What's your Scott Spark RC suspension setup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

What's your Scott Spark RC suspension setup

Hi, even though suspension setup is a personal thing, it really would be great to get a feel of what others are doing.
    Anyone care to play and share your setup?

Rider weight & height:
    Spark RC year, model & size:
    Front suspension pressure:
    Rear suspension pressure:
    Anything else that matters:

Hereís my current (still fine tuning):

Rider weight & height: 180cm, 86kg
    Spark RC year, model & size: 2018, Pro, large
    Front suspension pressure: 88 psi (Fox SC Performance Elite)
    Rear suspension pressure: 143 psi
    - 70mm stem
    - Small differences in pressure make a surprisingly large difference in feel. Definitely suggest a digital shock pump.

Cheers :-)
    Last edited by AsiKati; 05-12-2018 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Was just looking for a thread like this! Havenít dialed anything in yet due to weather but starting to play with the setup. Was at 135psi rear and never felt it bottom out but sitting too far down in sag and causing a lot of pedal strikes. Going to try raising more than 140 soon.

Rider weight & height: 5í5Ē 170lbs (165cm 77kg)
    Spark RC year, model & size: 2018, Team, small
    Front suspension pressure: 82psi
    Rear suspension pressure: 140
    Anything else that matters:: stem 90mm -17deg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Guys i got a spark rc but the rear shock doesnít feel smooth at the begin of the travel. I tried it on pressure and without air but the first 1mm itís making a sound. Like it needs to kick in. The noise is there when it change direction.

Can someone check his spark if he has it too or not? Thanks

Video of the shock sound. https://youtu.be/YmE-COTMuig

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Have you ridden it yet? Iím thinking mine was doing something similar right out of the box but went away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Yes I rode it 4 rides of 1,5 hour and it didnít made that sound before. Itís there since the last ride

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just picked up a new 2018 Spark RC Team.

Rider weight & height: 180cm, 81kg.
    Spark RC year, model & size: 2018, Team, medium
    Front suspension pressure: 100 psi (Fox SC Performance Elite)- still playing w air pressure
    Rear suspension pressure: 160psi
    Anything else that matters:: 70mm stem

Did anyoneís Spark come setup tubeless or with the Syncro Matchbox waterbottle/tool cage from the factory? I ask because some of the reviews indicated it came from the factory that way. Mine did not. On that note, the tubes were the light weight version (155gms each) and setting up the Aspens on the Syncro XR2.5 rims w a floor pump w EASY. I also had a Topeka Ninja w tool kit that I installed and that fit just fine. I wish the frame had a lower bottle mount cage for those extended rides.

I like to run my shock pressure a little on the firmer side but even with the fork pressure over the recommended psi it seems to have more movement than iíd like when in full lockout mode. In comparison, the Spark Comp w the Fox Rthym had a firmer platform when it was in full lock out mode and so did the SC Blur w the remote lockout but same Fox SC 32 fork. Are you guys w the Fox 32 SC getting a solid lockout when in full lockout mode? Iím thinking perhaps the remote cable needs to be adjusted to make sure its turning the lockout dial all the way. The rear Fox Nude shock has plenty of platform in lock out but is pretty plush in full open.

i havenít ridden it off-road yet so iíll reserve judgement on ride performance until I get some good mileage on her.

jasperGr- Mine does not get have that rear shock click/movement at least not yet.
    -2020 EVIL Chamois Hagar GRX
    -2021 Specialized Epic EVO Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

The click is gone... i got the same fork/shock but in locked out itís fully locked out. Semi is semi and open is fully open. But iím 184cm and 74kg and i got the same psi as you. 100 front and 160 rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperGr View Post
    The click is gone... i got the same fork/shock but in locked out itís fully locked out. Semi is semi and open is fully open. But iím 184cm and 74kg and i got the same psi as you. 100 front and 160 rear.

Thatís what I figured w the lock out. Iím disappointed my LBS didnít figure that out before I took possession of it. Iím sure Iíll drop the pressure down on the fork once I get the lockout sorted. I set the rear to 25% sag using the yellow sag clips the bike comes w.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Can I have some help on this please?

I'm very happy with my Spark, 76KG and 170psi is what I'm using for racing and riding which is the shock indicated at 25% sag, however I'm getter 60% travel only in Trail/Open mode. Lowering the pressure feels to soft and results in increased pedal strikes.

Because of the initial sensitivity its not an issue but I feel somehow that I'm getting 60mm travel not 100mm from my bike.

I'm setting the pressure / balancing +/- as instructed.

Whats wrong?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Lower your pressure and ride/pedal more in trail (mid) mode. Descent in open mode. Locked only on tarmac. 80% of the ride I pedal in trail. Only with technical descents I set it open.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks. Iíd picked that advice up already and rode it last night in Trail mode. Maybe im not expecting so much plushness/movement from my Spark.

Its possible thats caused by my previous bike - a 2014 Anthem - which barely felt like it was moving at all although it achieved full travel.

mtbr member
    Don't forget to add clicks of rebound. Count how many clicks you are from turning the knob counter-clockwise to where it stops. Also add in Low Speed Compression clicks if you have it on your fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    I just picked up a new 2018 Spark RC Team.

Rider weight & height: 180cm, 81kg.
    Spark RC year, model & size: 2018, Team, medium
    Front suspension pressure: 100 psi (Fox SC Performance Elite)- still playing w air pressure
    Rear suspension pressure: 160psi
    Anything else that matters:: 70mm stem

Did anyoneís Spark come setup tubeless or with the Syncro Matchbox waterbottle/tool cage from the factory? I ask because some of the reviews indicated it came from the factory that way. Mine did not. On that note, the tubes were the light weight version (155gms each) and setting up the Aspens on the Syncro XR2.5 rims w a floor pump w EASY. I also had a Topeka Ninja w tool kit that I installed and that fit just fine. I wish the frame had a lower bottle mount cage for those extended rides.

I like to run my shock pressure a little on the firmer side but even with the fork pressure over the recommended psi it seems to have more movement than iíd like when in full lockout mode. In comparison, the Spark Comp w the Fox Rthym had a firmer platform when it was in full lock out mode and so did the SC Blur w the remote lockout but same Fox SC 32 fork. Are you guys w the Fox 32 SC getting a solid lockout when in full lockout mode? Iím thinking perhaps the remote cable needs to be adjusted to make sure its turning the lockout dial all the way. The rear Fox Nude shock has plenty of platform in lock out but is pretty plush in full open.

i havenít ridden it off-road yet so iíll reserve judgement on ride performance until I get some good mileage on her.

jasperGr- Mine does not get have that rear shock click/movement at least not yet.
    Hi, i wanted to ask you about NINJA T MOUNTAIN fit at Spark Rc for my bike please? Dose it fits Ok ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is my info;
    Rider weight & height: 170lbs (loaded), 5' 8"
    Spark RC year, model & size: 2019, Spark RC WC, Medium
    Front suspension pressure: 105psi, rebound in the middle, 22% sag
    Rear suspension pressure: 210psi, rebound in the middle, 22% sag

I'd be curious to the others around my weight if they actually measured the amount of sag they are running. The ride is stiff and supportive at 22% sag. I may try and add a little more sag but right now, I have minimal bob (as felt) at 22% sag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
    Here is my info;
    Rider weight & height: 170lbs (loaded), 5' 8"
    Spark RC year, model & size: 2019, Spark RC WC, Medium
    Front suspension pressure: 105psi, rebound in the middle, 22% sag
    Rear suspension pressure: 210psi, rebound in the middle, 22% sag

I'd be curious to the others around my weight if they actually measured the amount of sag they are running. The ride is stiff and supportive at 22% sag. I may try and add a little more sag but right now, I have minimal bob (as felt) at 22% sag.
    2020 Spark RC Pro Medium
    5'7" 170pounds

I'm trying to figure out how everyone is running such low pressure. I've ridden the bike twice so far once at 200psi R and once at 170psi R. I think I need to end up running about 175-180ish. Riding along I have about 35-40% sag but in an attack position it's less I haven't measured just going by feel.

Fork I have 100psi but I think I'm going to drop it to 92-95 range.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    2020 Spark RC Pro Medium
    5'7" 170pounds

I'm trying to figure out how everyone is running such low pressure. I've ridden the bike twice so far once at 200psi R and once at 170psi R. I think I need to end up running about 175-180ish. Riding along I have about 35-40% sag but in an attack position it's less I haven't measured just going by feel.

Now that the bike's been on the market 3 years I think there's been different shocks. My 2017 RC SL came with a regular volume (+&-) Fox with one volume spacer I removed. I weigh 175-180 in riding gear and run 135-140psi.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    2020 Spark RC Pro Medium
    5'7" 170pounds

I have the same bike but in XL - I weigh 175 but @ 6' 2". My forks is at 105psi and the shock is at 230psi. That corresponds to 22% sag in the front and 24% in the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My setup was 70 and 130psi front/rear at 75kg, Fox setup

mtbr member
    I just dialed mine it to almost perfect.
    5'9 1/2 / 178lbs (M)
    Fork: 80 psi
    Shock: 205 psi

I ride in trail 80%, open 20%.

Sag is about 22% in the front; 30% in back (open mode)
    ďPeople fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    2019 Spark WC Nino
    I put one token in the fork and SID comes to life! 70 psi fork, 130 shock

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    2020 RC Pro XL
    6'2" ~185lbs

I have tried various setups and nothing is working for me.

SID Select plus - was running about 85psi no tokens. Close but still harsh. One day I noticed my fork was sticking at about 20% no matter how little weight was on it. Sent it in for service/warranty.

Fox Nude - I have tried various pressure from 185-250 psi. Right now I'm at 220psi, about 28% sag. I never use more than 50-60% travel. I checked and I can get full travel without air and cable loosened. I took the volume spacer out last night just to see if I can use more of the travel and get a slightly plusher ride. If not I guess I'm out a bike two months as my shop is behind two months due to influx of people biking.

I am honestly getting fed up with the bike. It feels like a rigid bike no matter the air/volume/rebound/cable tension. Either hits the bottom too fast or no travel is used.

Riding isn't fun anymore and my hands/arms/legs always hurt. The Geo is great, but my asr suspension always felt great and I rarely touched the suspension. Maybe once or twice a month to top off air. I sure miss that feeling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Scott Spark is a really good fs bike, you might need to let it check by your local bike store.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    2020 RC Pro XL
    6'2" ~185lbs

SID Select plus - was running about 85psi no tokens. Close but still harsh. One day I noticed my fork was sticking at about 20% no matter how little weight was on it. Sent it in for service/warranty.

Fox Nude - I have tried various pressure from 185-250 psi. Right now I'm at 220psi, about 28% sag. I never use more than 50-60% travel. I checked and I can get full travel without air and cable loosened. I took the volume spacer out last night just to see if I can use more of the travel and get a slightly plusher ride. If not I guess I'm out a bike two months as my shop is behind two months due to influx of people biking.

I am honestly getting fed up with the bike. It feels like a rigid bike no matter the air/volume/rebound/cable tension. Either hits the bottom too fast or no travel is used.

Riding isn't fun anymore and my hands/arms/legs always hurt. The Geo is great, but my asr suspension always felt great and I rarely touched the suspension. Maybe once or twice a month to top off air. I sure miss that feeling.
    Removing the spacer will help. Maybe your seat is too far back, causing more sag. Move it all the way forward and try 170psi. Does your shock say Evol on the air can? Can you get one that doesn't?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Removing the spacer will help. Maybe your seat is too far back, causing more sag. Move it all the way forward and try 170psi. Does your shock say Evol on the air can? Can you get one that doesn't?
    Seat is already forward.

I'm pretty sure fox doesn't make a non evol cans for post 2018 shocks. And a non lv can won't fit on the eyelet.

Getting all that changed is the same as a new shock, at which point I'd rather just get a new bike, considering the bb and crank warranty I have going, fork warranty, and other problems it's not worth it to dump more money into the bike to try and make it something it is obviously not.

mtbr member
    Everytime I ride I lower the back a little. I'm 180 and run the NUDE at 200psi right now. Go low. Also, the bike is DESIGNED to be ridden in trail mode 70% of the time; so sag at 30% is fine in open mode.

Removing the NUDE shock is dumb. The entire bike was designed around that specific shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0Msdi1bCQ

Watch this video.

Also, I've found disconnecting the front is the way to go. The 34 is stiff enough - you don't have to worry about locking it out all the time. I only lock it on gravel climbs. I run it at 75psi right now.
    ďPeople fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

bike rider
    The progressive shock rate on this bike is a good feature but too many models came with overly progressive shocks and those people have trouble using full travel and keeping sag under 30%. The shock that came on the 2017 RC SL is the holy grail for this frame (after removing its volume spacer).

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I ended up doing a 200 service on the front and rear. No oil in either. I also lost a bunch of weight.

Started at 95 PSI F/180 PSI R for 20%/29% SAG. Felt way better than before. I then removed the spacer from the shock. After another couple weeks I decided to see where it was at and I ended up at 85 PSI F/ 165 PSI rear for 22%/30% SAG.

The rear end feels the best it ever has. The bonus is I use all the travel too. I cannot believe losing weight and running a 20 PSI - 40 PSI less makes such a difference. I didn't change seat position, cockpit or anything else and have been measuring the sag the same way, standing in attack position.

There are a few quirks I haven't worked out yet. The rebound is too fast in traction mode but too slow in open mode. Also, the rear end blows through the travel like no other. This is especially frustrating on techy climbs (yes, I'm in traction mode. Doesn't make a difference). I may end up installing the spacer and forgo using all the travel in favor of a better feeling ride (I wasn't looking to use all the travel I was just tired off the shock getting packed up at 50% then getting bucked around).

I don't think I'll ever love the fork. The stock tune is meh. It dives too easy or otherwise is too harsh. The 100mm doesn't last long through rough sections of trail, and I ride aggressive enough that I use the 100mm pretty quick. It's fine for racing, but I might see if I can find a takeoff fox 34 from a Spark or get the SID ultimate (since fox went to the PTU and it's unclear if I can get a PTL remote on 2020 or later models).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    2020 RC Pro XL
    6'2" ~185lbs

I noticed the 2020 SID fork runs a bit firmer than the recommended pressure. I dropped the fork pressure by 10psi and slowed down the rebound 4 more clicks. When I got it, it was so harsh that my wrist were killing me. That made a huge difference. I just got some tokens and Iím going to run the front another 5 psi lower (15psi lower that recommend) and try 1 or 2 tokens. I want smooth initial bump handling but I donít want to bottom out on 3-4 ft drops. So that will put my front at 120psi w/ 25-30% sag.
    I also noticed the rear was too stiff and I dropped the psi to get 30% sag and checked the rebound and found it to be too slow. I didnít notice the rebound difference between open and traction mode. Iíll pay more attention to see if I can a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    I noticed the 2020 SID fork runs a bit firmer than the recommended pressure. I dropped the fork pressure by 10psi and slowed down the rebound 4 more clicks. When I got it, it was so harsh that my wrist were killing me. That made a huge difference. I just got some tokens and Iím going to run the front another 5 psi lower (15psi lower that recommend) and try 1 or 2 tokens. I want smooth initial bump handling but I donít want to bottom out on 3-4 ft drops. So that will put my front at 120psi w/ 25-30% sag.
    I also noticed the rear was too stiff and I dropped the psi to get 30% sag and checked the rebound and found it to be too slow. I didnít notice the rebound difference between open and traction mode. Iíll pay more attention to see if I can a difference.

I feel the rear rebound being a little too fast in the deeper half of the travel while in "traction" mode. That's to be expected though if you have it feeling perfect in full travel mode.

I removed the shock volume spacer and run 25% rear sag, occassionally using full travel.

I don't think you want to add fork tokens if you're already running 25-30% sag. Most people run much less.

mtbr member
    I feel the rear rebound being a little too fast in the deeper half of the travel while in "traction" mode. That's to be expected though if you have it feeling perfect in full travel mode.

I removed the shock volume spacer and run 25% rear sag, occassionally using full travel.

I don't think you want to add fork tokens if you're already running 25-30% sag. Most people run much less.
    Iím currently running 20-25% sag in the front fork and itís slow speed dampening is harsh and Iíve used 100% of the travel. Iím going for 30% sag to soften the initial dampening and add a token so I donít bottom out even more. Making it more progressive would help that right?

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    Iím currently running 20-25% sag in the front fork and itís slow speed dampening is harsh and Iíve used 100% of the travel. Iím going for 30% sag to soften the initial dampening and add a token so I donít bottom out even more. Making it more progressive would help that right?

I always start suspension tuning with spring rate and spring rate curve, then set damping. I never set forks with more than 15% sag, usually 10%, and never more than 1 token. I think you should start by removing all fork tokens, backing off LSC, and finding an air pressure that gets you a cm or so of sag, then see how much travel you use. Add LSC as you need for support, though if you've been riding with 25% fork sag support is probably not a trait you value so keeping LSC minimal will increase plushness. Could be that your fork, being aimed at XC, has fairly firm LSC regardless of clicker setting and if you want it plusher an internal re-tune is in order. I've been very happy with the adjustment range of my 1st gen 32sc.

It also occurs to me that the harshness you feel may not be due to LSC but is because you're riding so deep in the travel with so much sag. You have very little available travel to soak up impacts and the spring rate is ramping up quickly. Also, your headtube is steeper and more weight is on your front end and hands. I know you can still find people and even manufacturers suggesting so much fork sag but you'll never find it on a fast rider's bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I always start suspension tuning with spring rate and spring rate curve, then set damping. I never set forks with more than 15% sag, usually 10%, and never more than 1 token. I think you should start by removing all fork tokens, backing off LSC, and finding an air pressure that gets you a cm or so of sag, then see how much travel you use. Add LSC as you need for support, though if you've been riding with 25% fork sag support is probably not a trait you value so keeping LSC minimal will increase plushness. Could be that your fork, being aimed at XC, has fairly firm LSC regardless of clicker setting and if you want it plusher an internal re-tune is in order. I've been very happy with the adjustment range of my 1st gen 32sc.

It also occurs to me that the harshness you feel may not be due to LSC but is because you're riding so deep in the travel with so much sag. You have very little available travel to soak up impacts and the spring rate is ramping up quickly. Also, your headtube is steeper and more weight is on your front end and hands. I know you can still find people and even manufacturers suggesting so much fork sag but you'll never find it on a fast rider's bike.
    This makes sense. My 2018 has a 40mm stroke shock. So at 30% sag thats leaving 24mm of travel to play with and is already sitting high up the progression curve. I've reposted because I softened my suspension (or so I thought) using 30% sag as a guide, did a 6hr Rooty, rutted ride on Sunday and the bike beat my back to pieces. Its a conundrum I'm trying to work out as I though perhaps I had too much rebound damping 4 clicks back from full) and it was packing down. But, this could be the other answer. I'm off this Sunday for a test ride so I'll start at 30% and back off the rebound to see if it springs back faster, then try resetting it to 25% and see what happens.
    Last edited by Kryton57; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:49 AM.