mtbr member

Good job! Shimano Deore XT M8000 11-speed groupset

Hi All,
    The new Shimano Deore XT M8000 11-speed groupset look's great
    May have to wait for the new M8000 to build up my new Bikepacking bike!
    Shimano Deore XT M8000 11-speed - first look - BikeRadar

Kiwi Pete

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    When is it available?

mtbr member
    How! at your LBS in most of the world.
    Online next year 😈

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bike shop here in Arkansas says they don't know when it will be available

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got mine ordered monday and it should be here end of this week or next. Rep said it was already shipping. I'll keep yall posted on when it comes in.
    [2018 Specialized Chisel - Custom build]
    [Niner Air 9 Alloy - Rigid SS]

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Did you get 1x or 2x?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ordered 1x
    No cranks or brakes though. Just RD, shifter and cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    got the new XT in today! Should be mounting it up this evening!
    I'll post pics when I get them.

My shop actually got 2 extra set ups in as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ride report!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll get on that for sure!
    One of my riding buddies and I built up a bike with it last night and are planning to take it out and compare it to the X01 I have on my current bike.
    Riding it around the neighborhood while getting it tuned up and adjusted it feels awesome!
    Incredibly crisp and very smooth.
    I'll update with more after this ride.

Here are some pics and FYI the non-ispec shifters come with a gear read out, as shown. Just FYI if you hate these like I do.
    Not sure if the Ispec ones do as well, but these do!

Shimano Deore XT M8000 11-speed groupset-img_8948.jpgShimano Deore XT M8000 11-speed groupset-img_8950.jpgShimano Deore XT M8000 11-speed groupset-img_8951.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    FIRST RIDE:

Well, I was asked to do a ride report so here it is...
    One of my riding buddies and I built up a 2013 Specialized Epic with the new XT M8000 on Wednesday night and WOW. Trying it out around the street while getting all the tuning done, it was immediately noticeable just how good this could potentially be.
    We got everything tuned up with the XT Cassette and the shifting felt so smooth and precise in the stand that we were incredibly excited to get it out on the trail, because obviously, in the stand and on the trail are two TOTALLY different things.

Thursday evening we got out on the trails after work and had one bike (2013 Epic) set up with the new XT M8000 and a 2015 Epic WC set up with X01. The set up of these bikes is exactly the same aside from drivetrain and frame.
    Easton EC70 cockpit, MAgura MTS brakes, Roval Carbon wheels... well... everything was the same haha

PARKING LOT TEST:
    We tested both around the parking lot, side by side, and the shifting is a completely different feel.
    The only complaint we had about the XT right off the bat was how firm the shift levers are, which proved to not be a problem once we hit the trails as it gives great feedback on just when you're shifting.
    The shifting of the XT was VERY good, it's very smooth (in spite of the firm shift levers) and it is SO QUICK. The shifts are IMMEDIATE, there is no lag between clicking the shifter and the shift.
    Granted all of this was just in the parking lot, not moving very quickly, so we took it with a grain of salt.
    The shifting of X01 is very good already and is the best i've ridden from SRAM. I've loved this drivetrain the entire time i've had it, as it's very precise and it just plain works.

Well... Just to give a sneak peek at how the ride went... I may have a sram drivetrain for sale soon... we will just say that.

TRAIL TIME:

Now it was time to head out, so we started out with me on the X01 and him on XT. It was a great start to the ride just getting a feel for it. I could hear how smooth his shifting was from behind him, which was pretty cool.
    About a mile into the trail we decided to really start putting it to the test on our 6 mile loop. The next 5 miles of our test loop consisted of a plan of trying to get it to mess up in some way. He was shifting under full sprint load, late shifting in steep punchy climbs, every bad shifting technique we could think of to try and get the drivetrain to mess up or atleast have a bad shift...
    NOTHING! We tried and tried to get the drivetrain to even lag in the shifts and it was FLAWLESS the entire time.
    So the first loop was pretty cool because we took the hardest route we could think of and no chain slap, not chain drops, no successful attempts at a bad shift in any way.

