mtbr member

2019 Scott Ransom

It seems like this bike is really flying under the radar... Clearance for 2.6" tires, 170mm travel front and rear, remote lockout (twinlock), 29lbs for the Tuned 900.... $7500 and there is literally nothing I would change on it aside from maybe dropping in a grip2 damper. This bike seems like it deserves a lot more hype.

I'm going to try and throw a leg over one tomorrow, my biggest point of confusion is whether I think a large or XL would be better at 6' 1/2" and nearly a 36" cycling inseam. I've always ridden a large but it seems with the new crop of bikes I can go either way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cause the shock maybe? Arenít you locked in to an inline design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    For your type of riding the extra wheelbase of the XL is the way to go IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    It seems like this bike is really flying under the radar... Clearance for 2.6" tires, 170mm travel front and rear, remote lockout (twinlock), 29lbs for the Tuned 900.... $7500 and there is literally nothing I would change on it aside from maybe dropping in a grip2 damper. This bike seems like it deserves a lot more hype.

I'm going to try and throw a leg over one tomorrow, my biggest point of confusion is whether I think a large or XL would be better at 6' 1/2" and nearly a 36" cycling inseam. I've always ridden a large but it seems with the new crop of bikes I can go either way.
    Ha! We seem to be looking at the same bikes a lot lately. My buddy just got an XL Ransom and loves it. He's 6'2". I'm a hair under 6'1" and the L looks a little short to me. If I go the Ransom route I think I'll do the XL with a 35mm stem which should make the reach just about perfect. Might also be able to just fit a 170mm dropper slammed to the collar.

I would also change out the damper to the Grip2. That thing is really nice. I'm also surprised the Ransom has flown under the radar. The reviews on it are glowing and I've heard from a couple people that prefer it over the SB150. For where I ride (long grind climbs and lond sustained descents, the twinloc makes a lot of sense. 120mm bike going up and a monster truck with 170mm bombing on the way down!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post

Not locked into anything. Just the cost of replacing stock shocks. But if you read the reviews they really nailed the tune on the rear shock. And while it doesn't have a piggy back, the size of it is pretty substantial. Its about the same size as an X2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post

I was worried about this initially but after looking at one in person I don't think it will be an issue. With the adjustable ramp up I think it will end up being pretty sweet and the twinlock will solve the issues I complained about on my 2017 Enduro- pedal bob while sprinting.

I got a chance to ride a large 910 in a parking lot a couple weeks back. Not a good indicator of sizing but I think an XL should be fine. I'll find out tomorrow hopefully.

mtbr member

Smile

I have owned a lot of bikes and the Ransom has been my favorite 29er to date and I usually do not pick overall favorite bikes. This bike friggin rocks IMO.

I dropped in a Grip 2 damper and completely removed the twin lock. Im sure it works on the rear but honestly it pedals so nice at 25-30% sag that I have no use for it on my trails. The bike climbs great "feels like a 150mm", it's agile, has tons of traction and has a very smooth, predictable and controlled demeanor in the rough. With everything I have thrown at it so far it has exceeded my expectations. They nailed the tune on the new rear shock and it takes very little effort to dial in. My build came in at 28 lbs, exactly the same weight as my Yeti SB130.

I had a 2018 genius and really liked the bike but felt it had a few areas that could be improved. It's like Scott read my mind, fixed all my nit pick issues and built the Ransom. I love this bike so much all my other bikes went up for sale. Along with how great it rides the cable routing is great, its super quiet, it's sexy, everything is super high quality and I can run up to a 2.6 tire in the rear no problem. I can honestly go on and on about how much I like this bike but you get the picture.

2019 Scott Ransom-img_7955.jpg

mtbr member
    I was hoping you would reply, good to hear!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I know they said a coil shock would fit but does anyone know what the leverage ratio is like ?

Not that I'm talking about replacing the shock on a bike I don't own and have never ridden, but would like to, I'm just curious if its a viable option.

Sure would like to demo one of these. But no stocking dealers in the PNW that I can find. Its not like we have a ton of mountain biking here or anything.

mtbr member
    Built mine up this evening, first ride tomorrow! So far super psyched! Can't believe this thing is 1.5lbs lighter than my SB150 was and it's an XL vs the L in Yeti and has 20mm more travel. Total weight with flat pedals, size XL, DHF 2.5's front and rear, Cushcore in back, and Stans Flow MK3's is 31.11lbs It's also lighter than the XL Ibis Ripmo and the L Mondraker Foxy 29.

The twinlock is LEGIT as well. "Traction control" sprints like a much shorter travel bike! Excited to mess with the ramp control tomorrow as well. The combo bar/stem looks sick and appears to be much more like a 35mm reach stem than a 50mm. At 6' with a 33" inseam I have the 150 Fox Factory Transfer dropper completely slammed but an XL feels perfect. I believe it has 175mm cranks as well.

I'll probably order some carbon wheels soon and it should be near 30lb even, race ready. I've never ridden an Enduro race bike this light before! I'll be swapping out the Fit4 damper for a Grip2 on wednesday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sweet ! Keep us informed.
    Did you have this on order ? If so when did you order and when did it show up ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Sweet ! Keep us informed.
    Did you have this on order ? If so when did you order and when did it show up ?
    I got real lucky with a cancellation due to injury. Kinda fell into my lap. The local shop has a handful coming in the near future if youíre around Denver. I could put you in contact if you wanted. Was planning on getting out today but itís currently pouring. Itís supposed to clear up later if I canít ride Iíll at least get some photos.

