Up in the air on a new fork for my Nomad, advice welcomed...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Up in the air on a new fork for my Nomad, advice welcomed...

Here's the quick lowdown. Just got a new Nomad on warranty from SCB, and I got one with a 1.5 headtube. I got a Cane Creek Double Xc stepdown headset so I can run a 1 1/8th fork.

I am on my third Lyrik from Rock Shox, and it's bushings are already loose. I am looking at getting a Marz 66 RC3, but what steer tube size would be better in the long run?

If I go 1 1/8th, I just buy the fork, no big deal.

If I got 1.5, I have to buy the conversion kit for the headset, and a new stem. Stem options are limited I think so far (I currently run a 70mm Thomson X4 stem). BUT I'd be able to use the advantages of the larger headtube. But what about resell value?

I am looking for a used 66 RC2X, but can't find one with a long enough steer tube (I need 8.75").

Any thoughts or suggestions? Advice? At a loss if I go this route.

mtbr member
    I would go with the 66RC2X, I love mine. If you go with the 1.5 you can go with the new Thomson 1.5 stem. I went with the 1 1/8 because I wanted the new King 1.5 head set.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I'd be all over an RC2x if I could fine one reasonably, but all I have found is them at wheelworld.com for $855 or something, and one locally that's still $650.

I am kicking myself in the ass for not picking one up when Jenson had them on closeout.

HIKE!
    Look at the 1.5 Fox 36 models, too. Shipping now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    Look at the 1.5 Fox 36 models, too. Shipping now.

I already tried an 08 36 Vanilla, no dice.

I am running a King ISO hub with Hope Mono M4 brakes (183 rotor), and for some reason the post mounts on the lowers are located so far inboard that I can't center my caliper over the rotor. The rotor clears it though.

Another member on here ran the same set up (Hope/Fox/King) and had to file away some of the post mount to get his setup to work. I didn't want to do that, so it's not an option for me. I wish it woudl have worked, I would have loved to have that Vanilla.

HIKE!
    huh, I've got King ISO on an 2008 Fox 36, easily clears Saint calipers running a 180mm rotor. And works fine with the Mavic Crossmax SX. Tons of room. Same goes for Avid Juicy 7 and aforementioned wheels. May be a Hope deal?

Got A Lust for Life...
    So, I am gathering that is a 1.5 headset that allows you to run 1 1/8 forks?
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    So, I am gathering that is a 1.5 headset that allows you to run 1 1/8 forks?

Currently, yes, see here: http://www.canecreek.com/double-xc-headset.html But you can buy a conversion kit from CC that replaces basically everything but the bearing cups so you can run a 1.5 steer tube. Easily convertible should you want to switch b/w two different forks that have different steer tubes. Pretty trick actually, if you need it. I just bought it because CC makes great stuff and their customer service is great. Not to mention the headset's bombproof.

Sparrow, as for it being a Hope issue, it could very well be, which would suck b/c I love my Mono M4's. I know when I called Hope to ask about my issues, they first thing the tech asked before I could tell him my exact set up was "Your running a King Hub aren't you?" Chad at Red Barn also told me he has heard of issues with the Fox/King/Hope combos.

Getting new brakes is a solution I suppose, but I just haven't found any brakes I like enough to switch. Def not Juicy's or Hayes, although I haven't tried any Formulas.
    Last edited by rscecil007; 11-28-2007 at 07:39 AM.

HIKE!
    Another headset option (pricey) is the King 1.5. It also can run 1 1/8 steerers with available adapters.

I'd just run with your idea of picking up a Marzocchi, knowing it'll work with your hub/brakes. The 1.5 steerer seemed silly to me at first, but riding on a Nomad 1.5 with a 1.5 Fox 36 for a few weeks now, it looks "normal" and 1 1/8 bikes look skinny! Odd perception change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    Another headset option (pricey) is the King 1.5. It also can run 1 1/8 steerers with available adapters.

