Using SRAM Type 2 rear derailleur with VPP suspension- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Using SRAM Type 2 rear derailleur with VPP suspension

I'm curious how people are doing using a SRAM Type 2 rear derailleur with Santa Cruz's VPP suspension, and the Blur TRc in particular. I'm building up a TRc for my wife and she really wants the grip shifter, while I really want the type 2 derailleur to minimize chainslap on the carbon frame. However, I've been reading some reports of the Type 2 derailleur causing problems on suspension when the chain length increases when the suspension moves through its travel. Does anyone have any experience?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I ran a type 2 all last season on my TRc w/ no problems just nice quiet chain management.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Glad to hear it. How did you determine the correct chain length? I've heard to add two extra links to the chain for VPP suspensions - does this sound right to you?

NMBP
    I had to go with a long cage for my X9 22-36 double set up to work properly. I did try using the medium cage, but ran into problems with the chain possibly rubbing the bottom of the chain stay while in the 22t. It may have been fine with a 24t or 26t.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I had to go with a long cage for my X9 22-36 double set up to work properly. I did try using the medium cage, but ran into problems with the chain possibly rubbing the bottom of the chain stay while in the 22t. It may have been fine with a 24t or 26t.
    Interesting. I'll be running a Shimano crankset with a 24/32 setup so a mid-length cage should be more than adequate. I gather your problem was simply the line from the bottom of the derailleur cage to the bottom of the small chainring?

mtbr member
    1x10 with mid-length Sram Type 2 on a TRc
    1x10 with small length Sram Type 2 on a Tallboy
    No problems, works great.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Yep, 1x10 on a TRc. Short cage x.9 typeII.

When setting it up, I just cycled the suspension without the shock in the frame to figure out how short/long my chain needed to be.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks everyone - lots of good info here. I just need the parts to arrive so that I can get this bike built up

NMBP
    Yeah, with the smaller 22t ring, it was too close. My shop took care of it for me, but they showed me what it looked like and either suggested going with the long cage, or switching to a 24t or 26t, but I didn't want to give up the 22! I think you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah, with the smaller 22t ring, it was too close. My shop took care of it for me, but they showed me what it looked like and either suggested going with the long cage, or switching to a 24t or 26t, but I didn't want to give up the 22! I think you will be fine.
    This bike is for my wife. I'm not telling her that she's losing the 22t ring, but I also know that she is gaining the 36T in the back. It should be mostly a wash for her.

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm whether this is an issue with the aluminum Blur LT 2.2?
    I want to run an X9 36-22 crankset with a medium cage X9 T2 rear derailleur.

I already ordered everything but currently the medium X9 T2 is on backorder while the long cage is in stock. So if medium is not going to work anyway, I can change my order...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The type-2 medium x9 derailleur can only handle 35 links of chain, maybe 36. You have 36-22 = 14 in front and so it would only work with a 32-11 cassette in back. 32-11=21. 21+14=35 total links. A 34-11 or 36-11 cassette would be too many links for medium cage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast View Post
    The type-2 medium x9 derailleur can only handle 35 links of chain, maybe 36. You have 36-22 = 14 in front and so it would only work with a 32-11 cassette in back. 32-11=21. 21+14=35 total links. A 34-11 or 36-11 cassette would be too many links for medium cage.
    Thanks for your response. I did the math and a medium cage can still be used except when using the small chainring with the smallest two cogs, gears that make no sense and won't be used anyway.

My question concerns the chain possibly rubbing the chainstay on a Blur LT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Type 2 medium cage x9 with grip shift is a problem on my tallboy. Non stop clicking everytime the suspension compresses. Loud, not very clean shifts. There is a lot of trail noise while running over small bump stuff. I hate mine. I wish Sram would be upfront about these issues.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaskrap View Post
    Type 2 medium cage x9 with grip shift is a problem on my tallboy. Non stop clicking everytime the suspension compresses. Loud, not very clean shifts. There is a lot of trail noise while running over small bump stuff. I hate mine. I wish Sram would be upfront about these issues.
    Whats the rest of your drivetrain setup?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    x0 10spd grip shift, 1x10 with xt cassette. 32 up front 11-36 in the back.

I'm going to take it apart tonight to see if i can adjust the clutch.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    thomaskrap, did you follow the chain cutting setup to the "T". suspension fully compressed and then add 2 links? the only reason I ask is because me type 2 on my Nomad worked much better (AKA perfectly) after I changed my chain setup to this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    thomaskrap, did you follow the chain cutting setup to the "T". suspension fully compressed and then add 2 links? the only reason I ask is because me type 2 on my Nomad worked much better (AKA perfectly) after I changed my chain setup to this.
    Does this mean that the VPP chain length grows when moving through its travel? I forgot to compress the suspension when I determined the chain length but my wife hasn't had any problems so far. Of course, she's primarily using the small chain ring up front so that is certainly going to be more forgiving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes it does. The two added links lessens the angular displacement of the cage with respect to chain length change due to suspension travel.
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I fixed the knocking and shifting issues. I probably voided my warranty but now it works flawlessly.

Solution:

Lift plastic bit covering the clutch internals. I used a razor blade around the edges and finished it with a flathead screw driver. I wasn't able to put it back on, but that's okay, it's purely cosmetic anyway. Unscrew the Torx screw and remove completely. Loosen the internal allen nut found holding the arm/clutch together. Put a few drops of Triflow between derailleur cage plate and derailleur body. You should instantly feel a difference. I put a drop of triflow inside the clutch as well. Tighten internal allen until things feel right in terms of the friction. I kept moving the derailleur arm back and forth until things felt good. The Torx screw should also add additional tension to the clutch. Use loctite and tighten the Torx down until the tension feels good. I tensioned mine a little bit under the "breaking point". Now my derailleur has no knock, the clutch has smooth action while staying tight and it also shifts a million times better. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    Glad to hear it. How did you determine the correct chain length? I've heard to add two extra links to the chain for VPP suspensions - does this sound right to you?
    I know this is an old thread but thought I'd add my findings - 2014 Tallboy LT: needs at least 1 extra link to the standard calculation value(s) - chain growth is so extensive, that standard length streches the chain at full extension. This means 1) suspension travel is incomplete due to chain tension, and 2) chain life will suffer as a result of regular "streching" when travel causes the chain to reach its limit.

Members who have read this thread: 0