mtbr member
    Jan 2005

SRAM 10-42 cassette + Shimano xtr 11-speed derailleur

Anyone know if this combination would work? IMO that would be the best of both worlds.

I'm just not sure if the shimano derailleur would shift properly onto the 10 tooth cog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Kind of cool it's your first post in 9 years!
    Anyway, the question asked seems to be the most popular one these days for Shimano fans tired of SRAM shifters. Like me!

I think only a few have the cassette and the rest are simply waiting to get a derailleur and shifter to work with the 10-42.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    how about shifting into the 42T cog?
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    It works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    It works.

Great. Any more feedback on this now that the system is available?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    More info in drivetrain forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Is the 9000 availiable? I haven't seen it anywhere?

meow meow
    subscribed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    More riders reporting perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It works just fine.

I'm using XTR 9000 shifter / derailleur with SRAM XX1 (10/42) cassette. It's tricky to adjust, as with any any XX1 items, but once everything is adjusted properly, no issues with shifting at all.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

What did you have to do to adjust perfectly?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BJF View Post
    What did you have to do to adjust perfectly?
    The "trick" is to properly adjust the b-screw. The way I found it to work is to let the air out of the shock to get the shock to the normal riding sag. With the sag in the shock, adjust b-screw as needed. Once b-screw is set, both limit screws can be set. Once the above is done, pump the air back in the shock.

If all done properly, Shimano XTR shifter/derailleur combo will work flawlessly with XX1 cassette. I have almost 100 miles at this point on XTR / XX1 and not a single problem.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Dreys - Are you using the GS or SGS dreaileur? And what size chainring are you running? Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhey24 View Post
    Dreys - Are you using the GS or SGS dreaileur? And what size chainring are you running? Thank you
    SGS (long cage) derailleur.

Chainring: 32T

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Why would you pick medium over long or vice versa?

I'm running a 30 tooth in the front. Does that matter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Why would you pick medium over long or vice versa?

I'm running a 30 tooth in the front. Does that matter?
    The size of the cage for the rear derailleur would depend on the size of the largest cog in the rear.

A very general formula is 36t or lower - medium cage, 36t or larger - large cage.

You need to have a derailleur that will keep the chain tension at the largest cog, yet will not let your chain being loose on the smallest cog.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

So with all 11 speed cassettes being 40 or bigger why would you ever buy the medium?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So with all 11 speed cassettes being 40 or bigger why would you ever buy the medium?
    You wouldn't

For example, SRAM's 11 speed (XX1 / X01 / X1) doesn't even offer medium cage in their lineup.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Cool

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That formula makes no sense regarding the Shimano 11 speed line than being that their cassette is 40t. Why would they make a deraileur that would never work with their cassette? A buddy of mine is running the GS mid cage with 10-42 and it is fine per him.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There is another guy on the board running the mid as well with no issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It is probably possible to run mid-cage on hardtail with no chain growth. Some guys run 27.5" wheels on 26" bikes too

Personally I wouldn't run GS with large 36+ rear cog, especially on full suspension.

Is it possible to get away with mid-cage on 11-speed? Maybe.
    Is it recommended? Not really.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Just did a search and saw the cage length really is dependent on if you use 2 or 3 rings up front. For 3 you need long and and 2 you need medium. With this logic I would think medium would work with 1x11

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Called Shimano. They obviously wanted nothing to do with the idea I was running a 42 but they did tell me for a 1x11 set up you use mid cage everytime

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Called Shimano. They obviously wanted nothing to do with the idea I was running a 42 but they did tell me for a 1x11 set up you use mid cage everytime
    This is it for sure. I'm running XTR 1X11 on my TallboyC and it is flawless. It will easily handle the Sram 10-42 as well.

You will only need to use the long cage if you're going 2X11 or 3X11. Of course it will work with 1X11 as well.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Got mine set up today.

Couple issues
    1. I'm a retard and cut the chain too short.
    2. When I'm in the 42 and I spin the pedals backwards it falls off sprocket. I had the same issue with the xo stuff. Any ideas? It's making me nuts.

Thanks

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Got mine set up today.

Couple issues
    1. I'm a retard and cut the chain too short.
    2. When I'm in the 42 and I spin the pedals backwards it falls off sprocket. I had the same issue with the xo stuff. Any ideas? It's making me nuts.

Thanks
    What's your chainline or what's your crank/ring combo?

It isn't uncommon for this to happen and it definitely helps to have a chainline slightly left of center.
    Tallboy3c : Stigmata2 : Hightower LT

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Running race face next sl cranks with the cinch ring.

