Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Photo of the climb switch side?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    NICE! Be honest.... how much of a difference did it make? The Nude feels so good I can't imagine noticing a difference. Can you weigh the Nude TR? I'm sincerely contemplating a 910 with a Fox 49 and X2 as a second bike. Pulling the dropper I think it would weigh the same as a regular Ransom.
    Weight of the nude shock is 410g.

I have the X2 about 90% dialed in but im still finalizing the sag and LSC settings to get the best compromise for pedaling efficiency. My thoughts so far are that the X2 does some things better than the stock nude but of course you lose the versatility of the twin lock. The stock nude tune is as good as that shock can get. I think Scott nailed the tune and for a shock that has little custom setup options it's great because you don't need to dick with it. The X2 on the other hand gives you a lot of custom tuning options to set the bike up to your personal preference but will for sure require a decent amount of time invested to setup.

The things I have noticed with the X2 is that it is more composed on really big hits, it feels a little more consistent on long fast rocky trail and of course you can make a lot of small adjustments to cater to your personal preference / trail which you cannot do with the stock shock. The X2 also allows you to run a normal dropper lever below the bars which is not a big deal but I would put that in the plus column. Where the X2 is at a disadvantage is that you do need to run a little less sag to have an overall really nice pedaling platform than you do with the twin lock so you do sacrifice some of the plushness that you can get with the stock nude shock in its descend mode. Where I was able to run about 33% sag with the stock shock because the traction mode would firm it up enough when climbing the X2 I have to run at about 28% sag to have a nice firm pedaling platform at all times. Another down side to the X2 on this bike is that you cannot run the climb switch on the X2 as there is not enough room for the lever to rotate once the shock is mounted. I usually do not use the lockout on X2's but for those that would this is a no go. Another small note is that you have to run the full 3 spacers on the X2 to get it to feel right with this bike. Just like the stock nude shock you have to load it up.

Overall I think there are advantages and disadvantages so far with running the X2. I think the stock shock is perfect for most that would ride this bike but I also feel that the X2 definitely is a good option for some. Once I feel that I have the setup as good as it can get I will decide if I will keep it on or not but so far it's looking very promising. The X2 paired with a Grip2 damper in the fork has been a lot of fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    Weight of the nude shock is 410g.

I have the X2 about 90% dialed in but im still finalizing the sag and LSC settings to get the best compromise for pedaling efficiency. My thoughts so far are that the X2 does some things better than the stock nude but of course you lose the versatility of the twin lock. The stock nude tune is as good as that shock can get. I think Scott nailed the tune and for a shock that has little custom setup options it's great because you don't need to dick with it. The X2 on the other hand gives you a lot of custom tuning options to set the bike up to your personal preference but will for sure require a decent amount of time invested to setup.

The things I have noticed with the X2 is that it is more composed on really big hits, it feels a little more consistent on long fast rocky trail and of course you can make a lot of small adjustments to cater to your personal preference / trail which you cannot do with the stock shock. The X2 also allows you to run a normal dropper lever below the bars which is not a big deal but I would put that in the plus column. Where the X2 is at a disadvantage is that you do need to run a little less sag to have an overall really nice pedaling platform than you do with the twin lock so you do sacrifice some of the plushness that you can get with the stock nude shock in its descend mode. Where I was able to run about 33% sag with the stock shock because the traction mode would firm it up enough when climbing the X2 I have to run at about 28% sag to have a nice firm pedaling platform at all times. Another down side to the X2 on this bike is that you cannot run the climb switch on the X2 as there is not enough room for the lever to rotate once the shock is mounted. I usually do not use the lockout on X2's but for those that would this is a no go. Another small note is that you have to run the full 3 spacers on the X2 to get it to feel right with this bike. Just like the stock nude shock you have to load it up.

Overall I think there are advantages and disadvantages so far with running the X2. I think the stock shock is perfect for most that would ride this bike but I also feel that the X2 definitely is a good option for some. Once I feel that I have the setup as good as it can get I will decide if I will keep it on or not but so far it's looking very promising. The X2 paired with a Grip2 damper in the fork has been a lot of fun to ride.
    Thanks for the honest review. I don't usually use a climb switch but I was wondering if there was enough room to hook up the aftermarket remote for the X2. Sounds like no as I think it's quite a bit bigger than the climb switch. If I build up a "DH" ransom I'll probably go this route!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Photo of the climb switch side?
    I rotated the switch lever to allow for more clearance. Ideally you would want to just get this shock without the switch or remove it as it's really just in the way and has no use. I almost forgot the other negative to the X2 is that you cannot access the HSC / LSC adjustments without removing the shock.

