2019 Scott Ransom - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruben.Masi View Post
    Has anyone been riding a ransom as a frankenbike with 29 front and 27.5 rear???
    I've wondered about this a bit myself. Other than making the seat tube pretty slack it might be fun.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I've wondered about this a bit myself. Other than making the seat tube pretty slack it might be fun.
    I wonder if switching it to ďhighĒ mode would be enough to return the seat angle to normal...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    I wonder if switching it to ďhighĒ mode would be enough to return the seat angle to normal...
    This would be a great idea.

mtbr member
    Going to try it in the next week or so...running a 180 lyrik on mine which should help with the BB height issue. HA will be about ~63 degrees in the high mode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The front fender decal is trick! What color is that on his website? I can't find one that looks close in color.

mtbr member
    Still unsure. I'm going to a local Scott dealer to check.

mtbr member
    Need help with this, if I put the igus, yellow bushings on the outside of the shock mounts, the black like shims on the inside, with the flange on the inside touching the shock, it still knocks bad. But if I put the black shims on the outside, flange facing the mounting bolts, it doesn't knock. 🤬🤬🤬HELP

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by biggazu View Post
    Need help with this, if I put the igus, yellow bushings on the outside of the shock mounts, the black like shims on the inside, with the flange on the inside touching the shock, it still knocks bad. But if I put the black shims on the outside, flange facing the mounting bolts, it doesn't knock. 🤬🤬🤬HELP
    Pictures?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    If itís a 910 you need new shims from your LBS, known issue Fox muffed this one up. I had the same problem with 2-3mm of vertical play and knocking, just picked it up from the shop and no play with the new shims.

mtbr member
    Bloody hell. Scott UK are utterly rubbish. Nearly 4 weeks since I reported this problem.
    Thanks RNGR1 for shedding light on the problem. So Scott will know about this I guess????

mtbr member
    May 2019
    The Scott rep was dropping off a bag of the shims at the same time I was dropping off my bike. This was only 3 days ago so you might want to circle back with Scott UK. They also replaced my bushings due to premature wear from the play. Happy with the resolution from my LBS and Scott USA but sounds like Scott UK might be a different story. Good luck on the fix mate.

mtbr member
    Your a legend cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RNGR1 View Post
    If itís a 910 you need new shims from your LBS, known issue Fox muffed this one up. I had the same problem with 2-3mm of vertical play and knocking, just picked it up from the shop and no play with the new shims.
    I'm confused. I thought Biggazu's problem ended up being assembling the bushings incorrectly, but there is actually a problem with the bushings themselves ? Does this affect all 910's or only some ? The shims are side to side shims or thicker bushings ?

I don't need to freak out as I don't have a problem (yet).

Basically can you explain exactly what the problem is and if its something we all need to address ?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I'm confused. I thought Biggazu's problem ended up being assembling the bushings incorrectly, but there is actually a problem with the bushings themselves ? Does this affect all 910's or only some ? The shims are side to side shims or thicker bushings ?

I don't need to freak out as I don't have a problem (yet).

Basically can you explain exactly what the problem is and if its something we all need to address ?
    LBS said this affects a "few" 910's. They replaced bushings and shims, I don't have any details beyond that. If you have more than 3 rides on it and there is no play in the shock you are prob good but might want to consult your LBS to be certain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNGR1 View Post
    LBS said this affects a "few" 910's. They replaced bushings and shims, I don't have any details beyond that. If you have more than 3 rides on it and there is no play in the shock you are prob good but might want to consult your LBS to be certain.
    Almost all of suspension bolts in my 910 became loose after first 40km ride. I'm planning to add fresh blue locticte on threads.

mtbr member
    Hi, my 910 is now with the bike shop I bought it from. I should get more info soon. I hope.

mtbr member
    It sounds like there's some fitment issues with the rear shock on some bikes. I'm not sure if it's a Scott thing or a Fox thing. Fox had the wrong DU bushings in an SB150 I had for a little bit too. It sounds like the spindle piece in the trunnion mount is slightly longer than the bushings in some bikes causing very slight vertical play. I've heard of guys filing down (literally just taking the paint off) one end of the spindle, or getting replacement fitment kits and both tightening everything back up.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree. Wished I had just shaved a touch off mine and it would of been all good again. 4 weeks without a ride is not good, but weather in UK at the moment isn't pretty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    My 900 tuned has a slight knock in the rear suspension. Can feel a little bit of play when dropping it from just off the ground. It goes away if I hold the seat stays so it seems like itís coming from the seat stay pivots. They are torqued to spec. Weird. My buddyís 910 feels rock solid. Also getting some rubbing from my 2.5 maxxis aggressor on the inside of the seatstay. I ride and corner pretty aggressively so the rubbing isnít that surprising but there is quite a bit of clearance so maybe itís just wheel flex. Especially considering how stiff this frame is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've got a 900 Tuned arriving in CO on Tuesday.

My plan is to swap my current wheels and some proper tires immediately as well as convert to a singleloc as some of you have and drop a GRIP2 in the fork.

mtbr member
    My 900 tuned has a slight knock in the rear suspension. Can feel a little bit of play when dropping it from just off the ground. It goes away if I hold the seat stays so it seems like itís coming from the seat stay pivots. They are torqued to spec. Weird. My buddyís 910 feels rock solid. Also getting some rubbing from my 2.5 maxxis aggressor on the inside of the seatstay. I ride and corner pretty aggressively so the rubbing isnít that surprising but there is quite a bit of clearance so maybe itís just wheel flex. Especially considering how stiff this frame is.
    My money is on the wheels as well. I have a set of "compliant" carbon wheels and definitely get a faint rub with a 2.5 aggressor also. My race wheelset are EX511's with 2mm straight gauge spokes and it doesn't touch anywhere with a 2.5 DHF.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    I've got a 900 Tuned arriving in CO on Tuesday.