Longing for dirt
    Jun 2008
    The RF Cinch direct mount chain line is 51mm; XX1 crank chainline is 49mm. When you are in the 42t cog with a RF crank, the chain will be at a very slightly increased angle relative to Sram 1x cranks. The combo works fine although setup is a bit more difficult.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Any tips on set up?

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Added the two links to the chain and it seems to work well. Shifting is a but notchy but I haven't had a shimano shifter in years so not sure. Only issue is the pedaling backwards in the 42, the chain drops.

Here is a picture of the set up. This is with 4 links extra in the chain when the suspension was compressed as the instructions say.

Still can't get used to how these deraillers look bent forward. SRAM 10-42 cassette + Shimano xtr 11-speed derailleur-imageuploadedbytapatalk1423672801.187629.jpgSRAM 10-42 cassette + Shimano xtr 11-speed derailleur-imageuploadedbytapatalk1423672819.560000.jpg

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Can someone explain the clutch to me. When I turn it to on my bike won't shift properly.

I know I must be missing something.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Added the two links to the chain and it seems to work well. Shifting is a but notchy but I haven't had a shimano shifter in years so not sure. Only issue is the pedaling backwards in the 42, the chain drops.

Here is a picture of the set up. This is with 4 links extra in the chain when the suspension was compressed as the instructions say.

Still can't get used to how these deraillers look bent forward. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423672801.187629.jpg 
Views:	7303 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	963307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423672819.560000.jpg 
Views:	5693 
Size:	178.0 KB 
ID:	963308
    I bet your chain line is way off. When in the 42t & looking behind the bike, does it look like the chain is at a drastic angle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Not sure about chainline. I had this problem with sram too. I think I might just take it to a shop and have them mess with it for the fine tuning since when I engage the clutch it won't shift correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dreys View Post
    The size of the cage for the rear derailleur would depend on the size of the largest cog in the rear.

A very general formula is 36t or lower - medium cage, 36t or larger - large cage.

You need to have a derailleur that will keep the chain tension at the largest cog, yet will not let your chain being loose on the smallest cog.
    False, cage is all about take-up capacity. It's more about running 1x vs 2x vs 3x.

If you run 1x, you can use a short cage, 2x - medium cage, 3x - long cage. Since Shimano's only mountain 11spd derailleur at the moment is medium/long only, you use medium for 1x or 2x. Max cog size is inherent to the design. Meaning you could have a long cage 9spd derailleur still not be able to make it work with a 40T cassette cog.

You'll see derailleurs quoted with a max capacity. To find out if your derailleur will work with your steup, use:

(big ring minus little ring) plus (big cog minus little cog)
    (32 - 32) + (40-11) = 29
    example of 1x setup with 32T ring and 11-40 cassette

(36 - 26) + (40-11) = 39
    example of 2x setup with 36 and 26T rings with 11-40 cassette

So if your derailleur had a capacity of 35, it wouldn't work properly with the second example. It would only affect certain combinations, so it might work fine for your purposes, but not ALL gear combos would work.

Anyway, cage is about capacity, not cog size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dreys View Post
    You wouldn't

For example, SRAM's 11 speed (XX1 / X01 / X1) doesn't even offer medium cage in their lineup.
    What are you talking about? Their stuff is either unlabeled, as it is designed to be run 1x only and doesn't need a cage length option (explained above), or listed as medium cage.

SRAM 10-42 cassette + Shimano xtr 11-speed derailleur-untitled.png

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Local shop got clutch to work but claims xtr shift ratios and sram are different and bike will never shift well. Don't buy it.

I do think my kmc chain is loud. Should I have gone sram?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

42/28 Chain Rings With XTR Front Derailleur?

Is anybody running 42/28 chainrings with a XTR front derailleur (mechanical or Di2)? Or some combo of chainrings with a bigger than 10-tooth difference? The front derailleur is only spec'd to have a 10-tooth difference. I'm interested in running a SRAM crankset that I already have with Rotor 42/28 chainrings that I also already have.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Gave up on the sram cassette and KMC chain.

Updated my set up to a wolf ring 49mm driveline, XTR cassette and XTR chain. Now of course it all works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Just to add this works with mechanical but NOT electric xtr.
    If you running electric you are stuck with the 11-40

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chillie View Post
    Just to add this works with mechanical but NOT electric xtr.
    If you running electric you are stuck with the 11-40
    You have tried this and know it for a fact ? You have seen this setup fail ?
    The RD just doesn't have enough room to get up on the big cog or what ?

Its just hard to imagine the mech der would have no problem with it but the electric one would.