2019 Scott Ransom-1e95de7d-e332-461d-97c2-e039adc092c6.jpg

mtbr member
    I rotated the switch lever to allow for more clearance. Ideally you would want to just get this shock without the switch or remove it as it's really just in the way and has no use. I almost forgot the other negative to the X2 is that you cannot access the HSC / LSC adjustments without removing the shock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E95DE7D-E332-461D-97C2-E039ADC092C6.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	1230833
    Thanks.. Ouch!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    YO! Nice bike. I have the 910 on it's way. Does the FIT fork really throw the front end off that much, or is it that the Grip2 is just that much better? I'm considering a full new Grip2 fork opposed to just the damper and then selling the FIT. But..I haven't ridden the FIT at all on the trail. I probably have too much waiting time on my hands, but figured I'd ask since you posted this up. Thanks!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    YO! Nice bike. I have the 910 on it's way. Does the FIT fork really throw the front end off that much, or is it that the Grip2 is just that much better? I'm considering a full new Grip2 fork opposed to just the damper and then selling the FIT. But..I haven't ridden the FIT at all on the trail. I probably have too much waiting time on my hands, but figured I'd ask since you posted this up. Thanks!
    Fit4 is a good setup the Grip2 is just great. There is a noticeable difference between the two. Also I think locking out or reducing travel in the fork is not needed on a bike like this at anytime.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What are the odds that Push is going to configure one that fits this that also has a nice little switch that is accessible for the 120 mode?

mtbr member
    May 2012

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E95DE7D-E332-461D-97C2-E039ADC092C6.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	1230833
    Thanks for sharing. That is the input I've been waiting for considering the purchase of new Ransom. Running the shock upside-down with piggyback up is a no-go, I guess? Did you try to fit it that way?

For me personally, it would be unfortunately a deal breaker if I could not use the climb switch on X2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Svobodarider View Post
    Thanks for sharing. That is the input I've been waiting for considering the purchase of new Ransom. Running the shock upside-down with piggyback up is a no-go, I guess? Did you try to fit it that way?

For me personally, it would be unfortunately a deal breaker if I could not use the climb switch on X2.
    If you havenít tried the stock Nude TR youíre doing yourself a huge disservice. IMO based on rom3nís review the Nude is the way to go. I donít see any reason to swap the rear shock at this point and Iím using the bike as an enduro race bike. Donít believe the hype that you ďneedĒ a reservoir shock. The Nude is not a DPS... So far it hasnít come close to feeling overheated on 2000í descents.

I doubt push comes out with an 11-6 for the bike just because the twin lock on the rear shock is the highlight. In order to get 120 mode you need the Nude TR and twinlock which closes an air chamber inside the shock.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member

The trunnion shock can only mount one way so having the lockout on an X2 is out. The X2 I don't think is a better overall option from the stock nude shock it's just an option that could be better for the right person and gives the option to run the bike without the twinlock. If you want to keep the bike a great do it all machine I would stick with the stock shock and the twinlock as it does everything really well and would climb better than the X2 with the lockout engaged. If you want to build a rowdy DH orientated machine and sacrifice some pedaling efficiency on your climbs the X2 works really well on this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The fact that Roman has finally kept a bike from more than 3 weeks tells me that the Ransom is an amazing bicycle. Seriously, if you don't know this guy has owned almost every modern super bike made. 20+ in the 3 years I've known him.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    The fact that Roman has finally kept a bike from more than 3 weeks tells me that the Ransom is an amazing bicycle. Seriously, if you don't know this guy has owned almost every modern super bike made. 20+ in the 3 years I've known him.

Oh man... Iíve had 6 in the last 2 years. Iím glad Iím not local to him where he would rub off on me lol.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Your absolutely right!!

mtbr member

Now that I start to count I have had a lot of bikes this past few years There are a lot of really nice bikes out right now but yah the Ransom might be my favorite do everything bike. Unlike some of the new breed of enduro bikes it's not overly aggressive in it's geo requiring you to really change your riding style to get the most out of it and it checks a lot of boxes. I would give a few bikes the nod over it for a specific task but one bike to do it all I feel it's really tops. The only other bikes I currently plan to keep or add to my stable is the Ripmo, updated Hightower LT and the V10 29" which I have on order

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried a 27.5+ wheelset on the Ransom yet? Will a 3.0 fit?

Any pics of the Ransom in plus form?

fraid of heights
    The only other bikes I currently plan to keep or add to my stable is the Ripmo, updated Hightower LT and the V10 29" which I have on order
    Curious as to what the LT and ripmo do that your keeping them along with the Ransom. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Curious as to what the LT and ripmo do that your keeping them along with the Ransom. Thanks!
    I like the latest nomad and bronson suspension and I like the current HTLT so I really want to try the updated HTLT when it gets released. The Ripmo is just a really good bike for most trails as it accelerates really well, has good geo and is pretty agile, it's another bike that fits me well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I like the latest nomad and bronson suspension and I like the current HTLT so I really want to try the updated HTLT when it gets released. The Ripmo is just a really good bike for most trails as it accelerates really well, has good geo and is pretty agile, it's another bike that fits me well.
    Do you have any info when the new HTLT should be released? Along with Firebird 29 (already tested) and Ransom (hopefully to be test ridden soon) it is one of the possible options for my 2019 steed, but the release date is a big question for me. Found couple comments talking about May 2019, but on the other hand one of the SC dealers in Europe told me he did not hear anything about updated HTLT (while he confirmed the release of other three new SC models by that time). So I am not sure if there is just some more strict information embargo for HTLT or all the info on forums is simply gossip.

