Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Cool. there are a couple vendors that have everything so I might do a transaction to get a 100 off and then have someone else do another so I get another 100.

Will do the brakes prebled in one and the drive train in another. I assume that washer will come with the cassette.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I donít recall receiving a washer with the cassette...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I donít recall receiving a washer with the cassette...
    Don't you need it?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    This listing is a little confusing, but if true, this is by far the cheapest offer that I have seen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SHIMANO...5s_PHEZkF4h9ew

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sadly that group is not 4 piston.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I was more alluding to the ~$414 price for the drivetrain. I paid $600.

At that price I am tempted to buy it just to have spares!

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    $414 is only for the brakes

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Aha. I feel MUCH better now.
    Sort of.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member

New question here.

I recently received a Shimano XTR RD-M9100 GS rear derailleur that I ordered from bike-components.de. Upon inspection, I noticed that the cage has a curve and the top and bottom pulleys aren't aligned. I tried contacting Shimano to no avail. Can anyone who owns one of these confirm if it's supposed to be like this or the cage of my rear derailleur is bent?

2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-shimano-xtr-rd-m9100.jpg

2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-shimano-xtr-rd-m9100-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ill look in a bit

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    I recently received a Shimano XTR RD-M9100 GS rear derailleur that I ordered from bike-components.de. Upon inspection, I noticed that the cage has a curve and the top and bottom pulleys aren't aligned. I tried contacting Shimano to no avail. Can anyone who owns one of these confirm if it's supposed to be like this or the cage of my rear derailleur is bent?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shimano XTR RD-M9100.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1230875

Name:	Shimano XTR RD-M9100 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	1230876
    the inner metal age is angled. not sure if there's significant curvature. this is 51t SGS

2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-xtr.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    the inner metal age is angled. not sure if there's significant curvature. this is 51t SGS

Name:	xtr.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	1230881
    Except for the longer cage, it looks like mine, so I guess it's designed to be like this. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Except for the longer cage, it looks like mine, so I guess it's designed to be like this. Thanks.
    I dunno. His pulley wheels look co-planar/co-linear. Yours don't.

OTOH it's hard to tell what exactly is what from the pictures, and it probably doesn't matter even if it's a little off, but XTR certainly isn't cheap, and I can't imagine why the pulley wheels wouldn't be aligned. If nothing else there are going to be a bunch of people who suddenly think their derailleur hangers are misaligned if Shimano actually designed the derailleur cage to no longer be perfectly parallel to the cogs.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Mine is like that, doesn't seem to affect shifting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    my pulleys have a slight offset but are straight up and down and parallel to each other and the cage does not have a bend to it at the bottom like that. Its on the bike but I will try and upload a pic of it.
    2019 santa cruz hightower LT
    2016 santa cruz stigmata

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    What is the word on if the new XTR chain is backwards compatible with M8000 chainrings? I am waiting for the shipment of new XTR 4 pots brakes, shifter, cassette and DT Swiss microspline freehub.

Cheers,
    Mike
    It is not...ended up using an older worn out XT chain ring and SRAM Eagle chain. Works well in the parking lot. Will try it out with intervals tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Mine looks all bent too. This is normal. M9000/9050 series was bent, as are the last few iterations of my Dura Ace/Ultegra rear derailleurs. I was concerned the first time I saw it on a Di2 Ultegra mech and just assumed it was an 11 speed era tweak to assist the chain return from the chainrings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Anyone have the chainring yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm still looking for cranks and chain ring too.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aja07 View Post
    Anyone have the chainring yet?
    Many European sites seem to suggest the chainring is 2-3 weeks away (Mantel.com says next week!) although Shimano Australia werenít expecting any in January.

I recieved my M9120 cranks from Merlin Cycles a month ago. They are still in stock. FYI - the cranks come with the chainring tool TL-FC41.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Do any of you know if the new M9100 Shifter can be mounted to M9000/M8000 brakes with the older I-Spec II setup? I've heard that the Shimano line is that I-Spec EV is NOT backwards compatible, but then I've heard *rumors* that it works with the I-Spec II.... I don't know what to believe...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    Do any of you know if the new M9100 Shifter can be mounted to M9000/M8000 brakes with the older I-Spec II setup? I've heard that the Shimano line is that I-Spec EV is NOT backwards compatible, but then I've heard *rumors* that it works with the I-Spec II.... I don't know what to believe...
    Yes, the new shifter can be mounted to an I-Spec II mount if you use the older nut from the I-Spec II mount (because the new nut is longer and has a different curvature). Iíve done this below:
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-9507fefc-a6a0-4d93-9ad6-97cae881086c.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I-Spec II and I-Spec EV aren't 100% compatible, but they're close enough.

The new nut has a slightly different curvature, but you can tighten it just fine.

You can also use the old nut if you file down the top and replace the stock bolt with an M5x12mm like the one shown in the following pictures.

