Tallboy 4 - Page 12- Mtbr.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 2,201 to 2,279 of 2279

Thread: Tallboy 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Why do some say the Fox 34 seems to be not enough for the TB4? Does the new Grip 2 on the 34 change anything?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It seems I will be having a TB4 frame coming for a warranty replacement. I currently am on a TB3 size large. I am about 5'9'' and would not want a larger bike so I am trying for a Medium with the TB4. I notice the medium comes with a 170 crank, anyone experiment with a 175 crank? Lots of rock strikes? I will also be considering a new fork. Thoughts on a Fox 34 Grip 2 vs Pike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Why do some say the Fox 34 seems to be not enough for the TB4? Does the new Grip 2 on the 34 change anything?
    Chassis flex but whether that's an issue or not depends on the rider. The Grip 2 damper is great though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    It seems I will be having a TB4 frame coming for a warranty replacement. I currently am on a TB3 size large. I am about 5'9'' and would not want a larger bike so I am trying for a Medium with the TB4. I notice the medium comes with a 170 crank, anyone experiment with a 175 crank? Lots of rock strikes? I will also be considering a new fork. Thoughts on a Fox 34 Grip 2 vs Pike?

-Keep in mind the Stem-length is different on the 2 frames.
    Not sure what length you have been using on your TB3?

The TB4 is meant to be run with a stubby 35mm or so and Fork Offset is 44mm.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Chassis flex but whether that's an issue or not depends on the rider. The Grip 2 damper is great though.
    Fair enough. I can't say I have an issue with my 34 now however, I have not been on a pike in a few years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -Keep in mind the Stem-length is different on the 2 frames.
    Not sure what length you have been using on your TB3?

I currently have a 44 offset fork. My stem is 40mm. I am actually insure the difference in headtube length between the TB3 and 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Hey, I had a Large TB3 and now ride a Large TB4.

The TB4 is really only noticeably bigger in Wheelbase. Im right on that cusp between Med&Large about 5'9". im 5'10 on a good day.

Attached is a chart for the two bikes. I compared the TB3 in low setting because thats how i rode it, and the TB4 in high setting because the low is too low for me. Personally i would like to try 170mm cranks because rock strikes suck a bit.

If you notice, the Reach is the same on the TB3 to TB4. so if you like descending, it will feel the same. The Front center is longer because of the much slacker head angle. But the Top tube is shorter by an Inch due to the much steeper seat tube able. I honestly think they feel very close in size while seated and standing. I had no issues transitioning from the TB3 to the TB4.

If you wanted a smaller bike, get the medium. but dont be fooled that the TB4 is really a bigger bike.

Also Pike all day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy 4-tallboy-chart.png  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Almost an inch of reach less. When I got my TB3 I had to change out the dropper to 125mm as the 150 was too long for my legs. I also do have my seat shifted smaller. I did demo a Ripley 4 a couple months back in a Medium. I seemed to feel pretty good on it. But I do agree, I probably could go either way on size.

I will have to talk to my LBS on pike and Factory 34 pricing. I probably could change over my 34 elite but it is at over a year since serviced.

mtbr member
    Has anyone swapped out the stock seat post clamp for an aftermarket one ? Which one and size did you go with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Has anyone swapped out the stock seat post clamp for an aftermarket one ? Which one and size did you go with?
    Bike Yoke, 36.4 mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    are you reading the chart wrong? yes there is an inch of reach less when you switch to a Medium frame, but Large 3 to Large 4 are the exact same reach.

But yeah, the short legs long torso thing can be difficult, you would likely have to swap for a shorter dropper on the TB4 too. Im sure id be happy on a medium too, but i prefer the large. Its a downhill machine, but not as sprightly of a trail, xc bike as the TB3. my previous TB3 was set up 130mm too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post

FWIW, at least the medium and large completes I've seen come with 50mm stems...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post

I did see they quote a 50mm across the line but having worked at a shop in the past I've seen SCB randomly change/sub. things over the years.

I'm pretty sure the shop's XL Demo had a 35 or 40 on it. Sure seemed small. Heck, they might have changed it too! Gonna have to ask...
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I also run large with 50mm stem (my own build )).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by questlove967 View Post
    are you reading the chart wrong? yes there is an inch of reach less when you switch to a Medium frame, but Large 3 to Large 4 are the exact same reach.