My plan is to swap my current wheels and some proper tires immediately as well as convert to a singleloc as some of you have and drop a GRIP2 in the fork.
    Nice! IMO it's the only upgrade this bike needs unless you want to cut the seat tube down
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi guys. How would you describe the Ransom? Is it a plush or even better a super plush bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Took my 900 into the shop yesterday. Confirmed the knocking is coming from the lower shock mount. You can feel the bolt moving slightly when raising and lowering the bike. Shop is calling fox today about the issue. Hopefully new mounting hardware resolves the issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    Hi guys. How would you describe the Ransom? Is it a plush or even better a super plush bike?
    IMO "plush" is a pretty vague term... It all depends on how you set the suspension up. It can certainly be made "plush", it has 170mm of travel
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Took my 900 into the shop yesterday. Confirmed the knocking is coming from the lower shock mount. You can feel the bolt moving slightly when raising and lowering the bike. Shop is calling fox today about the issue. Hopefully new mounting hardware resolves the issue.
    This is the issue I've heard of. Some super thin shims at that mount make it disappear.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    This is the issue I've heard of. Some super thin shims at that mount make it disappear.
    Well, the shop called fox. Fox said it canít be a problem with the hardware. They said to double check the torque which is the first thing I did of course. If that doesnít do it they want the shock back. Which due to their recent move is at least a 3 week turnaround. Ugh!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Does anyone know the correct orientation for the metal sleeves that slide into the frame? Do they slide in from the outside or from the inside?

Just pulled my shock off and Iím pretty sure I had one mounted from the inside and the other from the outside. Now I just need to figure out which is way is the right way!

mtbr member
    The metal shims or tophats are mounted inside out, so the flanged part touches the shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by biggazu View Post
    The metal shims or tophats are mounted inside out, so the flanged part touches the shock.
    Damn. I was afraid of that. I installed it that way and the knocking is actually worse.

Was your knocking problem fixed? If so, what was the solution? Fox is saying there isnít a problem.

mtbr member
    Sounds the same as my 910 with just over 200 miles riding.

mtbr member
    Well, the shop called fox. Fox said it canít be a problem with the hardware. They said to double check the torque which is the first thing I did of course. If that doesnít do it they want the shock back. Which due to their recent move is at least a 3 week turnaround. Ugh!!!
    So far I've had FOX fitment issues on a 2019 SB150, my 2019 YT TUES, and the Ransom. I wouldn't listen to just "anyone" at Fox... They seem to be having serious QC issues.

I was at a local shop where a good friend works and it was a slow day (we have snow!), for fun I walked around and pulled on rear shocks. About 80% of Fox rear shocks- X2, DPS, and DPX2 all have some lateral play. If the bike was spec'ed with an RS shock there was zero play. Fox tries to say it's normal but it has to cause premature wear. I pulled on about 20 bikes.... seems insane to me.

I know of a half a dozen guys on Ransoms and about half of them have added these shims to the trunnion mount to remove a slight vertical play. I'm confident in the fix, one of the guys has almost 1000 miles on his and a couple enduros already with these in place. I'm not sure their dimensions unfortunately. One on each side. If you're in Colorado I have some extras.

2019 Scott Ransom-image1.jpg
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Street doctor your a star. Cheers for the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    So far I've had FOX fitment issues on a 2019 SB150, my 2019 YT TUES, and the Ransom. I wouldn't listen to just "anyone" at Fox... They seem to be having serious QC issues.

I was at a local shop where a good friend works and it was a slow day (we have snow!), for fun I walked around and pulled on rear shocks. About 80% of Fox rear shocks- X2, DPS, and DPX2 all have some lateral play. If the bike was spec'ed with an RS shock there was zero play. Fox tries to say it's normal but it has to cause premature wear. I pulled on about 20 bikes.... seems insane to me.

I know of a half a dozen guys on Ransoms and about half of them have added these shims to the trunnion mount to remove a slight vertical play. I'm confident in the fix, one of the guys has almost 1000 miles on his and a couple enduros already with these in place. I'm not sure their dimensions unfortunately. One on each side. If you're in Colorado I have some extras.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	1252265
    Thanks for the offer SD, but I'm out in CA. Taking the bike back in today so they can deal with fox on the phone. Fox wants to walk through a couple things with them but its pretty obvious that their shims/bushings are to blame. My buddy's 910 is rock solid. Had him pull one of the bolts off to make sure everything was assembled correctly and it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So its vertical play caused by "horizontal" play in the trunion mount that allows the bottom of the shock to slide left-right which translates into extra vertical motion. Adding shims removes this play and makes it solid.

Whether or not this is Bigazzu's problem, it could if left untreated ovalize the actual frame holes and that would be very bad.

My 910 does not have this problem but I like to keep a close eye on these things.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would think the bushings in the frame would take the majority of the abuse and hopefully prevent the frame from ovalizing. But that would be worst case and would mean a warranty frame replacement. I figure Scott wouldnít be too happy with Fox at that point!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Fox wants the shock sent to them. Waiting to hear what Scott says to do about it. Should hear today. The only other thing I can think of if itís not the shims, or shock body itself, is that maybe the shock bolts are a touch to long so that they bottom out before snugging everything up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Official word from Scott was to put a .50mm shortening shim under the bolt head on each side. So it appears the threads are not threaded to the correct depth on the shock body. Which makes sense since the bolts appear to be torqued correctly but really are just bottoming out preventing everything from tightening up. Going to head to a specialty hardware store today to find the correct size shim.

Here is the part#:

https://precisionbrand.com/products/...im-pack-of-25/

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for keeping us up to date Duffman. Really appreciate it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345