2019 Scott Ransom - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Well....is your freehub loose ? I doubt you will find any online discussion of what is bascially a house wheelset. I do know that I loaned whatever wheel came with my 910 to my buddy on a trip we were on and he broke the freewheel pawls by the end of the day. I had it warranteed at the LBS of purchase and the mechanic showed me how the "early" version of the hub did not have good support from the outer bearing and he thought that was why the pawls broke. The repair kit actually fitted the outer bearing several mm outboard and used a different end cap.

So, take that fwiw. I haven't ridden the wheel since then. Not my friend weights 215 lbs of muscle and it was actually the 3rd freehub that had broken on him (the previous one was a Stan's "neo" and he broke the original and the warranty replacement). We were doing a lot of tough climbing in the mountains but still disappointing these were so easy to break . I loaned him my 3rd backup wheel which was a Roval with a DT internal star ratchet style hub and that one didn't break although hard to compare the actual load that was put on the different wheels.
    Didn't get a chance to check the freehub yet. Got home from my ride last night and took off the wheel to check to see if the cassette could be tightened but it was as tight as possible. Going to remove the cassette after work today and see what the freehub looks like.

It shifts fine on the stand and when my suspension is locked out. But with any movement of the suspension the chain starts dancing all over the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    It shifts fine on the stand and when my suspension is locked out. But with any movement of the suspension the chain starts dancing all over the cassette.
    When that happened to me (different bike), it was the rear derailleur mounting bolt that was loose. Steady state was fine, but any bumps or sideways jolts to the bike made the derailleur flop about and change gear, however momentarily.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemoto885 View Post
    When that happened to me (different bike), it was the rear derailleur mounting bolt that was loose. Steady state was fine, but any bumps or sideways jolts to the bike made the derailleur flop about and change gear, however momentarily.
    Checked exactly that when I got home. Was definitely in need of tightening. Not super loose, but I could move the hanger in the frame by hand a bit. Taking it out tomorrow for a ride. Hopefully that was it 🤞🏻

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone know what type of hubs are the Revelstoke 2.0 wheels? I am looking to replace the drivetrain with Shimano and trying to figure out if a micro spline is available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My knowledgeable LBS and I looked at that as well and it didn't match anything in particular. You could try calling and digging in until you actually find a Syncros product person, but since Microspline hasn't been available on a whole host of more widely used hubs (at least until recently) it seems doubtful. I would keep pursuing it though if you can, the Shimano shifting works really nicely. Although perhaps not quite enough better to justify a new hub and wheel build.

mtbr member
    Have you guys see the raw aluminum Ransom?? Saw it in person today and boy what a beautiful bike. I would get it over the carbon version all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Flip-chip on High setting with 29er wheels

Flip-chip high setting is recommended by Scott for the 27.5 wheelset. Has anyone tried the high setting with a 29er setup?

This review, if I understood the German correctly, says that "at high mode with 29 wheels, the climbing and low-speed descending ability is improved with not much penalty on high-speed stability."

If so, it may be a good option to switch it to low setting only in bike parks and use the high setting in most trail riding conditions.

Any experience or thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Iíve run my Ransom in the high setting with 29Ē wheels. Climbing was a little better and the bike was a little more maneuverable at slow speeds, but there was a penalty in high speed stability and cornering. In the end it wasnít enough for me to want to keep it in the high setting. I tried it because I was curious to see what it felt like. If I was you Iíd give it a try. It takes all of 5 mins (if that) to switch from low to high.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah steeper HA obviously, and steeper SA, but I've always felt you can simulate steeper SA by just moving/pitching the seat forward. I used to be a fan of "not so slack" HA, but as I've gotten used to the advantages I've decided I was wrong on that. Although at the same time I wouldn't want it even a half degree slacker, because on super steep pitch/tech climbing it does take much more effort to keep the front wheel straight vs my old E29 at 67.5 degrees.

So just a long winded way of saying I don't see any significant advantage to raising the bike. I do get a few more pedal strikes than I like but I also refuse to shorten my 175mm cranks and its a small issue, certainly not a big problem like some ultra low bikes, although it does make me laugh at a few reviews I read that said the bb was a touch too high.

