tell me about my new (used) Heckler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

tell me about my new (used) Heckler

Just scored this off eBay. Bike was exactly as described but the shop that packed it did a poor job--didn't even put anything in the fork to protect it! Only obvious issue is that the front rotor needs to be trued up so I will take it to a shop. I used to work as a shop wrench but am a total newb when it comes to full suspension and disc brakes. So anything you guys can tell me about suspension setup for this (front and rear) would be great. Also, what do you guys know about these Hayes brakes? I'm 150 pounds and I know this bike is overkill for me but I thought it would be fun. I'm in the Northwest with a ton of roots. I know I will buy tires once I figure out what to get. Also need to get the torque spec on those carbon bars. I had been considering getting a new Bantam but the truth is I'm pretty busy so I wanted to figure out how much I'd use it before going whole hog (I ride most days but mostly road--getting to the trails from where I live takes a real time commitment). Thanks for any advice.

Fox Float 130 RLC
    Fox Vanilla RC (500 x 2.30 spring)

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Congrats on the new bike! Looks like a solid build with time tested parts. Take a ride and tell us about it. What have you ridden before? That thing looks bullet proof.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

Ride On
    ^^This^^ Give er a go and let us know! Congrats, it looks like it hasn't been ridden nearly enough!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it's in great shape and has a great parts spec and I love the classic Heckler lines. Gotta sort out the front brake rotor and get new tires before I do much riding. Hopefully this week.

Ride On
    Right on. Make sure your pivot able and pinch bolts are properly installed. Call SC for instruction they are very helpful.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Great looking bike.
    Looks almost new with very little trail time.
    Part spec looks good.
    Suspension components are old, but if the ride time on them is minimal, they may serve you well for a long time.
    The Hayes brakes will still perform well, but they lack much of the refinement of newer brakes. Simple brake to maintain and set up.
    I'd ride it exactly as is for a while after you get the suspension set up to your liking.
    Rotor truing is usually very simple and easy. Take a shot at it yourself.
    Tech Tuesday - Rotor Straightening - Pinkbike
    Technical Tuesday: Suspension Basics - Pinkbike
    Technical Tuesday - Setting Your Sag - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Great looking bike.
    Part spec looks good.
    Suspension components are old, but if the ride time on them is minimal, they may serve you well for a long time.
    The Hayes brakes will still perform well, but they lack much of the refinement of newer brakes. Simple brake to maintain and set up.
    I'd ride it exactly as is for a while after you get the suspension set up to your liking.
    Thanks for the links! Will give it a shot.

What tires do you guys like? Northwest trails with roots, often wet leaves and mud.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    What tires do you guys like? Northwest trails with roots, often wet leaves and mud.
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 folding bead 60a.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Great looking bike.
    Part spec looks good.
    Norman has most of the points nailed down. Might be worth considering a brake upgrade when your pads wear out.

Also, your coil might be too high for your weight. You ought to check this site out:

TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Norman has most of the points nailed down. Might be worth considering a brake upgrade when your pads wear out.

Also, your coil might be too high for your weight. You ought to check this site out:

TF Tuned Shox - Spring Calculator
    I was wondering about that cause the previous owner weighed 190.

mtbr member
    Ok, bike seems to fit and ride great but the brakes are kinda jacked. Dropped it off at the LBS who is gonna install new Deore discs front and rear. Will have it back next week.

Any more tire recommendations?

Thanks!

I fix choppers

Sweet ride...

I am actually am looking to score that version (02-05) frame, having borrowed my friend's son's bike for a race this weekend. It's like coming home as I had '04 that I beat the bejeepers out of. That was killer bike that did it all well. I was less enthusiastic with the subsequent models. What did you pay for it? If you decide you don't like it I will take the frame off yr hands no problem.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    that is a great bike. I've still got my 2006 as backup for my tbltc. it served me well for years!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    I am actually am looking to score that version (02-05) frame, having borrowed my friend's son's bike for a race this weekend. It's like coming home as I had '04 that I beat the bejeepers out of. That was killer bike that did it all well. I was less enthusiastic with the subsequent models. What did you pay for it? If you decide you don't like it I will take the frame off yr hands no problem.
    Got it for $800 which seems reasonable. Seems like it didn't get ridden much and other than the brakes, everything seems to be be in great shape. Really like the beefy look and can't wait to get it out on some trails.

mtbr member
    Ok, FINALLY got out for a ride on some local trails yesterday. I'd done a brief shakedown ride on pavement the week prior after the LBS installed new Deore brakes front and rear. Also installed new WTB Bronson tires. Anyway, bike is pretty much perfect--geometry and fit. And the suspension just feels like cheating after all these years on a hardtail. The rear suspension feels just about right. The fork maybe a bit soft, gonna have to play with that and tire pressure (was riding at 40 pis front and rear). But other than new grips and a saddle not sure what else I'll change at this point. Pretty happy with the way it worked out. Those Deore brakes are awesome (my first time with discs, too).