I still canít get over how light it is... exact weight is 31.44 with fender, water bottle cage, 2.5 DHFís front and back with CC in rear, 400g ANVL flat pedals, and a 168mm specialized power saddle (about 300g), and Stanís Flow MK3 wheels. Size XL! If thereís such a thing as a long travel weight weenie I may turn into one.... hahaha. I may buy a second wheel set thatís carbon for certain rides. I can probably knock close to another pound off. No sacrifices either... I would race this thing tomorrow as-is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah PM me the info. I did a bit of poking around back in August but they weren't shipping yet so I'm not sure yet how difficult it will be to get a hold of one of these.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Man the want for a Ransom is strong.

mtbr member
    Built mine up this evening, first ride tomorrow! So far super psyched! Can't believe this thing is 1.5lbs lighter than my SB150 was and it's an XL vs the L in Yeti and has 20mm more travel. Total weight with flat pedals, size XL, DHF 2.5's front and rear, Cushcore in back, and Stans Flow MK3's is 31.11lbs It's also lighter than the XL Ibis Ripmo and the L Mondraker Foxy 29.

The twinlock is LEGIT as well. "Traction control" sprints like a much shorter travel bike! Excited to mess with the ramp control tomorrow as well. The combo bar/stem looks sick and appears to be much more like a 35mm reach stem than a 50mm. At 6' with a 33" inseam I have the 150 Fox Factory Transfer dropper completely slammed but an XL feels perfect. I believe it has 175mm cranks as well.

I'll probably order some carbon wheels soon and it should be near 30lb even, race ready. I've never ridden an Enduro race bike this light before! I'll be swapping out the Fit4 damper for a Grip2 on wednesday.

mtbr member
    2019 Scott Ransom-291d610a-fa37-4000-b1da-49ef35852b08.jpg

One seriously fun bike! Really a ďdo everything wellĒ bike! Still dialing it in but so far so good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Congrats Nick. Looks like your persistence paid off. Sweet looking bike.
    *2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom Build*
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*

mtbr member
    thanks man!

Sorry about the sideways photo, not sure why this forum keeps doing that when I upload from mobile.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Will be eager to hear your thoughts on the Ransom (going up and down) vs. SB150 since you have experience with both now. I've demo'd the SB150 and was frankly a little underwhelmed.

- I'm currently still on a (now somewhat dated) custom build Bronson CC v1 with 160 fork. Looking to upgrade to a MY19 all 'rounder and leaning toward options with 170mm of travel that also pedal efficiently since I do a fair amount of climbing. (ideally less than 30lbs total).

Have been starving for more info on the Ransom's since it seems to tic all of my boxes. I'm west of COS, and would like to learn more on which bike shop you mentioned having more coming in. I called 5 different dealers in front range of CO, none of which had any clue on the 900 tuned variants and timeline to get one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    Will be eager to hear your thoughts on the Ransom (going up and down) vs. SB150 since you have experience with both now. I've demo'd the SB150 and was frankly a little underwhelmed.

- I'm currently still on a (now somewhat dated) custom build Bronson CC v1 with 160 fork. Looking to upgrade to a MY19 all 'rounder and leaning toward options with 170mm of travel that also pedal efficiently since I do a fair amount of climbing. (ideally less than 30lbs total).

Have been starving for more info on the Ransom's since it seems to tic all of my boxes. I'm west of COS, and would like to learn more on which bike shop you mentioned having more coming in. I called 5 different dealers in front range of CO, none of which had any clue on the 900 tuned variants and timeline to get one.
    SD and I both liked the 150 I think but he might have a different opinion than I do comparing the two bikes. For me the most noticeable difference is that the Ransom fees more agile where the 150 feels bigger when you ride it. The wheelbase is a little smaller on the Ransom but it does not ride like a 170mm 64.5deg HA bike to me. The Ransom in my opinion feels like a 160mm bike going down and a 150mm bike in the climbs with great balance. The SB150 feels like a 150mm bike going down and 140mm going up to me with a rear end that can at times feel a bit more harsh in the rough. The ramp control and traction mode on the Ransom gives the bike more flexibility to be setup and ridden than the SB150 which requires the X2 to be dialed in correctly to get the most out of it. I felt that when I had the X2 feeling really good on the 150 in the rough it gave up a little bit of efficiency under load and on steep climbs. I think for someone wanting to get the best of both the traction and descend mode on the Ransom would work great. The only thing on the Ransom I do not like is the fit 4 fork option with lockout mode. The bike does not need it and is much better balanced with a Grip2 damper but that is an easy fix.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for sharing your detailed opinions on the two different bikes. What was involved (in terms of effort and $) in switching out the Fit4 to Grip2? What are the major improvements on the Grip 2 - as compared to the Fit4?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for sharing your detailed opinions on the two different bikes. What was involved (in terms of effort and $) in switching out the Fit4 to Grip2? What are the major improvements on the Grip 2 - as compared to the Fit4?

Thanks.
    Basically just dropping in the grip2 damper in place of the fit4. I think the part is around $300-350 so not cheap but itís worth it. Grip2 is really supple off the top but still has good mid stroke support.