So the second trip through the loop we just tried out the shifting for how it would be ridden on a regular basis. Just regular shifting at a good pace.
    We cut out into the start of the loop and took it pretty fast and the shifting performance was absolutely PHENOMENAL. Buttery smooth and the features of this drivetrain really made themselves know throughout this loop. Like the double upshift capability and the ability to down shift 4 gears at a time (with X01 I can dump 5 at a time, but my thumbs are too short for that anyways haha).
    During this loop we were really paying attention to the differences between drivetrains and they were definitely there.
    With the x01, the shifting is precise but has a slightly clunky feel to it and I have thought this from the day I got it (I was on a shimano drivetrain on my previous bike). That's just how I viewed it, as it definitely hits the gear, but seems to not go to that gear in a very smooth manner.
    With the XT the shifts were almost un-noticeable. It was pretty awesome. The only difference you could tell was in cadence and on the topic of cadence, i'll elaborate more on in a second.
    But the shifting quality is suberb, shifts are SUPER fast, incredibly smooth and with laser precision.
    The time with this shifting performance difference was most known, was in our sprinting sections. We had one section where we cut out on to a double track fire road and put the hammer down and were shifting under load. The X01 was just as i described it earlier, clunky and precise and it just plain works!
    The XT was also exactly how i describe it... PERFECT. The shifts were still just as quick under full sprinting load. It's just great...

So through the last couple of miles of the trail after this sprint we decided to put the hammer down and see how it would shine... and as it had the entire ride, it shifted perfectly.
    The Cassette i could see being a factor in all of this performance, the shifting points seem limitless and the attention to cadence that shimano gave is VERY apparent.
    When shifting, it's incredibly smooth and the cadence change is so different from the SRAM it's unreal. I've always felt that with the x01 cassette range, the gear changes were a little off, and well... shimano fixes all of that.
    We had the 11-40 cassette and WOW. Shifting was buttery smooth and the cadence change is so much better you hardly notice the change, except you are moving at a different pace.

I CANNOT recommend this drivetrain enough. It's incredibly affordable when compared to X01 and it's performance is outstanding, ESPECIALLY for the price (Which is about as much as an X01 cassette... FOR SHIFTER, RD AND CASSETTE)

Go order one and get out and enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How big is the smaller shift paddle compared to the 10 speed xt shifter (the multi directional paddle)? Coming from SRAM, I am finding the 10 speed paddle to be too snug towards the bar with not enough surface area. When I am standing up out of the saddle I have a hard time making shifts with my thumb and have to resort to the index finger. Shifting with the index finger is a lot slower for me.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone know when m8000 be release?

febe
    Yeti SB5c fully customized

mtbr member
    It's all out how !

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    It's all out how !

Kiwi Pete from the road
    YEP! It's all out now and should be available for order and maybe in stock at your LBS!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    How big is the smaller shift paddle compared to the 10 speed xt shifter (the multi directional paddle)? Coming from SRAM, I am finding the 10 speed paddle to be too snug towards the bar with not enough surface area. When I am standing up out of the saddle I have a hard time making shifts with my thumb and have to resort to the index finger. Shifting with the index finger is a lot slower for me.
    As for the shifter, I have X01 now and haven't had shimano for about a year. From what I remember, the shift lever is still pretty close to the bar. I was always using it as a trigger shifter, rather than a thumb, so I didn't try that. My buddy that was doing the test with me, did use the thumb shifting side though and didn't seem like he had any issues with it. The thumb side of the shifter actually has a double up-shift feature that the trigger side doesn't have, which is pretty cool.

