Thread: New Saint?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

New Saint?

I need a new set of Saint brakes for my bike. The group has seen the last major update in the 2013 model year, so I was wondering when the next big change will be.

I'm deciding between buying now or in spring. Saint '14 are discounted right now, but I will mostly ride another bike over the winter, so I might as well wait. With XTR 2015 being such a major overhaul, I expect little change for Saint in the 2015 model year, but I'm not sure how Shimano time their release. As these will be staying on the bike for 5+ years, I'd rather not buy the old model when the new is only a quarter away.

What changes do you expect for Saint in 2015?

When can I expect Saint '15 to be available?

When do you expect the next major upgrade of the Saint group set (brakes, in particular)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you keep waiting for the next thing, you'll never get anything. Bikes are constantly changing, often for no purpose other than changing.

I doubt anything earth-shattering is only a quarter away in any event. Look at the XTR brake revision: the clamps are smaller, and...? a bunch of vague improvements that don't really sound like they mean anything, and yet another ispec (how many times are they going to make all the old ispec stuff incompatible before people just accept that having another clamp isn't the end of the world?).

As for the drivetrain... well 11-speed, the new front derailleur and di2 were what XTR got. I don't see any of those going over too well in dh bikes, so then what? More cosmetic changes. The 40t cog has no place on a dh bike, most dh riders seem to want fewer speeds rather than more.

IMO the only real reason to wait would be clearance prices on m820 parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    If you keep waiting for the next thing, you'll never get anything. Bikes are constantly changing, often for no purpose other than changing.
    True, but trivia.

Before making a purchase, I tend to at least try to take a glimpse.

I've seen more than a few posts where people have been trying to hand back their purchase because a week later the new models arrived.

I doubt anything earth-shattering is only a quarter away in any event. Look at the XTR brake revision: the clamps are smaller, and...? a bunch of vague improvements that don't really sound like they mean anything, and yet another ispec (how many times are they going to make all the old ispec stuff incompatible before people just accept that having another clamp isn't the end of the world?).
    I agree with your assumption. Probably, the next larger Saint revision is model year 2016 or later. I still wanted to ask, because sometimes people answer that have inside knowledge, have seen prototypes or know about the usual release cycle.

Trail Ninja
    Saint is not being updated on a 5 year sched, due to DH being very niche. Shimano has hinted that there will be an Enduro specific group, likely including a 4 pot caliper. I don't expect it any time soon. At this rate, the Zees/Saints will be the latest and greatest for another 2 years.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've heard of people running saint calipers with XTR levers - might be as close to an enduro setup as you can get in the meantime