2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-i-spec-adaptado-01.jpg
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-i-spec-adaptado-02.jpg
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-i-spec-adaptado-03.jpg
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-i-spec-adaptado-04.jpg
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-i-spec-adaptado-05.jpg

mtbr member
    And the 9000 shifter will mount the same as the ispec ev 9100 shifter on the 9100 brakes........
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    And the 9000 shifter will mount the same as the ispec ev 9100 shifter on the 9100 brakes........
    thanks for this. i just installed the 22.2 clamp shifter pod w/ hope levers and the shifter is wayyyy too far inboard.

will try to re-install with the hope ispec b adapter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    for those waiting on chainrings, the 9000 steel 1x chainring seems to be thin enough to be compatible.

also very surprised at the low cable tension this RD needs in 11th gear. the action at the tall end of the range seems to be a littttle less precise than i anticipated.

and the shifter is STIFF before break-in.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Still amazed this stuff isn't readily available other than outside the US.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Is Shimano having QC issues, or are they just this bad at production and distribution?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Might be the plant fire. Not sure.

mtbr member
    Since you cannot see both crank arms at the same time when installed, I would be fine with those. Maybe you can get some money back if you keep them.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This is nuts. I was waiting on the group mostly for the hubs and to see if USA prices were different.

Guess I'm building up DT wheels

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just called worldwide cyclery, delivery of xtr expected in April now. Was suposed to be 2/1.

Shimano is up to something. May be xt and slx 1x12?

mtbr member
    I presently have a set of DT 240s and rims and they rock just fine. It seems we are always waiting for some bit. Most always the best bits are not available on published dates and quantity. Sure does generate interest and pent up demand. I am sure we will not be disappointed.

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Forgot the link before https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shiman...available.html

I was never planning on getting the cranks. Are people having issues with other brands rings working?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Reading that article it seems the answer is yes - Shimano is having quality issues AND production issues.

So the Scylence hub is cancelled? They couldn't get it to work right?

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What is the deal with the cranks and chainrings? I was never planning on using XTR cranks. I have Next cranks and wolf ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJF View Post

I was never planning on getting the cranks. Are people having issues with other brands rings working?
    Thanks for the link. Explains a ton!

Magically Delicious
    This is nuts. I was waiting on the group mostly for the hubs and to see if USA prices were different.
    I'm just interested in what's your interest in the hubs?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

BJF
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I'm just interested in what's your interest in the hubs?
    Something different. I swear by DT240 and would normally never get the XTR but being silent I thought it was pretty cool.

Magically Delicious
    I doubt that I would seriously entertain those hubs, but I would like to see them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

I am using raceface next with cinch chainring. only issues were the master link on the new 12 speed chain would get slightly hung up when backpedaling on the bottom teeth of the chainring. but after about 50 miles it must have wore the teeth down slightly and it disappeared. I have always used a oneup chain guide even with sram so not sure about chain retention issue possibility but i have had zero issues with any of the new european bought xtr and it is still the best drivetrain by far I have ever used. The shifting under power and ease of setup are my favorite selling points. Way easier to setup smooth shifting then sram eagle and shifts smoothly even under full power.
    2016 santa cruz stigmata

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I doubt that I would seriously entertain those hubs, but I would like to see them.
    Can you explain why not? I was about to get a set of wheels built up with these hubs and then the Shimano issues popped up literally the same day as I was about to order! I was going to go Onyx but the weight and the lack of new shimano driver held me back.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Can you explain why not?
    Several reasons...

I have had my fair share of years with cup & cone hubs and given the ease of maintenance and performance of cartridge bearings, I sticking with them.

The new XTR's only come with Center Lock hubs and all of my bikes and wheel sets are 6-bolt disks. I have no desire to start buying/stocking brake disks that only fit one set of hubs.

Non proven new freehubs... I'm not into experimenting and being a guinea pig to aid in someone else's design and learning curve.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Can you explain why not? I was about to get a set of wheels built up with these hubs and then the Shimano issues popped up literally the same day as I was about to order! I was going to go Onyx but the weight and the lack of new shimano driver held me back.
    In my last custom build, I tried to get a quiet hub. As you mentioned, the Onyx is a pig and Project 321 had issues. So I bought another pair of 240s with the 52. Turned out the whole quiet thing was overblown by me. I almost never hear 240s hub and when I do notice it, it is sutle and I soon do not hear it again. Onyx should have a newer lighter hub available soon. Yes it is a bit disappointing there will not be a quiet Hub from Shamino anytime soon. Does anyone remember when Shamano adverstised a quiet hub for cops so they could roll up a a bad guy with no warning? I saw the ad when they were pushing it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    oF those who have the new XTR, what chainring is working for you? Basic Narrow-wide?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    oF those who have the new XTR, what chainring is working for you? Basic Narrow-wide?
    I am using raceface next with cinch chainring. only issues were the master link on the new 12 speed chain would get slightly hung up when backpedaling on the bottom teeth of the chainring. but after about 50 miles it must have wore the teeth down slightly and it disappeared.
    2016 santa cruz stigmata

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So are there going to be 12 speed Shimano chain rings available? I have RF cinch and am getting ready to switch over to the new kit. That said I would prefer a chain ring that works with it. Also waiting for WT to bring out a an adapter for my dropper lever and new I-Spec.

was fast
    Jan 2011

XTR 12s Chainring compatibilty

What is the deal with the cranks and chainrings? I was never planning on using XTR cranks. I have Next cranks and wolf ring.
    Posted in this section about my XTR 12 setup with M9000 cranks:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/shimano/m910...s-1096476.html

Short version is the 12S XTR quicklink is 3.52mm between plates. Most narrow/wide rings are about 3.71mm wide meaning, the XTR quicklink will not fit over the wide teeth. So if you are planning an XTR12 build without M9100 12s cranks, do some home work.