Sorry I don't have a direct comparison for you. If I come across one, I will for sure take a look and let you know!

mtbr member
    Your review is making me want to sell my X1 and get the XT. I was planning on getting the XT cassette and run the X1 RD and X01 shifter. I just may sell them and go all in with the XT.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Your review is making me want to sell my X1 and get the XT. I was planning on getting the XT cassette and run the X1 RD and X01 shifter. I just may sell them and go all in with the XT.
    The XT is pretty dang good. I am currently sticking with my x01 for the next month, because i'm familiar with it and i'm headed to leadville. (So I'm taking the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach in my race prep).
    As soon as leadville is over, though, I will be swapping out and probably selling my full x01 drivetrain to partially fund another bike purchase... so if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    DISCLAIMER:

If you are going for lightweight... XT is heavier than x1 and x01, by a fairly decent amount. But if you want performance over weight, it's a good trade out!
    I've never had a gripe about shimano and I doubt the bundle of paper clips worth of weight i'm gaining on my bike is going to be a performance disadvantage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What's the weight difference between the groups? Considering 1x?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    real world weight, i am not totally sure. I didn't weigh mine before putting them on. Mostly the weight different is in the cassette though from the numbers i've seen. XT cassette is around 400g and X01 is around 265g i think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone have a m8000 1x crank arms weight?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Bike radar shows the double as 717g. The XTR difference between single and double is about 100g. So 617g?
    That's clearly a guess, but i am not sure if that includes BB or not. I would say it probably doesnt, since that would make it as light as XTR if it included a BB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    Bike radar shows the double as 717g. The XTR difference between single and double is about 100g. So 617g?
    That's clearly a guess, but i am not sure if that includes BB or not. I would say it probably doesnt, since that would make it as light as XTR if it included a BB.
    Nice. i appreciate the ballpark estimate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Have the 11-42T cassettes started shipping? It seems like they were lagging.

For that matter has anybody seen the sram XG-1150 and XG-1175 shipping? I can't find as much info on the XG-1175's as far as cost.

It is interesting that the X8000 cassette is nearly 100g heavier than X1, and about 15-20g heavier than Srams new XG-1150.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Have the 11-42T cassettes started shipping? It seems like they were lagging.

For that matter has anybody seen the sram XG-1150 and XG-1175 shipping? I can't find as much info on the XG-1175's as far as cost.

It is interesting that the X8000 cassette is nearly 100g heavier than X1, and about 15-20g heavier than Srams new XG-1150.
    I havent weighed them yet, but I will try to soon to get everyone a real world weight. I find it kind of hard to believe too... but we will see.

And I haven't heard on those cassettes. I do know the 11-42 was lagging behind the 11-40 a tad, not sure exactly how much though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Anyone have a m8000 1x crank arms weight?
    XT m8000 with chainring 1X 30T is 680gr

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by apuking View Post
    XT m8000 with chainring 1X 30T is 680gr
    Thanks apuking! Did you get a set? or did you find that weight?
    If you got a set i'm sure everyone would love to see pics!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    As for the shifter, I have X01 now and haven't had shimano for about a year. From what I remember, the shift lever is still pretty close to the bar. I was always using it as a trigger shifter, rather than a thumb, so I didn't try that. My buddy that was doing the test with me, did use the thumb shifting side though and didn't seem like he had any issues with it. The thumb side of the shifter actually has a double up-shift feature that the trigger side doesn't have, which is pretty cool.

Sorry I don't have a direct comparison for you. If I come across one, I will for sure take a look and let you know!
    Thanks for the reply! You mentioned the 11 speed shifter doesn't double shift with the trigger... I just want to point out that the 10 speed shifters have the double action shift on both the thumb and trigger side but it takes a little more pressure to activate it on the trigger side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Thanks for the reply! You mentioned the 11 speed shifter doesn't double shift with the trigger... I just want to point out that the 10 speed shifters have the double action shift on both the thumb and trigger side but it takes a little more pressure to activate it on the trigger side.
    If that's the case then it might do it on the trigger side. I didn't discover that feature, my friend i was riding with did. So it may double shift from the trigger as well. I will have to try that out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Any ideas where the cheapest shop to buy the group set from? Looking for 1x with the big cog.

mtbr member
    The new XT cranks are cheap so just go to your LBS and by a set.
    If you go buy on line you get bad service and your LBS will not be there to help you out next time.
    😯

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Sorry NZPete. Looking for the whole group set. Love my LBS but if it's 25% less online, I'd go that route in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Have you asked your LBS to try and march it?
    LBS's are dieing around the world because of online sales!
    Online can't fix your problems and you only get online service
    😢

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm not much help in finding the best deal either. I ONLY buy from my LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I have bought a shiiiit load of bikes from my LBS. I get the economics of it. LBS don't die because of online sales. When I was a teenager, I worked at a bike shop. Performance and the other catalogue were the same impact on bike shops back then. Bike shops that survive figure out how to survive.

