Tallboy 4 - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,236 of 1236

Thread: Tallboy 4

mtbr member

Tallboy 4

Quote Originally Posted by MaksK View Post
    My thoughts as I was demo'ing the new tb4. I have a tb3 and as much as I wanted to like new one, it felt so different and definitely aimed for going down. The tb3 is awesome for ups & downs ad it feels more playful and wants to pop from every small obstacles. I also feel more "in-the-bike" on tb3 as opposed "on-the-bike" on new one. Both L frames (I am 5.11)

The new Tallboy lost all of its "XCishness". There is now to much of a gap between blur and tallboy now, the blur tr should get the tb3 frame.

Its so different that I would build it as second bike now (with my current tb3) with 140mm Fox 36 Grip2, Reserve 30 wheels, DH brakes & tyres, etc.. It would make sick trail shuttle bike for Alps.
    I was on a TB3 prior to being warrantied to the TB4. I was very skeptical of the new bikes numbers and geometry, aside from the STA. I thought it would be too slack, too long, and too plush. I have 500 miles on it now, vs 4000 on the 3. All my fears were unrealized. The 4 climbs better than the 3. It maintains traction better and has not gotten light/wandery even on very steep climbs. I cleaned a very steep tricky straight up hill climb that I had never cleaned before just last week. Iíve PRd many XC segments on the 4 that I had put many hard efforts on with the 3. I raced the Ashland CES and PRd every segment in Ashland that I put in effort in on.

I think the 3 holds a very slight edge with out of the saddle straight line sprinting. Like a start sprint. Once up to speed the 4 is as efficient as the 3.

The traction/tracking of the rear end on the 4 is amazing. So much less chattery while pedaling while maintaining its efficiency.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Tallboy 4

Quote Originally Posted by Panttaani View Post
    Hey gerard29er, it would be cool if you can share your thoughts after your test rides. Any info would be appreciated
    Meanwhile I have done the testrides the previous weekend.
    It was very close for me between the TREK Fuel EX (in XL with 500mm reach) and the Santa Cruz Tallboy (in XL with 490mm but I would go for the XXL with 515mm reach).
    Also it took me some rides to get used to the Tallboy, after two rides and one ride on the TREK I was not yet convinced on the Tallboy, but partly simply because of the smaller size I guess. Then I did a ride on the Hightower and it was as if it felt bigger/better. I thought this can not be, so then I had to do a third ride on the Tallboy after of course also getting more used to track and paid more attention. The Tallboy was especially climbing and jumping very well and feeling really poppy, which feeling the TREK did not have. Also steep climbs doing standing on the pedals felt great, I actually did not try that the rides before. The steep seat tube angle feels very good and I think it also needs it because it also helps you have more weight towards the front already without having to move much on your saddle. Of course also descending with the slack head tube angle feels very good. But personally I would be helped even more with more reach as the XXL will give.
    To be sure I also did another go on the TREK Fuel EX and wanted also to try climbing standing on the pedals but the TREK really was not inviting me to really do that, also partly because I was a bit more fatigued in the legs but still it was clear the the Fuel EX was less optimal for that.

In the end the confidence especially the XXL will give me, which I think more than an XL TREK, already made me prefer the Tallboy and the way climbing feels even out of the saddle really helps.

But I must say that on very twisty singletrack with the TREK it was so easy to make the turn while with the Tallboy you at least had to work more, looked like with the Tallboy you had to dive lower and drive a bit more aggressively to have it feeling well.

So I am not sure it is bad at very twisty singletrack but at least without adjusting your riding style it is easier with the TREK and for me that difference could become even bigger having the XXL but I will take that risk and still think the Tallboy is also not too bad in quick turns.
    Also spoke to another guy, but also smaller and lighter person, he was also more in favour of the Tallboy but even also because of the way it handled turning in twisty single track, he also mentioned you had to dive more into the turns but that he liked that riding style.
    Just mentioned that because your focus seems to be on slow twisty singletrack.
    Think the Ibis Ripley has similar HTA as the TREK and STA similar to the Tallboy and you always hear how great the Ibis Ripley climbs, my guess would be that it will do twisty singletrack also very well similar to the TREK.

Think the Tallboy is a bit more focussing the descending side and the Fuel EX (and even more the Ripley) bit more on the cross country feel and more forgiving and probably a lot of help for the less experienced riders. Also of course the Fuel EX has a more supple and bigger suspension so it will do the descending more comfortably.
    Well these are more or less my thoughts.

