Tallboy talk up at interbike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Tallboy talk up at interbike

Tallboy chat up VIDEO

More Torque
    I rode that exact bike from the video yesterday....nice rig.

-D
    Last edited by Diesel~; 10-05-2009 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Diesel~ How about some feed back. I want to get the TallBoy this spring. Down here AKA East Coast. There is No way to Demo that bike. Feed Back would be great. I have a Niner EMD with a Fox F29 15QR 100mm. Thinking about getting the TallBoy Frame. Thanks
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That bike is soooo nice. I also demo-ed it this wknd. Is been a very long time since I wanted to ride XC. And it was truely a great experience. Everytime the hill pointed up, I got excited and rode thru them much better than on a 26" bike. Its very easy to roll it. What a surprise.

The 29 inch wheel soaked up most of the nasty roots and ruts. I can only describe this feeling to riding a full on DH bike thru rough section and not having to worry about flipping over the bar. Well, the 29" wheel does that. It was a very stable and capable decender too. Is no DH bike, but off small 1 foot drops, it was easy to pull off it.

Wheelie ok, hard to manual. But I am not that tall. Bunny hop was a bit hard, but still do-able. Just need to get use to it. Jhop was little bit more challenging. Again, getting use to the bike will help.

Great climber. Really really great climber. I rode much better than I did if I was on my LT2.

No Action photo. Was too busy riding and having fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Loll; 10-05-2009 at 10:05 AM.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970
    Diesel~ How about some feed back. I want to get the TallBoy this spring. Down here AKA East Coast. There is No way to Demo that bike. Feed Back would be great. I have a Niner EMD with a Fox F29 15QR 100mm. Thinking about getting the TallBoy Frame. Thanks
    Sure; I rode it back to back with the BXCC, and my personal ride is a Mojo carbon, set up more on the XC end than the AM end. Pedaling performance is very important to me, so I was interested to see how the revised VPP would stack up against the DW. I would have liked to have ridden the BLTC, but time did not permit. Interestingly, this is the first bike that I've ridden that actually looked like it had the correct proportions for me (@ 6'4"), when factoring in wheel size, seat post extension, etc.

The Tallboy felt light and accelerated well, though this was partially due to the SB8 tires, which are very fast rolling. It is stable, and its large wheels rolled well over the chatter and water ruts very well.

The suspension did well on the climbs, and its reaction to pedaling input was minimal; it also remained active under pedaling. The front wheel was easy to loft over roots and rocks while climbing. I did not get to try it on any super steep, nose of the saddle climbs, so I don't know how much the bike will rock back into its suspension travel in these situations. I'm thinking that it would not be too bad, based upon the medium steepness climbs that I did get to tackle.

One of my complaints about the low compression tune RP23s is that there is almost no discernible difference between the PP settings, though this is not specific to Santa Cruz. It might as well be specced with an RP2 for a reduction in $. I would have liked a firmer PP setting for even more efficiency, though most folks would likely not have the same complaint. I'm not sure how the RockShox stacks up in this regard, and I'd like to try the bike with a FOX RPL.

On singletrack, the bike handled well. It was perhaps a tad slower to respond than the Blur, but less than I expected. It definitely felt more stable and predictable. This could also be partially due to the fact that I rode an XL Blur and an XXL Tallboy (I could go either way in terms of sizing). The singletrack was relatively smooth and flowy, so I did not get a good sense of how the bike would do with the 'thread the needle' type of riding that is needed when there are multiple offset obstacles such small boulders, stumps, etc.

On the faster fire road downhills, the Tallboy was fast, composed, and stable. I would not describe the suspension as being super plush, but it worked well when coupled with the large wheels. Going tubeless would likely help it feel even plusher.

To conclude, the bike struck me as liking to motor quickly and efficiently. It would be a great choice for endurance racing or long days in the saddle...it just goes.

If I were in the market for a new bike, I'd consider it.

Hope this helps,

-D

mtbr member
    Thanks to both of you guys for the great write ups. And yes, both of your reviews helps allot. Looks like this winter. I will be getting a S/C TallBoy. How did the Orange color looked? That is the color I want to get. The Fox RP-23 on the TallBoy is it the same shock like on my 2010 BlurLT2- Fox RP-23 Boost-Valve? Great write up. Both of them.

I'm a "she".
    My husband was there demoing as well. Before Tallboy, his favorite (after having demo'ed a lot of bikes) was Blur LTc, but now, he wants a Tallboy. When I sent him this thread to read, he replied: "I agree with Diesel~'s review. ... And I thought it manualed just fine. I base that on manualing off of obstacles (on the trails) and not in a parking lot. J-Hops not easy since the bike is tall enough that there isn't much room to pull it up. Jumping was a bit strange since the tires hit much sooner than one anticipates."

Another thing was he was told by the Santa Cruz guys that Tallboy was sized a little differently. If he rides a Large Blur LTc, he should ride a Medium Tallboy. After riding a Large and a Medium back to back, he agrees.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

More Torque
    Thanks to both of you guys for the great write ups. And yes, both of your reviews helps allot. Looks like this winter. I will be getting a S/C TallBoy. How did the Orange color looked? That is the color I want to get. The Fox RP-23 on the TallBoy is it the same shock like on my 2010 BlurLT2- Fox RP-23 Boost-Valve? Great write up. Both of them.
    Glad you found some value in the reviews. The orange color looked good in person, as long as you are not going for the understated look. The photo I posted is pretty accurate color wise, though the nude carbon looks better in person than in the photo.

Both the Tallboy and the BLT2 are available with the 2010 RP23BV, and the bike I rode was equipped with this shock. I'm not sure if Santa Cruz specifies a different shock tune from Fox for their different VPP bikes, but if I had to guess, I'd say no, due to the similarities in the suspension designs and the desire to minimize SKUs.

-D

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the info. I have the S/C BlurLT2 c. Just waiting on some stuff. I ordered to complete the bike. Wheels and stem. I have the same shock on my 2010 BlurLT2. I have to say its really great. The best Air rear shock I have ever ridden hands down. The orange TB is the color I am going to get, w/ a black Fox F29 Taper 1.5 15 QR 100mm Fork. Very nice review. Q in the above post mudworm- had said the S/C guys had said with the TallBoy go a size down. I have mediums size BlurLT2 and BlurLT2 c. I thought the smallest size TB was a medium. Any feed back or talk from the S/C guys when you where demoing bikes? Thanks

Nov 2006

My TB Review

Just to add a bit. Mudworm provided my input which is correct. After thinking about it for a day and reading a several hours of reviews of the Tallboy and other 29's.

As a comparison my normal ride is a medium Titus Switchblade ( I need a large).

I did three test rides about 1 hour each. One at Wilder on a large, one at Waterdog on a large, and one at Waterdog on a medium. I will most likely go with the medium and I am just shy of 5'11".

The Waterdog loop had a bit of everything. Some short rocky bit, a real short but steep pitch, a longer but steep pitch with some loose bits, tight switch backs and some tight loose off camber down hill single track. Some rolling single track and one short bit of loose junky rutted downhill.

The TB rolls very nice on fire road. It isn't real quick in the tight single track but it does well. In the loose junky stuff it felt good. I think what Diesel hit on is, it is predictable and stable. I like the way it climbed and handled. I prefer a more stable platform and it is. There is a bit of bob when spinning but it did not bother me. Of course I have been riding Horst Link designs for quite a few years and I have never had a platform shock. The TB isn't real plush or real firm, definitley not quick or twitchy. It did not feel like a 4" travel bike, since it is a bit firm. I did a couple of small jumps and it did fine. I liked it.

To summarize, If you want something real plush, or real responsive then there are other 29's that might make you happier. But, if you want a good all round, light weight, cross country bike that will handle a bit of everything quite well, this just might be it.

Here's to sweat in your eye

More Torque
    Thanks again for the info. I have the S/C BlurLT2 c. Just waiting on some stuff. I ordered to complete the bike. Wheels and stem. I have the same shock on my 2010 BlurLT2. I have to say its really great. The best Air rear shock I have ever ridden hands down. The orange TB is the color I am going to get, w/ a black Fox F29 Taper 1.5 15 QR 100mm Fork. Very nice review. Q in the above post mudworm- had said the S/C guys had said with the TallBoy go a size down. I have mediums size BlurLT2 and BlurLT2 c. I thought the smallest size TB was a medium. Any feed back or talk from the S/C guys when you where demoing bikes? Thanks
    I rode an XL BXC and a XXL Tallboy. The TT length on an XL Tallboy is the same as on the XL Blur. When I first walked up, the SC guys pegged me as an XL, though with a stock 350mm seatpost, it would put me an inch past the minimum insertion. SC guidance was that I could go for a 410 seatpost, no problem. I personally liked the longer reach of the XXL, but I come from an XC background, so I'm used to being stretched out.

It looks like there is only a .5" difference in TT length betwen the Medium BLTc and the Med Tallboy, which is not huge. Since there is no small Tallboy, I would not worry about it; just get the medium.

-D

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode the Medium TB, and I am only 5'8". Felt fine. Sure, it can be a smaller frame, but the 29er tires really smooth danger ruts out enough that on the DH, I didn't even bother lowering the seat. This is a big deal for me b/c I usually ride my BLT2 fully retracted on the downhills.

mtbr member
    You guys are great!!! Thanks again for the great info. Looks like a medium size TB frame then. My medium BlurLT2 fits me like a glove. Where my 2009 NomadMKII size medium. I found the frame a little big for me- AKA stand over HT. Next week I should have my BlurLT2 c all built up. Can't wait to ride it. I got the 2010 Fox 32 Talas RLC 1.5 Taped,150mm 15 QR. Brakes-XT,Drive train-XT, Shifters-XT, Sram- Cass,chain, American Classic All Mountain 15QR wheels, Stem- Thomson, Bars- Easton Carbon Monkeylite DH, Tires- Conti Mountain Kings Protection 2.4, front and rear. Just waiting on ups.

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

The Brown Santa...

...was good to me today

asa
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So I just wanted to make it clear that this is a pre production model and that the "official" production frame will be shipping soon. Please be patient and please don't call SC and bug them, they will kill me!

OMR - Old Man Riding
    I've got the TB on order as I write.... in process of aquiring the various pieces I need for the complete build. Interested in any comments on going with a 120mm Fox. It can be reduced to a 100 mm but not vise versa. It's a small weight penalty but gives you more suspension for an all day trail bike.

Also: whether to go with a 15 mm QR or not. I've run the 20 mm Maxle on my 5.5 and a 9 mm on my Blur Classic XC (love) & Curtlo 29er SS. I don't think I could really tell a whole lot of difference.

OMR
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    I have the Fox 2010 F 29er 100mm 15QR. On my Niner EMD. Love the Fork. Get the 15QR. I to over the winter will be getting a S/C TB. Up in the air about getting the new Fox 2010 F 29er 100mm 15QR Taper 1.5. Love the black color. Or just using the Fork I have and getting the right headset for it. Like I said great Fork. Very happy with it. I would never go back to a 9mm. For me its 15QR for trail or a 20mm for FR and DH. Not that long ago there was one for sale on E/Bay- 2010 Fox F 29er 100mm 15QR for a killer deal $550.00 it came off a new bike. It sold before I could get it.

mtbr member
    John

You should go over to Interbike east at Roger Williams park. I think SC might be there, I guess they were last year.
    Its open to the public today and tommorow.

http://www.interbike.com/outdoordemoeast/

mtbr member
    Thanks, But if its between the interbike or the Sunday group ride. I am going on the Sunday ride. Didn't see you for Thursdays ride. Plus if its the same TB's S/C had at the interbike up in CA. I think the TB's where XL and XXL kinda to big for me. Plus, I rather be riding than being around those TOOLS from Providence bicycle. But thanks for the heads up. Hey, you missed a good 4:30PM Thursdays group ride- NO WATER CROSSINGS!!! this time. The night ride was pretty good lead by AL.M and KURT- THE KING TECHNICAL AKA the black knight. All hail the King!!! Was a good time.
    Last edited by JohnnyG 1970; 10-10-2009 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anybody have a picture of the TB in size XL?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There is one on their blog, the guy holding the bike is 6 foot 6.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/?p=603

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Count_Stylie
    There is one on their blog, the guy holding the bike is 6 foot 6.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/?p=603
    That is impressive - just the fact it all looks so in proportion for such a bit size. (BTW, says its XXL)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We just got our first one in available to sell. Its a large but weighed in at 5.6lbs. Identical to the BLur LTc we have in medium.

Santa Cruz Highball

...In the meantime.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowUFO
    We just got our first one in available to sell. Its a large but weighed in at 5.6lbs. Identical to the BLur LTc we have in medium.

Huh...you got a heavy one, my painted large orange frame was only 5.35 lbs (2428.9 grams) well within the standard of error, but I don't have a good sampling of frame weights on the TB yet.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Must be the tags I left on it. Haha!
    Santa Cruz Highball

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That seems like an awful lot of seatpost, no?

Nice looking rides.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Not to mention the foot of saddle to bar drop.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants

Nice looking rides.
    When you are tall, you get used to having a lot of seatpost showing.

If that were my XL BXCC, I'd definitely swap out the stock Thomson post for a 410mm.

-D

TR
    Angry bunny
    I am tall at 6'3".
    You are slightly taller and I am guessing have along legs.
    That picture is a perfect example of a guy who should be on a 29er instead of perched way up in the air trying to bend his back far enough to get his hands on the bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Medium Tallboy Release Date?

Anybody got any recent info on how SC is coming with the Medium TB? I ordered on back about second week in Dec. and was told end of Jan. then.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Now i am just guessing here but i vote wrong size frame choice tt too short (on both pics so in other pic that's an xxl tallboy and you are showing that much seatpost ???), but at least we have the stretched out and down thing going and thankfully seatpost isn't 27.2. A custom built Lenz could help.

OMR - Old Man Riding

Patiently waiting.....

I emailed Santa Cruz last week and asked about a schedule update for the medium frames. They replied that it looks to be still on track for the end of Jan deliveries...
    Older than Dirt!!!

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    I emailed Santa Cruz last week and asked about a schedule update for the medium frames. They replied that it looks to be still on track for the end of Jan deliveries...

OOOOOOOOOOo.....it's getting closer......can you sense it??????

Mine is at the shop for demo, if anyone want to try it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    Thanks for info. Yes, I am very anxious, and getting more so as this month progresses.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

Members who have read this thread: 0