Bike shops that don't.... Well. It's a marketplace.

I totally understand and respect the sentiment though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    And yes. I agree internet is probably a bigger beast than catalogue was back in the day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek200 View Post
    I have bought a shiiiit load of bikes from my LBS. I get the economics of it. LBS don't die because of online sales. When I was a teenager, I worked at a bike shop. Performance and the other catalogue were the same impact on bike shops back then. Bike shops that survive figure out how to survive.

Bike shops that don't.... Well. It's a marketplace.

I totally understand and respect the sentiment though.
    In the last 5 years over 2000 cycle shops have closed there doors
    This is in the USA only!
    :-(

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    In the last 5 years over 2000 cycle shops have closed there doors
    This is in the USA only!
    :-(

Kiwi Pete from the road
    But how many have opened?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    2000 out of how many? How many local bike shops should the market support?

Small businesses fail at a very high rate. Many (don't recall statistics) fail because of poor business skills. I doubt that is any different with bike shops.

I have always wanted to run a bike shop. I have lived in my small town for 14 years. When I moved here there were maybe 5 bike shops Then most closed and now there are 6 bike shops.

My community has a thriving bike scene and growing trail network. None of these shops in town have what I consider entrepreneurial spirits. There is one - that I like because they know my name and my bikes etc.

But I know several ways they could easily grow their business.

I think it's silly for the customer to be responsible for the success of a business.

But I am a die hard unapologetic mostly free market capitalist pig.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yeah good question from poster above. What is the net change in LBS count?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Go ahead and try CRC. The economics of it sucks, but that's not your fault.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Derek, I agree with you on it being about knowing how to run a successful business. Our bike shop is one of the only ones in our town of 250,000 people that is really thriving and it's fairly obvious why. We don't have a great bike scene to support the number of shops we have and one long time shop here in town actually closed it's doors in the last few months.
    In me saying I only buy from my local shop, i support them, yes. But I also work there part time, so I get way better prices on anything i'm going to buy than what some of the online stores are going to give me.

mtbr member
    Derek, I agree with you on it being about knowing how to run a successful business. Our bike shop is one of the only ones in our town of 250,000 people that is really thriving and it's fairly obvious why. We don't have a great bike scene to support the number of shops we have and one long time shop here in town actually closed it's doors in the last few months.
    In me saying I only buy from my local shop, i support them, yes. But I also work there part time, so I get way better prices on anything i'm going to buy than what some of the online stores are going to give me.
    To have only a few LBS's in a town of 250,000?
    I work in a LBS in a town of 20,000! and we have 6 bike shops with a 7th opening next year!
    We do have 200km's of Mountain Bike trail's
    ?

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    To have only a few LBS's in a town of 250,000?
    I work in a LBS in a town of 20,000! and we have 6 bike shops with a 7th opening next year!
    We do have 200km's of Mountain Bike trail's
    ?

Kiwi Pete from the road
    Yeah we don't have a very big trail network at all. I think we may have 20 miles of trail total. I live in west Texas, where it's very flat and the only decent riding you get is in the canyons, which are a good drive to get to.

The majority of business in town is selling bikes to the students of Texas Tech University. And we have 5 bikes shops in town, it's very sad that with only 5, it is still a struggle for some to stay open with that many citizens.

If only some mountains would pop up outside of town... that would be great haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone know if the shifter indicator is removable and if it comes with a cover in its place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Does anyone know if the shifter indicator is removable and if it comes with a cover in its place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine did not come with a cover, but it is removable. May check with your LBS on that. I haven't bothered checking into it yet. Sorry i'm not more help than that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Got my 11-42 casette today. weight is 434g

I ride a Swarf
    Mine did not come with a cover, but it is removable. May check with your LBS on that. I haven't bothered checking into it yet. Sorry i'm not more help than that.
    has anyone found a source/part number for the cover (bar clamp ver)?