Also nice to hear some more Ransom reports coming out. Looking for something to replace my yeti 5.5 and the Ransom seems to be the best bike that nobody is talking about!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hi there, just wondering if yourself or anyone else on this thread has rode both the genius and the ransom. The previous season I rode the genius 720 and found I got a lot of pedal strikes. I know the BB height is quite a bit higher in the ransom. Has anyone noticed a big difference in pedal strikes between the 2 bikes? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Elkhunter- check your PM's.

Todays ride!
    https://youtu.be/N_L9CfHQX5s

I've got 22 miles on mine now. Legit climbing, slow speed chunky tech (up and down) and some super high speed rock garden stuff.

It took me a little bit to get the suspension dialed, usually I'm pretty good at sorting that immediately but on the second ride today it felt perfect. The first ride I had about 27% sag in the rear shock at 195lbs out of the shower which equaled 250psi. The back end felt a tad harsh. Today I lowered to 230psi - 30% sag exactly. The bike was smooth and composed everywhere. Rebound is one click slow from straight up on the adjuster. I stayed in linear mode all day for some real high speed rock stuff. Strava says 37.6mph. 1 mph faster than on the Foxy29 I rode last week.

Yesterday I rode the Fork at 85psi and had about 2" of travel left over. This was my normal pressure for the Grip2 I was on. Today I lowered it to 70 and it felt WAY better. Still not Grip2 good for the reasons duffman stated above but not far off. I'll have my Grip2 in on wednesday. I think it takes longer to take the fork off the bike than actually dropping in the Grip2 damper.

The bike really has dual personalities. With the same wheel setup as my SB150 it's nearly 1.5lbs lighter. 31.4 with water bottle cage, timber bell, cushcore in alloy wheels, and front fender. With some carbon wheels and no tire inserts it would easily be under 30lb for a size XL 170/170 bike! My Yeti was a size Large and I was in between sizes on the Ransom so I ended up sizing up to an XL and I don't regret it at all. I'm 6' 1/2" with a 33" inseam and the 150 post is slammed. The XL wheelbase is gigantic- like 1288mm I think but it doesn't ride anywhere near that big. I think it's a common theme in all these new geometry bikes. Super stable and balanced descending. Now that I have the suspension dialed I completely disagree with the recent video review of SB150 vs Ransom. Those guys just didn't take the time to dial in the suspension. Looking down at the combo bar/stem at first looks a little funny but they're the same sweep/rise as Race Face bars.

Where the bike really blew my mind is when you point it up hill. The twinlock IMO makes way more sense on a big travel bike like this than any XC machine. Traction control mode really makes the thing feel like an XC bike. Pedal strikes are non-existant. One of the highest BB's with 29'ers currently out there and I love it. 175mm crank arms still keep your CG low when you're rallying. I don't have any complaints...

Horst Link will always descend better than Yeti IMO due to the lack of pedal kick back and brake jack. The trade off has always been pedaling efficiency when really hammering. The twinlock eliminates that downside. This thing sprints out of the flats like an XC bike. Literally. The closest comparison I can come up with for this bike is a Specialized Enduro, but a frame that's over 2 pounds lighter, more travel, and a better suspension design that offers great midstroke support.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam720 View Post
    Hi there, just wondering if yourself or anyone else on this thread has rode both the genius and the ransom. The previous season I rode the genius 720 and found I got a lot of pedal strikes. I know the BB height is quite a bit higher in the ransom. Has anyone noticed a big difference in pedal strikes between the 2 bikes? Thanks in advance
    I had a 2018 Genius Tuned 900 and I liked the bike a lot. Pedal strikes in 29" setup I don't recall being much of an issue but I can say the Ransom has no issues with it. I live in Sedona so a lot of my riding includes punchy technical rock climbing and rock littered terrain in general so really low BB clearance can sometimes be an issue on bikes with really low BB height.

mtbr member
    Elkhunter- check your PM's.

Todays ride!
    https://youtu.be/N_L9CfHQX5s

I've got 22 miles on mine now. Legit climbing, slow speed chunky tech (up and down) and some super high speed rock garden stuff.

It took me a little bit to get the suspension dialed, usually I'm pretty good at sorting that immediately but on the second ride today it felt perfect. The first ride I had about 27% sag in the rear shock at 195lbs out of the shower which equaled 250psi. The back end felt a tad harsh. Today I lowered to 230psi - 30% sag exactly. The bike was smooth and composed everywhere. Rebound is one click slow from straight up on the adjuster. I stayed in linear mode all day for some real high speed rock stuff. Strava says 37.6mph. 1 mph faster than on the Foxy29 I rode last week.

Yesterday I rode the Fork at 85psi and had about 2" of travel left over. This was my normal pressure for the Grip2 I was on. Today I lowered it to 70 and it felt WAY better. Still not Grip2 good for the reasons duffman stated above but not far off. I'll have my Grip2 in on wednesday. I think it takes longer to take the fork off the bike than actually dropping in the Grip2 damper.