But yeah, the short legs long torso thing can be difficult, you would likely have to swap for a shorter dropper on the TB4 too. Im sure id be happy on a medium too, but i prefer the large. Its a downhill machine, but not as sprightly of a trail, xc bike as the TB3. my previous TB3 was set up 130mm too.
    I was referring to the M and L TB3 and 4 respectively. I do feel I would like the slightly smaller frame on this bike as I demoed the Ripley a few months back in medium and liked how it felt. I am sure my Fox transfer 125mm will be good. It seems the TB4 in size medium is between the old TB3 med and large.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by accordnick View Post
    I also run large with 50mm stem (my own build )).
    What is your build? Most of my stuff will be X01 eagle. I do plan on buying a 170mm crank as I see the Medium build are speced that way and probably to keep from pedal strikes in the low mode. I am looking at the new GX crank in Carbon. Save about $200 over the X01 and I still get carbon.

Part parts transfer will be:

G2 RSC brakes
    X01 Shifter and derailer
    GX cassette
    X01 crank 175mm (probably pick up a 170mm GX Carbon)
    WTB silverado saddle
    Fox transfer 125mm W/ wolf tooth lever dropper
    Renthal Fatbar lite carbon 35mm bars
    Renthal Apex 40mm stem
    Custom built Carbon 30mm wheels (Hydra hubs, DT bladed spokes, 1600 grams with tape and stems)
    Maxxis Recon 2.4 tires
    XT trail pedals
    Fox Performance Elite 130mm fork (16' or 17' model, may get a pike or new fox factory Grip 2)

I will have my LBS do the parts swap. I will request new cables for sure. I plan on putting invisaframe on as well before I take the frame for the swap. Anything else I should request or have done when the frame is swapped? It has been over a decade since I had to swap a frame. The dealer is not a SC dealer, they are Trek.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    While I love my TB4 CC, I am seriously considering selling the frameset (Stormbringer Purple XXL) and fork (Pike Select+) . I am considering moving everything except the fork over to a HT2. I find myself riding more and more super technical terrain and while the TB4 can handle it, the HT2 is more appropriate and better suited.

Anyone interested? Not sure about the price. The frame/fork have about 750 miles on them and are in excellent condition. New frame is $3099 and fork (Charger 2.1 RC2 Damper) is $799. I am thinking about $2500 for both and buyer pays for shipping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What is your build? Most of my stuff will be X01 eagle. I do plan on buying a 170mm crank as I see the Medium build are speced that way and probably to keep from pedal strikes in the low mode. I am looking at the new GX crank in Carbon. Save about $200 over the X01 and I still get carbon.
    Nothing special in my build. Some parts swapped from the Chameleon, some were in the garage. ) Pike Select 130, X01 170 mm cranks, XX1 Eagle drivetrain, Saint brakes, One Up dropper 210 mm, Nextie NXT29UL30/Syntace MX wheels, RF Atlas pedals.

Yes, get 170 mm cranks. For rocky areas I'd buy 165 if possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    FWIW, i'm the same height and built up a size L TB4 frame (warranty replacement as well). I went with a 50mm stem and 760mm width bars and one spacer below stem. If you go too short on the stem you're effectively shifting your weight to the rear. IMO, with the bigger wheels you want to maintain weight/pressure on the front tire in order to control your bike in the steeps. Just my 2 cents.

Also, running 175mm cranks in the HI position and no pedal strikes.
    Oh and Pike all day.

Tallboy 4-img_7899.jpg
    Tallboy 4-img_7879.jpg
    Tallboy 4-img_7885.jpgTallboy 4-img_7849.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I also started with 760 handle bar. One day I've put a 800... never will get 760 back. )

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

New question here.

I'm trying to figure out my sizing on a TB4.
    I'm 6'1" or so. 32" inseamm, 215lbs. Per SC I'm between a L and XL.
    I don't want to go too big on the bike,'m sure no one does,...

I'm coming from a Specialized Camber Large which has a reach of 445 vs 470 on a L Tallboy. Kind of figured I'd be happy with a large.

I found a BS with a TB in stock, he tells me its a large, not my build but tried it in the parking lot and moved the saddle back a bit and I still felt it was a bit tight.. I went back 2 days later to double check and they had a medium on the floor that was identical, they told me the large sold, but that I definitely tried the large. I have slight doubt, but the medium felt a bit different and so I think I tried a large.