Mine just arrive and I thought I read there were no indicators, but there they are!!! grrrr....bloody hat them and it means I can;t have the shifters outboard of my brakes.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Does anybody has received XT M8000 parts from Chainreaction ?

mtbr member
    No
    Got my crankset from my LBS
    I get back up.

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Went to my LBS today after receiving an alert from Art's Cyclery. It looks like if you buy the right shifter only, then it is not I-spec but if you buy the combination, then you get the I-spec shifters. Can any owners of the XT parts confirm? I am currently running a 1x 10 speed setup with I-spec shifters and want to keep it that way.
    2017 XL Santa Cruz Tallboy

mtbr member
    Hi
    It's a new I spec 2 and it's a different mount

Kiwi Pete from the road

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudo View Post
    Does anybody has received XT M8000 parts from Chainreaction ?
    yep mine were, ordered last weekend got them this week, I am in the UK though so quick del

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    has anyone found a source/part number for the cover (bar clamp ver)?

Mine just arrive and I thought I read there were no indicators, but there they are!!! grrrr....bloody hat them and it means I can;t have the shifters outboard of my brakes.
    Part number 9 on the exploded diagram.

https://www.paul-lange.de/support/sh...M8000-3860.pdf

and

http://si.shimano.com/

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    It looks like if you buy the right shifter only, then it is not I-spec but if you buy the combination, then you get the I-spec shifters. Can any owners of the XT parts confirm? I am currently running a 1x 10 speed setup with I-spec shifters and want to keep it that way.
    There is 3 versions of the shifter, if you order the version that you want then that's what you should get.

It's a new I spec 2 and it's a different mount
    The new XT 8000 shifters supposedly come in 3 versions.

Bar Mount: SL-M8000
    I-Spec II: SL-M8000-I
    I-Spec B: SL-M8000-B-I

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spe.../Shift%20Lever

If you look hard enough you will find some shops selling the I-Spec B shifters.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Cheers fella! will start hunting

I ride a Swarf
    Got my 1x11 xt fitted. Having problems though, when I backpedal in first the chain drops to third. And all you people who say don't back pedal dont say it. Back pedalling and manoeuvreing the bike backwards IS necessary. Admitafle I don't use first often and need to backpedal, will see after a few rides if I end up getting angry.

I have read that sram chains fixed it for some people so have one on order. Can't adjust the chain like on this bike.

Seems common place on xx1 too so a nature of the beast I guess, the chain line for first is more extreme.

Not expecting an answer, but if you have fixed it say, more if a warning to consider for others.

sent from my phone so apologies for any typos

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Got my 1x11 xt fitted. Having problems though, when I backpedal in first the chain drops to third. And all you people who say don't back pedal dont say it. Back pedalling and manoeuvreing the bike backwards IS necessary. Admitafle I don't use first often and need to backpedal, will see after a few rides if I end up getting angry.

I have read that sram chains fixed it for some people so have one on order. Can't adjust the chain like on this bike.

Seems common place on xx1 too so a nature of the beast I guess, the chain line for first is more extreme.

Not expecting an answer, but if you have fixed it say, more if a warning to consider for others.

That's just chainline. The big cog is displaced over even more than on 10-spd. Some chainrings like Wolf Tooth have a 2.5mm spacer built into them to help correct the chainline and stop that. You can stick a spacer between the ring and the crank to help sort it out. Oh yeah, and don't backpedal.

I ride a Swarf
    First proper ride today on it. No issues other than some chain guide rubbing in first to sort out. No back pedal issues in practice. At some point it will catch me out if in first and adjusting the cranks to set off...but for typical riding seems a non issue. Will be interesting to see if the dean chain fixes it I have seen many claim.

Cannonball!
    Mid-cage derailleur with 1x11 11-42?

