Go ride!
    Dec 2011

Shimano XTR DI2 Weights

Well we got our first shipment in of the new Shimano XTR DI2 in! Here are a couple of pics of the weights on our scale as well as a comparison to the mechanical XTR 11 speed group! Both are in stock now. Super stoked on this as we are also a Yeti and Pivot Dealer and with their provisions for DI2 internal routing it has been making for some extremly clean builds! Feel free to shoot me an email at mo@probikesupply.com with any questions or to get yours today!

Shimano XTR DI2 Weights-di2-xtr-1.jpg

Shimano XTR DI2 Weights-di2-xtr-2.jpg

Shimano XTR DI2 Weights-di2-xtr-3.jpg

Shimano XTR DI2 Weights-di2-xtr-4.jpg

Shimano XTR DI2 Weights-di2-xtr-5.jpg
    Ride on!

Mo
    Yeti, Pivot, Ibis, Niner, Knolly
    Last edited by Pro Bike Supply; 02-11-2015 at 11:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Could you do a weight including everything required to make the bike 'tick'? i.e. cable housing, e-tube wiring, battery, etc. I realise that could add a bunch of variables for the Di2 so how about wiring for a large frame with the internal battery?

Thanks.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thehiredgun View Post
    Could you do a weight including everything required to make the bike 'tick'? i.e. cable housing, e-tube wiring, battery, etc. I realise that could add a bunch of variables for the Di2 so how about wiring for a large frame with the internal battery?

Thanks.
    Here is a rough estimate of what you are looking at XX1, XTR and XTR Di2:
    Shimano XTR Di2 9050 Electronic ($949.94/498g)
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR RD-M9050 Di2 GS (289 grams) $650
    Shifter - Shimano XTR SW-M9050 Di2 Right (64 grams) $225.00
    Junction A - XTR Di2 Digital Display Unit (30 grams) $150.00
    Junction B - Di2 Internal Frame Junction (7 grams) $29.99
    Battery - Shimano BTR2 Di2 Internal (58 grams) $159.99
    Wires - E-Tube Di2 Wire x 4 (50 grams) $119.96

Sram XX1 1x11 Mechanical ($509.00, 386g)
    Rear Deraileur - SRAM XX1 11spd (220 grams) $326.00
    Shifters - Sram XX1 Trigger Black/Grey (91 grams) $183.00
    Cable and Housing (75 grams) $0.00

Shimano XTR 9000 1x11 Mecahnical ($358.99, 408g)
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR 9000 GS (203 grams) $239.99
    Shifter - Shimano XTR 9000 11spd (130 grams) $119.00

This is rough estimate as we don't know exactly what length cables and housing you will need and it is also possible to setup Di2 without a Junction B although we prefer to use it in order to have less cables coming out of the display unit.

We also excluded the cranks and cassette and the majority of our builds have been with the Next SL cranks and X01 cassette (yes even with XTR).

All prices are listed as MSRP but as you can see online this isn't what we charge. We can also offer better pricing if this is part of a complete build.
    Last edited by Pro Bike Supply; 02-11-2015 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Excellent. Thanks for the information!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Bike Supply View Post
    Here is a rough estimate of what you are looking at XX1, XTR and XTR Di2:
    Shimano XTR Di2 9050 Electronic ($949.94/498g)
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR RD-M9050 Di2 GS (289 grams) $265.00
    Shifter - Shimano XTR SW-M9050 Di2 Right (64 grams) $225.00
    Junction A - XTR Di2 Digital Display Unit (30 grams) $150.00
    Junction B - Di2 Internal Frame Junction (7 grams) $29.99
    Battery - Shimano BTR2 Di2 Internal (58 grams) $159.99
    Wires - E-Tube Di2 Wire x 4 (50 grams) $119.96

Sram XX1 1x11 Mechanical ($509.00, 386g)
    Rear Deraileur - SRAM XX1 11spd (220 grams) $326.00
    Shifters - Sram XX1 Trigger Black/Grey (91 grams) $183.00

Shimano XTR 9000 1x11 Mecahnical ($358.99, 408g)
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano XTR 9000 GS (203 grams) $239.99
    Shifter - Shimano XTR 9000 11spd (130 grams) $119.00

This is rough estimate as we don't know exactly what length cables and housing you will need and it is also possible to setup Di2 without a Junction B although we prefer to use it in order to have less cables coming out of the display unit.

We also excluded the cranks and cassette and the majority of our builds have been with the Next SL cranks and X01 cassette (yes even with XTR).