mtbr member
    Do you have any info when the new HTLT should be released? Along with Firebird 29 (already tested) and Ransom (hopefully to be test ridden soon) it is one of the possible options for my 2019 steed, but the release date is a big question for me. Found couple comments talking about May 2019, but on the other hand one of the SC dealers in Europe told me he did not hear anything about updated HTLT (while he confirmed the release of other three new SC models by that time). So I am not sure if there is just some more strict information embargo for HTLT or all the info on forums is simply gossip.
    Itís coming, Iím going to guess by spring but nobody knows for sure.

mtbr member
    2nd place in Vitalís bike of the year behind the Commencal supreme 29 DH bike! (And in front of yeti)
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    2nd place in Vitalís bike of the year behind the Commencal supreme 29 DH bike! (And in front of yeti)
    Nice! Ordering my Ransom as soon as my SB 5.5 sells (if it ever does)!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This bike sounds great, but no ISCG tabs...... bummer!!! That would have probably sealed the deal for me. Has anyone found this to be a miss, or no?

mtbr member
    It's funny how people are always surprised that I like my Ransom more than a lot of other bikes I have had.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I've seen the 2650 gram figure quoted everywhere for the 900 tuned although I haven't seen what size frame that is associated with.

I've only seen a frame weight for the 910 mentioned once on a youtube video at 3050 grams.

If those are the same size frames that seems like quite a bit more - I'm used to the carbon version being 0.8-1 lb (360g) lighter than an aluminum version. Supposedly the 910 uses the same front section and alloy rear, not sure about the rocker link. Therefore I would expect the 910 frame to be more like 200-250 grams heavier, not 400 grams.

Anyone seen any other weight figures published for these bikes ?

Really leaning towards the 910 as I don't intend to use hardly any of the stock parts and I sort of like the idea of aluminum rear section. Not sure if the weight penalty is worth it though and the 910 inventory is actually smaller than the 900 inventory.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The only other bikes I currently plan to keep or add to my stable is the Ripmo, updated Hightower LT and the V10 29" which I have on order
    Are you the same size in the Ripmo and Ransom? Large Ripmo fits me absolutely perfectly at 5í10Ē and Iím in between M and L on the Ransom sizing chart.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93TilInfinity View Post
    Are you the same size in the Ripmo and Ransom? Large Ripmo fits me absolutely perfectly at 5í10Ē and Iím in between M and L on the Ransom sizing chart.

Thanks!
    Yes same on both med @ 5í8. Ransom does not feel big like some bike with longer reach so I would guess large for you if you like the large Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Thanks!
    I'm 5'10" also and demoed both m and l, and ended up getting the large, it fits me perfectly

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Are any Ransom owners switching between 27.5 and 29 wheels for different situations/conditions/experiences/feel? What's your preferred wheel size for the terrain you're riding?

I'm asking because I'm picking up my 920 this week. I've only demo'd the Trek Slash 8 and Remedy 8 after spending 1.5 years on a cheap XC 29er. I loved the feel of the big wheeled Slash 8 for it's monster truck inspiring confidence and ability to steam roll over everything, but loved the Remedy 8 for it's agility, playfulness and overall fun factor, so I wanted to buy a single bike that could take both wheel sizes.

Is anyone running the Ransom with 27.5 for play fullness/fun-factor? I'm hoping when I order some 27.5 wheels it will be as play full and fun as the Remedy 8.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With the Pressfit BB, what BB would work with a pair of Raceface Next SL 68/72 spindle cranks? Never had a pressfit and dont know squat about DUB. Thx

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lick The Stamp View Post
    Are any Ransom owners switching between 27.5 and 29 wheels for different situations/conditions/experiences/feel? What's your preferred wheel size for the terrain you're riding?

I'm asking because I'm picking up my 920 this week. I've only demo'd the Trek Slash 8 and Remedy 8 after spending 1.5 years on a cheap XC 29er. I loved the feel of the big wheeled Slash 8 for it's monster truck inspiring confidence and ability to steam roll over everything, but loved the Remedy 8 for it's agility, playfulness and overall fun factor, so I wanted to buy a single bike that could take both wheel sizes.

Is anyone running the Ransom with 27.5 for play fullness/fun-factor? I'm hoping when I order some 27.5 wheels it will be as play full and fun as the Remedy 8.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=ZY_FWZ-ydLk

Check out this review. He rides the ransom in both 29 and 27.5. Prefers 29...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
    This bike sounds great, but no ISCG tabs...... bummer!!! That would have probably sealed the deal for me. Has anyone found this to be a miss, or no?
    I have the 910 with only a few rides on it, but I went right for the meat and potatoes on my 2nd ride to test it out and it performed great. I'm not a fan of the Syncros wheels. They were super noodley for me, but I've been on very stiff carbon wheels for years...so couldve just been me. Bike itself is all its advertised thus far!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    for those that have switched the fit4 damper out to the grip2 effectively making it a single loc instead of twin loc...do you keep the loc levers in the same place or do you move them somewhere else? if you have kept them in the same place are you able to get used to where the loc and dropper post levers are?