Either or, I figure i'm an XL. but still a bit nervous ordering it and finding it come in and be huge. From talking with the BS I'm told they never get XLs in, unless specifically ordered for a customer, so yeah.

Anyone have personal experience on between L and XL when you're borderline?

mtbr member
    You are like me in having shorter legs and a long torso. I am 2 inches shorter and opted for a large and have my seat slammed back and a 50mm stem. Given you have a little more height, I would opt for a xl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brumos View Post
    FWIW, i'm the same height and built up a size L TB4 frame (warranty replacement as well). I went with a 50mm stem and 760mm width bars and one spacer below stem. If you go too short on the stem you're effectively shifting your weight to the rear. IMO, with the bigger wheels you want to maintain weight/pressure on the front tire in order to control your bike in the steeps. Just my 2 cents.

Also, running 175mm cranks in the HI position and no pedal strikes.
    Oh and Pike all day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7899.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	1351017

Name:	IMG_7879.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	1351019

Name:	IMG_7885.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	1351021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7849.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	1351023
    It kind of sucks being stuck between sizes. It seems I can go either way. I am actually 5'8.5" with a 30 inseam. Being my trails are tight and the shorter wheelbase is a plus, I am going to go the medium route. I am on a 40mm stem, but I may swap that to a 50mm. It looks like Ivory will be the color choice this time.

I just heard back from SC on my warranty. It looks like my best option for the shock will be the Fox Elite. They must be out or short on the factory. All the adjustments between the elite and factory are the same just missing the kash coating. My TB3 has an Elite on it now.

On a side note, I talked to my LBS and the Pike seems to be backordered until mid September and the Fox should be available next week. The pike is cheaper but I would need to buy a set of torque caps for my hydra hub. I will have to recheck the Pike backorder date once I get shipping confirmation for my frame.

I could use my current Fox 34 Elite but I think my TB3 has a 51 offset?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It kind of sucks being stuck between sizes. It seems I can go either way. I am actually 5'8.5" with a 30 inseam. Being my trails are tight and the shorter wheelbase is a plus, I am going to go the medium route. I am on a 40mm stem, but I may swap that to a 50mm. It looks like Ivory will be the color choice this time.

I just heard back from SC on my warranty. It looks like my best option for the shock will be the Fox Elite. They must be out or short on the factory. All the adjustments between the elite and factory are the same just missing the kash coating. My TB3 has an Elite on it now.

On a side note, I talked to my LBS and the Pike seems to be backordered until mid September and the Fox should be available next week. The pike is cheaper but I would need to buy a set of torque caps for my hydra hub. I will have to recheck the Pike backorder date once I get shipping confirmation for my frame.

I could use my current Fox 34 Elite but I think my TB3 has a 51 offset?
    This may be a dumb question, but why do you need torque caps for the pike to be run with hydras?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was not aware I could run the pike without?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh Iím not saying you can or canít. Iím dumb to all things torque cap or RS for that matter.

mtbr member
    You don't need them. I have two Pikes and zero torque caps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Iím around 5í9Ē

I rode a large Tallboy 1 C. The shop I got the used Tallboy 4 (from their rental fleet) said theyíd never put someone my size on a large. Itís taken some getting used to the new geometry. But I think the size is right.

As for the torque caps, you donít need them, I bought some for the sake of completeness, all they do is make it easier to line up the axle. I be super surprised if anyone can really feel any difference due to the large contact area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Koogs View Post
    I'm trying to figure out my sizing on a TB4.
    I'm 6'1" or so. 32" inseamm, 215lbs. Per SC I'm between a L and XL.
    I don't want to go too big on the bike,'m sure no one does,...

I'm coming from a Specialized Camber Large which has a reach of 445 vs 470 on a L Tallboy. Kind of figured I'd be happy with a large.

I found a BS with a TB in stock, he tells me its a large, not my build but tried it in the parking lot and moved the saddle back a bit and I still felt it was a bit tight.. I went back 2 days later to double check and they had a medium on the floor that was identical, they told me the large sold, but that I definitely tried the large. I have slight doubt, but the medium felt a bit different and so I think I tried a large.

Either or, I figure i'm an XL. but still a bit nervous ordering it and finding it come in and be huge. From talking with the BS I'm told they never get XLs in, unless specifically ordered for a customer, so yeah.