I've been teetering on the Di2 fence but this would be a major buzzkill, I'm loving my 2*11 XTR with the X01 cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    You have tried this and know it for a fact ? You have seen this setup fail ?
    The RD just doesn't have enough room to get up on the big cog or what ?

Its just hard to imagine the mech der would have no problem with it but the electric one would.

I've been teetering on the Di2 fence but this would be a major buzzkill, I'm loving my 2*11 XTR with the X01 cassette.
    I am running XTR 1x11 and kind of wishing I had gone with the SRAM cassette and XD driver. Just bought a Chris King hub set and went with the Shimano freehub. Now if I choose to change over it'll be a $400-$450 ordeal

30x11-40 is fine but 32x10-42 might be even better. That, and I'm sure the steel cogs on the SRAM cassette will outlast the titanium ones on the XTR cassette. The 40 and 42 cogs are both alu so I imagine that would be about the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Di2 DOES indeed work with SRAM 10-42. I've been using it without any problem for over a month now. Not one missed shift.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the real world feedback trauma-md.
    I'm back to dreamily contemplating Di2.
    I can afford it, but I'm not sure I want it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Then whatever you do, DONT test ride it....(you'll NEED it after that).

So much more beneficial than on the road bike with dura ace. The programmability and mechanical feel are just awesome. Each button has two clicks or detents and each detent can be programmed. Which means u can drop one or two cogs at a time with a quick push. And u can program the multi shift to occur with either or both detents. I have mine set up to multi shift only if you hold the second detent. I think this is how the new sram (we'll never make an electronic drivetrain) electronic group will shift. The paddle will work just like the regular double tap but if u hold them, they'll multi shift. I really like the more mechanical feel of these buttons compared to the minimal travel road di2 buttons.

Now if I could just guarantee I won't biff the derailleur off a rock....hmmm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    BJF, that really sounded like a b screw issue to me. I had all sorts of weird stuff happening before mtbr helped me sort that out. Was trying to go 1x 10 with M980 at the time. Now it's worked great for aver a year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi there,

I was hoping you could provide some insight on a similar setup I am building. I am going to have a 1x11 xtr rear der., xtr shifter, and a sram x01 10-42 cassette.

What kind of chain ring and ranks can I use? I was hoping to get XTR cranks, but does that limit me to shimano chainrings only? and if so, would that work with a sram cassette?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jensnorman View Post
    Hi there,

I was hoping you could provide some insight on a similar setup I am building. I am going to have a 1x11 xtr rear der., xtr shifter, and a sram x01 10-42 cassette.

What kind of chain ring and ranks can I use? I was hoping to get XTR cranks, but does that limit me to shimano chainrings only? and if so, would that work with a sram cassette?
    I think you want to match the cassette with the chain (SRAM cassette SRAM Chain). Going with an XTR crank would limit you to Shimano chainrings I think because of the weird BCD that they use. I would look at some direct mount SRAM or Race Face cranks for that setup personally.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jensnorman View Post
    Hi there,

I use Race Face Next cranks set up single, XTR RD, XTR chain and Sram 10-42 cassette. All works great. I agree to use a cinch style crank as the versatility is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by canmoman View Post
    I use Race Face Next cranks set up single, XTR RD, XTR chain and Sram 10-42 cassette. All works great. I agree to use a cinch style crank as the versatility is fantastic.
    I use Shimano XTR M9000 GS rear derailleur, Shimano XT M8000 shifter, Shimano XT M8000 crankset with Wolf Tooth 32t Narrow Wide chainring, SRAM X1 10-42 cassette and KMC Gold X11 SL chain. My drivetrain is not perfectly, because my chain is jumping and when I change gears, sometimes this change is slow. I don't know why. SRAM 10-42 cassette + Shimano xtr 11-speed derailleur-sem-t-tulo.jpg

I've read that KMC chain is not recommended to use with SRAM cassete and Shimano rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    With only a visual of the bike the one thing I do see is that you have a pretty tight bend in the cable housing going into the rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I need to change the cable? I've read in another topic that KMC chain is not good with Shimano 11v rear derailleur and cassete SRAM 10-42, but I think it does not make sense.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Your cable housing is definitely the problem.

People need to stop with this crap about the kmc chains. I've been using them with various cassettes and derailleurs on multiple bikes for years- 9, 10, and 11 spd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Your cable housing is definitely the problem.

People need to stop with this crap about the kmc chains. I've been using them with various cassettes and derailleurs on multiple bikes for years- 9, 10, and 11 spd.
    92gli, should I change my cable housing? What should I do?