mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Replace cassette or not?

I have a Giant Yukon 2005 model, with stock drive train. In the cassette, and I am pretty sure _part_ of the cassette, is a small conical flange of thin metal that sits outboard of the bearing, but seems not to be part of the bearing or its adjustment. I have damaged it and I figured oh well buy another cassette, idiot. But looking at pics of cassettes that I am going to buy, none of them seem to have this flange.

Is that flange/cone needed? I am assuming it's a dust shield, but I am not sure.

My rear wheel seized up a few times, I am pretty sure in the rear axle. The cassette free-wheels on the wheel and the brake is free, but if I tighten the stake, the wheel seizes up. When I loosened the stake I noticed that the axle was actually rotating in the frame.

So it looked very much like the cones had been over tightened, I am not sure how as I had not touched them for a long time. I took the stake out and checked the bearings. The brake side was OK, but I was not sure about the cassette side. In the cassette was a small cone of thin metal. Trying to get a better look at the bearing balls I tried to remove that cone/flange and damaged it . I thought it was a separate, but stuck piece of metal, but now I am sure it's part of the cassette.

Any help appreciated.

Nick

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    uummmmmmmm....nothing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok. I'm not following exactly what part you are talking about, but am pretty sure it isn't part of the cassette. Also, I don't understand what you mean by "stake". The axle rotating in the frame ain't good.

We need a better understanding of what's going on before we can help. Go to the mfgrs web page for your bike and find out what model rear hub it has. It is probably printed on the hub too. Using that info, you can find an exploded diagram. Then we will have a common language to discuss the various parts. And when you see the diagram, you might be able to figure it out yourself.

Park tools web site will have general information on how to adjust bearings.

And you can never go wrong with posting pictures.

local trails rider
    Cannot figure out the problem based on your explanation, except that there is a problem and the cassette is probably not the cause. Try looking for manuals for the hub.

Can you get photos?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    OK. I will check this out......sigh...when I get the _chance!
    Last edited by REALOldNick; 07-26-2015 at 04:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    OK. I have found the hub number. Shimano FH-M475 VIAM. However that does not help because AFAICS the flange I am worried about looks like part of the cassette, not part of the hub. The hub pictures do not include any cassette.

I can't see any ID on the cassette. Specs for the bike simply call it "8 cog 11-32 teeth"

Stake = skewer.

Nick

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, here is the exploded diagram of your hub:
    http://www.shimano.com/media/techdoc...9830728374.pdf

Cassettes are pretty much all the same. Here is a diagram of a cassette:
    http://www.shimano.com/media/techdoc...9830704675.pdf

Do you see the mystery part on either of these?

A possibility to consider is that the part in question was mistakenly added by someone, and not an original part at all. What would happen if you removed it?

A picture would be great.... If they won't let you post pictures yet, PM me and I'll give you my email addr. Send it to me & I'll post it.

The axle rotating in the frame with the skewer loose is probably not abnormal. Never tried it :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks. Ok this part is from a shop bought new bike. So I doubt a mstake, bcause the LBS I bought from simply would not put in that much effort.

I have found a cassette removal tool I bought in a fit of fervour and Im going to use it, to see what happens

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I give up. No I don't see the mystery part in that exploded diagram. I am trying to fond what actual cassette I have adn I can't and there are so many odels I figure I will just give up and buy a new cassette. It's cheaper than wasting more time.

So. Thanks guys, and sorry for not following this up properly. But in the end it's more trouble than the price of a cassette is worth.