Anyone have personal experience on between L and XL when you're borderline?
    Go for XL. I am 6 foot, and drove both. Did not notice much difference with L and XL. Previous bike was also Spez Stumpjumper in size L. Now driven few months and have not felt too big at all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am selling a Cane Creek CC DB IL coil 190x45 (without a spacer can be run at 190x50 = 134mm travel) comes with a 8x20 bushing and 8x30 fox bearing kit.
    I have 2 springs, 400 & 450lb.
    There is less than 120miles on this shock, had it on my Tallboy CC and it fits well. I have already sold the frame.
    Send me a msg if interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Tallboy 4

Disregard

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I am selling a Cane Creek CC DB IL coil 190x45 (without a spacer can be run at 190x50 = 134mm travel) comes with a 8x20 bushing and 8x30 fox bearing kit.
    I have 2 springs, 400 & 450lb.
    There is less than 120miles on this shock, had it on my Tallboy CC and it fits well. I have already sold the frame.
    Send me a msg if interested.

interested in your shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey guys!

Putting together a size M TB4 in a few days. Just wondering which settings (Im talking HI / LO and 430 or 440 chainstays) I should start with. What's your feedback on all the possible combos? I ride south of Belgium. Steep but not technical climbs and tight slippery corners.
    Thanks in advance
    OBEY

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gorg View Post
    Hey guys!

Putting together a size M TB4 in a few days. Just wondering which settings (Im talking HI / LO and 430 or 440 chainstays) I should start with. What's your feedback on all the possible combos? I ride south of Belgium. Steep but not technical climbs and tight slippery corners.
    Thanks in advance
    I will be doing the same in a few weeks. There is very little difference in H and L position. I plan on going in the H position.

I think there is some changes that also need to be made to the brake mount when adjusting the CS.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I put a 140mm fox 36 on there so I have it in the short chainstay + low position to keep the bb as close to normal and the bike feeling poppy. Still haven't tried out the other settings though... so I guess that's not helpful lol. Lots of people with 140 on the front go with the high though for keeping hta/sta in check afaik.

Ugg had to lower the quality of the image a bunch. It's at 618kb now, know what the size limiit on attatchments is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy 4-img_2395.jpg  

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    know what the size limiit on attatchments is?
    It depends on what time it is. Seriously. I can push some large images through during slow periods, but during peak times, I find I sometime needs to reduce image size (resolution).
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So I confess Iím a complete spaz and have zero self control when building a new bike so here I sit with my Tallboy 4 frame and 3 options in boxes for suspension.
    1. DVO Sapphire 34 / DVO Topaz
    2. RS Pike Ultimate / RS super deluxe (no piggy back bladder)
    3. Cane Creek Helm Works / Fox DPS (stock shock)

All 130 and 190/45 (DVO was shimmed by DVO)
    Also note that when running the Topaz you canít get to the bladder air pressure valve so every time I check it the shock has to come off.

Other build details are XX1 AXS RD, Reverb AXS 170, XX1 cranks in 170, ENVE M630, and SRAM G2 Ultimates.... see, no control. Well I did get an X01 cassette and GX chain to save money

Obviously I need to sell the unused suspension setups and donít really want to cut steer tubes on all of them and do the work necessary to ride them all. Just got good deals on all of them in the same week and figured Iíd pick later and sell at minimal to no loss due to the deals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
    So I confess Iím a complete spaz and have zero self control when building a new bike so here I sit with my Tallboy 4 frame and 3 options in boxes for suspension.

Also note that when running the Topaz you canít get to the bladder air pressure valve so every time I check it the shock has to come off.

Other build details are XX1 AXS RD, Reverb AXS 170, XX1 cranks in 170, ENVE M630, and SRAM G2 Ultimates.... see, no control. Well I did get an X01 cassette and GX chain to save money

Obviously I need to sell the unused suspension setups and donít really want to cut steer tubes on all of them and do the work necessary to ride them all. Just got good deals on all of them in the same week and figured Iíd pick later and sell at minimal to no loss due to the deals.
    Getting that gx chain was the biggest mistake. That kind of build deserves better. Not to mention those wear much faster than the better ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Getting that gx chain was the biggest mistake. That kind of build deserves better. Not to mention those wear much faster than the better ones.