The bike really has dual personalities. With the same wheel setup as my SB150 it's nearly 1.5lbs lighter. 31.4 with water bottle cage, timber bell, cushcore in alloy wheels, and front fender. With some carbon wheels and no tire inserts it would easily be under 30lb for a size XL 170/170 bike! My Yeti was a size Large and I was in between sizes on the Ransom so I ended up sizing up to an XL and I don't regret it at all. I'm 6' 1/2" with a 33" inseam and the 150 post is slammed. The XL wheelbase is gigantic- like 1288mm I think but it doesn't ride anywhere near that big. I think it's a common theme in all these new geometry bikes. Super stable and balanced descending. Now that I have the suspension dialed I completely disagree with the recent video review of SB150 vs Ransom. Those guys just didn't take the time to dial in the suspension. Looking down at the combo bar/stem at first looks a little funny but they're the same sweep/rise as Race Face bars.

Where the bike really blew my mind is when you point it up hill. The twinlock IMO makes way more sense on a big travel bike like this than any XC machine. Traction control mode really makes the thing feel like an XC bike. Pedal strikes are non-existant. One of the highest BB's with 29'ers currently out there and I love it. 175mm crank arms still keep your CG low when you're rallying. I don't have any complaints...

Horst Link will always descend better than Yeti IMO due to the lack of pedal kick back and brake jack. The trade off has always been pedaling efficiency when really hammering. The twinlock eliminates that downside. This thing sprints out of the flats like an XC bike. Literally. The closest comparison I can come up with for this bike is a Specialized Enduro, but a frame that's over 2 pounds lighter, more travel, and a better suspension design that offers great midstroke support.
    Spot on 30% sag and linear is the sweet spot setup for me also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    I have owned a lot of bikes and the Ransom has been my favorite 29er to date and I usually do not pick overall favorite bikes. This bike friggin rocks IMO.

I dropped in a Grip 2 damper and completely removed the twin lock. Im sure it works on the rear but honestly it pedals so nice at 25-30% sag that I have no use for it on my trails. The bike climbs great "feels like a 150mm", it's agile, has tons of traction and has a very smooth, predictable and controlled demeanor in the rough. With everything I have thrown at it so far it has exceeded my expectations. They nailed the tune on the new rear shock and it takes very little effort to dial in. My build came in at 28 lbs, exactly the same weight as my Yeti SB130.

I had a 2018 genius and really liked the bike but felt it had a few areas that could be improved. It's like Scott read my mind, fixed all my nit pick issues and built the Ransom. I love this bike so much all my other bikes went up for sale. Along with how great it rides the cable routing is great, its super quiet, it's sexy, everything is super high quality and I can run up to a 2.6 tire in the rear no problem. I can honestly go on and on about how much I like this bike but you get the picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7955.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	451.8 KB 
ID:	1223188
    Did you buy this as a complete bike or start with just the frame? I cant find the Ransom Tuned frame in the U.S.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewartzach401 View Post
    Did you buy this as a complete bike or start with just the frame? I cant find the Ransom Tuned frame in the U.S.
    I don't think you can buy just the frame. This is a modified complete.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I don't think you can buy just the frame. This is a modified complete.
    Ok just got the word that the frame-sets are only available overseas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hmm....anyone know an overseas Scott dealer ??

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hmm....anyone know an overseas Scott dealer ??
    I've looked into it but you might as well buy the complete bike and modify it like Rom3n did. The frame-set is $5,100 w/ Fox Grip 4 forks. Then they quoted me $300 to have it shipped to the U.S. and it wont even be ready till Early April for shipping.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's actually very helpful information thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Interesting review here where they put it head to head against the Yeti SB150:
    https://binged.it/2JJ16N7

Spoiler - they rated the Yeti a 10 and the Scott an 8.

However it seemed like a lot of what they based that on was they felt the fox with the fit4 damper wasn't well balanced with the rear. And they liked that the Yeti grabbed more attention on the trails.

It was the usual frustrating bike review though where they made the effort to change out the tires/pedals/and grips on the bikes to match, but then didn't seem to spend even a half day dialing in the suspensions before their big 3 day enduro event.

IN fact they repeatedly mentioned the rear suspension worked a little better on the Scott with the Yeti feeling like it hung up a bit on square edged hits (likely due to chain growth/anti squat). But they also said that even with the rear shock in non-ramp mode they really never used full travel and it was too progressive. Again could they have made the effort to pull a volume spacer out ? (does the nude shock even have installed volume spacers ?).

Other mentions were that even though the Yeti was only 15mm longer the Scott felt noticeably more nimble and "smaller" on tighter jankier singeltrack.

The one thing they did say that bothered me (even though they also said there was almost no climbing in this 3 day enduro event) was that it was a bit wallowy with the shock in open mode and needed the traction mode to climb well. Climbing and pedalling are huge for me especially tech climbing so I'd be interested in any thoughts on open mode climbing. I will be running a 26t or 28t up front so I will get a little more anti-squat than designed anyway.

I ran a dual position fork for several years where I even fabricated up my own remote switch for it and I loved it. Lowering the front end was awesome for steep climbing and general pedalling. However two things moved me away from it - 1, I was demoing a lot of bikes and noticed how mentally freeing it was not to always be deciding what mode to be in and hitting the switch, and 2) I did a coil conversion on my fork and never want to go back. So even though the traction mode/twin lok seems ideal, I'm not eager to go back to having a dual modes and switches as I enjoy not thinking about what particular mode I need to be in for any given terrain. I've got an Avalanche shock now that works excellent and I never ever leave open mode on my 2014 Enduro even on fire road climbs and most people consider that bike pretty active.

Anyway check out the video if you like they go into quite a bit of detail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    >Now that I have the suspension dialed I completely disagree with the recent video review of SB150 vs Ransom.

