Super light... best fork travel? 100mm or 120mm?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Super light... best fork travel? 100mm or 120mm?

Will be getting a superlight medium in a couple of weeks. i will be using most parts from my hard tail. will be using it for xc and trails (i have a Nomad MK2 for the rough stuff). Rolling hills, techie single tracks, mud, rocks, etc... my question is, I have a fox F series 120mm. it have been lowered to 80 mm since it is in my hard tail. i will be servicing it before i install it. will i set it back to 120 mm or 100 mm? pros and cons... those who have tried it already please share your inputs to help me decide... i have heard good reviews about the SL so when I came across a good deal, got one... thanks in advance guys...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Go 120mm if your fork has adjustable low speed compression. In my opinion, the falling rate of the Superlight needs a fork with a bit more low speed compression than most stock forks, or a bit of Propedal, to feel balanced. If your fork doesn't have adjustable low speed compression, or you don't use Propedal, then a 100mm fork will be a better match. I went with a 120mm Manitou Minute Pro on mine, and I love it as an all-around, versatile trail bike.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a sl29 and it will be comming in with a 120mm fox on front, only test rode a 12 with 100mm reba and thought it was nice but a little quick so i think 120 will be good, it seems everyone is going that way anyhow.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the quick response... i forgot to mention it's a 26'er SL with RP23 shocks. My intended fork is a Fox F series RLC 120 mm (but set to 80mm as of now.)... I have yet to try the SL, opted for the single pivot design since I have already a Nomad, a different ride would make my local trails refreshingly new experience once and a while....

MountainBiker24, how do you set up the low speed compression? thanks for the tuning tips...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Your Fox RLC has adjustable low speed compression via one of the knobs on top of the fork leg. I forget which one it is on Fox forks, but it's the low speed dial. The other is rebound. That fork will be perfect for the Superlight. Set it at 120 mm and take the time to dial in both the fork and shock to give you the setup you like. I would add quite a bit of low speed if it was my setup. You will be able to match the Propedal on the shock with the fork quite well if you take the time to properly set it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Your Fox RLC has adjustable low speed compression via one of the knobs on top of the fork leg. I forget which one it is on Fox forks, but it's the low speed dial. The other is rebound. That fork will be perfect for the Superlight. Set it at 120 mm and take the time to dial in both the fork and shock to give you the setup you like. I would add quite a bit of low speed if it was my setup. You will be able to match the Propedal on the shock with the fork quite well if you take the time to properly set it up.
    thanks I will consider that during my set up... 1-2 weeks and I will have all the necessary pats for the build... thanks for all your inputs guys... more happy trails...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Personally I would do 100mm since you already have a Nomad. As I recall the 26" is good for 100 or 120, and 100 will make it more of an XC bike. I recently got a 29er Superlight and sold my 26", but I had a 100 mm fork on it and loved it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    29ers generally need less travel to roll over the bumps than 26ers. A 120mm fork will roll better and make the bike more versatile without overlapping with the Nomad's intended usage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    29ers generally need less travel to roll over the bumps than 26ers. A 120mm fork will roll better and make the bike more versatile without overlapping with the Nomad's intended usage.
    Even if 29ers need less travel, it was a 26" super light that I had a 100mm fork on that I really enjoyed (edit: I realize I was unclear about that in my previous post). To be fair, I never had a 120mm fork on it, but I never wanted to put one on it, either. For an XC bike like the Superlight, bob in the fork (e.g., while climbing) is a big issue.

I agree that it would make the bike more versatile and not overlap with the Nomad at all at 120mm. I guess I'm saying 100mm would just make it more distinct from the Nomad, which is obviously swimming in versatility.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    True. I guess a lot of it depends on riding style and trails. I considered putting a 100 mm fork on my Superlight, but I like the bit extra cush in the front. I had a Heckler, as well, and there was definitely a lot of overlap between the 2 bikes. If the Nomad is set up for more trail than downhill, then 100 might be the way to go. If it's more freeride or downhill, then throw a 120 on there for more trail versatility.