My choice in the end is the XXL Santa Cruz Tallboy.
    Now I just have to decide on the colour, so difficult ;-) Also looking at the pictures the purple can look very good and probably a bit more elegant and neutral while rocksteady yellow is more apparent but still the base colour also has some nice greenish in it which is more or less visible depending on the light.
    Last edited by gerard29er; 1 Week Ago at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks gerard29er! Nice report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    The traction/tracking of the rear end on the 4 is amazing. So much less chattery while pedaling while maintaining its efficiency.
    Interesting. While the frame design does matter, I'm curious, what shocks are on each bike? Is the TB3 shock still stock or has it been tuned?

mtbr member

Tallboy 4

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Interesting. While the frame design does matter, I'm curious, what shocks are on each bike? Is the TB3 shock still stock or has it been tuned?
    Stock on both.

TB 3 fox performance elite
    TB4 fox factory

Both set with sag near 25%

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Could anyone tell me max insert length on a large for a dropper post. About to order a 180 or 210 oneup v2 for my upcoming build but will be a while until frame arrives so I am getting parts for now

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tr1cky_k1d View Post
    Could anyone tell me max insert length on a large for a dropper post. About to order a 180 or 210 oneup v2 for my upcoming build but will be a while until frame arrives so I am getting parts for now
    Not exactly sure on a large, but on the XL, the 210mm One Up post goes all the way in.

One Up has a super short stack height, so if ANY 200+ is gonna fit, it'll probably be the One Up.

That said, it almost feels TOO low. Can't run a small saddlebag anymore, and repeatedly going from fully down to fully standing feels like you're going from squatting on the ground to standing. Never thought there would be a "too low" but this is right on the limit for me.
    Tallboy 4 (coming soon!)
    Hunter CX
    Bontrager Road Lite
    Eisentraut Track

outershelladventure.com

mtbr member

Tallboy 4

Ordered an XL carbon C S-build yesterday. Can anybody tell me are the Reverbs on those bikes next yearís or this yearís models?

This is going to be one looooong winter, as the ETA for my bike is the end of March
    Last edited by Panttaani; 1 Week Ago at 07:20 AM.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsantos View Post
    Not exactly sure on a large, but on the XL, the 210mm One Up post goes all the way in.

One Up has a super short stack height, so if ANY 200+ is gonna fit, it'll probably be the One Up.

That said, it almost feels TOO low. Can't run a small saddlebag anymore, and repeatedly going from fully down to fully standing feels like you're going from squatting on the ground to standing. Never thought there would be a "too low" but this is right on the limit for me.
    I was on the list for a 200mm 9point8 dropper when they first came out and it took awhile to get used to that much drop. I'm 6'4" and feel it's right on the limit of too much drop. I wouldn't want more as the seat is basically gone and sitting on it when all the way down is very low. 150mm posts definitely feel like not enough though.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Finally made a choice on the color so today my plan was to order an XXL Stormbringer Purple Tallboy frame but it turns out the delivery date (for Europe) became unknown :-/ while the xx1 AXS complete build is in stock.
    The Rocksteady Yellow does show one, week 18 2020
    Now trying to see whether maybe Santa Cruz UK has them since I did run into it on the internet.
    Unfortunately I could not make my decision earlier, really needed the testrides first, bit frustrating but lets see if its solvable ...

mtbr member
    Mine is due week 13 2020. I wonder how well the Santa Cruz ETAs hold true? Week 13 would be ok as Iím in Scandinavia but I hope itís not gonna be much longer than that. Preferably sooner

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ordered an XL carbon C S-build yesterday. Can anybody tell me are the Reverbs on those bikes next yearís or this yearís models?

This is going to be one looooong winter, as the ETA for my bike is the end of March
    Was told reverb was this years model.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sure hope it doesn't turn into Ripmo logistics all over again. Waited for 5 months last year....alltough one was almost entirely the bike shops fault.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Tallboy 4

Very nice!
    Well thats at least better than what I got to hear ;-)
    Still looking into other possibilities for example UK but is starting to look like I have to go to the Rocksteady Yellow one and then also be patient until at least week 18.
    Hope I know more soon.

mtbr member

Tallboy 4

All Iím going to say is you owe it to yourself to try the chain stay flip chip in the long position. Changed the bike for the better, up, down, let right and all around! So much more traction on climbing and so much more stable on the downs. Do it! Itís free!!

SC Tallboy 4
    ibis Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks for posting as I was wondering how longer stay would ride

mtbr member
    Unless you have an aluminum frame which does not include the chain stay flip chip.

When I asked SC if 2.6 tires would fit the al frame without the chip (information on the SC website said you had to extend the chain stay with the flip chip to fit the 2.6), they referred me to a drawing which described how to manually change the length so the 2.6 would fit the al frame.

