mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Difference between FC-M8000-1 and FC-M8000-2?

Hi,

I just bought a new bike, which is equipped with the Shimano XT (M8000) groupset.
    It comes as a 2x11 setup, but I would like to convert it to a 1x11 as I do not need all the gears in the Netherlands.

I have tried to find it on the Shimano (si.shimano.com) website and internet, but cannot really find a conclusive answer to my question:
    Is there a physical difference between the 8000-1 and 8000-2 crankset?
    All evidence I have found so far points towards the two being identical, but am hoping someone here has seen both and can either confirm or deny that.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Hi it's the same crank
    Just one comes with one Chainring and one with Two!
    The 3x crank is not the same.

Happy cycling

Happy Trails

Difference between FC-M8000-1 and FC-M8000-2?

You can convert your existing crank to 1X. It's fairly simple. You will need to replace the 36-26 with a single ring (probably 32 but maybe 30 or 34 depending on your riding). Here's a schematic for XTR, but XT is similar. Note that if you have a "Boost" 148mm rear axle on a newer bike you will need and extra 2.5mm spacer.

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.p...9020-3776A.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi all, I am having a related problem. Just got my wife a 2017 remedy 9.8, which came with 2x11 XT boost drivetrain. To convert to 1x11, I removed the small ring, bolted up her desired single ring of choice, removed the front der, and done. Unfortunately, it has a horrible chainline (single ring is too far outboard). It has a perfect chainline when chain is on 5th smallest cog, and backpedalling on the largest cog (also installed 11-46 cassette) causes the chain to skip down. Is there a 1x specific spider for the M8000 XT cranks, or alternately, can I swap in a non-boost spider? There is currently tons of room to go inboard. I cannot find these parts called out separately anywhere with part numbers, and really don't want to have to buy a new crankset. I guess I could also install chainring spacers, but not sure I am comfortable with this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos View Post
    Hi all, I am having a related problem. Just got my wife a 2017 remedy 9.8, which came with 2x11 XT boost drivetrain. To convert to 1x11, I removed the small ring, bolted up her desired single ring of choice, removed the front der, and done. Unfortunately, it has a horrible chainline (single ring is too far outboard). It has a perfect chainline when chain is on 5th smallest cog, and backpedalling on the largest cog (also installed 11-46 cassette) causes the chain to skip down. Is there a 1x specific spider for the M8000 XT cranks, or alternately, can I swap in a non-boost spider? There is currently tons of room to go inboard. I cannot find these parts called out separately anywhere with part numbers, and really don't want to have to buy a new crankset. I guess I could also install chainring spacers, but not sure I am comfortable with this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
    Shawn

Okay - for what it is worth, I called Shimano today and they confirmed that the Crank arm/spider for the M8000-B1 and M8000-B2 are the same. I cannot get the spider from an M8000-1 (non boost) and put it on my M8000-B2 (boost) to bring the chainring inboard. Spiders are apparently part of the crank... Looks like spacers in my future

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's been said a bunch on here, Shimano non boost cranks with oneup or AB rings give much better chainline on a boost frame.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It's been said a bunch on here, Shimano non boost cranks with oneup or AB rings give much better chainline on a boost frame.
    yep, I would agree completely. Unfortunately the bike came with a 2x boost arrangement, so I was hoping it would be possible to just change the spider. Since it isn't, 3mm spacers in conjunction with absolute black ring and 2x boost XT crankset give me a perfect chainline in the middle cog. Still cheaper than purchasing another crankset.