I'd just run with your idea of picking up a Marzocchi, knowing it'll work with your hub/brakes. The 1.5 steerer seemed silly to me at first, but riding on a Nomad 1.5 with a 1.5 Fox 36 for a few weeks now, it looks "normal" and 1 1/8 bikes look skinny! Odd perception change.
    True, it seems almost a mistake to buy a new fork and not go 1.5 since I have that option.

HIKE!
    Well, the 1.5 could be argued to be a solution looking for a problem! You'll hear that, no doubt. I do like looking down on my 1.5 set up on my Nomad as I hurtle all 210+ lbs of me down some rocky trail. Rides well, could be come *the* size for 6" travel and up bikes/forks. But if not, no big deal. I don't keep bikes that long anyway!

Lord of the Chainrings
    1.5" head tube........Why?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd

No idea really. The 1 1/8th was overbuilt anyway. I guess they did it b/c some people were pushing their Nomads so far anyway.

But they were out of 1 1/8th frames when mine was warrantied, so 1.5 was my only option.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Hey 9-18 Fast.....dude, is that the new aluminum "S-man" headbadge?
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

TNC
    noMAD man

frame not fork

Mudd, the main advantage of 1.5 frames has allegedly turned out to be the strength of the headtube and not so much an issue of fork failure like was first thought to be the benefit. Headtube integrity and resistance to ovalizing at the headset interface are supposed to be the main issues...at least that's what I've heard at this point. I guess it makes some sense for really abusive use like true FR big drops, jumps, etc. The 1.125" steerer long travel single crown forks have shown to be quite durable for most of us, as you well know. I guess the 1.5 design might allow even bigger single crown forks in the future.

Regardless, I guess it can never hurt to have every frame go to 1.5, as it will have no real effect on which fork you can use.

mtbr member
    Hey 9-18 Fast.....dude, is that the new aluminum "S-man" headbadge?
    WHY YES IT IS!!!! Veeeeeeeery Nicccccccce!!!!

I fix choppers

witch Lyrik?

Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007
    I am on my third Lyrik from Rock Shox, and it's bushings are already loose.
    So which model (Solo Air, 2-step, U-turn) Lyrik is this thats been giving you so much grief? I am (was?) seriously considering getting the U-turn model, but I am curious to know if it has some bugs. I know a couple of people that have the U-turn Lyriks that swear by them and I rode one and really liked it too. There sure aren't many used one's around right now for a good price.

mtbr member
    1st one was Coil U-turn - loose bushings and creaky crown
    2nd was a loaner Solo Air - loose bushings
    3rd one (brand new replacement for 1st coil) - loose bushing in right leg after one ride

The fork really feels good, and I really wanted to like it. I just can't deal with the problems anymore.

I have a lead on an 06 Marz 66 RC2X I am going to try to pick up, that should solve my problems, as long as my brakes and hubs work and it's not the Fox all over again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get the 1 1/8. You won't have to get a new headset/stem and later down the road, much better resell value.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    may i ask why you had to warranty the nomad in the first place?

Jun 2006
    Is that a Marz Roco on the rear? 8.75 or 8.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    may i ask why you had to warranty the nomad in the first place?
    My original frame wouldn't hold the headset preload at all, every few rides,sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes more, it would come loose and play would show up.

The inside of the stee rtube where it is reinforced looked to be milled off center a bit, as there was more material on the drive side than the non drive side.

I tried two different stems (both Thomson), blew up two Cane Creek Solos lower bearing cups, and had two different forks on there. The problem persisted through all of these.

SCB was very cool about it. They couldn't find anything wrong with the the frame, as all their tests showed everything aligned correctly. But they said if I replaced everything I said I did, then it could very well be the frame and something odd they couldn't detect.

They had my frame less than 5 hours from the time it was delivered until the time it was replaced (front triangle only), and back on the truck to me.

Cool thing was although they didn't replace the rear triangle, they gave me all new bearings and the latest swing links as well. And that's why I will buy another Santa Cruz.