I had the same take away. My preferences sway to shimano, but its always an XTR chain wrapping XT bits.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    have an X01 chain incoming but the GX was laying around brand new. If I'm not mistaken the chains from GX up are simply material changes and hollow pins and functionally the same. Do you have solid evidence this is not the case? Performance differences do not exist between GX and up besides materials and weights on most the cabled drivetrain bits including cassettes and chains. At least that's what I was always under the impression of researching Eagle since it's release.

Any feedback on the suspension which was the point of that post?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My biggest concern with GX chains is the possibility of corrosion. The X01 and above have better finishes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I've used gx chains for years and never had any problem. Weight difference is minimal. Į\_(ツ)_/Į

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Sounds like a solid build to me! Post some pics when you're done!
    Don't like it? Don't buy it.

mtbr member

Tallboy 4

have an X01 chain incoming but the GX was laying around brand new. If I'm not mistaken the chains from GX up are simply material changes and hollow pins and functionally the same. Do you have solid evidence this is not the case? Performance differences do not exist between GX and up besides materials and weights on most the cabled drivetrain bits including cassettes and chains. At least that's what I was always under the impression of researching Eagle since it's release.

Any feedback on the suspension which was the point of that post?
    ďHowever itís not all rainbows for SRAM, and as Iíll discuss in the next section, those tight tolerances are seemingly costing them watts. Likewise, the same great durability, unfortunately, isnít present in SRAMís cheaper Eagle NX and Eagle GX. If you run SRAM Eagle, then spend the extra on an X01 chain.Ē

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-...ciency-tested/

First hand experience also showed me that the gx chains werenít as good. In terms of cassette the gx cassette shifts noticeably worse than the X01. Not that you need to worry about that, but just fyi.

I am really liking the pike ultimate on my tallboy. Never tried the dvo stuff so idk, but having to take it off everytime you want to change air seems like a pain. I will say the dps does feel a little under powered. I am leaning towards a super deluxe, albeit with the piggy back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here is what I can tell you just happened on my Nomad V4. My GX chain was about 25% worn, so it didnít need to be replaced. I however went ahead and replaced it with the AXS oil slick chain because of the look (pretty colours lol).

Shifting was terrible after the chain replacement. I let it go for about a month and finally brought it into the LBS.

First we straightened the hanger. That didnít solve the delayed up shifts. Then we changed the wire. More of the same. Then we changed the derailleur. Solved the problem.

the old GX chain, which is less laterally stiff, was hiding the fact the derailleur was bent out of shape. The AXS chain, with the tighter tolerances revealed that I must of somehow mangled the derailleur.

This, however is a Tallboy thread. Today was New Bike day for me.

2020 Tallboy CC with a Root Beer Fox 36
    Reserve 27s with an Assegai up front and a Dissector in the rear
    XT drivetrain with Saint brakes.
    Chris King headset
    OneUp Stem and carbon bar

Still waiting on a 2021 Transfer (ETA in Canada is end of August)
    Still waiting on a 140 air shaft (ETA end of August)
    Still waiting on an Ergon Saddle (ETA end of October)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy 4-d5c343f0-2184-46c8-b92c-1b601e51b071.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Here is what I can tell you just happened on my Nomad V4. My GX chain was about 25% worn, so it didnít need to be replaced. I however went ahead and replaced it with the AXS oil slick chain because of the look (pretty colours lol).

Shifting was terrible after the chain replacement. I let it go for about a month and finally brought it into the LBS.

First we straightened the hanger. That didnít solve the delayed up shifts. Then we changed the wire. More of the same. Then we changed the derailleur. Solved the problem.

the old GX chain, which is less laterally stiff, was hiding the fact the derailleur was bent out of shape. The AXS chain, with the tighter tolerances revealed that I must of somehow mangled the derailleur.

This, however is a Tallboy thread. Today was New Bike day for me.

2020 Tallboy CC with a Root Beer Fox 36
    Reserve 27s with an Assegai up front and a Dissector in the rear
    XT drivetrain with Saint brakes.
    Chris King headset
    OneUp Stem and carbon bar

Still waiting on a 2021 Transfer (ETA in Canada is end of August)
    Still waiting on a 140 air shaft (ETA end of August)
    Still waiting on an Ergon Saddle (ETA end of October)

Wow. That is one ****ing amazing looking bike. Jeeezus.
    Specialized Stumpjumper 19 Carbon with lotsa mods

