mtbr member

Looking for M980 Rear Shifter Bracket

Long story, but short version is I'm looking for the standard bracket for a rear M980 shifter.

Long version: I have a broken M987 brake lever which I can't get parts for, so bought the new M9020 brake, which is i-spec2. Incompatible with my 980 shifter's i-spec1. I am looking for just the standard mounting bracket for the 980 so I can handlemount both to get back up and rolling. LBS can't find it nor can I find on ebay without buying the whole shifter.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by breaks911 View Post
    Long story, but short version is I'm looking for the standard bracket for a rear M980 shifter.

Long version: I have a broken M987 brake lever which I can't get parts for, so bought the new M9020 brake, which is i-spec2. Incompatible with my 980 shifter's i-spec1. I am looking for just the standard mounting bracket for the 980 so I can handlemount both to get back up and rolling. LBS can't find it nor can I find on ebay without buying the whole shifter.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!
    Going through the same thing as you. I don't think that it's available as a "kit" per se, like the i-spec brackets are. I'd suggest calling Shimano directly to see what they can do. Your a good customer (XTR parts) and I'm sure they'll take care of you. I sent in my XTR brakes (988) under warranty and they could only replace them with 9020's. That's why I'm in the same boat as you regarding the shifter. Best of luck! Let me/us know what they say.

mtbr member

Thx for the reply. I ended up pushing back on the LBS and they reached the shimano warehouse and someone found a bracket and sent it out --- with a pair of socks for the trouble lol.

All set now and the new brake is pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by breaks911 View Post
    Thx for the reply. I ended up pushing back on the LBS and they reached the shimano warehouse and someone found a bracket and sent it out --- with a pair of socks for the trouble lol.

All set now and the new brake is pretty awesome.
    Good deal, I'm leaning on my LBS to get me taken care of also. Got a call to come in in a few days with my i-spec shifter and they'll either replace it or just change out the bracket.

How are the new brakes? My 988's lacked significant power compared to my other bike with XT's. I found the piston seals were weeping brake fluid along with the banjo bolts, hence the return under warranty. I'm hoping that I just got a bad set and the 9020's will be as good as my XT's.

mtbr member

So far it seems awesome. I'm running 987 on the front and the 9020 on the rear. Definitely like the adjustability of the 9020. Stopping power and modulation both good as well. My other bike has XT's and those brakes are hard to beat I agree!

I'm happy though with performance. Been riding a lot in the rain and mud and they're doing a great job.

Good luck getting your issue resolved quickly!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Great, thanks for the feedback. I'm eagerly awaiting the call from the bike shop, I'm ready to give these fancy new 9020's a shot.