Oh now I see that you saw this as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    >Now that I have the suspension dialed I completely disagree with the recent video review of SB150 vs Ransom.

These are the two bikes i'm interested in. Between the two which bike would you choose?

mtbr member
    These are the two bikes i'm interested in. Between the two which bike would you choose?
    I know you arenít asking me, but I put 500 miles on a SB150. I went with the Ransom. Look in the Yeti forum, the 150 frame is almost 8 pounds as well. The Scott is under 6. Crazy! The Ransom climbs fine in wide open. If youíre trying to PR climbs set it in traction control and it destroys the Yeti. Iím planning on doing a 40 mile endurance race on my ransom this next spring if that means anything. My Tallboy3 weighed 28.5 that i used a couple years ago. With some carbon wheels Iím expecting the ransom to be about 29 flat with light tires.

Rom3n has time on both as well and I believe he made the same decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I know you arenít asking me, but I put 500 miles on a SB150. I went with the Ransom. Look in the Yeti forum, the 150 frame is almost 8 pounds as well. The Scott is under 6. Crazy! The Ransom climbs fine in wide open. If youíre trying to PR climbs set it in traction control and it destroys the Yeti. Iím planning on doing a 40 mile endurance race on my ransom this next spring if that means anything. My Tallboy3 weighed 28.5 that i used a couple years ago. With some carbon wheels Iím expecting the ransom to be about 29 flat with light tires.

Rom3n has time on both as well and I believe he made the same decision.
    I appreciate your feedback. I ride the Scott Genius now and I think i'm going to like the Ransom. I can't believe the frame is 2lbs lighter than the Yeti that's crazy! Did you go with the Tuned Ransom and 27.5" or 29" wheels?

mtbr member

I agree with some of the things in that review except the critique of the Scotts climbing which I find to be excellent. For a bike that has 20mm more travel than the SB150 I feel that it gives up very little if anything to the SB150 in climbing when it's in descent mode and is better than the Yeti when in traction mode. If one prefers a steeper seat tube for long seated climbs the Yeti is a little more attractive but I personally have no issue with the STA on the Ransom. I do agree that the Fit4 fork is not as good as the Grip 2 on the Yeti but that is an easy fix and even if you buy a Grip 2 damper for the Ransom you will spend less than a similar specced Yeti. On the flip side I feel the nude shock tune is really dialed on the Ransom and the rear of the bike performs better when setup properly in the rough VS the Yeti. The Yeti SI suspension has never been great dealing with square edge hits and really rough high speed impacts for me and has always felt a bit more harsh than other suspension platforms. Where it shines is on more flow type trails where grip and traction are key and where pumping the bike thru the trail is important. The Ransom to me feels better on my local trails and that says a lot as the Yeti is a very good bike.

One thing that really bothers me with my Yeti SB150 is that a 2.5 tire will rub the inside of the chainstays when ridden aggressively. I know tire rub was a major issue with SD, his case being worse than mine. We both voiced our concerns in the Yeti forums if you take a look there. I like to run 2.5 rear tires on my trails and this was kind of a deal breaker for me as the flex built into the Yeti's rear end and tighter clearance limits tire choice. I currently have a top spec SB150 sitting in my garage and everyday I go to ride I grab my Ransom.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Just use the TwinLock and it will climb and pedal ten times better than the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I agree with some of the things in that review except the critique of the Scotts climbing which I find to be excellent. For a bike that has 20mm more travel than the SB150 I feel that it gives up very little if anything to the SB150 in climbing when it's in descent mode and is better than the Yeti when in traction mode. If one prefers a steeper seat tube for long seated climbs the Yeti is a little more attractive but I personally have no issue with the STA on the Ransom. I do agree that the Fit4 fork is not as good as the Grip 2 on the Yeti but that is an easy fix and even if you buy a Grip 2 damper for the Ransom you will spend less than a similar specced Yeti. On the flip side I feel the nude shock tune is really dialed on the Ransom and the rear of the bike performs better when setup properly in the rough VS the Yeti. The Yeti SI suspension has never been great dealing with square edge hits and really rough high speed impacts for me and has always felt a bit more harsh than other suspension platforms. Where it shines is on more flow type trails where grip and traction are key and where pumping the bike thru the trail is important. The Ransom to me feels better on my local trails and that says a lot as the Yeti is a very good bike.

One thing that really bothers me with my Yeti SB150 is that a 2.5 tire will rub the inside of the chainstays when ridden aggressively. I know tire rub was a major issue with SD, his case being worse than mine. We both voiced our concerns in the Yeti forums if you take a look there. I like to run 2.5 rear tires on my trails and this was kind of a deal breaker for me as the flex built into the Yeti's rear end and tighter clearance limits tire choice. I currently have a top spec SB150 sitting in my garage and everyday I go to ride I grab my Ransom.
    You had a 130 as well right? How does the Ransom feel compared to that when in progressive mode?

