mtbr member
    Jul 2008

PD-M9000 vs. PD-M780

can you guys pls. advise on the key differences between shimano PD-M780 and PD-M9000? there is obviously weight difference, but taking that aside- are there differences in design, features, shoe-to-pedal contact, stability etc?
    thanks

mtbr member
    They look about the same to me. In fact they look about the same as my first set of Shimano 959 pedals that I got somewhere around 2002. I doubt that you would be able to tell the difference while riding. They are just labelled to match the current/new XTR. Personally I wouldn't buy XTR but I don't care about grams.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The PD-9000's (which are the same as the PD-980's) have a smaller stack height than the PD-780's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86 View Post
    The PD-9000's (which are the same as the PD-980's) have a smaller stack height than the PD-780's.
    I would like to see where you get that data.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The trail pedal is definitely thinner, I'd guess it's the same for the XC pedal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I would like to see where you get that data.

what about other differences? I'm actually most interested in stability - i used to get a huge amount of wobble on my crank brothers and fit technician recommended Shimano for their greater stability. 780's still have quite a bit of wobble. would the 9000 be significantly better?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slav View Post
    what about other differences? I'm actually most interested in stability - i used to get a huge amount of wobble on my crank brothers and fit technician recommended Shimano for their greater stability. 780's still have quite a bit of wobble. would the 9000 be significantly better?
    thanks
    Define "wobble." Do you mean float? the feature that allows your heel (or entire foot shoe for that matter) to rotate back and forth a few degrees? Or are you referencing a lack of stability due to the size of the pedal platform?

Float is normal with most pedal setups out-of-the-box. Its there so your foot isn't locked in and properly align itself with you knee. Shimano sells cleats with no float but unless you have your cleat position DIALED you may end up causing yourself pain somewhere along your leg in the future.

Pedal platform height is currently the go-to marketing tool companies are using to sell product. There is no doubt that the closer you foot is to the center line of the axle the more stability you will gain but pedal companies are now spitting hairs in terms of gains. We're talking MARGINAL gains in performance. It boils down to being part physics, part placebo. Most riders are not discerning enough to feel the difference, but we all read and can make judgements based on trail side conversation, form posts and marketing consumption.

I would get the Shimano XT Trail pedals. They're solid, pretty much maintenance free and work all the time. I currently own one pair of XTR and two pairs of XT Trail pedals. The only reason I went with the XTR is because they came out way ahead of the XT and wanted the extra platform. XTR is gucci and thats ok, but for the price of one XTR set you can buy two XT's.

You mentioned you once rode Crank Bros? That brought up a thought... those pedals were always in a constant state of falling apart. Perhaps that wobbly feeling you were getting was from the bearing imploding.

Full disclosure: 14 years in the bike industry. No longer work in it but am still a diehard Shimano fan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Xtr's put you foot 4mm further back than XT's. The stack height is lower. There's a 35 grams difference in weight for the pair. 1 more year warranty on xtr vs xt (3 years vs 2 years)

Those are the most notable differences. As far as wobble, the only "wobble" they have is a tiny bit of float. Running them tighter reduces this effect but compared to most other pedals these will have the least float. The Ritchey and Xpedo units also have very little float.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If by wobble you mean rotation in a vertical plane (as opposed to float = rotation in horizontal plane) then you won't find any difference between XT 780 and XTR 980 or 9000.

If you're getting wobble on 780's, I would inspect your shoes and/or cleats. With new shoes, cleats and pedals, you shouldn't have any meaningful wobble on 780's. Worn soles, worn cleats, or cleats mounted severely inboard (= shoe severely outboard = excessive leverage) can contribute to wobble/lateral instability.

I suggest trying any of the "trail" models (M985, M785, M530) if you want a more stable platform. These versions have far larger surface area in contact with the shoe sole, and if you have a reasonably well matched shoe, you should get a VERY secure interface.

M985/M785/M530 can be had for $95/$64/$27 via UK websites. I've got 1000+ hours on one pair of M985 and they still function very well.