mtbr member

Another freakin I-spec thread!

Ok, rather than explain the whole story, I will just say that I want to run new XTR i spec shifters with my 2013 XT brake levers. Should be easy right? That's what I thought. My levers are M-785 (no A or B after) JUST M-785. *Supposedly* only I-spec A will work. Nobody seems to have these anymore. Shimano told me they will no longer make them. there has to be a way around this???

Appreciate any insight.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    The original M785 levers were I-Spec A, but didn't have an 'A' in the model number, because at the time Shimano didn't know they were gonna come out with a 'B' a year later! You can fit either XTR I-Spec A or B shifters (SL-M980-A-I or SL-M980-B-I) to them. A will fit straight on with the fittings supplied. B shifters have two sets of fittings supplied - one fits I-Spec A levers, the other I-Spec B, you just need to select the right fittings as per the diagram below ('conventional' means I-Spec A, and 'new' is I-Spec B) :-

Name:  I-spec B.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  29.4 KB

If you've already been in contact with Shimano I'm surprised they didn't explain this to you.

I've just fitted a pair of XTR M980 I-Spec B shifters to my I-Spec A M666 SLX levers - was a simple procedure, and they are superb shifters - a joy to use!

Edit: I'm assuming that by 'new XTR shifters' you mean M980, not the M9000? If its M9000 you're talking about then they use a third I-Spec standard called I-Spec II which isn't compatible with either I-Spec A or B levers!

mtbr member
    Thats what I thought! I must have got "the new guy" at Shimano. I called them directly to get the final answer. I did my research and was 95% sure I knew what I needed, then called them and got a big fat "No" Funny one of the more informative threads I found here had a lot of good info from you. Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday I found a place with stock of OEM A type shifters and ordered a set...what a mess....
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Another freakin I-spec thread!-p4pb10095780.jpg

So has anybody had any luck finding these? I've been trawling all over the internet and my local distributor can't get them at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p4pb10095780.jpg 
Views:	1740 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	952036

So has anybody had any luck finding these? I've been trawling all over the internet and my local distributor can't get them at all.
    The full set of bolts including the one you circled will come with a proper retail boxed set of I-Spec B shifters. However, there's a lot of OEM shifters being sold by the big online stores these days and they only come with the I-Spec B fittings.

You can buy the bolts as a spare part #Y6UV98090 - but a quick Google showed all the usual suspects are out of stock - but you probably knew all that already.

My only other suggestion is to reach out to your local MTB community. Anyone who's bought a boxed set of shifters and fitted them to I-Spec B levers will have the parts you circled red left over. Couple of months back I got a great deal on some XTR shifters, but they were OEM and didn't come with those nuts, so I posted a plea on my local club forum got a couple donated for free!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    The full set of bolts including the one you circled will come with a proper retail boxed set of I-Spec B shifters. However, there's a lot of OEM shifters being sold by the big online stores these days and they only come with the I-Spec B fittings.

You can buy the bolts as a spare part #Y6UV98090 - but a quick Google showed all the usual suspects are out of stock - but you probably knew all that already.

My only other suggestion is to reach out to your local MTB community. Anyone who's bought a boxed set of shifters and fitted them to I-Spec B levers will have the parts you circled red left over. Couple of months back I got a great deal on some XTR shifters, but they were OEM and didn't come with those nuts, so I posted a plea on my local club forum got a couple donated for free!
    Yeah, that's what happened actually, I was sold a set only with the B bolts/nuts included. I've tried almost everything, before posting here. Thanks anyway.

IF anyone's got just one of those nuts and is willing, I'd happily buy them off you and pay for it, inclusive of shipping. Please PM me and we can work out the details.

mtbr member
    Might want to put that request in the Brake forum, gets a lot more traffic than this one...