Outcast
    I'd be all over an RC2x if I could fine one reasonably, but all I have found is them at wheelworld.com for $855 or something, and one locally that's still $650.

I am kicking myself in the ass for not picking one up when Jenson had them on closeout.
    Ryan, I rechecked the length of my steer tube, it's still 7.8 inches long. What about this; what if you called marz., and asked them how much it would cost for them to press in a new steer tube? Add that amount to the price I told you for my fork, and see if that still fits in your budget.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Ryan, I rechecked the length of my steer tube, it's still 7.8 inches long. What about this; what if you called marz., and asked them how much it would cost for them to press in a new steer tube? Add that amount to the price I told you for my fork, and see if that still fits in your budget.
    Had to do that on an older 66 (due to bending it, not too short). Price was ~$90 all in (including shipping back to me).

Having owned both, I'm a fan of the 1.5" steerer tube on longer singlecrowns. Maybe it's just my perception, but the 1.5 was rock solid and had very little flex.

EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Rene, I just found a fellow mtbr'r who lives about 45 min away with an 06 in super good condtion that I am going to pick up.

Thanks though, I appreciate it. If this falls through for any reason I will let you know.

mtbr member
    yes its a Roco 8.5 X 2.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Come one guys...I cant believe people are still asking about this, the main reason why I WENT from regular to 1.5 was to be able to run a flush headset and keep the front end as low as possible...If you look out there MOST not to say every company's new bikes are either 1.5 or run an integrated headset.

PLus 1.5 gives you the possibilities to run ANY forks you want...My as a 26 on it but I've tried Nomad with different Totems and I can say that the 1.5 Totem was quite a bit stiffer..

mtbr member

Loose bushings?

1st one was Coil U-turn - loose bushings and creaky crown
    2nd was a loaner Solo Air - loose bushings
    3rd one (brand new replacement for 1st coil) - loose bushing in right leg after one ride

The fork really feels good, and I really wanted to like it. I just can't deal with the problems anymore.

I have a lead on an 06 Marz 66 RC2X I am going to try to pick up, that should solve my problems, as long as my brakes and hubs work and it's not the Fox all over again.
    So does this Solo Air have loose bushings? Just checking as if it does, its going back as well. I'm going to put it on a demo Nomad for next spring and I need it to be in good shape. Which fork did you end up finding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    So does this Solo Air have loose bushings? Just checking as if it does, its going back as well. I'm going to put it on a demo Nomad for next spring and I need it to be in good shape. Which fork did you end up finding?

Yes, that's the one with loose bushings. I swore I told you that in an email, if I didn't, sorry!
    I didn't notice it until the few rides before I took it off.

I still haven't found a fork yet, still looking. The 06 RC2X that I found locally fell through (no fault of the owner, he didn't know HSC knob on th bottom of the leg had broken off), so I am still looking for one somewhere. Hopefully one will turn on up ebay or something sooner or later.

I would buy Renegade's but honestly I don't want to bother with putting a new steerer tube on it.

And I will wait and see how the 08 RC3's do before I jump on one of those.

mtbr member

bottom?

Yes, that's the one with loose bushings. I swore I told you that in an email, if I didn't, sorry!
    I didn't notice it until the few rides before I took it off.

I still haven't found a fork yet, still looking. The 06 RC2X that I found locally fell through (no fault of the owner, he didn't know HSC knob on th bottom of the leg had broken off), so I am still looking for one somewhere. Hopefully one will turn on up ebay or something sooner or later.

I would buy Renegade's but honestly I don't want to bother with putting a new steerer tube on it.

And I will wait and see how the 08 RC3's do before I jump on one of those.
    Do you mean the bottom knob on the 06 Zoke 66 forks? If so, thats not normally broken, they just fall off. We had several fall off and Zoke had a big problem with that.

