mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Di2 1x 11 set up.

Di2 .

1 x 11 set up.
    Do i need the Shimano XTR Di2 M9050 System Display
    or can i run it just with a Dura-Ace Di2 EW90 Junction-A Box.

Further dose anyone have any info on mounting the Batt in the
    fork steerer tube.

thnaks

Would appreciate as list of what i need to purchase to get the system up and running.

Slowest Rider
    Doing an XTR Di2 3x11 setup myself. Shimano doesn't have much setup information on their web site, so I'm going to look at the components and guides once my XTR Di2 units come in. I ordered a single (right) shifter, display, and front and rear derailleur.

Unfortunately I don't have much information yet, as my Di2 components are still on the way. Most places won't have XTR Di2 stock until February, but Chain Reaction has most all of the XTR Di2 components available now or next week. Did you find another source?

I want to go with the MTB specific XTR Di2 that has Junction B in the SM-BTC1 bottle cage mount (available in two weeks from Chain Reaction), and Junction A in the Di2 display (available now). Be interesting if the Dura-Ace EW90 works for Junction A, but I don't need it. Note that the Di2 display at Chain reaction is only $99 versus $78 for the EW90, and in stock.

It should be like the road Di2 system that's been around for 5 years, so you may find setup information on the road bike forum.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    Doing an XTR Di2 3x11 setup myself. Shimano doesn't have much setup information on their web site, so I'm going to look at the components and guides once my XTR Di2 units come in. I ordered a single (right) shifter, display, and front and rear derailleur.

Unfortunately I don't have much information yet, as my Di2 components are still on the way. Most places won't have XTR Di2 stock until February, but Chain Reaction has most all of the XTR Di2 components available now or next week. Did you find another source?

I want to go with the MTB specific XTR Di2 that has Junction B in the SM-BTC1 bottle cage mount (available in two weeks from Chain Reaction), and Junction A in the Di2 display (available now). Be interesting if the Dura-Ace EW90 works for Junction A, but I don't need it. Note that the Di2 display at Chain reaction is only $99 versus $78 for the EW90, and in stock.

It should be like the road Di2 system that's been around for 5 years, so you may find setup information on the road bike forum.
    Actually there's a dealer manual on the shimano site that indicates you can use either the display or the normal junction A (roadies don't have suspension so has to be for the MTB stuff!). It's in the tech docs section on the XTR DI2 stuff.

BL, where'd you get your cranks from for the build if I might ask, as I'm thinking of pushing the button on a 2x DI2 setup myself.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by gc49 View Post
    Actually there's a dealer manual on the shimano site that indicates you can use either the display or the normal junction A (roadies don't have suspension so has to be for the MTB stuff!). It's in the tech docs section on the XTR DI2 stuff.

BL, where'd you get your cranks from for the build if I might ask, as I'm thinking of pushing the button on a 2x DI2 setup myself.
    I'm going to have to dig for that manual. So far it didn't show up in the search on Shimano for "Di2". I'm not a dealer. Can I still get it?
    [Edit: Using your directions, I found the manuals for Di2 here. ]

I also found the 11-speed XTR cranks is the last item becoming available on the Di2 electronic shifter system. Everything is from Chain Reaction Cycles, which looks to have the earliest lead as well as the best prices. The 3X crank is the same price as the 2X ($420), and all versions of the XTR M9020 Trail 2X and 3X crank will be in stock on January 26. (The 1X crank is coming on Jan 19.) Another couple weeks for free delivery. I've got other components being built (like carbon wheels) and busy on other projects, so I'm fine getting the final build completed in mid-February. It'll be yet another month of tuning all the shocks, stem, and other items.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks Gentlemen for the links and info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    just wondering this, got most of the bits, waiting on mech/SM-BTC1

im assuming you can bypass both?

shifter with long e-tube to straight to SM-BTC1 - battery can be charged with mini usb so you don't need the junction which just allows the split shifters to go into 1x cable down to the SM-BTC1 - and lets you charge the battery using the 3rd port

cable from SM-BTC1 to rear mech, via D-Fly to link in the garmin to show mech position/battery indicator

although i guess 1 or the other (junction/display) is needed for installation, i guess it can be removed once setup?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Holy cow! I just finished the installation of my XTR Di2 1x11 setup on my Santa Cruz Solo. This stuff is amazing! It shifts so fast and accurate with these firebolts shifters. Nevertheless I will have to get used to the shifters as I miss the ability to shift with the index finger tough.