All prices are listed as MSRP but as you can see online this isn't what we charge. We can also offer better pricing if this is part of a complete build.
    Thanks for the info, but aren't you forgetting the dedicated hub/wheel for the SRAM?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    They ran with the fact the majority of their builds have been with XO1 cassettes. You're right though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Has anyone figured out how you wire the shifters to the display unit/junction A ?

For road bikes they sell a front handlebar harness ($100+) that includes the a-junction. I assume that since they created this display unit for XTR they intend you to wire to it. But all of the standard e-tube cables come in long lengths for routing along the frame, the only short ones are in this front handlebar harness. My understanding, reinforced by the photos is that neither the shifters or the display unit come with wires.

I am not sure if you can disconnect the wires in the handlebar harness from the included a-junction, I assume you can, but obviously we don't want to buy a display unit and an extra a-junction. The long wires are $20 apiece, so spending $100 just to wire the two shifters seems excessive, and many will use only one shifter.

Anyone know how what is supposed to be used for this wiring ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Has anyone figured out how you wire the shifters to the display unit/junction A ?

For road bikes they sell a front handlebar harness ($100+) that includes the a-junction. I assume that since they created this display unit for XTR they intend you to wire to it. But all of the standard e-tube cables come in long lengths for routing along the frame, the only short ones are in this front handlebar harness. My understanding, reinforced by the photos is that neither the shifters or the display unit come with wires.

I am not sure if you can disconnect the wires in the handlebar harness from the included a-junction, I assume you can, but obviously we don't want to buy a display unit and an extra a-junction. The long wires are $20 apiece, so spending $100 just to wire the two shifters seems excessive, and many will use only one shifter.

Anyone know how what is supposed to be used for this wiring ?
    What size are you looking for? You can buy short ones online for the front easy enough (just got 250mm ones myself for my build), though they're the same price as the longer ones ($25), and plug straight into one of the 3 plugs in the display.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Oh I guess 250mm would be about the right size, I guess that seemed longer in my head than it really is (10"), which is also what she said. Still seems overly long for the right shifter to the display unit but I guess you're right those sizes will work. Seems like a 150mm would really keep it tight on the handlebars. I guess I was thinking there was special handlebar sized cables or something since the roadbikes have a special set just for the handlebars.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Oh I guess 250mm would be about the right size, I guess that seemed longer in my head than it really is (10"), which is also what she said. Still seems overly long for the right shifter to the display unit but I guess you're right those sizes will work. Seems like a 150mm would really keep it tight on the handlebars. I guess I was thinking there was special handlebar sized cables or something since the roadbikes have a special set just for the handlebars.
    Shimano does make 150mm cables but they are currently out of stock. They should be available in 1-2 weeks. E-Tube wires are available in 50mm increments starting at 150mm so you can measure your bike and get the exact length you need.

On XTR Di2 the display unit is the junction A and includes 3 E-Tube and one charging port. Depending on the routing of your bike you can run one wire from your shifter, one wire to the battery and one wire to the rear derailleur, or run just one cable to a junction B inside the frame and then run the respective wires to the battery and rear derailleur. By running a Junction B you will only have one wire from your shifter to the display unit and then one wire running into you frame.

Using shirk wrap to attach your wires to the brake hose keeps everything looking nice and clean although you do need to detach your hose from the levers to do this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good info, thanks. Heat shrinked cable runs sounds really sano* but kind of a maintenance pain and I avoid opening my brake systems at all costs !

*some '80's BMX lingo for you there

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So it is confirmed that XX1/XO1/X1 cassette and chain do work with the XTR Di2 system?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If go with a XX1 cassette, should I get the long cage RD or medium cage one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you really want to cut weight, you can substitute the R600 climbing shifter remote for the XTR shifter. It might be less stable on the bar since it's zip tied, but it takes very little pressure to engage the buttons and its never slipped on my road bar. It weighs 18g and is hard wired in the shifter (one less wire to buy).

I have tested this and indeed it will work as an independent shifter with the XTR group.

You can also save 20g by using the regular junction A vs the fancy LCD XTR version.

Slowest Rider
    I'm installing a Di2 3x11 on my new Bronson. I am still trying to figure out the system in spite reading through the Shimano configuration and service manuals.

I'm using a single right hand SW-M9050 switch with the SC-M9050 display (with Junction A). I am then using a battery SM-BTR2 within the SM-BTC1 bottle mount case (with Junction B). I think this setup is correct?