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My Tallboy is finally ready for posting pics. 29lbs 7oz as it sits with pedals, dirt, and garmin mount.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SnuL3u8EPkMHnj8u8

no clue how people are posting pics that just show up. this is the best I can do. I'm old (41) and my skills stopped at posting pics from photobucket to forums back in the early 2000s. My skills never progressed, lets hope my mountain biking skills are better then the early 2000s.

mtbr member
    Here's mine:
    Seatpost AXS Reverb 170mm
    Brakes Rainbow Code RSC
    Wheels We Are One Faction/I9 Hydra
    Fork 2021 Fox 36 Grip 2 130mm
    Shock 2021 Fox DPX2
    BB Dub Hellbender
    Bars Oneup carbon
    Grips Odi Pro Elite
    Rotors SRAM 180 Centerline
    Headset CC110
    Shifter/Rr Der X01AXS
    Cassette X01AXS
    Chain Rainbow X01 AXS
    Crankset X01AXS
    Stem I9 A35 50mm
    Saddle Specialized Phenom
    Tires Maxxis DHF/DHR2 Exo+
    Pedals XTR clips

31.0 lbs even as it sits in the pic, without the cage and Oneup small pump/EDC tool. I'm about 195 lbs and ride fairly aggressively, hence the beefier build.Only 1 real ride on it so far, plus a very short shakedown ride. Initial impressions are good and this thing is a ripper. Very nimble and playful, wants to pop off everything.* Pedals much better than my Megatower. I think it's going to be a great compliment to it.

Front fork feels good, put a few PSI than Fox recommends, and set at all their recommended settings. Have 5 volume spacers in it per their stock setup for a 130.

The DPX2 feels good, but needs some work. Feels pretty good to a point, then feels like it hits a wall. My gut is telling me the current spacer is too big and causing this. It comes with the 4th largest volume spacer stock. I hit a few things really hard yesterday and I should have bottomed it out, but didn't. Close, but no cigar. Going to borrow a spacer kit from my buddy and go down one.

And the XTR pedals aren't staying on. I much prefer the platform/pins on my Saint clips on the Mega, so a set of those are going on the TB. Bummer about the weight, but those pedals are truly awesome.

Tallboy 4-20200802_095223.jpgTallboy 4-20200801_141328.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]1353441[/ATTACH|
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tallboy 4-20200802_095236.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My Tallboy is finally ready for posting pics. 29lbs 7oz as it sits with pedals, dirt, and garmin mount.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/SnuL3u8EPkMHnj8u8

no clue how people are posting pics that just show up. this is the best I can do. I'm old (41) and my skills stopped at posting pics from photobucket to forums back in the early 2000s. My skills never progressed, lets hope my mountain biking skills are better then the early 2000s.
    I noticed you're running the DVO Topaz. I have been playing with mine running a topaz as well (50mm stroke though) but surprisingly cant get it to feel quite as good. curious to your thoughts on the shock and maybe your setup?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1353441[/ATTACH|
    Really nice bike! Looks amazing! I have a 2018/2019 36 with fit4, can I lower it from 150 to 130 with a new airshaft or how do I get it that short?

Want to be able to keep my fork when I sell my Spec sj 2019 and move everything except rear susp to a tallboy.

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Snip...

Just curious, what size frame and is the 170 AXS Reverb fully inserted? I have mostly the same build (21 44 offset Fox 36/DPX2, Full AXS, Code's, Reserve30 etc) on my HTLT with the last thing left to upgrade being the frame to either a Tallboy or HT2. I currently have my reverb slammed on the HTLT and curious if it will fit like this on one of the "new" style frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGN
    Really nice bike! Looks amazing! I have a 2018/2019 36 with fit4, can I lower it from 150 to 130 with a new airshaft or how do I get it that short?

Want to be able to keep my fork when I sell my Spec sj 2019 and move everything except rear susp to a tallboy.
    Thanks! Yeah should just be an air shaft change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwo
    Just curious, what size frame and is the 170 AXS Reverb fully inserted? I have mostly the same build (21 44 offset Fox 36/DPX2, Full AXS, Code's, Reserve30 etc) on my HTLT with the last thing left to upgrade being the frame to either a Tallboy or HT2. I currently have my reverb slammed on the HTLT and curious if it will fit like this on one of the "new" style frames.
    That's a large frame. It's not quite fully inserted.

There's a Rock Shox label on the back of the post, and you can just see the bottom of the logo right were the seat clamp starts. Next time I go out in the garage I will see how much space there is from the seat collar to the Reverb collar.