Paste eater
    Perhaps a silly question but I don't know much about Scott. As I understand it, the twin lock limits the travel on the fork as well. I do not find value in this. If it is removed, can one still manually (read twist a knob) low speed and high speed compression?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    for those that have switched the fit4 damper out to the grip2 effectively making it a single loc instead of twin loc...do you keep the loc levers in the same place or do you move them somewhere else? if you have kept them in the same place are you able to get used to where the loc and dropper post levers are?
    Yes it stays the same and you adapt very quickly, at least I did anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Perhaps a silly question but I don't know much about Scott. As I understand it, the twin lock limits the travel on the fork as well. I do not find value in this. If it is removed, can one still manually (read twist a knob) low speed and high speed compression?
    It's best to replace the damper with the new Grip2 if you go this route. The stock Scott fit4 twin lock damper does not have normal manual controls on the top. You will only have the open mode "firmer / softer" controls. The 3 pre set settings open, med, firm you usually have on that fork is not available with this setup. If you remove the twin lock from the stock fork it will just stay in the open position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Is anyone here 5'6"? If so what size are you riding? I am thinking of switching from my S/M Orbea Rallon because that bike feels too big for me and can be hard to weight properly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yes it stays the same and you adapt very quickly, at least I did anyways.

It's best to replace the damper with the new Grip2 if you go this route. The stock Scott fit4 twin lock damper does not have normal manual controls on the top. You will only have the open mode "firmer / softer" controls. The 3 pre set settings open, med, firm you usually have on that fork is not available with this setup. If you remove the twin lock from the stock fork it will just stay in the open position.
    Roman, what our your thoughts on the ripmo vs. the ransom...?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'm really interested in the ripmo as well. I through a leg over the gx model 2 weeks ago and it seems like the bike for me. Excellent geometry for climbing and descending which is what I'm looking for. I also like they have a 7 year warranty on the frame. I wasn't able to ride it but from being on it in the store everything just seemed right. Due to the geometry I would actually feel better on a large frame vs medium although I'm 5'7". I'm interested if anyone else has had some time on the ripmo and the ransom for comparison.

mtbr member
    Roman, what our your thoughts on the ripmo vs. the ransom...?
    I like the Ripmo a lot as a trail bike but I find in really technical rocky terrain it takes well executed line choices to keep it composed. The Ripmo accelerates really well and I think it is an agile bike that is easy to control. On the right trails I think the Ripmo is a serious weapon. The Ransom does not accelerate quite as well or is quite as agile but in exchange it soaks up small chatter, corners at high speed and handles big rocky descents and big drops better. What makes the Ransom really special IMO is that you can have a 170mm bike that can climb and pedal quite well via the twinlock. I have yet to find a 170mm bike that can adapt like the ransom when needed and out of the box the rear shock tune is dialed. You have 130-150mm bikes that can compete with the ransom on more mellow trail and climbing and maybe some of those bikes are a little better in one area or the next but those bikes cannot begin to match it on the descents. I did just order the new YT Jeffsy and im looking forward to see how it compares to the Ripmo as the two bikes on paper share a lot of things I like for that class of bike.

It really comes down to what you are going to be doing with the bike. If you are going to ride somewhat flow trails that have a lot of flat sections, XC rides with long seated climbs and you are not worried about blasting rock gardens at high speed or hitting big drops the Ransom might be overkill. If you need a bike that can go do the big boy trails and occasional bike park but you don't want to be punished on your more average trails the Ransom can go out and do anything you need it to really well. It has a rare combination of being that big, slack, long travel bike that does not always have to ride like one. A bike that does always feel like a big, long, slack bike unless you are at high speed is a bike like the Yeti SB150. That bike pedals and climbs straight up really well but unlike the ransom you are constantly reminded what it was built to do when you are not hard charging with it at speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Would you say that the ransom climbs better than the sb130 in traction mode?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I like the Ripmo a lot as a trail bike but I find in really technical rocky terrain it takes well executed line choices to keep it composed. The Ripmo accelerates really well and I think it is an agile bike that is easy to control. On the right trails I think the Ripmo is a serious weapon. The Ransom does not accelerate quite as well or is quite as agile but in exchange it soaks up small chatter, corners at high speed and handles big rocky descents and big drops better. What makes the Ransom really special IMO is that you can have a 170mm bike that can climb and pedal quite well via the twinlock. I have yet to find a 170mm bike that can adapt like the ransom when needed and out of the box the rear shock tune is dialed. You have 130-150mm bikes that can compete with the ransom on more mellow trail and climbing and maybe some of those bikes are a little better in one area or the next but those bikes cannot begin to match it on the descents. I did just order the new YT Jeffsy and im looking forward to see how it compares to the Ripmo as the two bikes on paper share a lot of things I like for that class of bike.