So now, do I also need the SM-BCR2 Battery Charger and SM-PCE1 interface to the PC, or just one of these? Or is a simple USB connector good enough. It appears to charge through a custom port on the display that needs the charger, and program through one of the wire ports that needs the interface. Is that right?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @BigLarry: Your setup mentionned is correct. Altough you don't need the SM-PCE1 Interface to connect your bike to the PC, the SM-BCR2 acts as well as an interface. You will be able to change the settings of the derailleur, shifter etc. in the E-Tube programm using the SM-BCR2 charger.

For a cleaner looking setup, you could also hide the battery in the seattube (wrapped in foam-wrap) and use the stealth dropper post hole at the bottom of the seattube to pass the Di2 cables through. I did this on my Santa Cruz Solo. It depends on the length of your seatpost tough, if this setup is possible. Have a look at this link how to secure the battery in the seatpost:
    Glory Cycles Product Reviews: Install Internal Battery SM-BTR2 on Ultegra Di2 Bike
    For this setup you would also need a the SM-JC41 junction that goes between the battery and the derailleurs (it acts as junction B).

I hope this helps a little bit.

Cheers

Slowest Rider
    Thanks Randan for the setup information. That link was also helpful.

I'll only purchase the SM-BCR2 for the interface.

I was looking at putting the battery in the Bronson seat post, which has a hole for stealth seat post routing. But I want a stealth seat post (the Reverb), and I'm not sure both can fit, either due to seat post length or fitting cables for both battery and post through the provided hole. And can the seat post cable get past the small battery underneath? I could go external on the seat post, but then, why not just keep the battery external instead?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    BigLarry: Check out the pictures from Soho Bikes London from Decembre 24 on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sohobikeslo...17933758324035 (I can't link it directly unfortunately). They have a Santa Cruz Solo witha a stealth dropper with XTR Di2 2x11 and put the battery in the seatpost as well. It will fit (depending on the lenght of your seatpost). I can measure how much space there is left above the battery in the seattube if you want on m setup (i use a KS LEV with external routing though). I chose to store the battery in the seattube because this external battery holder is very big.

Slowest Rider
    Thanks for the good info randan!

Been looking at your suggestions for the internal battery configuration in the seatpost. Unfortunately, the linked picture is out of focus at the seat post, but it looks like the Di2 cables are much narrower than the hydraulic or mechanical cables, so they can easily fit into the same hole for the stealth dropper along with its cable. Likewise, the battery looks to be much smaller diameter than the seat tube, leaving room on the side for the stealth dropper cable. Thanks for letting me know this works! I can't see where they put the SM-JC41 junction box in any of the pictures either. I suppose it's small enough to go anywhere?

Reading the previous link to Glory Cycles, the figure has a Note 2: Can't use diagnostic feature on E-Tube Project Software.
    Is this because they're interfacing through the SM-BCR2 battery charger instead of the SM-PCE1 interface to the PC, or some other reason (like connecting through the SM-EW90 instead of the SC-M9050 Display like I'd do for my XTR setup)?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes the Di2 cables are very thin, so you will be able to fit both Di2 cables and the dropper post cable through the hole at the bottom of the seattube. And yes the battery is much smaller in diameter than the seattube, so there will be space for the cable beside the battery. I put the SM-JC41 junction beneath the battery but still in the seattube. But you could also use some tape and put it on the outside of the frame for better accessibility like on this bike here (not mine).

Shimano XTR DI2 Weights-1780389-9lzp5nvp9ct9-bike_checkrenewildhaber_24-large.jpg

Slowest Rider
    randan, don't I need three Di2 cables going into the seat post hole? One input from the handle bar and two outputs to the derailleurs?

My 3x11 Di2 Santa Cruz Bronson setup may be similar enough to your 2x11 Santa Cruz Solo setup to do the same. I have an XL frame, and can get a shorter dropper post, which allow for some room.

I just looked at my Reverb Stealth, and the internal central connection at the post bottom adds maybe another 110 mm to the internal length in order to get the cable to the side wall. If I exchange for a shorter (380 mm) post, I might get 100 mm of usable length (and maybe yet another 80 mm if I can use the extra tube length below the entry hole). How long is the battery? I can't find that dimension anywhere? And I may need some extra length for the connectors on each end?

Looks like maybe too tight of a fit. I might need to go for an external dropper, which may be less cumbersome than the external battery. I need to get some of the components in hand and check more accurately on how it all works.

[Edit: On closer look, I now see your second link to Soho Bikes is actually a Santa Cruz 5010c (formerly called the Solo), with a nearly identical geometry to my Santa Cruz Bronson. So there's hope to have both dropper post and Di2 battery be internal.]
    Last edited by BigLarry; 03-07-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Slowest Rider
    Looked all over the internet and Shimano spec sheets without success.

