mtbr member
    Feb 2017

XT M8000 11-42 cassette creaking

I just recently switched from 1x10 to 1x11 the weather was finally nice enough to get out for first trail ride. Previously I have been on flat ground rides with no noise but was lower in gear range. No noise in 42t but the 4 below is making creaking/pinging sound under load. I can back pedal in all high gears including 42t with not dropping down any gears. I've tried grease no luck cleaned and then tried anti seize no better. I am running hope pro 4 hub with spacer cassette is torqued properly. I'm out of ideas hopefully someone can direct me in right direction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just throwing it out there but maybe your chainline is off a tad? Wheels fully seated in the dropouts?
    And you're positive it's coming from the cassette? Bikes have weird ways of transferring noise to throw you off.

Are you running the M8000 crank?

I installed the M8000 with 11-46 cassette, raceface turbine cranks and stout xc hubs last week and it's been gravy for the first 18 or so miles.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Chainline is a possibility. I figured being I could back pedal thru all low end gears I had to be close. Hub configuration is thru axle snugged up. I put my 10 speed stuff back on and no sound. Running slx crank with raceface Nw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    So I sorted it out was rear derailleur clutch. Got pissed and mounted GoPro to rear swing arm so I could see what was going on. During hard pedaling causing bob was when noise was present. Could see derailleur jerking back and forth in video. After hours of trial and error. The more I rode it the sound slowly started going away. It's still pretty cold here in northern Michigan. Long story short lubed and readjusted clutch and pretty silent now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Had that happen on brand new XT deraileur clutch also. Had to pull the roller out, clean and grease. I figured mine out by going along a pump track I had that creaking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlate79 View Post
    So I sorted it out was rear derailleur clutch. Got pissed and mounted GoPro to rear swing arm so I could see what was going on. During hard pedaling causing bob was when noise was present. Could see derailleur jerking back and forth in video. After hours of trial and error. The more I rode it the sound slowly started going away. It's still pretty cold here in northern Michigan. Long story short lubed and readjusted clutch and pretty silent now.
    Do you ride with the clutch on? I live in minnesota, similar climate (obviously), and ride pretty much exclusively XC trails. I've had no issues at all running a 1x without the clutch engaged, as long as I have a good narrow wide ring on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Clutch is supposed to help with chain slap why would you not want to use it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I do ride with clutch on. https://youtu.be/IJn5kkJuFyY Here is small clip not the best but you can hear it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_MTB_22 View Post
    Clutch is supposed to help with chain slap why would you not want to use it?
    I don't get much chainslap, plus use chainstay covers or guards. I've noticed the shifting isn't nearly as smooth with the clutch engaged. Downhill riders i can see needing it but XC I don't feel it's necessary in most cases, for me anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Google search brought me here. I have annoying popping and pinging on a new XT m8000 11-42 cassette. Jut had the lbs re-tension the spokes in my rear wheel because that's what it sounded like was the problem. It wasn't. Haven't tried turning the clutch off. Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I would investigate the clutch mech… lube and adjust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll take a look at the clutch. I should mention that the drivetrain has about 125 miles on it. It seems the noise is only there when on the last three cogs while under load, like a steep climb. Sure seems like the last cog cluster to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Same problem I had. Last 3 cogs under a load. After cleaning, lube and adjusting the clutch noise went away. After few months had to do it again as noise came back.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlate79 View Post
    After cleaning, lube and adjusting the clutch noise went away.

What exactly are you 'adjusting' ?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Clutch tension.