Spark vs Spark RC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Spark vs Spark RC

So I'm a typical lycra clad roadie and hardtail MTB rider. Mainly race road but do a couple MTB races a year. I'm looking for a FS bike and I really like the Sparks. I live in Oregon so nothing is crazy as far as trails go.

I demoed a Spark 900 this weekend and had a great time. Was able to get in about 6 hours of riding and about 7000ft of climbing. I did some downhills I wouldn't do with my hardtail and used a dropper for the first time. I had a blast. Downhill was fun but the bike felt slow other places. Granted 2.35 Forekaster tires may not be the fastest rolling tires but gradual climbing was slow. The slack head angle also seemed to make it harder for me to make in turn adjustments in techy spots. Anyway, I wanted to try the bike because I haven't been on a bike like this before.

Want I think I want is the Spark RC but I wont be able to demo that bike. I know there is less travel and a steeper head angle but can I assume that an open suspension on the RC will be smooth and fun. Yes I want to jam and go fast but having that smooth suspension was nice at times.

Anyone have experience with both the Spark and the Spark RC? Thoughts?

Thanks for putting up with a lame question.

The Spark
    Last edited by AndySTi; 02-06-2018 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Hey Andy I was with that dilemma too. I own the Spark 900RC. And the reason I decided to go with RC is because I race in XC courses and Marathons. Honestly with 100mm travel is enough, not as fun as 120 or more but enough. RC is intended for race so it's going to be lighter and lower. If speed is your thing then you should definetly go with RC but if you prefer to enjoy your ride, have fun on descents then go with Spark. Hope that helps.

Gud luck!

Marcechan

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for your input, Marechan! Was at the shop last night and the Scott rep was there. We were talking about which bike for me and he also recommended the RC. Put an order in for an RC Pro. Hopefully be here in April.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySTi View Post
    Thanks for your input, Marechan! Was at the shop last night and the Scott rep was there. We were talking about which bike for me and he also recommended the RC. Put an order in for an RC Pro. Hopefully be here in April.
    Congratulations, you will love it!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

XC racer
    May 2005
    My glory days are behind me but I still think of myself as “racerboi” so RC it was for me. Takes the edge off, I don’t need any more travel.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    My glory days are behind me but I still think of myself as “racerboi” so RC it was for me. Takes the edge off, I don’t need any more travel.
    RC works for me too. A lot of my buddies keep going bigger and bigger on the travel... 120mm is about the max I need for ~95% of what I ride and that's what I'm running.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I am considering the Spark RC 900 Comp over the regular Spark & SC Tallboy3. I called my bike shop to ask and emailed Scott directly. though I have not heard anything from Scott, my LBS assures me the 900 Comp has a 110mm travel fork vs all others having a 100mm fork. That is odd but it is also the only one that has a Fox 32 Rhythm fork all others have performance versions and the contessa has a Rockshox SID.
    Anyone else notice that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I just purchased the reg. spark and yes wish I would have gotten the rc. as I would like to do some marathon races.. however when I get on my Scale RC I seem to just flick it around..lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks for asking this question. I came here wondering the same thing. I'd kind of like a little extra travel and maybe a dropper post, but really don't think I'd like the slacker angle as much. Am definitely leaning towards the RC.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    put a dropper on it and run a little wider tire, the RC becomes a very capable bike. Not saying it isn't already but with that setup you can ride it almost anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Interesting thread. I currently have an evil following mb. I'd like to start doing some local xc races. Nothing too serious. Also need the bike to double as my every day trail bike. Trying to decide between the spark and spark RC. Also does anyone know if you can fit a 27.5 plus the in the 900?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Do any of you guys know the weight difference of the standard spark 900 frameset versus the 900 RC, without the fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    About 100g between Spark 900 RC (HMX) and Spark 900 (HMX)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I should have clarified, I was trying to compare the spark 900 RC to the standard spark 900 with the alloy rear triangle, I do not believe that is the hmx carbon??? Can anybody clarify that?

mtbr member
    I thought the spark was 130/130 but seeing its a 120/120 with a 34sc im liking it. Could be an awesome high country bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So guys, Scott Sparks are fragile bikes, beware.

Lets get a couple things out of the way....

1. I was first told i should be riding a large - my initial purchase was a Scott Spark RC 900 Pro in large
    2. This frame was too small, I'm almost 6'2 - 198lbs
    3. I brought it back to change for an XL frame, there were none left
    4. I was told i would need to dish out an additional 2500 + tax to get an XL Spark SL
    5. At this point, i had spent about $11,500CAD on the bike to get the size that fits me properly, This took 2 months to achieve. Eek.

Finally, my SL arrived, and it was beautiful, and damn fast!!!

I had a miniature crash. I didn't even hit the dirt, and held on to my bike. After which, i noticed what looked like a crack on my top tube. I don't recall it ever being impacted in the crash...

Earlier in the ride, i rode down a valley, with a G-OUT at the bottom, where i heard a slap sound. Figured my fork bottomed out, but it hadn't... This is relevant later in the story.

I emailed my bike shop, they thought the frame was cracked - ouch! I had taken this bike on its very first ride! We sent the images to Scott's warranty department, where they identified the damage as simply a surface scratch, which they see a lot of, when the frame comes in contact with the cleats on your biking shoes. "Go ahead and ride the bike, its safe 100%" So i did!

2nd ride in, and on the same g-out i heard the same "SLAP" sound. Again thought it was my fork, but nope, and not the shock. IT WAS THE FRAME CRACKING!

