water bottle mount for bullit?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    125

    water bottle mount for bullit?

    Anybody figure a way to do this? I already have a camelback, but my intention is to use one of those lighting systems that use a bottle shaped battery.

    I don't want to drill/tap the frame though. I suppose that's unavoidable.

    Anybody figure this out?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robsetsfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_T
    Anybody figure a way to do this? I already have a camelback, but my intention is to use one of those lighting systems that use a bottle shaped battery.

    I don't want to drill/tap the frame though. I suppose that's unavoidable.

    Anybody figure this out?
    The local Performance store sells a velcro-on H2O cage that is used on frames that don't have a mount. You can try hanging this from the top tube. Probably just as good as battery mounts that velcro on. I tried finding them on their online site, but I couldn't... I know they have them there though... at least locally.

    I would try to avoid drilling the frame, because you would need to have a way to put an insert into the aluminum since tapping the frame itself may not be a permanent solution.

  3. #3
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,739
    If you have a double crown fork, add those extra water bottle clamp mounts to the upper stanction.

    In this pic, you can sort of see my bottle battery set up.


  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    125
    right, thanks for the reminder about aluminum
    helicoil would be a logical choice, although the thickness of the aluminum wall is probably only enough for 2 threads maybe 3 at machine thickness.

    some sort of "drywall" screw then heh?

    I only have a single crown marz... velcro seems like an easy solution *smacks forehead*

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    804

    riv nuts are what you need

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_T
    right, thanks for the reminder about aluminum
    helicoil would be a logical choice, although the thickness of the aluminum wall is probably only enough for 2 threads maybe 3 at machine thickness.

    some sort of "drywall" screw then heh?

    I only have a single crown marz... velcro seems like an easy solution *smacks forehead*
    Take a look at a water bottle mount on any other bike - there is more to it than just "drill a hole and cut some threads". Do a search for "riv nut", or "rivet nut", this is what you need if you plan on drilling and installing a mount on your frame. You are thinking on the right track with the "some sort of drywall screw" idea. LBS probably carries riv nuts behind the counter. Or try: this.

  6. #6
    Whoaohohohoh
    Guest
    What year is your bullit, the newer ones have a water bottle mout on the downtube. Also you could get helment mounted lights and put the battery in your backpack.

  7. #7
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Heck, even a '99 had them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoaohohohoh
    What year is your bullit, the newer ones have a water bottle mout on the downtube. Also you could get helment mounted lights and put the battery in your backpack.
    Yeah, my first year Bullit has them on the downtube. Wouldn't be a great place for an actual drinking water bottle but a battery would be fine.

  8. #8
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,739
    I wouldn't want to run an expensive battery in that vunerable of a location.

  9. #9
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    Or underwater,

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    I wouldn't want to run an expensive battery in that vunerable of a location.
    Eh, Craig? Man, you must really wanna ride to go submarining in that stuff. My hat's off to ya.

Similar Threads

  1. Need second water bottle cage
    By Pauly Junior in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 05:43 PM
  2. Heckler/DHX or 5th coil and water bottle cage...
    By dumper in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 08:18 PM
  3. water bottle bolts
    By rapid tourist in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 12:45 PM
  4. Where are the NorCal rides next Sunday (the 16th)?
    By Finch Platte in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 06:05 PM
  5. alternative water bottle mounting
    By Motivated in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 11:53 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.