basher
    Jan 2006
    Ignore the user name (I have this one since I registered a long time ago... I ride a santa cruz now, just not able to change it...) have ridden one with a 90 mm travel fork and felt it was a wee bit too short in the front. I now ride a dropped Fox float to 115 mm and it's seriously the best compromise ever, slack enough to rip downhill fast and steep enough to be efficient while climbing. As you slacken the h/a a bit it becomes a really good all-around trail machine! I freaking love mine!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I might go 120 mm for a little extra travel up front. I do still have a hardtail (giant xtc) which will be my bike for xc'sh rides. My Nomad is set up a bit on the chunky side, for more bomb proofabilty... I readily chose a SL since it is a different suspension in a different category (XC) and another VPP (blur XC or Spider) will not give the "VARIETY" in ride characteristics I am after for... which will give me a different feel on my trails to keep me fascinated... Update on my superlight project, for now it'll be a 26'er but i ordered some 650B rims and tires since some forums are sayin xtc would be compatible with it with some minor mods (shocks shimmy) but if the 650B hoops don't cut it I can still revert back to 26"...

mtbr member
    The answer to this question is simple. Get a Talas!

My 2001 Superlight came with an 80 mm fork. Now I have a 90-110-130 Talas on it. 130 is great for bombing downhills but if I forget to shorten it going back up I can immediately feel the floppyness and imprecise steering of the slack angle. 90 is great for tight techy stuff and long uphills. 110 is a good middle position if I want to set it and forget it.

mtbr member
    My wife's SM Juliana RXC (superlight) came with a 120mm fox fork from the factory. It climbs the same as a SL with 100mm and we've yet to lock the fork out. It also seemed to slow the steering a little which helped her on fast trails and the extra travel seemed to match the plushness of the rear once everything is dialed in.
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 09-06-2012 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    I got a used Fox Talus about 6 months ago that you can adjust from 100 to 120 to 140 with a dial on top of the left fork. I love putting it in 140 mode for downhills.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    120mm reba rlt ti on mine and love it

PA Slayer
    Jun 2010

do it

120, 120, 120, 120, 120 - definitely 120

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This is rather belated, but I run a 120mm reba on my SC XL size. I think the longer wheelbase, and larger frame size goes better with the 120mm set up, and also suits trail centre riding, and rocky descents. I did notice that it is a bit lighter on the steering when on steep climbs, but this is a minor trade off. Using spesh 2.2 volume tyres, run tubeless, has also improved the feeling and stability of the ride (moving up from 2.1 maxxis).

NedwannaB
    Shameless Bump!

Building up a 26" SL with 650's and in the deciding stages of a fork. I actually have either a RL100, or a RLC that's set at 110 now actually. I've been using the poplock 100 on another bike but thinking the 110 will be a happy mid-travel setting for the SL. Just being enabled by not having to reach down to lock/unlock fork is so nice.

I also ride an 80mm SS 650 ht and a 140 B6r trail bike.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    gone 120 mm fox float rlc with 15 mm axle... and ohhh... it's a 650b SL (conversion) already =)

mtbr member
    My wife's Juliana / SL has a Manitou Marvel Pro 120mm fork. It has a very impressive platform thanks to the XC shim stack and can be ridden out of the saddle pretty easily. She has a basic CTD shock though, and it will bob unless you flip it to climb mode-- even if you set sag pretty shallow, like 15%.

I personally don't see any reason to run less than 120mm unless of course you already have a 100mm fork and don't want to buy a new one. The bike steers fast with 120mm.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    My wife's Juliana / SL has a Manitou Marvel Pro 120mm fork. It has a very impressive platform thanks to the XC shim stack and can be ridden out of the saddle pretty easily. She has a basic CTD shock though, and it will bob unless you flip it to climb mode-- even if you set sag pretty shallow, like 15%.

I personally don't see any reason to run less than 120mm unless of course you already have a 100mm fork and don't want to buy a new one. The bike steers fast with 120mm.
    Actually I have 2 forks available. The 100, and the 130, that is reduced to 110 currently. I can easily switch and change it to 120.

I'd been running the 100 fork on my 26"(claimed 80-100 geo but I think some of the bike manf's started stating that in their spec's to help out fork manf's with their sales....:@) 650B ht conversion but felt flip-floppy and abit twitchy even. After changing to a flat bar it helped a bit but still not right. Just put an older 80mm fork on it and wow what a different bike!!! Totally changed the feel. More controlled turning and climbing. It's finally dialed.

So I am just thinking the additional height @ 120, added by the 650 wheel conversion, might put the SL in the same quirky handling.

Not a big deal to switch out forks but I was planning to sell the 130 along with the Ventana El Bastardo frame:
    650B Ventana El Bastardo frame/FOX fork
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

Members who have read this thread: 0