My setup consists out of the following parts:
    SW-M9050 Firebolt shifter
    SC-M905 system Display
    SM-BTR2 battery (wrapped in foam film and hidden in the seattube, the Di2 cables are inserted at the bottom of the seattube where there is a hole for the dropper seatpost).
    SM-JC41 junction box (also hidden in the seattube)
    RD-M9050 rear derailleur (GS-version)
    SRAM X01 cassette
    Wolftooth 30 tooth chainring for XTR M985 crank
    KMC X11-SL DLC chain
    EW-SD50 Di2 cables

I only had a quick spin in front of my house so far, but at the moment I am very impressed. I hope I will find some time to take some decent photos and more important to get so real trail time the following weekend. I will keep you guys updated.
    Last edited by randan; 01-07-2015 at 11:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I've been researching this stuff and its a little more complex than I first thought. Seems like Shimano would have a clearer explanation of the system layout on their site but I guess its still early. There is a lot of good info on the road stuff on the Competitive Cyclist site which helped me piece the part #'s together. Also made me realize it would be about $400 MORE expensive than I first penciled out unfortunately (I didn't think about the battery, charger, and cable cost). I can see it will be frustrating getting all the parts together and in the right lengths especially waiting to receive them from CRC. Eager to buy, hope the stuff shows up on time and doesn't sell out before I order. I'm sure there will be many, many posts over the next few months detailing exactly how to set it up so no worries. I don't even start riding trail again until March and yet I still can't wait to buy this stuff and try it out. Super expensive for bike parts, but I imagine it will feel like the equivalent of having a double clutch semi-auto paddle shifted transmission in a sports car.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    And be aware that you will need an Windows PC to connect the system to the computer. I bought most of the stuff from CRC but the battery from a different shop. As I plugged altogether, nothing worked. I first had to find a PC running Windows (I am a Mac user) to update the firmware with the Shimano E-Tube software… Explain this to your wife and she thinks “now he is totally nuts…”

The E-Tube programm should running on a Mac using the programm VM Ware Fusion (although you need a copy of the Windows system for that).

For selecting the parts needed, I found the attached line up chart from Shimano very helpful.

Edit: Here is the link to the Shimano page where you also can see the line up charts for the 2x11 and 3x11 setups.
    Line-up chart - Shimano Product Information Web
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Geez that reminds me why I originally was definitely not going electric "I don't want my bike to be disabled by an EMP strike !". Not to mention an anti-Shimano computer virus ! Can you imagine ? Thanks for the info, I think I'm covered as we have 7 computers in my house running Windows lol.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's mine:

TonyC
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the info Randan, it looks great and I am glad you are happy with your setup.
    I have a 2013 tallboy and am looking at the same conversion, is it possible explaining the process with photos? particularly how you installed the battery etc into the seat post.
    Cheers and keep well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tonycelliers

The process was pretty straightforward. I wrapped the battery in foam-wrap and attached a loop with zip ties. This loop is very important so that you can "fish" the battery out of the seat tube just in case. The battery snugs now perfectly in to the seat tube without rattling around. And because this foam-wrap is flexible you could also pass a cable/hose for a stealth dropper adjacent to the battery. At the bottom of the battery I attached a short Di2 cable that goes to the junction SM-JC41. From the junction two cables exit the seattube at the dropper post hole at the bottom and are connected to the display at the handlebars and to the rear derailleur. I attached the DI2 cable alongsside the frame to the brake hose with small zip ties. I hope you get what I mean. If there are other questions just ask.

TonyC
    Mar 2015
    Thanks Randan, the pic is very helpful, looks like I will have to run my wiring up my seat post and out the top, I have a 2013 frame that has no dropper post hole on the bottom.
    How have you found this setup with moisture and water, is it sealed enough?
    How far down the seat tube does the battery sink to prevent deep fishing?
    Cheers and keep well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Di2 1x 11 set up.-20150306_135622.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What shifters are you using?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    What shifters are you using?
    3ESH9-15.0 | Interruptor táctil tipo Botón, Negro, contactos SP | MEC
    Wear this connected to sw-R600 but it can also serve the sw-r610 connected to sw-r600

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by DeiviX View Post
    3ESH9-15.0 | Interruptor táctil tipo Botón, Negro, contactos SP | MEC
    Wear this connected to sw-R600 but it can also serve the sw-r610 connected to sw-r600

That is brilliant. How are you mounting those? Are they just under the grips?
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tonycelliers View Post
    How have you found this setup with moisture and water, is it sealed enough?
    How far down the seat tube does the battery sink to prevent deep fishing?
    Cheers and keep well.
    As far as I know the battery and the plugs are sealed, so water/moisture should be no problem (correct me if I'm wrong).
    I put the battery as deep as I could to have enough space for my dropper post above the battery. From the top of the battery to the seattube are about 17 cm (medium Santa Cruz Solo frame). Fishing the battery out is an easy process with the ziptie loop an a old spoke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    That is brilliant. How are you mounting those? Are they just under the grips?
    All hidden wiring head tube, stem, handlebar and under grips