It really comes down to what you are going to be doing with the bike. If you are going to ride somewhat flow trails that have a lot of flat sections, XC rides with long seated climbs and you are not worried about blasting rock gardens at high speed or hitting big drops the Ransom might be overkill. If you need a bike that can go do the big boy trails and occasional bike park but you don't want to be punished on your more average trails the Ransom can go out and do anything you need it to really well. It has a rare combination of being that big, slack, long travel bike that does not always have to ride like one. A bike that does always feel like a big, long, slack bike unless you are at high speed is a bike like the Yeti SB150. That bike pedals and climbs straight up really well but unlike the ransom you are constantly reminded what it was built to do when you are not hard charging with it at speed.
    Start a Youtube channel and review bikes IMO. You're giving great insight on the top bikes in the hottest segment right now. You'd kill it.

mtbr member
    Would you say that the ransom climbs better than the sb130 in traction mode?
    I think its a better climber of technical rocky sections due to the higher BB and better traction. I could see scenarios where the 130 could be a little more efficient on certain terrain but I have had no issues climbing with the Ransom.

mtbr member
    Start a Youtube channel and review bikes IMO. You're giving great insight on the top bikes in the hottest segment right now. You'd kill it.
    Hah thats a lot of work, I have trouble keeping up with my Instagram account =)

mtbr member
    Itís coming, Iím going to guess by spring but nobody knows for sure.
    My guess would be an announcement for the Andes Pacifico race the 3rd week of February. I could see the SC guys wanting to unveil the bike there and then be ready for EWS NZ
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my ransom 910 is at the shop, got to go pay for it and pick it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    my ransom 910 is at the shop, got to go pay for it and pick it up.
    How long did you have to wait? I'm still waiting on my Tuned Ransom

mtbr member
    So I picked up my 920 and have so far been riding it for a week. I'm smashing my strava PB's on every single ride. Having come from a cheap entry level 29er hardtail it's great to finally have a bike where I'm now the limiting factor.

One of the biggest surprises for me about the bike is the twin loc. Having demo'd a Slash 8 and Remedy 8 I really wanted a bike that was efficient at pedaling and didn't bob all over the place when hammering the power down. I was a little skeptical about the added complexity of the system and the additional clutter, but I'm glad I chose the Ransom over the Treks. The twin loc makes it so efficient during climbing, that I'm often switching between fully locked out and traction mode depending on the terrain. When it comes to bombing it down hill the ability to briefly lock it out during smoother/flatter sections and not sap efficiency when pedaling is amazing.

With all that being said, my hardtail 29er didn't even have a dropper post, so I'm still learning to raise/lower the dropper in certain sections of a trail along with the twin loc.

Now the only thing I need to complete my first serious bike purchase is a set of 27.5 wheels.

2019 Scott Ransom-img_6492.jpg
    2019 Scott Ransom-img_6494.jpg
    2019 Scott Ransom-img_6497.jpg

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried a 27.5+ wheelset on the Ransom yet? Will a 3.0 fit?

Any pics of the Ransom in plus form?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Has anyone tried the Ransom with a coil shock? If so, which one and how did it feel?
    PS: Yeah, I know I would lose the TwinLock feature and that the stock Nude shock works great

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ransom won The Loam Wolf's Bike of the Year!

Review: Scott Ransom - Bike of the Year - The Loam Wolf

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Has anyone tried the Ransom with a coil shock? If so, which one and how did it feel?
    PS: Yeah, I know I would lose the TwinLock feature and that the stock Nude shock works great
    Yes an experienced rider gave a complete review of using the X2 coil shock in this very thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    Yes an experienced rider gave a complete review of using the X2 coil shock in this very thread.
    X2 is an air shock not a coil

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewartzach401 View Post
    How long did you have to wait? I'm still waiting on my Tuned Ransom
    couple of days, actually came in to soon for me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty2019 View Post
    Check out Fox's site, it says "X2" in big white distinct letters on both the Float X2 and the DHX2. It's correct to refer to both as "X2" according to what's on the side of the shock...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Check out Fox's site, it says "X2" in big white distinct letters on both the Float X2 and the DHX2. It's correct to refer to both as "X2" according to what's on the side of the shock...
    Is that relevant to the DPX2 also because even that has the X2 lettering in a different colour on the Fox website.