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    Who is that question intended for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    Yes
    Long for 3x setup
    Happy Riding

Kiwi Pete from the road

Cannonball!
    Yes
    Long for 3x setup
    Happy Riding

Kiwi Pete from the road
    Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Went to install my Shimano M8000 bar mount shifter last night and guess what... yeah you already know... the freakin optical display doesn't play nice with my Sram Guide brakes. The bulging optical display when sidled up to the brake puts the shifter in an unusable position! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
    I removed the display and using my hacksaw cut it at the 90* bend. Refastened the remaining display as a "cover" and sealed the resulting gap with 2 pieces of 3M Waterproof Electrical Mastic tape.
    This will work until the big S decides to make the cover plate available...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    That's just chainline. The big cog is displaced over even more than on 10-spd. Some chainrings like Wolf Tooth have a 2.5mm spacer built into them to help correct the chainline and stop that. You can stick a spacer between the ring and the crank to help sort it out. Oh yeah, and don't backpedal.

Have this problem on my 1X 10 speed setup as well. I have a SRAM 2X crankset with a WT 30T chainring on front and the chain line is off enough for it to pull the chin off the big cog while backpedalling. Hopefully I will change to a SRAM direct mount or Raceface cinch direct mount ring and pull the chain line in enough to prevent it. Also my bike has fairly short chain stays which likely doesn't help.

What crankset/ring are you using?

I ride a Swarf
    Have this problem on my 1X 10 speed setup as well. I have a SRAM 2X crankset with a WT 30T chainring on front and the chain line is off enough for it to pull the chin off the big cog while backpedalling. Hopefully I will change to a SRAM direct mount or Raceface cinch direct mount ring and pull the chain line in enough to prevent it. Also my bike has fairly short chain stays which likely doesn't help.

What crankset/ring are you using?
    Hi,

in practice it hasn't really been an issue for me...just annoying knowing it does it.

crank wise I am using a middleburn RS8X with narrow/wide uno chainring, but my bike is more complex in that there is an idler gear between the crank and cassette, which effectively shortens the chain run, exacerbating the chain line angle in 1st.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have this problem, also. Did you find a solution for it?

I'm running a R/F N/W 32t up front on the previous gen XTR cranks. It only does it in the top 2 or 3 rings in the back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    I have this problem, also. Did you find a solution for it?

I'm running a R/F N/W 32t up front on the previous gen XTR cranks. It only does it in the top 2 or 3 rings in the back.
    I had this issue running the 11-42 cassette on my 1x11 setup. Ended up being that I needed to back the b screw out a bit and it works perfectly now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you are having issues with the chain changing gears when you backpedal it is almost ALWAYS a tuning issue.
    I have never seen that issue happen when it couldn't be tuned out...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Negative. My process has not been able to get that issue tuned out, whether it was me or the shop working on it. If the B-tension is set so the derailleur cog is neat the cassette cog shifting sucks and it still will come off. It's really a chain line problem. and you can't do much about that. Shorter chain stays mean larger angle the chain makes. Main way to fix it is to change the position of the chainring. Not ideal but it is what it is.

I would guess 1x10 conversions are more susceptible than 1x11 setups, especially with a designated 1x crank.

If you are having issues with the chain changing gears when you backpedal it is almost ALWAYS a tuning issue.
    I have never seen that issue happen when it couldn't be tuned out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Negative. My process has not been able to get that issue tuned out, whether it was me or the shop working on it. If the B-tension is set so the derailleur cog is neat the cassette cog shifting sucks and it still will come off. It's really a chain line problem. and you can't do much about that. Shorter chain stays mean larger angle the chain makes. Main way to fix it is to change the position of the chainring. Not ideal but it is what it is.