No problem on the bushings, I'm sending it into RS for repair then, there is no need of that. Seems as though you've had some seriously bad luck on this stuff, drop me an email and I'll see if I can't set you up with something 08.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Do you mean the bottom knob on the 06 Zoke 66 forks? If so, thats not normally broken, they just fall off. We had several fall off and Zoke had a big problem with that.
    With my friends it's been about 50/50 if the knob is missing. Half just had it fall off, the other half sheared the shaft. It's too exposed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    With my friends it's been about 50/50 if the knob is missing. Half just had it fall off, the other half sheared the shaft. It's too exposed.
    That's what happened to this one, it just sheared off.

TNC
    noMAD man
    That compression knob looked too exposed and fragile on my '06 66SL, and even with the knob removed, the end of the cart sticks out a good deal. I pulled the knob off and shielded the end of the cartridge with a piece of heavy duty automotive fuel line and a hose clamp. You can still access the adjuster if so desired. I can see where trail obstacles and rocks have contacted that piece of rubber. Maybe the knob and cartridge end would still be there, but I'd hate to find out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let's RIDE!

Nice mod on the 66...

I have the 66 Light and a rock happened to remove my adjuster

@ $160 for a new cartridge I was a little upset... I was able to salvage the cartridge and milled a small slit into to it to use a slotted screw driver to still adjust the fork's settings.
    Nomad is my d.o.c.

mtbr member
    huh....

I have an '07 66 ATA recently rebuilt w/ full uncut steer tube (I don't cut em' anymore)... love that fork, but wanting to trade it for a FOX- straight up even trade... why? going with a 650B set-up... Fox clears where Marz don't...

need at least 160mm travel on an AIR fork, thru-axle only considered.. need 8.25" of steer tube at least.

any takers?

the 66 is white with black stanchions, some rub marks- perfect working order.. never hit bottom once... takes a while to dial, but once done? perfection... I just really want to try the 650B on a bullit...All I am waiting on is Sunrims to release the 27E rim to build... but I can go ahead and trade forks now...

Last edited by drewactual; 06-18-2008 at 02:42 PM.

7MGTE
    SCB was very cool about it. They couldn't find anything wrong with the the frame, as all their tests showed everything aligned correctly. But they said if I replaced everything I said I did, then it could very well be the frame and something odd they couldn't detect.

They had my frame less than 5 hours from the time it was delivered until the time it was replaced (front triangle only), and back on the truck to me.

Cool thing was although they didn't replace the rear triangle, they gave me all new bearings and the latest swing links as well. And that's why I will buy another Santa Cruz.
    So why are you selling the Nomad to get an RFX?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    So why are you selling the Nomad to get an RFX?
    Good grief man, where did you dig that post up, that was months ago.

Fit issues. My old Nomad had th 24" top tube, fit me almost perfect. The warrantied one has the new geo with a 23.3" top tube. Way to cramped for me. I like running shorter stems, so the only way to get it to fit is with a longer stem, and I am not willing to do that. And I am also running a setback post as well.

The old one felt like an extension of me. This one doesn't, no matter how I set up the stems/seatposts, etc.

7MGTE
    Good grief man, where did you dig that post up, that was months ago.
    Wow that was quick

I thought you posted this w/in the last 24 hrs
    Thanks for all the responses guys, I have decided to go for an RFX, and just posted a wanted ad in the classifieds for an 07 or 08!

Fit issues. My old Nomad had th 24" top tube, fit me almost perfect. The warrantied one has the new geo with a 23.3" top tube. Way to cramped for me. I like running shorter stems, so the only way to get it to fit is with a longer stem, and I am not willing to do that. And I am also running a setback post as well.

The old one felt like an extension of me. This one doesn't, no matter how I set up the stems/seatposts, etc.

Its all good man if she does not fit as good what can you do?

I was going to get an 07/08 RFX myself I rented a Nomad in Moab and it was over after that. That bike fit me perfect and I got a better deal on the SC than the Turner. Also I like a smaller bike and the Nomad was smaller than the RFX so I went with the Nomad.

Members who have read this thread: 0