer and they accepted warranty issue and gave me money back so I decided to bought full suss bike to avoid this to happen again.

The new suss bike is full xt8000 and got only 2 piston brakes. So I went home yesterday and first thing done was pedals and brake swap..

Now.. I feel like 7120 is more plastic feeling and less biting levels then XT. Even comparing directly to the rear and front I can notice that front 4 piston needs to warm up before braking better.

And yes, I put slightly used pads on new rotors because pads been on same new diameter rotors before. I know its not ideal.. kinda..

Please, pros, help.

Is SLX7120 better than XT8000? Must say rear brakes great so do not need to change rear, they bike pretty great.

So should I keep XT with 2 piston as is or should I stay with front 7120 set.

Yes, Levers of XT feels better. Way better. But I do not care about esthetics, I need safety. So would you recommend to keep XT levers and install them with SLX7120 caliper?

Thank you very much
    Andrew
    Prague

PS: Kinda confused now.

mtbr member
    If you have a full set of M7120 they should be great; are the pads and calipers clean since moving them to a new bike? Maybe the pads got soiled in the swap? You may have to bed in the pads to the new rotors? You could try cleaning the rotors with alcohol then do a light sand on the pads to break the glaze then bed them in again?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    If you have a full set of M7120 they should be great; are the pads and calipers clean since moving them to a new bike? Maybe the pads got soiled in the swap? You may have to bed in the pads to the new rotors? You could try cleaning the rotors with alcohol then do a light sand on the pads to break the glaze then bed them in again?

Thank you, I would try to do that and let all know.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    So after inspection of the pads, one is demaged like 5% of one pad cracked and droped somewhere. Seems the big deal was to cheek them before giving a new life. Rotor seem to have 0.5mm eight. Not demaged, but after brushing pads, cleaning rotors, resetting pistons.. well, tommorow about to do 50-70km of hard trails and give some feedback.

All automotive spots rule - new rotors - new pads. New pads - ok with old rotors. Do not brake rules they are there for a reason. It was a pain to calibrate them. So I would tell the result. I'm like 50/50 to get new pads now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XT M8000 lever with XT M8120 caliper?-photo5906495968591852628.jpg  

XT M8000 lever with XT M8120 caliper?-photo5906495968591852629.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I did testings few moments ago, and slx now brakes way better then before. Cleaning and brushing of the pads, rotors, calibrating helped. Feeling of XT is more like biting, that I do like and prefer more metal materials of the leveler then SLX plastic without touch of dots. Well, must say calipper itself is better on SLX 7120 and overall set is more controllable and forgiving on the corners while I'm having them on the front. Nevertheless they do brake at least as good as XT for sure. I would change pads to metal ones because it is still not proper comparison. I like the design of new SLX and people say they don't like blue. Well, it's actually more black then blue, just little chemeleon red-blue sparkle and looks blue on pictures. If I had no SLX set just laying around I would not consider changing to the slx of course, just directly to the new 8120. Do not care about what is better, xt or slx.. both works great. Tmrw I would give hard testing to my new bike, with racings, hard jumps, flow corners and hope to survive. After that inspect the breaks and give feedback.

Thank you guys for help here, because I thought SLX would be worse then XT I have.. plus fact my bike is full xt made me sceptical.. After cleaning stuff must say would not go back now, and still curious how things would stand on trails.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    So here I am to give some feedback.

During short runs around the corner I can't clearly feel that XT 8000 is better then SLX 7120. . XT feels more biting and solid, metal leveler gives you feeling of the more rubust construction.

Yesterday I did over 70km of trails.. well, its a lot. Every 20km did inspection of the gear and must admit I had to calibrate front pads due the used implementation on the new rotor.

7120 are loud, so during braking it sounds like train. If you are looking for quite brakes, do not believe what ad says. I personally love that huge desturbing braking sound. Because it makes you be noticed while triling with slower racer in a front of you.

XT8000 were great on the rear and I have no problem with them at all. They are strong, solid, sensetive.. and I do trust them.

So yet to tell if there is any difference.. well, on short run it almost feels like old XT are better, more controllable and biting.. while slx is slow, little boring and weak in comparison. Everything change to the opposite after they warm up.

During hot laps, I had no problem with my 95kg and 29" bike with front slx. I can't say they are the best brakes on the planet, but surely best I've driven. They did their job better especially on high speed braking and demanded less finger power.

So now it stays as is. And I hope would help someone considering any upgrade. If you have slx 7120 do not go back to xt 8000.. while having xt8000 you can consider upgrading to slx or new xt. There would be no night and day. If you do need better braking system, you'r welcome. Be sure to clean, degrease and fill whole system before final decision.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just throwing in another confirmation that yes you can easily upgrade m8000's to the newer 4 piston m8120 caliper. Super easy, the brake line is compatible. Just use the banjo that comes with the 8120 caliper, bleed & you're ready to bed em in & ride. Just made the swap today on my front brake and it's awesome . Gives that extra power I was lacking in front on super steep descents after tossing these brakes on my 29'r.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29