What i do find much more interesting is if you were to go mullett and put a 27.5 on the back, then the high position makes more sense and could be a very intersting combinartion.

But like Mauserman said, it takes all of 2 minutes to experiment with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thank you both for the feedback. I will try it this weekend and see for myself the gains vs. losses at high setting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Have you guys see the raw aluminum Ransom?? Saw it in person today and boy what a beautiful bike. I would get it over the carbon version all day long.

Moving everything from my 2019 Tuned to a 2020 brushed AL 920
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Moving everything from my 2019 Tuned to a 2020 brushed AL 920
    Awesome that will look sweet

mtbr member
    Iím looking into buying a Ransom 900 or 910 size XL. On paper, this seems like a great bike for me but some of you have some issues with it. For those that own one, would you buy it again or recommend it? It seems that a lot of people on this thread have an XL but when I look on Pinkbike and EBay, all the used Ransom 900ís are size Large. I almost start to think they didnít make many XL versions.
    What other bikes are similar to this bike, Firebird 29, Canyon Strive? I donít like the Yetiís because they donít have much tire clearance in the rear. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I would absolutely buy another Ransom. Iíve put over 1,200 miles on mine and had zero issues. As for sizing, Iím 6í and riding a size large. I wanted a bike that was a little more maneuverable. I do a lot of climbing. If I was more into shuttling Iíd have gotten an XL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauserman View Post
    I would absolutely buy another Ransom. Iíve put over 1,200 miles on mine and had zero issues. As for sizing, Iím 6í and riding a size large. I wanted a bike that was a little more maneuverable. I do a lot of climbing. If I was more into shuttling Iíd have gotten an XL.
    Thanks for your response, what year and model do you have?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a 2019 Large 910 (although I swapped all the parts). I'm 5'11" more long torso than legs. Its perfect for me, any longer would just be too cumbersome on my favorite trails (more back country than enduro). Put it this way - I like it so much I've contemplated buying a 900 tuned version just to save those precious 300g, and I've also thought about buying a second one to put a 40 on the front and a coil on the back so I can have my lighter weight back country enduro worthy trail rig and a full on DownDuro bike. The list of 170mm 29'ers is pretty short, and all of them are heavier than the Scott. I like that the geo of the Ransom is modern but not overkill, it still feels like a trail bike. But the first time you DH on it and feel how much that back end can soak up you will get a big smile on your face.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Txholland View Post
    Iím looking into buying a Ransom 900 or 910 size XL. On paper, this seems like a great bike for me but some of you have some issues with it. For those that own one, would you buy it again or recommend it? It seems that a lot of people on this thread have an XL but when I look on Pinkbike and EBay, all the used Ransom 900ís are size Large. I almost start to think they didnít make many XL versions.
    What other bikes are similar to this bike, Firebird 29, Canyon Strive? I donít like the Yetiís because they donít have much tire clearance in the rear. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
    Seriously, you'll love the Ransom. I'm 6' and on an XL. I prefer really short 32mm stems, so it fits me perfectly. It's a big bike for sure, but man is it fast and makes up for all of my inability to really ride it. I actually test rode a large and thought that was my size, but after throwing a leg over the XL, I realized it was a nice fit for what I wanted. I'm not sure I'd buy one if I was any shorter, but i think 6'+ it's a good bet. I have the 910 and basically overbuilt it and added a coil shock. I'm a new bike per year guy, so I'm seriously considering just buying a new 900. If I do, you'll see an XL up for sale so keep an eye out.
    Scott Ransom 910/Evil Insurgent/Chromag Primer...always wanting more!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses, Iím pretty set on an XL since Iím 6.2Ē with long legs and arms. There are so many Large Ransoms for sale on Pinkbike now.
    I actually havenít even ridden a Ransom yet but I just really love the specs and reviews. I was a kinda worried about the issues some people are having with the rear shock. Iíd hate the buy a higher priced used bike and not having the warranty support from a bike shop if I have a problem with the shock or something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for the responses, Iím pretty set on an XL since Iím 6.2Ē with long legs and arms. There are so many Large Ransoms for sale on Pinkbike now.
    I actually havenít even ridden a Ransom yet but I just really love the specs and reviews. I was a kinda worried about the issues some people are having with the rear shock. Iíd hate the buy a higher priced used bike and not having the warranty support from a bike shop if I have a problem with the shock or something.
    You definitely need the XL. I'm 6'1 and love the way the XL feels. There isn't a problem with the shock. The problem is with the plastic IGUS bushing that is pressed into the frame. The bushing wears down over time which leads to play in the shock mount. A new bushing fixes it. Not a deal breaker but the bushing should last longer than it does. I only get about 250-300 miles out of a bushing before the play starts up again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for your response, what year and model do you have?
    I have the 2019 900 tuned

