Coil on Ransom?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Coil on Ransom?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Coil on Ransom?

Wondering if anyone has tried this or had found a coil shock that will fit. Posting in new thread so as not to highjack the current Ransom thread with some valuable info in it.
    Canfield Nimble 9/Canfield Balance

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    Wondering if anyone has tried this or had found a coil shock that will fit. Posting in new thread so as not to highjack the current Ransom thread with some valuable info in it.
    A Push coil with a trail and DH setting would be so good on the Ransom!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Hi,

First post on site. I have an XL ransom 910. I have a metric trunnion fox DHX2 with it setup 205*65 and currently using a 450lb spring for 198lb rider. I did like the standard shock but had a coil on my last bike. The bike has supple suspension for small bumps but also takes big hits without blowing through the travel. With AXS and getting ride of the twinlock the setup is much neater and I only have to worry about moving gears and the dropper. I do not have a lockout lever on the DHX2 but don't feel I need it. Standard ride in Wollongong Australia usually involves between 600- 1200m of climbing. Minimal bob.

Overall very pleased with the Ransom. Last bike was a Giant Reign with a coil. Loved the bike but like the Ransom more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coil on Ransom?-img_1129.jpg  

Coil on Ransom?-img_1128-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ransomstu View Post
    Hi,

First post on site. I have an XL ransom 910. I have a metric trunnion fox DHX2 with it setup 205*65 and currently using a 450lb spring for 198lb rider. I did like the standard shock but had a coil on my last bike. The bike has supple suspension for small bumps but also takes big hits without blowing through the travel. With AXS and getting ride of the twinlock the setup is much neater and I only have to worry about moving gears and the dropper. I do not have a lockout lever on the DHX2 but don't feel I need it. Standard ride in Wollongong Australia usually involves between 600- 1200m of climbing. Minimal bob.

Overall very pleased with the Ransom. Last bike was a Giant Reign with a coil. Loved the bike but like the Ransom more.
    That’s awesome! I’ve been really happy with the stock rear shock but that thing must be a monster now! How does it compare to the original?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Marzocchi Bomber CR also comes in a 205*65 trunion mount.
    While this is a lower end shock without all the fancy adjustments, its the recommended coil shock for tuning by Avalanche racing due to its shaft size and robust internals. I have talked with Craig about tuning this for the Ransom and sent him the leverage curve of the bike. He agrees a coil should work although he thinks it will need one of his more sophisticated progressive bump stops as the leverage curve is pretty linear.

RansomStu are you happy with the mid-stroke support of the coil ? I actually find the stock shock just a bit too compliant and wish I could dial in a little more low speed compression and add "a token" to it. That's my primary concern with putting a coil on it is that without good shock tuning it might be a bit wallowy in the mid stroke. I also do a lot of big epic backcountry climbing days so I like a bit of support.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I find the coil works very well for the Ransom. The DHX2 seems to have excellent support when climbing and descending with the fox recommended settings. You could use a progressive spring if this was a concern. I have found the standard linear spring is excellent. It was a custom setup of a fox metric shock, but not specifically tuned to the ransom. It is definitely not wallowy with standard tuning suggestions and with the DHX2 you can add more low speed compression. Also, you can increase the high speed compression if you are blowing through the travel. I have not had either of these issues. I did try a 425 spring and did find this too soft for 198lb.

If you are constantly tinkering the downside is that standard tools will not work without taking the shock out to adjust the compression settings. I have considered making a shorter Allen key to fix this, but have not tried it.

I am not an engineer, but the feel of the leverage curve seems to have a progressive nature and with a 30% sag, I am not having problems with hard bottom outs whilst jumping or descending downhill tracks. Anecdotally, I found with the standard shock, I was using much lower pressures to achieve full travel than my Reign, which used the same size air shock. This suggests some progression.

I think the main benefit of the coil is that once you find the right spring rate you can almost set and forget and just ride the bike. No more worrying about spacers, air pressure, altitude and air seals.

