mtbr member

Di2 battery drain?

I've had XT Di2 2x11 on my bike since January and have unfortunately not been riding it much.

From new the battery life has been pretty poor. From fully charged to flat within 2 weeks of no riding. A 4 hour ride will take the battery from fully charged to 4 bars and then run flat within a week.

I've swapped the battery and the same thing is happening with the new battery.

The next part to check will be the junction box, but does anyone have any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    I've had XT Di2 2x11 on my bike since January and have unfortunately not been riding it much.

From new the battery life has been pretty poor. From fully charged to flat within 2 weeks of no riding. A 4 hour ride will take the battery from fully charged to 4 bars and then run flat within a week.

I've swapped the battery and the same thing is happening with the new battery.

The next part to check will be the junction box, but does anyone have any other ideas?
    Hi do you have the derailleur stops justed too tight?
    If you have the derailleur stop screws not adjusted right the battery will go flat fast.
    Do not adjust the stops the same as a mechanical derailleur, look up si.shimano info and adjust them as per the manuels.
    A Di2 battery should last for 2000+ km's or months of riding.

All the best

P

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    All of the setup has been done by the lbs. Heaps of experience with Di2 and never a problem on my road bikes.

I'm assuming you mean the front derailleur stops for the 2x set up? I never leave the bike in 1 or 11 on the rear but it's always at either extreme on the front being 2x. Definitely worth checking.

EAT MORE GRIME
    unplug battery

look on battery university or candlepowerforums on how you can
    test the [battery and capacity] and also look for shorts in (any system) the di2 system. I suspect the di2 board itself has some bad components if it drains
    a new pack well before expected runtimes

always unplug the pack for anything if you aren't using it, parasitic drain occurs
    on almost everything nowadays for sensing on/off switch
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

R.I.P. DogFriend
    That is excessive drain. I have had mine sitting for most of the past two months having only ridden a handful of times, and it has gone down two bars. Over the past year, that isn't much different than when I have been riding more often. So, while sitting does seem to drain some power, 50% in two weeks is nowhere near what I am experiencing.

mtbr member
    The shop has gone through the process of unplugging everything for a few days at a time and measuring the rate the battery is going down.

Even though the e-tube bluetooth software told me everything was up to date the shops software said the front derailleur needed updating. That was done and everything tested. It seems it was just in need of that update.

mtbr member
    Can you believe this is still going!

It seems to be the front derailleur adjustment. When left in the big ring at the front the battery goes flat quickly. When left in the small ring there are no issues.

MarkyMark
    This is very interesting. Thanks for the update.

I only have 1x11 Di2 setups. I charged the battery on my Mojo3 after ~1 year after it got down to 2 bars. My Slayer still had 3 bars after 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    Can you believe this is still going!

It seems to be the front derailleur adjustment. When left in the big ring at the front the battery goes flat quickly. When left in the small ring there are no issues.