What length stem are you running on your Tallboy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

What length stem are you running on your Tallboy?

I'm going to some wider, flatter bars on my Tallboy (Renthal Fat Bar, 10mm rise and 780mm wide but likely to cut them down to somewhere between 700 and 730) and am thinking of upgrading the stem next. In general it seems like lots of folks running have found shorter stems work best with wider bars, just curious what people have found works for them on their Tallboys.

FWIW I'm 6'4", 235lbs and riding an XL Tallboy A - DXC.

Thanks!

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    My medium TB came with a 100mm stem. My LBS said a 80mm was best for me and it works great.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm using the Easton haven stem 70mm with the Easton haven carbon bars 711mm wide, so they are a bit wider than the EC70 bar that came with the bike that was 685 mm. I find that it makes the bike really responsive or twitchy. To me that is a good thing because it will do what I want quickly, its more racey of a feel. It took a bit of learning as I was used to a 100mm stem, which was much slower in response. The stem has a zero degree rise and with the 120mm Fox fork works great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The stock 90mm stem that came on it is working great for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Don't cut your bars yet. I know it's the trend, but it's happening for a reason. I'm running 745mm on my trail bike and wish they were a tiny bit wider. Tried to ride my other bike with 710mm on them this week. Way too narrow. Once you go wide, you can't go back.
    It's not about your height, it's about you arm length. My wife's bike has 740mm and she loves them and they look right when you watch her ride with her monkey arms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Currently running the stock 90mm, 6 degree rise with a recently installed ec70 flat wide bar. With a 120 mm reba, it's been great. Going to try a shorter stem, maybe a 75mm? ea90 stem with 0 degree rise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6' tall with a long torso and arms, riding a large Tallboy with a 90mm 10* rise stem and a Easton Haven 711mm wide bar.
    Seems to be working.

Not smart enough to shift
    6' with long arms and legs. I'm on a large frame with a 70mm Thompson stem and Havoc carbon bars at 750mm wide.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

SS Pusher Man
    6' / 32" inseam

Large Frame

90mm x -6 Sunline XC-1

780mm low rise Crank Bros. Sage bars
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by buildyourown View Post
    Don't cut your bars yet. I know it's the trend, but it's happening for a reason. I'm running 745mm on my trail bike and wish they were a tiny bit wider. Tried to ride my other bike with 710mm on them this week. Way too narrow. Once you go wide, you can't go back.
    It's not about your height, it's about you arm length. My wife's bike has 740mm and she loves them and they look right when you watch her ride with her monkey arms.
    Good point, I definitely plan on running them at 780mm for awhile before I decide for sure whether or not to trim them. Have read what I can find on this and does seem like more and more people are running 750mm or more. I'm just excited to get the bars because I do feel a bit cramped with the stock ea30's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Similar set-up to you. 6'5 on an XXL TB carbon. 800 Enve carbon bars DH cut to 760. 90 stem, with lots of spacers. TB has a short head tube.

Try the bars before you cut them. The length you have is close, if not perfect. 75 stem was great for DH/trail, but the front wandered on climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    70mm. Haven't tried other lengths as 70mm works perfectly for me. Reach feels spot on and more importantly I get no back pain.

Combined with Easton Haven Carbon 710mm Lo Rise bars. Would like to try wider bars but I wouldn't fit down some of my best trails if I did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This 6'4 100mm stem. AL TB XL.

Leg Shaver
    70mm Syntace

It took me a long time to get that short. Handling best for me at this length. Surprising it suits me better climbing as well. Slow technical isnt as twitchey and I am able to keep a better line. I was a bit old school hard core xc and Roadie guy thinking i needed to be stretched out etc.

I went from 110 to 90 to 70.

Spent some cash getting there though.

its just better descending and I can get over the front of the big wheel and commit to front end. Before I was pushing the front a lot.

still doesn't help me counter or manual like on a 26 though
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

Members who have read this thread: 3