I sent the bike back to the shop and explained exactly what had happened. They fired the email and shots back to Scott and instantly Scott warranty flip flopped and said the frame is cracked due to impact and will not fulfil a warranty claim, instead i need purchase a replacement frame at a cost of $2000.

To be honest, i think these frames are flimsy, Ive been riding and racing for 20+ years, and have NEVER cracked a frame. For this frame to fail on me, after one ride is appalling. Im no Nino Schurter. I can't afford a new frame after every ride. Lightweight for your racers is fine, but build something durable for the everyday rider, who's not sponsored and can't afford to drop thousands after an afternoon ride.

Ive crashed other bikes, WAY HARDER, and ZERO damage. I have a HardTail Cannondale FS-I, weighs less than my spark, and i can ride that thing way harder. No damage, no issues.

Scott, first and last time i buy one of your bikes. My bike shop, however, has been amazing - even covering some costs. Kudos to them, bad form on Scott's customer service, and warranty department. They also keep deleting my posts, on Instagram - they take no responsibility.

Thoughts anyone?

psycho cyclo addict
    Hmm not sure what to say other than maybe the older ones are more durable?

That's a lot of ducketts for a bike frame and build regardless

I'm the same height/weight and haven't had any issues. Got a 2014 Spark 930 that has bashed many rocks, roots, etc. and been hucked off of stuff in the woods, on urban assault rides, ..., pummeled down staircases, you name it and no issues at all.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejk78 View Post
    I'd agree and that's kind of why I ride Scotts but sell Ibis and Santa Cruz. Scotts are very light for their travel and the shock design is awesome for my riding. However, I've seen a fair number crack from hard riding (I've cracked a couple), the fork remote has to go, and the shock remote has to be used correctly to be better than the alternatives. Scotts are great for weight weenies, tinkerers, and precise riders. Santa Cruz and Ibis are the everymans' bikes that work right out of the box, don't require thinking about what setting the suspension is in, and can take a beating.
    Know yourself and pick the correct tool.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Agreed. Scotts warranty is not a warranty, they just look for excuses not to cover their gear.
    Ive ridden Scott RC 900 SL 2018 for 2 years. Hit a rock with the pedal and cracked rear triangle. No warranty. They said its not covered.
    They demoed me a spark 920. Super fun, dropper post (super fun), but way slower when trail turns flat or uphill.
    If your ok with self replacing the frame, its a breat bike.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by chadleblanc View Post
    Agreed. Scotts warranty is not a warranty, they just look for excuses not to cover their gear.
    Ive ridden Scott RC 900 SL 2018 for 2 years. Hit a rock with the pedal and cracked rear triangle. No warranty. They said its not covered.
    They demoed me a spark 920. Super fun, dropper post (super fun), but way slower when trail turns flat or uphill.
    If your ok with self replacing the frame, its a breat bike.
    The cracks I suffered (Genius LT gen 1, front triangle and swing link) were warrantied but there was no sign of impact. They could tell the cracks formed from general riding stress.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ditto. Scott's warranty is worthless but the Spark RC 900 SL is light and fast. Just don't break it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Spark RC SL

There is a reason Nino doesn't ride the SL.... that would look bad on Redbull TV!

Quote Originally Posted by mikejk78 View Post

Lets get a couple things out of the way....

1. I was first told i should be riding a large - my initial purchase was a Scott Spark RC 900 Pro in large
    2. This frame was too small, I'm almost 6'2 - 198lbs
    3. I brought it back to change for an XL frame, there were none left
    4. I was told i would need to dish out an additional 2500 + tax to get an XL Spark SL
    5. At this point, i had spent about $11,500CAD on the bike to get the size that fits me properly, This took 2 months to achieve. Eek.

Finally, my SL arrived, and it was beautiful, and damn fast!!!

I had a miniature crash. I didn't even hit the dirt, and held on to my bike. After which, i noticed what looked like a crack on my top tube. I don't recall it ever being impacted in the crash...

Earlier in the ride, i rode down a valley, with a G-OUT at the bottom, where i heard a slap sound. Figured my fork bottomed out, but it hadn't... This is relevant later in the story.

I emailed my bike shop, they thought the frame was cracked - ouch! I had taken this bike on its very first ride! We sent the images to Scott's warranty department, where they identified the damage as simply a surface scratch, which they see a lot of, when the frame comes in contact with the cleats on your biking shoes. "Go ahead and ride the bike, its safe 100%" So i did!

2nd ride in, and on the same g-out i heard the same "SLAP" sound. Again thought it was my fork, but nope, and not the shock. IT WAS THE FRAME CRACKING!

I sent the bike back to the shop and explained exactly what had happened. They fired the email and shots back to Scott and instantly Scott warranty flip flopped and said the frame is cracked due to impact and will not fulfil a warranty claim, instead i need purchase a replacement frame at a cost of $2000.

To be honest, i think these frames are flimsy, Ive been riding and racing for 20+ years, and have NEVER cracked a frame. For this frame to fail on me, after one ride is appalling. Im no Nino Schurter. I can't afford a new frame after every ride. Lightweight for your racers is fine, but build something durable for the everyday rider, who's not sponsored and can't afford to drop thousands after an afternoon ride.

Ive crashed other bikes, WAY HARDER, and ZERO damage. I have a HardTail Cannondale FS-I, weighs less than my spark, and i can ride that thing way harder. No damage, no issues.

Scott, first and last time i buy one of your bikes. My bike shop, however, has been amazing - even covering some costs. Kudos to them, bad form on Scott's customer service, and warranty department. They also keep deleting my posts, on Instagram - they take no responsibility.

Thoughts anyone?