In general terms for most people an X2 shock is an air shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You know what my bad - I read all of that review above of the X2 and the whole time my brain was thinking he was reviewing a coil shock despite the photographs. Now I am just as curious as you, I'd love to see someone report back on a coil shock on this bike. I haven't heard anything about what the leverage ratio is on this thing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You know what my bad - I read all of that review above of the X2 and the whole time my brain was thinking he was reviewing a coil shock despite the photographs. Now I am just as curious as you, I'd love to see someone report back on a coil shock on this bike. I haven't heard anything about what the leverage ratio is on this thing.
    Yeah, I am really curious as well. Scott says it is progressive enough for a coil shock, so that might really make Ransom a beast. DHX2 is probably out of the game, as there is no trunion in that size available yet (and one could not use the climb switch as Rom3n described for the case of Float X2), but the CCDB offers a properly sized trunion shock and its climb switch seems to be better placed than on the Fox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yeah I'm the same, super keen to hear about how it works with a coil and would love to see the leverage rate of the back end. I've narrowed my choice of next bike to the Ransom or the new long travel 29er from Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah I'm the same, super keen to hear about how it works with a coil and would love to see the leverage rate of the back end. I've narrowed my choice of next bike to the Ransom or the new long travel 29er from Santa Cruz.
    Haha, same in here. Impatiently waiting for what Santa Cruz releases in next couple months in terms of a Hightower LT successor. We will see... By the end of March/beginning of April I am ordering either that or Ransom.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Im thinking about pulling the plug on a ransom 910. Seems like most have gone with the 900 tuned. I have a lot of parts I would pull off my current bike so it doesnt seem worth spending the extra $2k+ for the 900, when I'm gonna swap a lot of stuff anyways. My only reluctance is that I wont be getting the full carbon frame. Wondering how much the alum swingarm effects the weight/cost. Anyone ridden both and noticed a difference. I also love the color of the 910 vs the 900, and dont love the look of kashima.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    See my comment above - the only numbers I've seen thrown around are 2650g vs 3050g. That seems like a big difference for just a swingarm (and a rocker link ? ).
    My spreadsheet of frame weights says a carbon frame is usually about 360-400 grams lighter than its full alloy counterpart. So maybe those numbers I am quoting are for the 900 frame vs the full alloy frame, but in the you tube video where they were quoted they were clearly talking about the 910 frame so who knows. I think I saw those weight numbers quoted in print one time as well but I can't find it now.

mtbr member
    Late response but thinking about doing something similar with one of the alloy models...none of the dh bikes that my current shop's brands make fit me well. The 500mm reach of the XL with a 190f/170r travel combo sounds like a lot of fun...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Finally picked up my Tuned Ransom yesterday after work only to get it home and find a frame ding already. Not happy at all but my LBS is taking care of me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Scott Ransom-57059532039__60879503-57f4-461d-93ab-cf43d68ebb9a.jpg  

2019 Scott Ransom-img_4137.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longroadtonowhere View Post
    Im thinking about pulling the plug on a ransom 910. Seems like most have gone with the 900 tuned. I have a lot of parts I would pull off my current bike so it doesnt seem worth spending the extra $2k+ for the 900, when I'm gonna swap a lot of stuff anyways. My only reluctance is that I wont be getting the full carbon frame. Wondering how much the alum swingarm effects the weight/cost. Anyone ridden both and noticed a difference. I also love the color of the 910 vs the 900, and dont love the look of kashima.
    The 910 is by far the best value. The alloy rear end is only 30 grams heavier than the carbon. There is no difference in ride quality. They feel identical aside from brakes and shifter.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeMartell View Post
    Late response but thinking about doing something similar with one of the alloy models...none of the dh bikes that my current shop's brands make fit me well. The 500mm reach of the XL with a 190f/170r travel combo sounds like a lot of fun...
    The 29Ē gambler prototype looks a lot like a ransom with a DH fork...
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The alloy rear end is only 30 grams heavier than the carbon.
    I assume you meant 300 grams.

The numbers I've seen quoted are that the 910 is 400 grams heavier overall (3050 vs 2650) . Perhaps some of that is the rocker link ?

Where did you get that 300 gram number from ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    The 29Ē gambler prototype looks a lot like a ransom with a DH fork...
    Vincent Tupin runs a DH fork on his Ransom. I bet its awesome. I have not seen the Gambler proto yet.

mtbr member
    I assume you meant 300 grams.

The numbers I've seen quoted are that the 910 is 400 grams heavier overall (3050 vs 2650) . Perhaps some of that is the rocker link ?

Where did you get that 300 gram number from ?
    No, 30... 3-0. Minuscule. Thatís why the 910 is so underhyped. The weight difference is in the GX cassette and alloy cranks. My numbers come from the Scott rep and the fact that everyone on my race team has a Ransom 🤪 a900ís and 910ís. IMO the 910 color is much better and even better in person!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewartzach401 View Post
    Vincent Tupin runs a DH fork on his Ransom. I bet its awesome. I have not seen the Gambler proto yet.
    Yep there was a PB article recently with it. Didnít have a HPP and I canít see them going away from that. Maybe just an interim bike until the gambler geometry catches up with a full redesign.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    No, 30... 3-0. Minuscule. Thatís why the 910 is so underhyped. The weight difference is in the GX cassette and alloy cranks. My numbers come from the Scott rep and the fact that everyone on my race team has a Ransom 浪 a900ís and 910ís. IMO the 910 color is much better and even better in person!
    Was set to finally order a 910 as that seemed like where the most value was and they are out of stock until May in XL. Good news is Iím getting upgraded to the tuned model for a really good price. The bronze/brown 910 does look nice in person. But lucky for me I also really like orange bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    Was set to finally order a 910 as that seemed like where the most value was and they are out of stock until May in XL. Good news is Iím getting upgraded to the tuned model for a really good price. The bronze/brown 910 does look nice in person. But lucky for me I also really like orange bikes!
    SWEET!!!!! Funny enough when I got mine (also XL) there were also no 910's only 900's so that's what I ended up with. Maybe they aren't as under hyped as I thought. For the value it's ridiculous what you get!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Here's a request no one may know the answer to...

