mtbr member
    Mar 2012

*Rant* No Shimano XT 36T chainring.

This irks me because I have XT M8000 cranks and they only make the 36T chainring for XTR which makes it incompatible with my cranks.

Why in the world did they do this?

I could get the Wolf Tooth 36T and Shimano just lost another buy from a customer but I actually like shimanos teeth better than the narrow wide chainrings.

Come on Shimano!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    are the bolt circles different ? what makes it incompatible ?

I have the same annoyances, I'd run the Shimano cranks with a 22/32 setup, but I can't find a 32t ring for 2* in that BCD. So I'd have to run 22/30 which isn't perfect, so I don't run Shimano cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah XT M8000 and XTR M9000 have different BCD's.

I can understand but what I don't understand is that XT users don't have the option. So we have to go with a 3rd party.

Nothing wrong with that for most but I wanted to keep it all within Shimano. Just because I'm annoying like that

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I can't understand that - there is NO reason whatsoever that XTR and XT need different BCD's. That's just stupid. Especially since both are proprietary already !
    I remember when buying chainrings was easy. Its getting to be a nightmare now for 2*. OBviously for 1* any old chainring will do although as you say you wanted to stay Shimano.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It may very well be because they don't want to lose sales of their XTR line up. The differences are almost subtle in weight and performance. So mixing parts could effect sales.

Yeah, I hear ya it's frustrating but Shimano did lower their prices by 20% and their XT and SLX is getting more affordable.

mtbr member
    Shimano do this stuff across the range. My guess is that they don't want people putting cheap rings on the dearer cranks, which let's face it, we would do.

Often, even if the holes are the same, they'll alter the profile of the crank and ring edges so they still don't fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They make a 36T for M8000 XT cranks. The 2x11 is sold with 36-26 as one of the options. I have read that the 1x and 2x crank are identical which would lead one to conclude that you can purchase the 36T ring and mount it in a 1X setup.

I realize that it may not have the 1X tooth profile but if you have a clutch derailleur do you need the 1X tooth profile? Has anyone tried this with a 36?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The 36t ring is ramped.....which won't work for a 1x set up

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner View Post
    They make a 36T for M8000 XT cranks. The 2x11 is sold with 36-26 as one of the options. I have read that the 1x and 2x crank are identical which would lead one to conclude that you can purchase the 36T ring and mount it in a 1X setup.

I realize that it may not have the 1X tooth profile but if you have a clutch derailleur do you need the 1X tooth profile? Has anyone tried this with a 36?

Barely in control
    You should clarify you're making this post for 1X. I'm reading your complaint in the original post, then looking over at my 26-36 xt8000 crankset hanging on the wall, like wtf?

RAKC
    Welcome to new standards that are added and changed every year and riders keep jumping on the stuff, then get upset when the only options to get things the way they want is the reason these other companies exist. To fix the mistakes of the big brands.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    You should clarify you're making this post for 1X. I'm reading your complaint in the original post, then looking over at my 26-36 xt8000 crankset hanging on the wall, like wtf?
    Yeah, my bad haha 1x11 system.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Welcome to new standards that are added and changed every year and riders keep jumping on the stuff, then get upset when the only options to get things the way they want is the reason these other companies exist. To fix the mistakes of the big brands.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, glad other companies are stepping in like Wolftooth, Raceface and Oneup just to name a few.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Welcome to new standards that are added and changed every year...
    Yeah, I wouldn't get too cocky about your 1x11, 1x12 comin' this way...