I ground the wide teeth on my Wolftooth 32T ring to ~3.45mm and it works perfectly. Contacted Wolftooth. This was their reply:

"We plan to launch XTR 12 compatible chainrings in late February. These will be available as Race Face Cinch Direct Mount, XTR 12 Direct Mount, and Camo Rings. Sales will determine if it is feasible to expand the rings into other varieties."

Also the cage on my RD is not co-planar, the upper and lower jockeys are not aligned in the same plane. You can see stamping shapes in the plate to indicate it is intentional

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilio700 View Post
    Posted in this section about my XTR 12 setup with M9000 cranks:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/shimano/m910...s-1096476.html

Short version is the 12S XTR quicklink is 3.52mm between plates. Most narrow/wide rings are about 3.71mm wide meaning, the XTR quicklink will not fit over the wide teeth. So if you are planning an XTR12 build without M9100 12s cranks, do some home work.

I ground the wide teeth on my Wolftooth 32T ring to ~3.45mm and it works perfectly. Contacted Wolftooth. This was their reply:

"We plan to launch XTR 12 compatible chainrings in late February. These will be available as Race Face Cinch Direct Mount, XTR 12 Direct Mount, and Camo Rings. Sales will determine if it is feasible to expand the rings into other varieties."

Also the cage on my RD is not co-planar, the upper and lower jockeys are not aligned in the same plane. You can see stamping shapes in the plate to indicate it is intentional

Or you could use a Sram Eagle quick link and not have to grind on the chain ring.....

was fast
    Jan 2011
    Or you could use a Sram Eagle quick link and not have to grind on the chain ring.....
    That assumes the inner link width and pin diameters are exactly the same, which I doubt. Post here if you try that experiment.

mtbr member
    That assumes the inner link width and pin diameters are exactly the same, which I doubt. Post here if you try that experiment.
    I checked mine with a Mechanical-Optical Comparator and they are exactly the same. How did you check yours?

mtbr member
    Here is all the updates about XTR

Some people have been buying pre-production parts as new parts, for European countries bike shops.

Yes in the new box's but with the bit of paper saying not for riding removed!

Yes I have had parts like this when XT 11 speed came out year ago.

https://pinkbike.com/news/shimanos-n...available.html

So chainrings and non XTR 12 speed cranks are coming and some parts are changing for February.

Happy cycling

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

CEO Product Failure

No good

Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yes?
    Nope. Whats the point? I can't run a 2x with a 40t rear. And my 1x is limited to a 32t front.

I don't have the leg speed or access to Armstrong's dope to ride at a pace equivalent to a 2x with a 36t in back and 43t up front.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post

I don't have the leg speed or access to Armstrong's dope...
    Just a simple transfusion should do the job.

was fast
    Jan 2011
    I checked mine with a Mechanical-Optical Comparator and they are exactly the same. How did you check yours?
    Digital Vernier caliper. Can you be more clear, did you successfully install a SRAM quicklink on an XTR12 chain and run it smoothly on a non-XTR12 narrow wide chainring?

The info you provide might help others if it's definitive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    here's 9100 cranks mounted with absolute black oval 30T chainring.

setup is about 70g lighter than 9000 xtr with the steel 1x ring.

2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-thumbnail.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The inner link pin diameter is the same. The width was .001" wider for the inner link on the Eagle chain than on the XTR by my vernier calipers. This means the Eagle link fits just fine on the XTR chain as I and many others have been using. I am running the OneUp M9000 XTR chainring with no issues other than having to use the Eagle quicklink. When I first tried the chainring with the XTR link I informed OneUp that it didn't fit. They have since added that the chainring does not work with 12 spd XTR on their website. It's perfect with the Eagle link.
    For more info check out the larger 12 spd XTR thread over in Drivetrains.

mtbr member
    Digital Vernier caliper. Can you be more clear, did you successfully install a SRAM quicklink on an XTR12 chain and run it smoothly on a non-XTR12 narrow wide chainring?

The info you provide might help others if it's definitive.
    Yes it works great....

was fast
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by andynunn View Post
    The inner link pin diameter is the same. The width was .001" wider for the inner link on the Eagle chain than on the XTR by my vernier calipers. This means the Eagle link fits just fine on the XTR chain as I and many others have been using..
    Very cool. Thanks for the details. I'll try that when my current ring wears out, which is usually pretty quick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12