Is it better than the standard shock? It is heavier, but I think for the reasons above better.
    I think it removes a lot of variables and lets you just concentrate on riding. The traction and simplicity once set up are significant benefits.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Öhlins TTX22M on my tuned 900 large

Coil on Ransom?-img_5331.jpg

TTX22M Öhlins specifically made for the Ransom from the Italian distributor. Tuned in for my weight and riding style. 5 minutes job to change the shock and enter a different world of riding.
    Weight penalty is just 300g. It climbs like heaven and says high in its travel. Very composed feel going down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5331.jpg 
Views:	866 
Size:	399.3 KB 
ID:	1265603

TTX22M Öhlins specifically made for the Ransom from the Italian distributor. Tuned in for my weight and riding style. 5 minutes job to change the shock and enter a different world of riding.
    Weight penalty is just 300g. It climbs like heaven and says high in its travel. Very composed feel going down.
    Hi! do you know if the "standard" TTX22M coil is compatible w/ the ramsom?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This ölins ttx has a special head so the controls are all accessible. Stardard dial would be covered. Whether they have added extra progression I cannot tell. Air has more end progression but mine had great progression and mid stroke support

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muggel View Post
    This ölins ttx has a special head so the controls are all accessible. Stardard dial would be covered. Whether they have added extra progression I cannot tell. Air has more end progression but mine had great progression and mid stroke support
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    leverage ratio is not optimal for coil according to most suspension companies. Doesn't mean it won't work but an air shock will work better.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    leverage ratio is not optimal for coil according to most suspension companies. Doesn't mean it won't work but an air shock will work better.
    If you call Craig at Avalanche, he has a solid work around. He completely retunes the Marzocchi Bomber CR. I have upgraded bumper, spring, and the internals are reworked. It works great! I could not tune out blowing through all of the travel without either being in the "traction mode" or airing up the shock and loosing some of the magic that the Nude shock offered. But........as you know.....nothing is normal for my size, but the Avy tuned Coil gives me all of what I was looking for.
    Canfield Nimble 9/Canfield Balance

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes Craig will set you up right. I actually measured the leverage ratio and came up with the following (note first measurement is in inches)

Anyway here is the leverage curve as I measured it (missing the last 5mm of travel)
    (all measurements in inches and I dont know why the forum removed all my spaces)
    Note this is a direct measurment, lifting the rear wheel off the ground and measure the actual shock eye distance. I performed this 3 times so measurements are pretty exact although eye to eye was with a tape measure so hard to be more accurate than 1/16".

Wheel travel, shock travel, Leverage ratio
    0 0
    0.5 .156 3.2
    1 .156 3.2
    1.5 .156 3.2
    2 .188 2.7
    2.5 .188 2.7
    3 .188 2.7
    3.5 .188 2.7
    4. .188 2.7
    4.5 .188 2.7
    5 .188 2.7
    5.5 .25 2
    6 .219 2.23
    6.5 .188 2.7

Fairly linear with a little progression then regression at the very end.

mtbr member
    So I take it all back... I got a chance to ride a Ransom today with a modified frame and a stock Fox DHX2. Plenty of mid stroke support! I'm still a little torn on the idea with the Ransom being so light with an air shock though... I kind of don't want to ruin that.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Mod frame? that sound interesting

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by javigutz View Post
    Mod frame? that sound interesting
    to keep the climb switch I believe he enlarged the hole with the rubber gromet at the top of the bottom bracket. Didn't look like it needed a lot but in stock form I think it would have rubbed enough when flexing that it could have been an issue. I doubt making that hole a hair bigger is an issue.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any other reports from folks running coil shocks on their ransoms?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin_Ben View Post
    Any other reports from folks running coil shocks on their ransoms?
    I've been running an EXT Storia Lok V3 on mine all season. IMO it should come with a factory coil option.

Also running mullet wheels in the high setting. The bike is perfect.
    Denver, CO