Max seat post insertion for an XL ransom frame. Think there's 290mm there?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    SWEET!!!!! Funny enough when I got mine (also XL) there were also no 910's only 900's so that's what I ended up with. Maybe they aren't as under hyped as I thought. For the value it's ridiculous what you get!
    Ya, the hype is catching up to it now. Seen a couple out in the wild. Also won the loam wolfís bike of the year as well as Pinkbikeís winner in the super enduro bike shootout to add to the glowing review of vital mtb and bike magís top LT 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No, 30... 3-0. Minuscule. Thatís why the 910 is so underhyped. The weight difference is in the GX cassette and alloy cranks. My numbers come from the Scott rep and the fact that everyone on my race team has a Ransom 浪 a900ís and 910ís. IMO the 910 color is much better and even better in person!
    This is confusing me. First of all I was talking pure frame weights. The 910 has the alloy chain/seat stays yes ? So there must be some difference in frame weight. The GX cassette and alloy cranks are total bike weight. I don't remember the numbers but the bikes are listed as about 1.4 lbs difference. I mean think about it, there can't be just a 30 gram difference between the frames unless they are the same frame and the 30 grams is because of different paint. That would be great if true I'd love the have the full carbon frame at the 910 price, I'm going to swap out every component anyway and I too prefer the understated brown.

Edit: Oh I went back and read more above. You are saying the alloy chainstays only add 30 grams to the frame. Still hard to believe but that makes more sense. Doesn't jibe with the 3050 910 frame weight I've heard quoted or what I've seen in the past for alloy vs carbon rear ends but at least I get what you are saying now.

mtbr member
    This is confusing me. First of all I was talking pure frame weights. The 910 has the alloy chain/seat stays yes ? So there must be some difference in frame weight. The GX cassette and alloy cranks are total bike weight. I don't remember the numbers but the bikes are listed as about 1.4 lbs difference. I mean think about it, there can't be just a 30 gram difference between the frames unless they are the same frame and the 30 grams is because of different paint. That would be great if true I'd love the have the full carbon frame at the 910 price, I'm going to swap out every component anyway and I too prefer the understated brown.

Edit: Oh I went back and read more above. You are saying the alloy chainstays only add 30 grams to the frame. Still hard to believe but that makes more sense. Doesn't jibe with the 3050 910 frame weight I've heard quoted or what I've seen in the past for alloy vs carbon rear ends but at least I get what you are saying now.
    The local Scott rep is a friend of mine, last I talked to him about it he told me there was only a 30g difference between the alloy and carbon rear triangles but I haven't weighed them myself. I'm on an XL and everyone I know with a 910 is on a L. I would assume the carbon rear end is really burly though so maybe not all that surprising.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's excellent to know, thank you. I actually kind of prefer alloy stays anyway as that is the part of the bike I tend to damage the most often.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm putting my carbon cranks on my XL 910 and my carbon wheels so we'll see what weight diff it makes. But....the bike delivers for sure! I dont have any DH runs to shout about on it yet due to snow...but it feels buttery smooth!

mtbr member
    I'm putting my carbon cranks on my XL 910 and my carbon wheels so we'll see what weight diff it makes. But....the bike delivers for sure! I dont have any DH runs to shout about on it yet due to snow...but it feels buttery smooth!
    sweet definitely interested to hear, I thought you were on a large!
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thatís what stood out to me when I test rode one, just how smooth this bike is at any speed. You really canít unsettle it. It also carries that speed really well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was gonna get a Large but none available so I went XL. Glad I did. Perfect fit with 33mm stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    for those that are switching out the fit4 damper for the grip2..do you have the part # for just the grip2 damper or do you have to buy the whole new grip2 fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Itís just the damper. Replaces the fit4 damper. Drops right in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was gonna get a Large but none available so I went XL. Glad I did. Perfect fit with 33mm stem.
    How tall are you? Iím 6í1Ē and was thinking of going with a 40mm stem instead of the stock 50 on the XL. But this was when I was looking at the 910. Swapping to a 40mm on the 900 is a pricey endeavor.

