mtbr member

I'm done with Shimano until this gets sorted out!

I knew this was happening but I thought it was a way of catching up with SRAM for a short term gain. Looks like Shimano has lost my business until the LBS get the support they deserve. Shame on Shimano.

Retail comment: Why i?ve finished a long relationship with Shimano until dealers take a stand ? Cycling Industry News
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

mtbr member
    It's called survival of the fittest and smartest. Change with the times or get left behind. An example is Kodak. They should have been one of the first to get into digital photography. They didn't, and got left behind. I know someone who owns a shop. He got into selling online a long time ago. He now makes way more money than he ever could of dreamed of, just owning a shop. I don't see a problem with it.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    It's called survival of the fittest and smartest. Change with the times or get left behind. An example is Kodak. They should have been one of the first to get into digital photography. They didn't, and got left behind. I know someone who owns a shop. He got into selling online a long time ago. He now makes way more money than he ever could of dreamed of, just owning a shop. I don't see a problem with it.
    So every small shop has to sell online now just to survive? How does that work out to improve things? It solves nothing.

Online selling at the obscene low prices only works if you're able to buy and sell in high volumes. If EVERY retailer sells online, not all of them will be able to reach the volumes required to offer prices competitive with CRC and others. And if you can't move volumes of product, then the lower margins from each sale won't be a feasible way to keep the doors open.

the real problem with Shimano and others like them is not the "online vs. bricks and mortar" argument that always comes up. It's simpler than that. Shimano has decided that it cares more about moving volumes of product than with good customer support. Shimano doesn't really care HOW retailers move higher volumes of product, though for most that means selling online.

Independent retailers like the one in the article are going to be the ones that give Shimano a wake-up call. I've been hearing about retailers doing this for a number of years now. It's not a lot who are doing it yet, but some are. And I don't feel like it's stopping anytime soon. It's a very risky proposition at this point, though. But if Shimano pisses off enough IBD's who start biting back at Shimano, it's going to become a problem.

What if IBD's charge a premium to service anything with a Shimano label? What if an IBD decides not to service Shimano parts at all?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well as the article said it is not just Shimano it is a lot of manufacturers, they are just the biggest. Ultimately Shimano and any manufacturer care about 1 thing, THIER profit. They are going to sell more through online vendors than they will through small independent shops. That is just a fact. I live in the Midwest so I am speaking only of them but in my experience my shops stopping stocking parts more than 10 years ago. Why because they don't sell them. They stock some clothes and that is about it, everything else is special order.

Unfortunately times change and how we buy and consume goods change. That is why there are far fewer book stores now then in the past.

It is just chaining times. Even if the 50 largest independent dealers said we are not going to buy from you, that is fine because the online retailers will. They will sell their product one way or another because their is a demand for it.

Shops still have their place. Not everyone wants to build their own bike so they buy from a shop that can support them. Not every wants to do their own work either. That is where shops make their money.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Breezer Thunder One
    Motobecane Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Raleigh Willard 3
    Raleigh Furley

Here, diagonally!
    I generally do my own work and bike parts are plenty expensive enough without sending them through a middleman I don't want or need. When online retailers buy in large quantities, I would expect the price they pay to be lower than small transactions with an individual LBS.

On the other hand, I have a friend that never touches his bike. I do a little bit for him here and there, but mostly he just takes it to the LBS. They are providing a service for him and it works out great. I've seem some of the prices he pays for parts, and it's not bad. It's maybe 20% more expensive than Ebay which makes sense to me.

I think we should all know at this point that much of the time the LBS is going to be paying about the same for components as what you can get the part for online if you search. I would not expect the bike shop to select the right part, order it, track it, notify me when it arrives, and then deal with questions and warranty issues for free. If you want their services, expect to pay for them. I don't work for free and I don't expect anyone else to.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I wonder if the independents could do buying clubs. Supposedly that's part of the dominance of Korean hair dressers.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Magically Delicious
    As unfortunate as this situation is, it does seem to be the standard going forward. It's kinda the big-box world of business.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    As unfortunate as this situation is, it does seem to be the standard going forward. It's kinda the big-box world of business.
    The worlds a different place these days. Bike shops need to evolve if they want to stay in business. No different than every industry out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

What if IBD's charge a premium to service anything with a Shimano label? What if an IBD decides not to service Shimano parts at all?
    Sounds like a good way to go out of business quickly. It's not the consumer's fault.