mtbr member
    I got the chance to ride the ransom today back to back with the new S Enduro and also a Yeti SB165 and I still choose the Ransom. It descends very similar to the enduro but climbs 3x better. Didn't use the twinloc at all today to try and keep it more fair. I think I'll be going from an XL back down to an L for 2020 just to be more upright after some back issues this year. I also think after not using twinloc at all I'm going to remove it and go a different route....

Geometry compared to the Yeti was super similar but the Yeti was a couple pounds heavier and it was the top of the line build with 1300g wheels. It did peak my interest into a set of 27.5 wheels to make the bike a little more playful though.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I got the chance to ride the ransom today back to back with the new S Enduro and also a Yeti SB165 and I still choose the Ransom. It descends very similar to the enduro but climbs 3x better. Didn't use the twinloc at all today to try and keep it more fair. I think I'll be going from an XL back down to an L for 2020 just to be more upright after some back issues this year. I also think after not using twinloc at all I'm going to remove it and go a different route....

Geometry compared to the Yeti was super similar but the Yeti was a couple pounds heavier and it was the top of the line build with 1300g wheels. It did peak my interest into a set of 27.5 wheels to make the bike a little more playful though.
    Nice, wish I was able to test ride all these 3 bikes back to back. Which Ransom did you ride, the newest 2020 900 tuned?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The only non-cosmetic differences between 2019 and 2020 Tuned models are the brakes (coda vs xt), saddle, and +25mm dropper post length. They should be pretty similar in ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

ode to full lockout

In most reviews I've seen, the full lockout mode on twinlock seems to be underappreciated. I have been riding the 2019 Tuned for a month now, most rides including 1000-1500m Alpine climbs. I use the full lockout ~70% of the climb time.

Big part of these climbs are not technical, smoothish dirt roads. I think this is the norm rather than an exception for most long climbs; I cannot imagine climbing full technical for that long anyways! I switch between traction and full lockout depending on how rough the terrain is. Most of the time, I prefer the efficiency of the full lockout. Tire pressure is often good enough to smooth out the trail.

For me, the real benefit of full lockout is the ability to drop down a gear or two and stand up pedal for a minute or so every so often. This is a habit from road cycling; switching between seated and stand-up pedaling really helps with rhythm and relaxing contact points during the long sustained climbs. It is possible to stand-up pedal in traction mode too, but some bobbing is inevitable. I much prefer the full lockout.

On asphalt commute sections full lockout is a no brainer. One of course doesn't get this bike for asphalt rides, but they are an inevitable part of my rides (train station-to-trail head, loop rides, ...).

I saw some reporting insignificant difference between open and traction mode. In my setup, the difference is not huge on flats; when the incline gets ~12-13%, however, open mode starts bobbing excessively, traction mode doesn't. One thing I haven't tried yet is riding flow trails in traction mode. I am curious to see if the bike really rides like a short travel.

So far, I am very happy with the twinloc system; I would not want to ditch it for my style of riding. One small glitch is that after riding on full lockout, if I switch back to traction or open mode while my weight is still on the forks, the twinloc cap is momentarily stuck in the full lockout mode. I have to pull a little on the handlebars to release the pressure off the full lockout mechanism and switch to traction/open mode.

mtbr member
    Nice, wish I was able to test ride all these 3 bikes back to back. Which Ransom did you ride, the newest 2020 900 tuned?
    I've put about 800 miles on my XL tuned 900 from 2019. I had a large 910 loaner yesterday and the other two bikes belonged to friends.
    Denver, CO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234