mtbr member
    for those that are switching out the fit4 damper for the grip2..do you have the part # for just the grip2 damper or do you have to buy the whole new grip2 fork?
    Yep just the damper. You'll need a chamferless 32 and 28mm socket, ptfe fluid, fox fluid and new crush washers. Takes about 15 minutes if you've done a lower service before, if not there's some good youtube videos out there. I wouldn't pay to have it done unless a shop would do it for free with purchase. While you're in there pop out the negative air chamber on the other side and clean out all the extra slick honey that's in there from the factory. It will greatly improve the feel as well.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1976 View Post
    How tall are you? Iím 6í1Ē and was thinking of going with a 40mm stem instead of the stock 50 on the XL. But this was when I was looking at the 910. Swapping to a 40mm on the 900 is a pricey endeavor.
    I'm 6' 1/4" and didn't have issue on an XL with the stock 50mm setup. I'm switching to a 32mm as well though to get a little more upright after having some pretty serious unrelated back issues. The stock 900 combo setup is 50mm length and 15 rise. I'm going to 35mm rise bars and 32mm stem. I'd try it first if you haven't yet, it feels shorter than 50mm stock but it may be an illusion.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yep just the damper. You'll need a chamferless 32 and 28mm socket, ptfe fluid, fox fluid and new crush washers. Takes about 15 minutes if you've done a lower service before. While you're in there pop out the negative air chamber on the other side and clean out all the extra slick honey that's in there from the factory. It will greatly improve the feel as well.
    Thatís good advice. I couldnít believe how much slick honey was on the air side. Basically filled the negative air chamber on my 36. High speed chatter was just awful.

Iíll try the stock bar/stem. Bike shop might be willing to work with me on a replacement if it feels a bit long. Iíll be a little more stretched out when seated vs my current bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    If anyone is looking for a 900 tuned in XL let me know. Shoreline Cycle world in WI has one on display.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yep just the damper. You'll need a chamferless 32 and 28mm socket, ptfe fluid, fox fluid and new crush washers. Takes about 15 minutes if you've done a lower service before, if not there's some good youtube videos out there. I wouldn't pay to have it done unless a shop would do it for free with purchase. While you're in there pop out the negative air chamber on the other side and clean out all the extra slick honey that's in there from the factory. It will greatly improve the feel as well.
    Do you have the correct part # for the new grip2 damper? I am on fox's website and i am having trouble finding a part # for it...it is possible i am looking in the wrong area but i can't seem to find any part #'s save for the whole fork part # which i don't need.

edit: part# is 820-08-379-kit
    Last edited by ironpeddler; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:49 AM.

mtbr member
    I was gonna go with the ripmo but after reading all this stuff on the ransom, I think this is the bike for me. Gonna go see what the lbs can do for me with the ransom 910 and let's see if there are XL's. I'd hate to wait months for a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If your LBS doesn't have a 910 XL in stock you are going to have to wait until late April. They are out of stock until then...

mtbr member
    If you're in the Denver area I may know of a few shops...
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you're in the Denver area I may know of a few shops...
    can you share? i am looking for xl, genius though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    can you share? i am looking for xl, genius though.
    Sent you a PM
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    minion front and rear is the best tire combo or the minion front and aggressor rear combo would be better?

mtbr member
    minion front and rear is the best tire combo or the minion front and aggressor rear combo would be better?
    depends on where, what, and how you're riding. For a good rolling do it all the aggressor in the rear or Minion SS is good. For full DH stuff I like a DHRII/DHF combo. If I'm not climbing a lot lately I've ran 2.5 DHFs front and back and been real happy.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    New dropper and bar/stem on my Tuned 900. 2019 Scott Ransom-fullsizeoutput_591d.jpg

Love this bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Rides_MTB View Post
    New dropper and bar/stem on my Tuned 900. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_591d.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	1237488

Love this bike!
    Can you give is a quick review? Maybe bewteen another bike and this one?

No one is willing to demo a ransom..Not even a M or a L let alone a XL. How can the lbs expect me to shell out 5k or whatever if I can't demo it? Arghh

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No one is willing to demo a ransom..Not even a M or a L let alone a XL. How can the lbs expect me to shell out 5k or whatever if I can't demo it? Arghh
    That's the problem with a hot bike. Basically the only demo options seems to be hooking up with the demo van as it travels around to different festivals. Via a PinkBike comment I got a list of a few places they will be but there doesn't seem to be an official calendar posted anywhere although you could probably email scott sports and get some info. I find festival demos to be less than ideal as there is a short time limit and the trails may be crowded or unfamiliar. I have found a demo isn't a lot of use to me if I can't get it out for 2+ hours on trails I'm familiar with. And I realize to do so I am most likely going to need to pay a $100 or similar rental fee.

But even that would be a dream - my local Scott dealers don't even plan on having one on the floor so I can't even sit on one or check it out. The dealer did sell one and I asked if he would be willing to put me in touch with the buyer but they never called me back so either it didn't work out or the dealer doesn't care enough to make the effort.

Note I live near Seattle, with a giant and thriving MTB community, its not like I'm expecting some tiny bike shop in eastern MT to have one on the floor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Duffman1976 I'm actually right at 6' tall. I like bigger bikes though as I hate feeling cramped. With the 33m Renthal stem it's about as perfect as I can get. Anvil has a 40mm and 32mm stem as well...about $80. I have the Anvil on another bike and love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I've got a XL Tuned Ransom 700 for sale with less than 25 miles on it. Awesome bike I would just prefer to have a Large. PM me if interested.

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast