Tapered fork on 2009 Blur XCc straight steerer tube frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Tapered fork on 2009 Blur XCc straight steerer tube frame

Hi, I want to make my 2009 Blur XCc more trailworthy. I already have a good light tapered Fox F125 that I can lower to 120mm if the headtube can accept a Cane Creek EC44/40 lower cup. It needs a 44mm internal width.

I already send an email to SC. Maybe someone here can answer too.

Thanks!

k^2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    As much as I would like it to work I am afraid it will not work. The bottom of the steerer tube is simply to big to fit into the head tube. I have a similar problem. I would like to replace my 100mm SID world cup XX with the same one but 120mm. However the 120 version of the fork comes only with tapered steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks. I mesured the outside diameter of my headtube at 44mm so inside diameter is too narrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k^2 View Post
    As much as I would like it to work I am afraid it will not work. The bottom of the steerer tube is simply to big to fit into the head tube. I have a similar problem. I would like to replace my 100mm SID world cup XX with the same one but 120mm. However the 120 version of the fork comes only with tapered steerer tube.
    Yeah, but you can get the SID XX in 120mm, 1 1/8", 15QR. Depending on how old your World Cup is, a new XX may not be much heavier.

k^2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Yeah, but you can get the SID XX in 120mm, 1 1/8", 15QR. Depending on how old your World Cup is, a new XX may not be much heavier.
    Yes I am already looking into that. The weight penalty would be around 150 gr.
    Which is a lot for me. It took me lots of effort and $$$ to bring my Blur just under 21lbs.
    However having the bike more trail oriented is also tempting

mtbr member
    I just read today about a Cane Creek headset that can let you use a tapered fork in a straight headtube. Unfortunately, it requires a headset bigger than mine... 44mm or something like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I just read today about a Cane Creek headset that can let you use a tapered fork in a straight headtube. Unfortunately, it requires a headset bigger than mine... 44mm or something like that.
    44mm is the standard for inset headsets (for 1 1/8 steerer forks). Cane Creek realized that they could put an outer bearing on those 44mm headtubes and run 1.5 tapered forks on them and still give people the option of going with a 1 1/8 inset.

Unfortunately this does not hold true for 1 1/8 headtubes like yours. As far as I know (and what others have said) he needs a straight 1 1/8 steerer fork.

For more info on 44mm standard:
    https://www.turnerbikes.com/turner-pdf/canecreek44.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0