Does anyone know the length and diameter of the battery SM-BTR2?

[Edit: Found the dimensions of the Shimano SM-BTR2 internal battery as 17mm x 160mm on this thread. Can anyone confirm?]

mtbr member
    May 2005
    BigLarry: Yes you are right, there will be three Di2 cables, that enter/exit the hole: one that goes from the shifter to the battery and two that go from the battery to the front and rear derailleur. Check out this link from Pivot Cycles how to connect everything: http://www.pivotcycles.com/wp-conten...-Schematic.pdf (it's on a frame with internal routing, but you can see how to connect the battery with the junction etc.).
    Concering the dimensions of the battery, check out this link: shimano internal battery sm-btr2 and cervelo s5 -

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Here is my custom built Fuel EX Di2 build... Unfortunately I didnt weigh everything before I built her up.Shimano XTR DI2 Weights-small-fuel.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	SMALL FUEL.jpg 
Views:	1544 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	972067

Parts as follows:
    Fuel EX 9.8 29 frameset
    Fox F32 120 CTD with Heritage graphics
    Fox Float, DRCV, RE:aktiv, CTD
    Full 2x11 XTR Di2 M9070 groupset (with RHS shifter only)...
    XTR M9020 wheelset
    Reverb Stealth
    PRO Tharsis XC carbon bar and stem (Di2 battery is located in the steerer)

Only hack I had to do to the frame was drill out the cable stop inside the frame on the LHS of the headtube. This allowed me to run the Di2 cables inside to the BB. I fed the junction up through the BB, connecting the wires from the FD and RD at this point.

First ride last weekend and man am I stoked with it!

Since I am only running a RHS shifter I run it in synchro mode all the time. I have set one mode to be 'strong-legs' the other 'weak-legs'. The difference is the S1 basically stays in the big ring till you need to bail out, where as the S2 (weak) runs into the small ring sooner. The warning beep before shifting the front ring is much more usefull that I thought it would be. Usually I hate anything like this (hello beeping Garmin).

I also set the screen to display info for longer as I found this useful.

Happy to take more detailed shots of the components if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'd ike to understand your cable routing better - you put the battery in the head tube but then ran the wires through the downtube ? and so you brought the cablefrom the display unit into the head (or down ?) tube by drilling out an already existing manufacturer location?
    I'm surprised you got the battery in the steerer tube - so did you then use a junction b down at the BB or do you have a junction in the head tube with the battery ? If s what juction is it ?

Do you know what length e-cables you have ? Especially the handlbar one, is that just a standard 300mm one from the shifter to the display ? I imagine most of that cable is bundled up as it would be very long (I guess I'm wondering if there is some other even shorter cable that I don't know about )

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My battery is in the steerer tube. The PRO Tharsis XC stem has no compression cap (it uses a collar instead) this leaves this space empty.

I then ran a 200mm wire back up the SC-M9050 System Display (Junction A).

Since I am only using a the RHS shifter I ran a 300m inside the PRO bars to the same port.

Then I had a 1000mm wire out of the system display (it has three ports) down into the LHS of the frame, this wire ran down to the BB area where I installed a JC-41 (4-port junction).

Out of this I ran one wire to the FD and another to the RD. Cant remember what lengths... probably a 200mm and a 700mm from memory.

Only places the wires are showing on the outside is the short length from the display to the LHS of the headtube, and then those two wires running from the bottom of the downtube (where the dropper goes out) to the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I got my final parts for my Di2 Spark setup. Will try to put it all together in the next few days.
    Here`s what I have:
    2013 Scott Spark 900 RC frame, HMX Carbon, M
    Fox Factory Series FLOAT iCD, Kashima coated, 165x38 rear shock (2014)
    Fox Factory Series FLOAT 32 29" 100mm FIT iCD, Kashima coated, 15QR (2014)
    SRAM XX1 X-SYNC Crankset 11-speed - Direct Mount 32 Teeth - GXP QF168 - black
    Shimano XTR Di2 11-speed Rear Derailleur RD-M9050 GS Shadow+
    Shimano XTR Di2 FIREBOLT Shifter SW-M9050 right side 11-speed
    SRAM X01 Cassette XG-1195 10-42T 11-speed
    KMC X11 SL DLC Super Light Chain 11-speed black
    Shimano XTR Di2 SC-M9050 display unit
    Shimano Di2 Battery SM-BTR2 with Ritchey battery mount

So it`s going to be all black mix and match groupset. Hope it works