Pump Pump Pump Pump POP!!!!!!- Mtbr.com

Nov 2007

Pump Pump Pump Pump POP!!!!!!

I just recieved a scott equalizer pump from my LBS for my Ransom 40 and so I decided to try it out Pumped up the positive air chamber to 400 and then tried the negative . The instant I hit forty the pump explodes in a violent popping noise ripping the rubber seals connecting the valve to the shock pump . Next day I take it to my LBS to check the bike over for damage . They say its ok and I requested the technician to reset my shock's psi so he goes a pumping on the store's scott shock pump until .. POP!!!!!! He was very very bemused and got down to ordering another scott pump advising me to not touch the thing (both the pump and the equalizer) until my bike's next service (6 weeks)
    Does anyone know how to use this thing short of destroying another pump? My Ransom has now got the dubious reputation of the only MTB that has killed 2 pumps in 2 hours

mtbr member
    May 2011
    my pump is death too

banned
    Apr 2010
    there has to be something wrong in the negative chamber. is the lock out on the handlebars for the rear shock set to all the way open? or full travel mode.

besides breaking the negative nipple off i have had decent luck with the scott pump.. I have had the ransom and pump since 2007

bike rider
    400psi?! Not surprising that it blew up rubber parts.
    Is that pressure recommended? Do you weigh a lot? The Equalizer 3 on my Genius LT only has recommendations for a rider up to 220lbs (334psi+, 232psi-). I've always suggested that riders over 200lbs use coil suspension.
    Keep the Country country.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    400psi?! Not surprising that it blew up rubber parts.
    Is that pressure recommended? Do you weigh a lot? The Equalizer 3 on my Genius LT only has recommendations for a rider up to 220lbs (334psi+, 232psi-). I've always suggested that riders over 200lbs use coil suspension.
    I know it sounds crazy, but on the Ransom's Equalizer shock 400psi isn't out of line for someone around 200lbs. That's why they supplied a shock pump that can create 600psi with the Ransom... problem is I don't think they did a good enough job of the hoses on that pump so they have a bad habit of going boom.

Members who have read this thread: 2