cooked my totors- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cooked my totors

brand new 2021 Levo, SLX 4 pots, 203mm rotors front and rear. No idea what type brake pads, whatever Spesh specs. Rode one pretty steep downhill yesterday and rear rotor turned blue. Rode another less steep downhill 6-ish miles) and front went blue tto. Both howling and vibrating through the bike. Obviously will talk to shop I bought it from but pretty annoying. Always loved Shimano brakes but laat bike (2018 Levo) had Guide RE's and although they didn't feel as nice as Shimano they got the job done and never cooked rotors.....

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Is it possible you have metal pads but "resin pad" rotors, cause that'll f em up quick
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    Is it possible you have metal pads but "resin pad" rotors, cause that'll f em up quick
    This was what I was wondering.

OP, check your rotors. They usually say something like "RESIN ONLY" (like, stamped into the steel) on them.

Metallic pads operate/function at higher temperatures, so if you have metallic pads, they might be "cooking" your Resin only brake rotors.

Also, potentially the rotors or pads were contaminated? That could cause some of the same problems.

Sounds like you should be able to take them to the shop though, and figure out what is wrong.

But if you DO have to replace the rotors, I'd go big on an E bike. Grab some 220/223mm rotors. The last article I read about them indicated that just going larger can drop rotor temps ~39c (~100f) over the same brands 203mm rotors.

mtbr member
    took it to shop I bought it from. turns out they spec it with organic pads, rotors do not appear to be "organic only". they said try metallic pads so I bought two sets of XTR (all they had). $6000 on new bike and I gotta spend $80+ after 3 rides..... not cool but the things we do to ride. will rough up rotors drop in new pads and give it a go.....thanks for repsonses!

Class Clown
    icetech rotors

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    How often do you ride that hill?
    Were the new brakes already properly bedded in by time you hit the hill?

mtbr member
    I ended up taking some medium sand paper to them (both sides) and then cleaning with rubbing alcohol. also swapped pads to XTR metallic with fins. two rides so far and everything seems good. never got all the discoloration off rotors but apparently it's not necessary....