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's a large frame. It's not quite fully inserted.

There's a Rock Shox label on the back of the post, and you can just see the bottom of the logo right were the seat clamp starts. Next time I go out in the garage I will see how much space there is from the seat collar to the Reverb collar.
    Thanks mate that would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwo View Post
    Thanks mate that would be appreciated.

Looks to be right about 38mm from top of seat collar to the bottom of the silver Reverb collar. HTH!

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Looks to be right about 38mm from top of seat collar to the bottom of the silver Reverb collar. HTH!
    Thanks mate. Could you insert it further or does the vent value interfere with the frame?

mtbr member
    It can go a bit further for sure. I THINK it can go all the way down, pretty sure it's slid all the way down before when I installed it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a medium Tallboy 4 above full AXS and run the 170 Reverb AXS and I just checked and I can fully insert the 170 AXS reverb in a medium tallboy4 frame without interference.

rwo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Awesome, thanks for the details rscecil007 and
    Doctorsti, I really appreciate the prompt responses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Tallboy 4

Sorry removing post so as not to hijack

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by supernorml View Post
    Sorry removing post so as not to hijack
    5 11 with long femurs. Definitely XL. Cockpit is very compact on L when seated and youíre knees will be contacting the bars.
    I am 5 10 on L and would not recommend to any one taller than me

mtbr member
    Question for everyone. I've had mine out 3 times now, and it's let out the loudest crack/pop I might have ever heard.

First time was on the first ride, 30 seconds into the trail. Popped off this root ball that is completely insignificant, and when I landed CRACK. It was loud enough I immediately pulled over and check the bike out thoroughly. Couldnt' find anything, and didn't do it again that day.

Second ride, no issues.

Third ride today, did it again twice. Once was super loud again, the second time was a bit more dull.

I have not ever had this happen to me that I can remember, but I talked to a buddy and he said it's def happened to him a few times, and it's most likely some bearing or pivot, bolt, etc etc settling in place. I would also add that the 3 times it made this noise, were really not big features or jumps. Just small little root balls on the trail side, and a 2 ft drop to flat. I went off much bigger stuff drop and jump wise and it was quiet as a mouse.

The only common thing I can think of is I swamped the shock before the first ride, then again took it off and messed with it before the third ride. So maybe it's the shock bolts/hardware settling in? Seems a stretch, but I've got over the bike after every ride, made sure all bolts are torqued properly, looked for anything out of place. I even did the nickel tap test all over the frame to see if maybe there was an internal crack QA missed that I can see. Nothing at all.

Needless to say I'm a bit concerned, but maybe its nothing. Anyone experienced this before and/or on their TB4?

mtbr member
    Everytime I take my shock off and reinstall it, it will make a loud crack on the first big landing then not do it again until I remove the shock.

I did have to take the Fox roller bearing off due to clicking but that's not nearly as loud.

mtbr member
    Everytime I take my shock off and reinstall it, it will make a loud crack on the first big landing then not do it again until I remove the shock.

I did have to take the Fox roller bearing off due to clicking but that's not nearly as loud.
    Interesting, thanks for the reply Jeremy. Kinda confirms what I thought it might be.

Odd thing is I've changed/removed the shock off my Megatower more than a few times and don't ever remember this happening. Maybe it did, and just wasn't loud enough for me to notice..
    Last edited by rscecil007; 5 Days Ago at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Question for everyone. I've had mine out 3 times now, and it's let out the loudest crack/pop I might have ever heard...

Needless to say I'm a bit concerned, but maybe its nothing. Anyone experienced this before and/or on their TB4?
    It could be your fork bottoming out. Are you running enough air pressure?

Phil
    Jul 2010
    Question for everyone. I've had mine out 3 times now, and it's let out the loudest crack/pop I might have ever heard.

First time was on the first ride, 30 seconds into the trail. Popped off this root ball that is completely insignificant, and when I landed CRACK. It was loud enough I immediately pulled over and check the bike out thoroughly. Couldnt' find anything, and didn't do it again that day.

Second ride, no issues.

Third ride today, did it again twice. Once was super loud again, the second time was a bit more dull.

