Why is there no info on the newer Superlights?!?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upset Why is there no info on the newer Superlights?!?!

Went to local LBS to look at getting a FS bike as I have been really getting into mtn biking. Bike shop employee recommended the superlight as the best build they had for 2k and under. They are a SC, kona, and specialized dealer. I cannot seem to find any information on the superlight past year 2011-2012 or so. Even the "superlight love" thread in here looks like it ended in 2011. Has the bike really been stagnant for the past 5 years? There seems to be a lot of info on the other SC models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What info are you looking for that is not on SC's website?

It's a rather entry level FS bike, but it is a sweet bike for the price. Basically the single pivot version of the wonderful Tallboy. I really like the 2016 blue as well. For $450 more on the R version you can be on the aluminum Tallboy and I think that is its biggest hit. The D version though at $2k is a fantastic bike.

SS Pusher Man
    Santa Cruz Superlight

It is right there in black and white.....or actually Blue and White for this year.

An yes, they really haven't done anything with it since it shifted to the 29" wheels. Aside from color changes and new parts groups, it is pretty much the same bike.

It has become the XC budget bike with SC to offset the AM budget Heckler. Single Pivot bikes don't really change.

It is a solid bike. Rides well. Inexpensive. Simple to set up. At $2000 really not all that superlight anymore....but can be made lighter with better parts.

So yes, all the reviews that you read about the Superlight 29 or 27.5...is the latest info.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    I am curious what people think about the more recent bike as I cannot find any info newer than 3 years old. Has the bike not changed in a while? I am also looking at specialized camber, and giant and trek bikes in the 2k price range and come up short on info for the superlight.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by lucahemi View Post
    I am curious what people think about the more recent bike as I cannot find any info newer than 3 years old. Has the bike not changed in a while? I am also looking at specialized camber, and giant and trek bikes in the 2k price range and come up short on info for the superlight.
    The frame has not changed since they moved up to the bigger wheel size...in 2012.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    They haven't update the Superlight in 3 years, just colors and parts. Outside of the Fuel EX 5, the superlight is the only bike out of those I'd consider...

And I'd take the 2016 Fuel EX 5 over the superlight, the 16 geometry on the Fuel EX 29ers is spot on. Now move up to $2800 price range and I'd be on a SC Tallboy, but the new Fuels are sweet. If looking at a 2015 Fuel, I'd take the superlight.

mtbr member
    The Superlight hasnt changed much since in the last few years besides updating the rear axle and headtube diameter. The reviews from the last couple of years still hold true, and they offer the bike in two wheel sizes depending on rider size. Its a great bike, pedals great, super durable and easy to maintain. My wife rides a medium 2014 Blue SL with 650b wheels, has put over 1000 dirt miles on it in 1.5 years and the thing performs like it did out of the box with the smallest amount of maintenance.