mtbr member

What would pay for a New 2016 Spark 950?

My LBS has a 2016 Spark 950 for sale that has never been ridden outside the parking lot...until yesterday.

I took it out on our regular Sunday ride and really had fun with it. I have never ridden full-suspension before (20+ years on a hardtail) so I rode pretty cautiously only because I didn't want to ding up a bike that wasn't mine. It was all very new to me.

We talked about some deficiencies the bike has compared to my current bike and he said he would do better than the already discounted price (about 12% off original price) and offered to "work a dropper into the equation" as an option.

What do you think is an appropriate discount for a cash payment on a 3 year-old but unused bike?
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well---I think you can get 10% off a 2018 easily regardless of brand this time of year----I mean any racer discount from a local club in my NORCAL area is above that. Look at the emerging Santa Cruz closeouts----20% or so

I'd say for a 2016 you offer 40% off--and honestly with their offer I'd look for a more realistic place to buy from----that bike will be hard to sell even at a big discount---they are stuck with it so do not be shy as you may be the only potential sell forever

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I would save the money and buy a Spark from 2017 and up.
    The geo is way more modern from 2017 when it got a totally new frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLVR View Post
    I would save the money and buy a Spark from 2017 and up.
    The geo is way more modern from 2017 when it got a totally new frame.
    I would agree here, the modern geo from the 2017 Spark refresh is significant. To even consider a 2016 negotiations would start at 30-40% off with some included extras. This time of year basically every LBS is offering 15-20% off 2018 models to make room for 2019 bikes. Unless you’re just in love with that 2016 I’d look elsewhere, because you’re not getting any awesome deal for the 2016.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | “If you’re not first you’re last”

mtbr member
    I spoke with the owner last night and he threw in a 150MM Race Face Turbine R post and lever, a DHF DD 3C MaxTerra. Labor included to set up the tire tubeless (including stems, tape, sealant) and labor to install the dropper. That's about $450 worth of parts alone.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It feels you are arguing yourself into this------which is fine but I feel you would be better served with a newer model----not just geo but suspension has really improved since 2016--I would suggest thinking longer term which may lead to a newer bike.

If so I still bet you are way high on the best price---I would offer 40% off and let him think on it for a week or so----if he does not waver then decide---my local dealer had a santa cruz HT from 2016 that he offered me for 30% off a year ago and honestly the old bikes are tough to sell once the new one is upgraded---especially this time of year when new 2018 models are often 20% off

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Remember that the dropper post you get "for free" is standard on 2017+ Spark.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLVR View Post
    Remember that the dropper post you get "for free" is standard on 2017+ Spark.
    Understood...if it were an option. The shop I have a relationship with has no 2017s and any 2018 leftovers of any brand they carry are Medium sized frames.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    I decided to pull the trigger. The owner knocked off a couple more bucks and it came in just over 30% off when you figure in all the additional components. I talked to one of the young mechanics at the shop, who I've ridden with on occasion and who has been a trusted source of information about parts and accessories over the years, and he was really fired up for me. It's my first full suspension bike and a major upgrade from my current bike.

I appreciate the advice!
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    go ride and have a great time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    go ride and have a great time
    will do!
    AreBee