I have not ever had this happen to me that I can remember, but I talked to a buddy and he said it's def happened to him a few times, and it's most likely some bearing or pivot, bolt, etc etc settling in place. I would also add that the 3 times it made this noise, were really not big features or jumps. Just small little root balls on the trail side, and a 2 ft drop to flat. I went off much bigger stuff drop and jump wise and it was quiet as a mouse.

The only common thing I can think of is I swamped the shock before the first ride, then again took it off and messed with it before the third ride. So maybe it's the shock bolts/hardware settling in? Seems a stretch, but I've got over the bike after every ride, made sure all bolts are torqued properly, looked for anything out of place. I even did the nickel tap test all over the frame to see if maybe there was an internal crack QA missed that I can see. Nothing at all.

Did you follow the support manuals and torque the bolts to the correct spec. Being over or under torqued could cause some sounds you wouldnít want to hear.

mtbr member

Interesting, thanks for the reply Jeremy. Kinda confirms what I thought it might be.

Odd thing is I've changed/removed the shock off my Megatower more than a few times and don't ever remember this happening. Maybe it did, and just wasn't loud enough for me to notice..
    Yeah, my MT doesn't have the issue either. I think it's some weird quirk on the TB.

mtbr member
    Def not the fork, and yes everything torqued to spec. I'm pretty OCD about my builds.

mtbr member
    Yeah, my MT doesn't have the issue either. I think it's some weird quirk on the TB.
    Weird as hell!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Reverb dropper post cable routing

Hello,

Have a 2 month old TB4 AL D which didn't come with a dropper (I may no longer be considered a virgin). I purchased the same dropper that comes with the higher end models, a Rockshox reverb stealth. How is everyones hydraulic cable routed? Both rear brake and derailleur cables already exit the two ports under the rear shock. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Tallboy 4

Quote Originally Posted by brd0382 View Post
    Hello,

Have a 2 month old TB4 AL D which didn't come with a dropper (I may no longer be considered a virgin). I purchased the same dropper that comes with the higher end models, a Rockshox reverb stealth. How is everyones hydraulic cable routed? Both rear brake and derailleur cables already exit the two ports under the rear shock. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    The dropper is fully internally routed.
    It enters the open port you have at the headtube, runs down the downtube and then up the seattube. In the carbon models there is a built in tube to guide it. I am guessing the alloy oneís donít have that guide.

If possible, I would highly HIGHLY recommend returning that reverb and getting something else. They arenít specced because they are the best, but because sram sells them really cheap to SC as part of the oem parts. Getting something cable actuated will save you a lot of headache. PNW or oneup would be my recommendation.

If you donít have the tools to shorten/bleed a reverb, you are probably going to have to take it to a shop. If you were to return it and get a cable actuated post it is much easier to install and something you can do at home assuming you have a cable cutter and some free time.

Congrats on losing the V card!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Second ride, no issues.

Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned, but maybe its nothing. Anyone experienced this before and/or on their TB4?
    Mine made that horrible cracking sound too. I replaced the fox bearing with a new one and it still made that loud crack. I could hold the tire and pull up on the seat and it would make the noise. I then took the bearing off and replaced with a fox bushing and no more noise at all. I finally settled on a RWC roller bearing and it has been silent ever since. I am a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Can anyone who has the RaceFace handlebar and stem that came on the bike tell me what the rise and setback of the bar is (mm). Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnymotox11 View Post
    Mine made that horrible cracking sound too. I replaced the fox bearing with a new one and it still made that loud crack. I could hold the tire and pull up on the seat and it would make the noise. I then took the bearing off and replaced with a fox bushing and no more noise at all. I finally settled on a RWC roller bearing and it has been silent ever since. I am a happy camper.

Which bearing are we talking about? Can you take a picture pointing with your finger on what you swapped?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGN View Post
    Which bearing are we talking about? Can you take a picture pointing with your finger on what you swapped?
    Theyíre talking about the rearward shock mounting hardware.

mtbr member
    I had a popping sound sometimes on bigger hits. Turns out my XTR derailleur's clutch just needed a bit of lube and adjusting. When the swingarm would move just the right speed/distance it would overload the clutch and cause it to sort of drag and pop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post

Theyíre talking about the rearward shock mounting hardware.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anyone swap out the Fox rear shock for a Rock Shot Super Deluxe Ultimate?

What did you notice that was different?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone swap out the Fox rear shock for a Rock Shot Super Deluxe Ultimate?

What did you notice that was different?
    Never rode the Fox but I have has a SDLXU on m bike from new.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112