At least I think that is what the schematic was trying to tell me with little lines and drawings all over the place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Tallboy 4

Decision made/changed, I will have an XXL Rocksteady Yellow Tallboy frameset ordered ETA week 18.

Plan was to order a XXL Stormbringer Purple frameset but since Santa Cruz (Europe) currently can not guarantee the delivery I had to make the switch to Rocksteady Yellow. Luckily I had much trouble in deciding on the colour so I can live with switching back
    Unfortunately it does mean it will be a long wait, ETA is week 18 so end of April, at least I hope that still is the case when they order the frameset next tuesday ...
    I am in the luxurious position that I am also keeping my Cannondale Scalpel which through guarantee is now switched into a matte and glossy black Cannondale Scalpel Si (with Sour Apple Chris King hubs), so I think a Rocksteady Yellow Tallboy will go along well I will also make the difference between the bikes a bit bigger, by giving the Scalpel some more racy tires (Swalbe racing ray/ralph), maybe remove the dropper, and the Tallboy some bit beefier Maxxis tires (probably Rekon 2.4 WT and 2.35 Ardent Race).
    I just hope that the Tallboy is not too good and wins everywhere But since I live in the Netherlands I think I can switch between the two often enough. But until April it will be the Cannondale, hopefully soon in April I can go all the way with the Tallboy, really looking forward to it.
    Probably by that time I will ride it with the chainstay flipped to 440 and not sure yet on the other flip/chip, will just start in high.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Tallboy 4

This Is my baby! Frame up.. that's how I roll!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode the TB4 for a couple days in Sedona. Loved it coming from the Hightower LT. The TB lost nothing on descents with shorter travel and surpassed the climbing. The longer geo and HA felt a bit weird but got used to it right away. 👍🏽 btw the purple is really dark even in the sun and almost looks brown when it gets dirty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone know if the alloy frame has iscg tabs? The TB3 alloy didn't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman3371 View Post

Wow, what a beauty! And you already have it, jealous ;-)

mtbr member
    I think that none of the Santa Cruz alloy frames have had ISCG05 tabs since 2013, maybe 2014. sucks.

EDIT: I'm thrilled to be wrong! Looking at a TB4 AL for my son's next bike.

Coffee Drinker
    Yes

Tallboy 4-20191114_092503.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Where did you source those sweet Ti bolts for the brakes and Matchmakers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Iíve got a demo Tallboy v4 CC dor thr next 2 days, shout if you have any questions.

eastman
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Iíve got a demo Tallboy v4 CC dor thr next 2 days, shout if you have any questions.
    Would be great to get your feedback. Also, what's your current ride, TB3?

Enjoy!!! I'm looking forward to a future demo as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    Where did you source those sweet Ti bolts for the brakes and Matchmakers?
    Thanks for the compliments!

Those are the new G2 Ultimates offered with rainbow hardware. I have a small mobile bike repair business and I am a SRAM warranty center. This allows me to be part of the ambassador program with them for my personal bikes. I happened to catch the rainbow hardware brakes on the dealer sheets right as it was released, so I ordered them!

I have a new Hightower as well. These bikes are similar in feeling in the cockpit but pedal much much differently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have a new Hightower as well. These bikes are similar in feeling in the cockpit but pedal much much differently.
    You mean the TB4 pedal better or just differently ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard29er View Post
    Wow, what a beauty! And you already have it, jealous ;-)
    Geez.... what a build. Very nice.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Got tired of pedaling my enduro bike everywhere and I was over hardtails. This thing dropped at the perfect time.

MRP Ribbon, Saint brakes, and real tires w/ inserts. This one goes to 11...might make it to 12 when I get around to putting a real shock on it.

East coast ripper.

EDIT: Also, this bike (and probably all lower linkage bikes) needs moto foam bad. Random stuff like leaves get caught and make noises while riding. It's annoying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy 4-img_0276.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks Taildragger. Is that yours? Would you mind measuring the seat clamp? For the carbon it says 36.4, just wanted to know its the same for the alloy before I order the wrong sized bling

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Coming from a Fuel EX which only had the single mino link to flip for a high/low setting. On the TB4, is it necessary to flip both the lower link flip chip AND the chain stay flip chip to change from high to low?

Coffee Drinker
    Thanks Taildragger. Is that yours? Would you mind measuring the seat clamp? For the carbon it says 36.4, just wanted to know its the same for the alloy before I order the wrong sized bling
    Can't answer that, I'm just playing shop rat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    For what itís worth, my Chameleon alloy used the same size clamp as my carbon Santa Cruz bikes.

Coffee Drinker
    Santa Cruz website says 36.4 for aluminum and carbon Tallboys.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567