mtbr member
    Jan 2009

XT Di2 questions - can I run larger than 42T with Syncro shift, etc?

My current set-up is the following:
    - Scott Spark 29er (external routing) -
    - SRAM GX 2x10 -- 36x24 front; 10x40 rear (shimano rear cassette I believe)
    - Wheels are DT Swiss Spline (10 speed currently, not totally sure which freehub I have and if it's easy to convert to 11 speed for Di2)

I'm in the process of buying the parts for the groupset but am planning on having my LBS do the conversion.

1. I'd like to run internal battery in seatpost if possible, but I'm assuming I'll need to run the rest of the system externally since that's the way my frame is set-up currently. Before I buy an internal battery, Do I need to make sure that my seatpost has some kind of an external port to run the cable?

2. I like the idea of expanded gear range of a 2x system and still being able to have seamless shifting of front der and using Syncro shift to run both derailleurs. I also have bad knees and want to run the largest cassette possible. Shimano says that the max cassette I can run with a 2x system would be a 42T, although I have heard people talking in other forums about being able to run up to a 46T rear cassette by running 1 shifter (Syncro Shift) and programming the unit to avoid certain gear combs (ie - avoiding the big/big combo). Anybody know if this is possible??
    I guess another option would be to change my front ring which is already a 36/24 to a 22 small ring (although this is a big jump for the front der.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MHCBH View Post
    My current set-up is the following:
    - Scott Spark 29er (external routing) -
    - SRAM GX 2x10 -- 36x24 front; 10x40 rear (shimano rear cassette I believe)
    - Wheels are DT Swiss Spline (10 speed currently, not totally sure which freehub I have and if it's easy to convert to 11 speed for Di2)

I'm in the process of buying the parts for the groupset but am planning on having my LBS do the conversion.

1. I'd like to run internal battery in seatpost if possible, but I'm assuming I'll need to run the rest of the system externally since that's the way my frame is set-up currently. Before I buy an internal battery, Do I need to make sure that my seatpost has some kind of an external port to run the cable?

2. I like the idea of expanded gear range of a 2x system and still being able to have seamless shifting of front der and using Syncro shift to run both derailleurs. I also have bad knees and want to run the largest cassette possible. Shimano says that the max cassette I can run with a 2x system would be a 42T, although I have heard people talking in other forums about being able to run up to a 46T rear cassette by running 1 shifter (Syncro Shift) and programming the unit to avoid certain gear combs (ie - avoiding the big/big combo). Anybody know if this is possible??
    I guess another option would be to change my front ring which is already a 36/24 to a 22 small ring (although this is a big jump for the front der.)

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    Your wheels will take the 11 speed cassette ( for mtb, 8/9/10 and 11 are the same cassette width...road is different)

1 Yes....your seat tube needs to have a port to run the wire in. Or you can use the external battery which mounts to the water bottle mounts.

2....I have no idea. I have never set up syncro shift

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I run an XT syncro shift with a Sram 10-42 and 36/26 front. You can set up the shift map with the XT derailleur to accommodate the 11-46t in syncro mode. Just make sure you set up both S1 and S2 maps to avoid the big/big combination. I have mine set up this way just because of the chainline on the big/big adds a fair amount of resistance/friction to the system. I can feel it in the stand pedaling by hand.
    I've been running a 1x for years now and had my current bike with a xt di2 set up 1x with the hopes of running an e13 9-46 cassette. The cassette didn't work on my Scalpel so I just switch to the 2x sycro last week. I ran 2x syncro all last season and really like it.