20 LD Productions
    Jun 2012

Possible? Bl-988 brake lever with m9000 I - spec ii shifter

Hey all...did a quick search and didn't see anything definitive apologies if this has been covered.

Considering upgrading to m9000 11 speed but still keeping my 2013 bl- m988 trail brakes. Any simple or easy ways to make this work? I assume someone has done this.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 I want to run my saint m820 brakes with a xt m8000 ispec shifter

USED2COULD
    I can confirm categorically that I-SPEC II (i.e. on my M9000 shifter) is not backwards compatible with I-SPEC B (or A) brake levers.

If you search you will see a picture where someone has machined the aluminum to make this work. An important distinction that was not made is that no matter how much you machine the I-SPEC II mount it will not fit without also machining the brake lever itself.

I did not want to machine my brakes as I will trade them out for some M9000 brakes at some point. I did machine the I-SPEC II mount in every conceivable way. There just isn't room under the brake clamp.

I ended up mounting the M9000 shifter to my bar with an AVID matchmaker (and the I-SPEC II bolt with an additional spacer so the bolt didn't contact the bar), that fit excellently.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    I can confirm categorically that I-SPEC II (i.e. on my M9000 shifter) is not backwards compatible with I-SPEC B (or A) brake levers.

If you search you will see a picture where someone has machined the aluminum to make this work. An important distinction that was not made is that no matter how much you machine the I-SPEC II mount it will not fit without also machining the brake lever itself.

I did not want to machine my brakes as I will trade them out for some M9000 brakes at some point. I did machine the I-SPEC II mount in every conceivable way. There just isn't room under the brake clamp.

I ended up mounting the M9000 shifter to my bar with an AVID matchmaker (and the I-SPEC II bolt with an additional spacer so the bolt didn't contact the bar), that fit excellently.
    Can you take a pic of your matchmaker and M9000 setup? Can this be done without machining the ispec II shifter? Did you use a matchmaker or matchmaker x adapter?

I'd like to buy the M8000 ispec II shifter and be able to match it to M8000 brakes down the road. Right now I have brand new 785 brakes and can't justify new brakes just for the ispec II feature. Will your mod work for this?

Thanks!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    XTR shifters only has clamp and I-Spec II models.

XT at the moment has clamp and I-Spec II available. I-Spec-B is to be released by the end of the year.

USED2COULD
    Sh*t, sorry I didn't see this, haven't been on the forum as much. I'll snap a pic sure.
    <Insert Quiver>