I've had seat time on both Yetis, unfortunately on different trails though. 130 was a shitload of fun on flowy trails with jumps I rode while in Idaho, but my home trails are far rougher, which is where I rode the 150. Trying to find something inbetween the two - the fun of the 130 with the rough capability of the 150.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I decided to go with the Ransom over the Yeti Sb150. I just have not decided on size yet. I'm 6' 3" with a 78" wingspan and ride a large Scott Genius now. Should I get the XL in the Ransom or just stick with the large?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Well, you are XL in their size chart, but if your -18's Genius L fits you well then you can go for a Ransom in L too because the reach is pretty much the same.
    However, as you know it's easier to make a bike smaller than make it bigger if you need to adjust the size after some testing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    When you put the grip2 damper in I assume you lose the lockout correct? Does this effect the rear lock out at all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
    When you put the grip2 damper in I assume you lose the lockout correct? Does this effect the rear lock out at all?
    Correct. Took about 20 minutes this afternoon. Doesnít effect the rear at all. The front is pretty pointless unless youíre doing a lot of road riding.

mtbr member
    I decided to go with the Ransom over the Yeti Sb150. I just have not decided on size yet. I'm 6' 3" with a 78" wingspan and ride a large Scott Genius now. Should I get the XL in the Ransom or just stick with the large?
    I would 100% go XL...

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    How does the standover height compare from the genius to the ransom? I rode a L in the genius and I'm only 5'7" but it was the perfect height and reach for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambam720 View Post
    How does the standover height compare from the genius to the ransom? I rode a L in the genius and I'm only 5'7" but it was the perfect height and reach for me.
    Ill definitely be getting the XL Ransom after seeing all the other sizing comments. For the standover height on the Large Genius it does not say specifically say on Scott's website but I just went and measured mine and it's about 32" with 27.5" wheels with the flip chip in high BB setting. The Ransom is 30" in Low and 29.6" in High BB. Hope this helps out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you very much for the info. Very helpful

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teej83 View Post
    You had a 130 as well right? How does the Ransom feel compared to that when in progressive mode?

I've had seat time on both Yetis, unfortunately on different trails though. 130 was a shitload of fun on flowy trails with jumps I rode while in Idaho, but my home trails are far rougher, which is where I rode the 150. Trying to find something inbetween the two - the fun of the 130 with the rough capability of the 150.
    I have not spent much time in progressive mode but I can say that I was not a huge fan of the 130. It's a solid trail bike on groomed trail and flow but my personal preference is for a bike that can handle rocky technical terrain without fuss and I found the 130 to be a little less composed in the rough than I would have liked.

If you read the comments he says he actually prefers the Ransom over the SB150 that he recently reviewed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone have time on a Ransom on big 27.5 tyres yet? I currently ride 27.5x2.8 Magic Mary front and a big WTB Breakout (measures 2.6 but labelled 2.5) in the back on my current bike. I love this tyre combo but I think perhaps 29x2.6 would work better on the ransom. Maybe 29x2.6 Mary front and 29x2.6 trail boss rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Guys,
    Has anyone tried both the XL and Large? I am 6ft 2 and in between sizes. The huge WB of the XL is a concern. Ride a mixture of tech and wide open trails here in the Lake District. (uk)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cumbriajason View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Has anyone tried both the XL and Large? I am 6ft 2 and in between sizes. The huge WB of the XL is a concern. Ride a mixture of tech and wide open trails here in the Lake District. (uk)

I'm 6' on an XL. Feels perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cumbriajason View Post
    Hey Guys,
    6í1, rode an XL yesterday on a mixture of terrain. I would go XL also. Something special about long reach, slack head angle and the short offset fork makes this bike carve.

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/ZY_FWZ-ydLk

Just in case anyone missed the Vital MTB video... This guy doesn't seem to have a problem with the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any comments on the durability of the finish Scott put on the frame? I read some early reports that it was a 'fragile' finish. Not a show stopper as I would apply protective film regardless - just curious to hear some feedback as the issues may have just been on the pre-production bikes.

mtbr member
    Any comments on the durability of the finish Scott put on the frame? I read some early reports that it was a 'fragile' finish. Not a show stopper as I would apply protective film regardless - just curious to hear some feedback as the issues may have just been on the pre-production bikes.
    Canít really speak to it as I frame tape all my bikes and only have a few rides on mine but so far no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The paint on my 2018 genius was quite fragile on the downtube. I would definitely suggest frame tape

Robertson
    Hey SD, noticed you were considering the Evil Offering and chose the Scott over it. I'm interested in both for my next ride. Would you mind sharing your considerations and decision points that led you to the Scott over the Evil?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Hey SD, noticed you were considering the Evil Offering and chose the Scott over it. I'm interested in both for my next ride. Would you mind sharing your considerations and decision points that led you to the Scott over the Evil?
    The Twinlock on the ransom and the ramp switch IMO make the ransom the best of both worlds. You can have a single crown DH bike or a poppy/playful trailbike. The ransom is also lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That rear shock is the killer feature. Wonder if fox will ever move that tech open market. What are you guys doing for bashguards with no Iscg mounts? Seems weird to me Scott left them off

SD did pedal pushers have any demos yet?

fraid of heights
    Ransom riders, how much time do you spend in the middle traction mode on more mellow "everyday" trails? Is it too limiting in the middle mode? Too much suspension restriction and it's "just for climbing" OR is it as the poster above says, trail bike and enduro bike?

I've always thought they spec'd the twin lock settings oddly, too restrictive on the Genius. I always thought they should have done a middle trail riding 130ish mode and then the a 100-110 mode NO full lockout. I can see the lockout on XC and marathon bikes, sparks, etc. For "pure enduro racing" I can understand a full lock out since so many transfers are just road rides. (So, let racers send their shocks in or buy a tune upgrade Or make a "race" model?) If your not racing, or just occasionally racing like the average customer; I just don't see the need for a full lockout on long travel bikes...?

