mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Shimano SLX Lever Removal - HELP?

Hey folks,

Just picked up a set of Shimano SLX m666's and bent the left lever on the first ride. I can't figure out how to get it off so I can replace it. Any thoughts, tricks, tips, or general instructions would be really helpful.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOwens14 View Post
    Hey folks,

Just picked up a set of Shimano SLX m666's and bent the left lever on the first ride. I can't figure out how to get it off so I can replace it. Any thoughts, tricks, tips, or general instructions would be really helpful.

Thanks!
    Referring to the diagram below, first you need to prise out the small plastic cap that covers the lever fixing bolt (part 7). Undo the lever fixing bolt with an allen key, then you push out the lever axle (part 5), to release the lever blade (part 6).

You should be able to order a new lever blade from Shimano through any LBS by quoting part number Y8VJ98030 (left hand lever member unit).

Shimano SLX Lever Removal - HELP?-m666.jpg

Edit: Quoted wrong part number in original post!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Awesome! That's perfect, thank you. Any tips on prying out the cap on the lever fixing bolt (#7)?

mtbr member
    Awesome! That's perfect, thank you. Any tips on prying out the cap on the lever fixing bolt (#7)?
    It is recessed quite deep in it's hole, but is soft rubber, and can be coaxed out with a bit of fishing with a seal pick or similarly pointed tool - even a toothpick or paperclip would probably do it!

PS: Note the edit to my first post, I gave you the wrong part number in the original.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks!

Just wanna say that this is a lousy, frustrating job. The difference between a new blade and a whole lever is like $15. I'm happy I accomplished the job but in the future I'm just spending the $15 instead of trying to align three pieces, one of them a spring in order to set that stupid pin.

/RANTOFF

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Just wanna say that this is a lousy, frustrating job. The difference between a new blade and a whole lever is like $15. I'm happy I accomplished the job but in the future I'm just spending the $15 instead of trying to align three pieces, one of them a spring in order to set that stupid pin.

/RANTOFF
    Would anyone know if the l/r brake lever blades are interchangeable? Just broke my left blade and have an extra right blade. Looks to be symmetrical, but I'd like to be sure before starting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jp716 View Post
    Would anyone know if the l/r brake lever blades are interchangeable? Just broke my left blade and have an extra right blade. Looks to be symmetrical, but I'd like to be sure before starting.
    To answer my question, the lever blades are interchangeable. Installed a right-side blade on the left w/o issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post

/RANTOFF
    I know this is old thread but I bent the left brake lever on my shimano slx's and couldn't agree more with how much a pita this is. The diagram doesn't even show the spring. I just sort of figured it out by observation of the other lever. Ugggh! You think shimano could have made a hole where one side of the spring could go in as your trying to line everything up. Oh well, at least its done (till I bend it next time). Kind of want my Juicy 5's back as never had a lever bend in 4 years of multiple falls. I've only been rockin the shimano's for 3 months.
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta2010 View Post
    Kind of want my Juicy 5's back..
    Trust me, you don't.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bumping this old thread. Had a silly fall today and bent one of my Zee lever blades very badly. I have an old Zee lever with a broken reservoir cap that I'm going to take the lever blade from to replace mine with. Sounds like a frustrating job but possible so I'm goign to give it a go.

My question: Can I leave my brake lever connected up to the hose or do I need to remove the lever first, fix and then reinstall?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lornholio View Post
    Can I leave my brake lever connected up to the hose or do I need to remove the lever first, fix and then reinstall?
    I don't know but I would try the former, as what do you have to loose? Personally, my first thought would be to try and swap the levers with the brake in place. I do a lot of complex mechanical work and as a rule I try to remove parts in as few steps as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Fixed the lever now 😊. Pretty straightforward, just a bit fiddly. No problem to do it on the bike without disconnecting the hose..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lornholio View Post
    Fixed the lever now 😊. Pretty straightforward, just a bit fiddly. No problem to do it on the bike without disconnecting the hose..
    And the morel of the story is, never throw anything away! ;0)

mtbr member
    Well I never tossed anything out bike related but after just moving to a new home, I had regrets. Huge amount of parts to move and now need a place to store stuff, some stuff way outdated. Just gave away a Red Crank 53/39 and a bunch of wheels, hubs and other assorted parts. While convenient when you need something, storing and moving it made it not worth it. So I am just keeping what I am using except for spare hangers, tires, sealant and the like. I am looking for a home for Trail 9 Brakes.

mtbr member
    I keep what I have the space for. I even have a snapped in two SRAM derailleur in a drawer because maybe someone will need a bolt or a cage off it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    just found a pretty neat vid on youtube where he completely disassembles and reassembles the brake lever. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z43tGeGkYec
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C