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone running Di2 XTR with the external battery on a 2014-15 SC Nomad? Details and pics appreciated.
    XTR Di2
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1
    #weareone #stagescycling #9point8ca #rideshimano #pocsports

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hello,

Anyone has built their Di2 XTR with the oneup 45t? Any experience? Feel? Reliability?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBikeGuide View Post
    Anyone running Di2 XTR with the external battery on a 2014-15 SC Nomad? Details and pics appreciated.
    Here's an SM-BMR2 (which is an updated SM-BMR1 via SM-PCE1 $150 with the free eTube app) taken apart and soldered to 2 wires. Those 2 wires are shrink-wrapped in yellow to cover the battery posts from the SM-BMR2 (~$30 on Ebay).

I bot the battery on Ebay for 6 bux with 7.4v 1300mAh capacity. The Shimano battery is 7.4v and 500mAh. I wanted the battery to last longer so I went with more mAh.

Pictured below, it is scotch-taped to the seat tube of my road bike. I know it isn't pretty right now but I can drill some small holes (6mm or 7/32 wallowed out a bit) and tuck it somewhere later. For 36 bux, anyone can do this.

If you want the SM-BTC1 tube case with SM-BTR2 battery (external system), be ready to spend ~180 bux. You're call.

Shown is an Ultegra 6870 road system but the eTube CAN-bus system is all the same for these Shimano grouppos.
    Ultegra 6770 10spd
    Ultegra 6870 11spd
    DuraAce 9070 11spd
    XTR 9050 11spd
    XT 8050 11spd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Di2 1x 11 set up.-bmr-7-4v-1300mah.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Holy cow! I just finished the installation of my XTR Di2 1x11 setup on my Santa Cruz Solo. This stuff is amazing! It shifts so fast and accurate with these firebolts shifters. Nevertheless I will have to get used to the shifters as I miss the ability to shift with the index finger tough.

SC-M905 system Display
    SM-BTR2 battery (wrapped in foam film and hidden in the seattube, the Di2 cables are inserted at the bottom of the seattube where there is a hole for the dropper seatpost).
    SRAM X01 cassette
    KMC X11-SL DLC chain
    EW-SD50 Di2 cables

I only had a quick spin in front of my house so far, but at the moment I am very impressed. I hope I will find some time to take some decent photos and more important to get so real trail time the following weekend. I will keep you guys updated.
    So now that you have been riding your 1x11 Di2 setup for a couple of years, can you confirm that the GS style read derailleur has worked fine with the 10-42 cassette?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Conlin View Post
    So now that you have been riding your 1x11 Di2 setup for a couple of years, can you confirm that the GS style read derailleur has worked fine with the 10-42 cassette?
    I know you didn't ask me but my set up has been flaw less for over a year. Running XD driver and XG-1199 cassette (XX1) and shifts are perfect.

I recently installed the OneUp Components 44T sprocket to replace the worn 42T alloy sprocket and it shifts perfectly (in fact better as I was oblivious to the amount of wear that the old 42T had suffered).

New sprocket, new chain and new chain ring. Slight B-tension adjustment to space correctly for slightly larger sprocket and it is good to go for another hard year.

This is my 1 x Di2 build: The evolution of a mountain bike: Integrated Di2 cockpit (Build 9) - bikeandskiblogbikeandskiblog
    Last edited by AndrewBikeGuide; 12-16-2016 at 12:30 AM.
    XTR Di2
    2018 Norco Sight C9.1
    2018 Norco Range C9.1
    #weareone #stagescycling #9point8ca #rideshimano #pocsports

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Conlin View Post
    I have been running the XT Di2 GS RD (RD-M8050-GS) for a couple months with a 10-42 SRAM cassette and it works perfectly.

lost in France
    Oct 2013

DI2 on high tower.

SC-M905 system Display
    SRAM X01 cassette
    KMC X11-SL DLC chain
    EW-SD50 Di2 cables

ho was this? did you remove the dropper post and go normal post for this? looking at fitting this but really prefer the battery hidden.

cheers

mtbr member
    I took my internal junction, wrapped it in my HVAC piping insulation to prevent rattling, and hold it in place.
    Same with the battery. I then put it in the head tube,
    and down into the top tube slightly.
    No noise at all.

Di2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160729_230622735.jpgDi2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160804_221343697.jpgDi2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160804_221743142.jpg

I also cut and soldered the wire to the rear derailleur, to armor it with paintball marker macroline, since it would be exposed, and I wanted it to be much more protected!

Di2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160805_180618679.jpgDi2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160805_180924720.jpgDi2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160805_183001724.jpgDi2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160805_183037937.jpgDi2 1x 11 set up.-img_20160810_152539262.jpg
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Members who have read this thread: 12