mtbr member
    Apr 2010

shimano 1x chain retention

hey, I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on shimano's "Dynamic Chain Engagement" (DCE) system.
    Thats what shimano is doing rather than narrow wide. Could i expect the same performance as my race face narrow wide? or better or worse?

mtbr member
    Hoping to hear from this too - but usually Shimano has their stuff dialed (except for dual control and Biopace )

mtbr member
    Installed an FC-M9000 crank with 30T ring. Yesterday I did an 84km ride, chain never dropped or missed a beat. The ring works beautifully : silent, and the chain sits more firm on the chainring compared to a narrow / wide ring. As a test, I wrapped an excess 10 link piece of chain around the chainring. It is quite difficult to lift it off, due to the hooked tooth profile, as can be seen in the images below.

The cranks are also very stiff : they feel stiffer than my previous Race Face Next SL cranks. Perhaps it has to do with spider vs spiderless which could lead to some unwanted flex. If you look at the SRAM XX1 spiderless chainrings, they are a lot beefier and profiled as the stock Race Face rings for improved stiffness.

As I like to measure things : the 158mm Q-Factor and 50.4mm chainline are spot-on. The Race Face Next SL's Q-factor measures more like 173mm vs 168mm listed, same for the chainline which tends towards 53mm vs 51mm listed.

One happy Shimano customer

Shimano XTR?s answer to narrow-wide chainrings - MBR

Name:  ShimanoChainringTeeth.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  67.3 KB

shimano 1x chain retention-xtr2-resize.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great news! Thank you so much for the report.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    madskatingcow, have been on carbon cranks for the last five years but am considering the new str 36/26 for my 2x bike. What difference are you noticing riding alloy arms?

mtbr member
    I've been riding the Race Face Next SL cranks for about 1 year - I can clearly feel a difference in stiffness, but that might be due to some flex of the spiderless chainring design of the Next SL crank vs the chainring with spider of the XTR crank.
    Going from a PF30 Chris King BB with a 30mm axle crank, I was a little worried about going back to a 24mm axle crank. I am using the Praxisworks conversion kit, which is incredibly smooth. Without chain, the cranks (with pedals) easily spin about 8 revolutions while the Chris King (steel bearings) gave me 1 to 1.5 revolutions at most. I still have the wide downtubes of the PF30 frame design and the bearings are placed at the end of the axle, stiffness guaranteed.
    When installing the Praxisworks bottom bracket, it is very very (!) important to follow the instruction manual. The rubber 'non drive frame tolerance o-ring' may barely touch the frame when installing. If pushed in too far, the drive side bearing will not touch the frame when tightened, due to the machined stop inside. You can always knock back the Delrin sleeve a little with a piece of wood, but better not to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Excellent information. Do you feel that the carbon arms the next sl "dampened vibrations" and the alloy arms of the XTR will produce "more feedback" or has that not been noticeable?

mtbr member
    That's not really noticeable - it's just great !

I had to swap the XTR HG-900 chain with an SRAM PC-XX1, because when riding the 32 and 36T cogs there always seemed to be a light rattle. Although both chains share approximately the same dimensions, the major difference seems to be sideplay. The XX1 chain can move a lot more over a given length compared to the XTR chain, causing less stress on the teeth which seemed to cause a grinding noise whenever cross chaining into the bigger cogs.
    Even when backpedaling, the chain now stays perfectly on, no chain jumping or anything. The XX1 chain works perfect with the Shimano 30T chainring up front as well.

shimano 1x chain retention-s-works-stumpjumper_ht_12_zpsmhxjsqnn.jpg

shimano 1x chain retention-s-works-stumpjumper_ht_11_zpsh9xrvhry.jpg

shimano 1x chain retention-s-works-stumpjumper_ht_13_zpsn8nwubjw.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, that looks excellent! The crank I would be changing out is an s-works and that would go to 2x11 with a crank change. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Wow, that looks excellent! The crank I would be changing out is an s-works and that would go to 2x11 with a crank change. Thanks for the info.
    The XTR can have double rings as well

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Which XTR crank is that 9000 or 9020 and do you know which one comes on the stock S-Works Epic/Stumpjumper HT models?

mtbr member
    I'm riding the FC-M9000, which comes stock on the S-Works Epic and Stumpjumper. I verified first on both bikes at my dealer's showroom.