SO hearing the Ransom is at least gone to a 120 seems a little better. 120 on larger wheels is not so bad. For sure there were a TON of happy Following and Process riders with 120mm 29ers.

Also, I wonder what the Ransom with a dual position RS Lyrik would be like? 120/150 and then 170/180 seems like that could be cool...

I'm really considering a Smash, love the way you can customize and they do seem like great bikes. (no demo yet) But then I saw Vital's video review of the Ransom and... SO many good bikes to choose from these days
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teej83 View Post
    That rear shock is the killer feature. Wonder if fox will ever move that tech open market. What are you guys doing for bashguards with no Iscg mounts? Seems weird to me Scott left them off

SD did pedal pushers have any demos yet?
    Hit up Kyle Sipes at Raceco!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Ransom riders, how much time do you spend in the middle traction mode on more mellow "everyday" trails? Is it too limiting in the middle mode? Too much suspension restriction and it's "just for climbing" OR is it as the poster above says, trail bike and enduro bike?

I've always thought they spec'd the twin lock settings oddly, too restrictive on the Genius. I always thought they should have done a middle trail riding 130ish mode and then the a 100-110 mode NO full lockout. I can see the lockout on XC and marathon bikes, sparks, etc. For "pure enduro racing" I can understand a full lock out since so many transfers are just road rides. (So, let racers send their shocks in or buy a tune upgrade Or make a "race" model?) If your not racing, or just occasionally racing like the average customer; I just don't see the need for a full lockout on long travel bikes...?

SO hearing the Ransom is at least gone to a 120 seems a little better. 120 on larger wheels is not so bad. For sure there were a TON of happy Following and Process riders with 120mm 29ers.

I'm really considering a Smash, love the way you can customize and they do seem like great bikes. (no demo yet) But then I saw Vital's video review of the Ransom and... SO many good bikes to choose from these days

Having a trail mode and a lockout really isn't an issue... it's just pushing the same button in further so I don't see the negative. You can ride in trail mode all the time if you want. I usually switch between open and "traction control" while climbing, lockout for very smooth climbing, and open for descending. I use it as much as the dropper now. Talking to our local Scott rep you can descend and hammer on it in traction mode going downhill as well if you're on a smooth trail and want a little less travel. It's not going to hurt the shock. I guess my breakdown so far would be 50% of the trail in open, 40% traction, 10% lockout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Does this think have bearings or bushings in the linkages?

fraid of heights
    I don't have an issue with the 3 modes. Just think that something like 170, 140, 100 seems like it would be a lot more useful. 170 to 120 is a pretty big jump for suspension modes. (and lockout just isn't that useful to me in a long travel FS bike?)

Anyway, thanks for the answer. Is your 40% of your time in traction mode just climbing? Does traction mode just feel like it's a climbing bail out? Or does the traction mode feel like good usable trail bike kind of suspension? I guess like you said, pry switching travel becomes 2nd nature like gears or a dropper post and you just change all the time?

I'd hope for the later, that the 120 mode lets you just ride it as a 120 trail bike, (when that's all the trail your on warrants) and not just feel like just a "bail out" mode.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    I don't have an issue with the 3 modes. Just think that something like 170, 140, 100 seems like it would be a lot more useful. 170 to 120 is a pretty big jump for suspension modes. (and lockout just isn't that useful to me in a long travel FS bike?)

Anyway, thanks for the answer. Is your 40% of your time in traction mode just climbing? Does traction mode just feel like it's a climbing bail out? Or does the traction mode feel like good usable trail bike kind of suspension? I guess like you said, pry switching travel becomes 2nd nature like gears or a dropper post and you just change all the time?

I'd hope for the later, that the 120 mode lets you just ride it as a 120 trail bike, (when that's all the trail your on warrants) and not just feel like just a "bail out" mode.

Thanks!
    Totally. Rode some downhill sections today in traction mode because 170 wasn't necessary. Easy enough to switch back to "open" but wanted to see how it felt and it was good. Today is the first day I actually noticed the geometry change when using twinlock too because I was climbing some super steep fire road. Definitely easier to climb when using twinlock. I use lockout a lot more than I imagined as well. Probably 40% of the climbing today. As long as it's not loose or techy the lockout is really nice.

All the linkages have bushings as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I think you made the right choice in buying this bike for the category of riding you do.
    Sick bike!
    If I was a little more oriented towards downhill, or just had more sustained uphill followed by more sustained downhill, the new Scott would be my bike.
    Congrats.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    If I was a little more oriented towards downhill, or just had more sustained uphill followed by more sustained downhill, the new Scott would be my bike.
    Congrats.

This is where I am at too. I like the idea of having a very long travel bike and a short travel bike in one but I donít need the long travel. So I would really be in traction control mode 70% of the time which seems silly but if it rode well that way why not own this thing. Not like it weighs more than the ripmo and less than the following...

My trails are short ups short downs and flowy pedally stuff. Chair lift access is about 3 hours away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've never ridden the bike but it's hard to imagine it rides just like a hard trail/ light enduro bike when the suspension is in limited travel mode. Is there some compromise there?

Maybe some of those other guys can comment.

