Do Shimano 12 speed chains work with regular NW chainrings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Do Shimano 12 speed chains work with regular NW chainrings?

Just like the title reads? Has anyone tested out the new Shimano 12 speed chains on a standard narrow wide chainring (non Shimano hyperglide).
    I'm curious if there really is a compatibility issue or if it's all Shimano marketing?

I should clarify that my new bike came spec'd with a FSA gradient crankset but Shimano xt back end. The chain they spec'd was a kmc x12 and I'm not a fan of kmc chains.

Thanks

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Yes. But on some of them you have to use an eagle master link.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Yes. But on some of them you have to use an eagle master link.
    Really!? What's the reason behind that do you know I'm curious?

mtbr member
    Since you have an FSA crankset, are you using a Megatooth chainring? I am using the BCD 104 Megatooth in 32 & 34 teeth and even a brand new ones worked with the Shimano quick link. They have a different profile than my RaceFace and Kore chainrings. I mention new since some have gotten the Shimano QL with other narrow wides that were slightly worn/broken in where new ones of that type may not have worked and would need the Eagle QL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    So I do want to add my findings to this thread.

First the reason I asked this question is because I don't really care for KMC chains and I was having shifting problems.
    So to be trueful...The shifting problems I was experiencing turned out to be caused by a loose hanger (badly assembled by the shop).

However I will say that after swapping the chain to the XT chain (since I already had ordered it and received anyway) my drivetrain now shifts smoother than any drivetrain I have owned before.
    So for those who own the new Shimano 12 speed group set and maybe using another brands chain... I will say that,..." yes" the Shimano 12 speed will work with most chains. However, if you choose to use Shimano's 12 speed chains you will notice much quieter and crisper shifting. It is not all just marketing after all.

Additionally it did work with my FSA megatooth chainring just fine

since 4/10/2009
    This is documented all over hell. There are some massive discussions in the drivetrain forum about this. I've personally been on 12spd XTR for almost a year. Others have been using it longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    This is documented all over hell. There are some massive discussions in the drivetrain forum about this. I've personally been on 12spd XTR for almost a year. Others have been using it longer.
    Well I must have been using wrong key search words then. I did find alot of comments telling me it was different... But not many details in each of those threads but just what I said... It's different.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by 20mmrain View Post
    Well I must have been using wrong key search words then. I did find alot of comments telling me it was different... But not many details in each of those threads but just what I said... It's different.
    You did the right thing by starting the thread for your problem.

I've test fit my Shimano 12-spd chain to a Sram 11/12 spd chainring and they fit well. I'm contemplating swapping my M9100 cranks for some XX1 Dub cranks. The Shimano chain definitely makes a difference, shifting much better than the KMC that came stock.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    92gli is right, a SRAM Eagle link works. I just changed to one this evening, on SLX 12-speed chain and SLX 10-51 cassette and SLX derailleur, with a Hope 30T narrow wide chain ring, all new.
    I started with the Shimano quick link that came with the brand new chain and drive train. I noticed when fitting it that the quick link seemed very slightly longer because it would rock in the chain ring, like a worn chain would. It also bound slightly on the wide teeth but I thought that was just the paint on the new ring.
    First ride, I started to get intermittent noises every 20 revs or so, and then the link parted and dropped the chain.

It seems the Shimano quick link is narrower than the typical outer link and so it binds on the wide teeth and sucks in. If you have the rear mech clutch engaged, you may not notice this effect. Maybe Shimano chain rings are a touch slimmer.

The SRAM link works a treat and runs perfectly through the whole train. It is snug in the chain ring just like the other links.
    And they are way cheaper than the Shimano items!
    A bit obvious in looks but that will come in handy.

Shift quality, even with the wrong link, is amazing by the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Not sure if this is a good thread for my question. I have an XT8100 cranks with an XT chainwheel, XT derailleur, shifter, I have the SRAM PG1230 cassette. My next and final purchase will be the chain. Can I use an XT chain, or do I need to use a SRAM?

NedwannaB
    Suscribed

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Use a Shimano 12 speed chain. Doesn't have to be XT, but it can be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoxposer View Post
    Not sure if this is a good thread for my question. I have an XT8100 cranks with an XT chainwheel, XT derailleur, shifter, I have the SRAM PG1230 cassette. My next and final purchase will be the chain. Can I use an XT chain, or do I need to use a SRAM?
    Either SRAM or Shimano 12 speed chain will work.

I'd go Shimano, but also change the cassette to Shimano. The big benefit of 12 speed Shimano is hyperglide+ shifting, which requires a Shimano cassette and chain.

NedwannaB
    XT vs XTR/Durace chains? Heard it's better to get the XT cassette over the XTR as there's been issues with those. How much better is the chain over XT's? Always used them on 9/10/11 spd drivetrains over the years but the new stuff seems to be jumping up a notch in quality!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    Either SRAM or Shimano 12 speed chain will work.

I'd go Shimano, but also change the cassette to Shimano. The big benefit of 12 speed Shimano is hyperglide+ shifting, which requires a Shimano cassette and chain.
    What if I use the following setup:
    - Shimano SLX rear derailleur
    - Shimano SLX//Deore cassette
    - Shimano XT Shifter
    - Shimano Deore chain

BUT with a SRAM quick link to accomodate for the non-shimano chain ring in front. Will I miss out of the HG+ shifting benefits?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That setup will work, just using the Eagle link won't have you missing out on HG+. But depending on your chainring, the chain could still be a bit "sticky" on that chain ring. What crankset are you running that doesn't have the option for a Shimano 12 speed ring?

I like the 9100 chains, but I don't have any empirical data to show it is more durable than the 8100.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brex17 View Post
    That setup will work, just using the Eagle link won't have you missing out on HG+. But depending on your chainring, the chain could still be a bit "sticky" on that chain ring. What crankset are you running that doesn't have the option for a Shimano 12 speed ring?

I like the 9100 chains, but I don't have any empirical data to show it is more durable than the 8100.
    its a slx boost crankset 96bcd so no other factor than cheap mindset from my part 😉. I have several 1x11 shimano chainrings with a lot of life still in them that I like to use up before I dish out for a 1x12 specific one. Is there an affordable shimano 96bcd 1x12 chainring? Deore?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    anyone knows of a deore 6100 chainring with bcd96?

NedwannaB

Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by wiciman View Post
    anyone knows of a deore 6100 chainring with bcd96?
    If the Deore crankset has a 96 bcd then an aftermarket ring that fits either an SLX or XT ring should work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I don't know of any makers of 96 bcd rings for shimano 12 speed.

...In the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by brex17 View Post
    I don't know of any makers of 96 bcd rings for shimano 12 speed.
    Wolftooth, Just make sure you get the Dropstop ST version.