I would guess 1x10 conversions are more susceptible than 1x11 setups, especially with a designated 1x crank.
    With 1x10 you might run into more issues but you should still be able to get it to correct itself. I am running an M8000 1x11 setup with a 2x crank that has a N/W ring in the front. During the first two rides I was having the exact issue stated above (when backpedaling the chain would jump two cogs lower). I toyed with the b tension and was able to 100% correct the problem with very minimal work. I haven't had an issue since so when you are talking about a M8000 1x setup I think you should be able to correct it with some tuning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It falls off from the top of the cog. How does b-tension affect that? The upper pulley is all the way on the other side of the cog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It falls off from the top of the cog. How does b-tension affect that? The upper pulley is all the way on the other side of the cog.
    It allows the RD to properly extend and clear the largest cog.

mtbr member
    Look all 1x11 and 1x10 have the chain come off back pedaling.
    But once you pedal front again all is ok.
    B-tension makes no difference!
    Just ride your bike and have fun

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    LBS was having a 20% off sale, plus I was able to talk them into price matching backcountry, so it was $285+tax for the RD, shifter, 11-42 cassette, and HG700 chain. Not as good as the german and UK places but not bad.

Everything seems to run great, so much smoother than the X7 shifter/X01 RD 1-10 I had. Even though the range is the same I feel like all of my gears are more useful now. No crazy jump in gears from 13 to 19t or whatever it was. Still can't backpedal on the 42T, but I didn't expect that to magically get fixed.

Raceface Turbine Cinch with a Absolute Black Oval 28T on the way for the steeps. Will report on back pedaling when all that gets installed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Look all 1x11 and 1x10 have the chain come off back pedaling.
    But once you pedal front again all is ok.
    B-tension makes no difference!
    Just ride your bike and have fun

Kiwi Pete from the road
    i had the chain slip down to 5th when i backpeddled, relised i put the spacers in for a 68mm BB on a 73mm BB. only jumps 1 gear if i back peddle with a dry chain, no probles if properly lubed. 11 speed is definatly not as happy to deal with a dry chain as 9 or 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I hope you guys can get this issue resolved.. It would drive me nuts.

Thankfully my x01 doesn't have this issue.

mtbr member
    I hope you guys can get this issue resolved.. It would drive me nuts.

Thankfully my x01 doesn't have this issue.
    Hi all Sram XX1, XO1 1X11, and X1 do the same thing.

It's life.

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i just switched my XT 10spd w/One-Up 42t to 11spd XT... i didn't have the backpedaling issue with the 10spd but i do now with the 11spd. i don't really agree with kiwi pete that this is normal and acceptable and i will be trying to find a fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    i just switched my XT 10spd w/One-Up 42t to 11spd XT... i didn't have the backpedaling issue with the 10spd but i do now with the 11spd. i don't really agree with kiwi pete that this is normal and acceptable and i will be trying to find a fix.
    Hi
    You can space your chainring in 5 mm plus.
    This helps stop it..

Kiwi Pete from the road

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It might be worth checking out this thread on the backpedaling issue. It's concerning the XX1 but some of the remedies may work for the Shimano system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi guys...

Got a question here... can i just swap my old xt crank with the new m8000 crank? Will it fit the old 10speed chain and cassette?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I found this
    First Impressions: OneUp Shark jumps Shimano 11 speed cassettes to 10-50 - Bikerumor

Initially, when running the RaceFace ring if you were to back pedal in the 50t the chain would derail down the cassette. Switching to the 49mm OneUp ring solved the backpedal issue on the 50t cog, but it doesnít solve the issue on the 42t cog Ė which seems to be a Shimano problem more than a OneUp problem. With the stock Shimano 1x drivetrain, if the chain is in the 42t cog and you back pedal it will also derail. This doesnít seem to change whether that 42t cog is in the outermost position or shifted in by one spot. So while you can get it so that you can back pedal in the 50t and the 37t cogs without the chain coming off, you can not back pedal in the 42t cog no matter where it is on the cassette. Itís actually pretty impressive that you can back pedal on the 50t considering how big it is, and the extreme angle of the chathe chain is in the 42t cog and you back pedal it will also derail. This doesnít seem to change whether that 42t cog is in the outermost position or shifted in by one spot. So while you can get it so that you can back pedal in the 50t and the 37t cogs without the chain coming off, you can not back pedal in the 42t cog no matter where it is on the cassette. Itís actually pretty impressive that you can back pedal on the 50t considering how big it is, and the extreme angle of the cha