What I can tell you is that my new Foxy 29 pedals like a XC bike without touching any levers, which works well where I live cause it's constant up-down-up. And SD thought highly of the Foxy's descending abilities also setting some PRs I believe.

Oh, and my L weighs 28.1# before tools/ bash guard/ pedals were added.

Ps. Did I read that the Ransom doesn't have bash guard provisions? WTF!

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 1 Day Ago at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I've never ridden the bike but it's hard to imagine it rides just like a hard trail/ light enduro bike when the suspension is in limited travel mode. Is there some compromise there?

Maybe some of those other guys can comment.

What I can tell you is that my new Foxy 29 climbs like a XC bike without touching any levers, which works well where I live cause it's constant up-down-up. And SD thought highly of the Foxy's descending abilities also setting some PRs I believe.

Oh, and my L weighs 28.1# before tools/ bash guard/ pedals were added.

Ps. Did I read that the Ransom doesn't have bash guard provisions? WTF!

I spent a ride on my friendís Ransom so I can compare it directly to my Yeti 5.5. Love my 5.5 but Iím 6í1 and my yeti is a L. Never really thought that was an issue until I started riding bikes with longer reach and loved how I felt there was more room to move around compare to my 5.5 where there is a small sweet spot for my riding position. My friend is 6í3 and rides an XL Ransom. I put all my numbers in the scott fit calculator and it put me on an XL which has a ton more reach than Iím used to and 3 longer wheelbase. Bike felt big at first but I quickly got used to it. If it was my bike Iíd probably slam the seat forward and put on a 35 or 40mm stem to shorten up the cockpit a little when seated but standing in the attack position felt really good. First DH run I was taking it easy and noticed I was drifting wide on some turns due to the size. 2nd run I got more aggressive and threw it around and all was well. Longer wheelbase just requires a little more input on the tighter stuff.

Comparing the suspension of the 2 bikes I found the Ransom to be superior pretty much everywhere as can be expected with a bike with 30mm more rear travel. It just felt so smooth and soaked up big hits to flat like a mini DH bike. Square edged hits and chatter were now gone which I notice a lot on my 5.5. It still pedals well in open mode with not a lot of power sucking bob but this is where the 5.5 feels better with more of a pedaling platform.

I was also skeptical of the traction control feature but after my ride Iíve changed my tune. It took me all of 10 seconds to get used to the lever. After that it just felt really natural and didnít have to think about it at all. 120mm mode feels really good. Not like some switch that just cuts off an oil damping circuit to make it feel over damped to reduce bob but like an actual 120mm suspension. Actually the bike smoothed chatter and small square edged stuff better in 120 than my 5.5. So if you wanted to you could actually run it traction mode on a mellow trail all day.

Couple other things I noticed and I donít now if itís the head angle being slack at 64.5 degrees, the shorter offset fork, or a combination but the ransom absolutely carves corners. Couple times I came in a little hot to a turn expecting a little drift from the front and the front tire just dug in and kept turning without losing any traction. The other thing I noticed is that the Ransom carries a ton of speed. As soon as the trail points down it just accelerates. I noticed this when following my buddy when I was on my 5.5. We would be on the same section of trail both not pedaling and he would pull away. He said the same thing when we switched bikes.

Needless to say I was really impressed with the ransom. It really is 2 bikes in 1. Especially for where I ride where itís mostly long uphill grinds to the top of the mountain followed by long sustained descents.

mtbr member
    I have to admit that I did a quick road test / setup ride with the Ransom's twin lock right after building it up and then quickly removed it as I expected it to be like the 2018 Genius which I felt did not work well and was not really needed. I have been running the ransom wide open at all times without the twin lock and without any real complaint as my local climbs are short and punchy. Once I found a sweet spot in the sag I felt it was just fine for climbing and great everywhere else. Well after seeing several reviews and guys like SD saying how good the twin lock is I decided to install it and take it out on several of my local trails to see how it really changes the bike while not only climbing but just regular trail riding.

My feelings on the new twin lock "single lock for me as I don't use it in the fork" is that it really is a game changer. It took a couple rides to find the new sweet spot in the sag for me which I found to be about 33% ish VS where I had it when running the bike in descent at 28% ish but once I did I realized this is really two bikes in one and the bike can climb like a short to mid travel and descend like a pure DH / Enduro bike at the flick of a lever. The bike now rips up climbs faster and has a better geo while vertical and with the added sag I can now run it even more plush in the rough. I would suggest anyone wanting to spend decent time in the traction mode to experiment with sag as you can run a little more with how supportive this mode is without compromising it's efficiency. The bike feels to me like a very capable 120-130mm bike while cruising along on singletrack. I found myself forgetting to switch to descent mode a couple times today while hitting some rough trail only to be surprised at the end that I was still in traction mode the entire time.

I am now 100% sold on the new design and the only nit pic is that I will miss my wolf tooth dropper lever but it is a small compromise for such a cool feature that really does exactly what it is advertised to do. In this industry that can often be a hard thing to come by.

fraid of heights
    you guys would have made my life easier just confirming it's a gimmick, or only good for to use as a "climb switch".

Now I'm totally back to not knowing which bike...

Local Scott dealer #1(2-3? locations) not getting any till Dec/Jan. Will check the other Scott dealer, but experience tells me they won't order any for the sales floor...
    Last edited by stiingya; 11 Hours Ago at 08:51 PM.