Shock Compression Question Clicking Noise: Nomad Mk2 w/ RP23- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Shock Compression Question Clicking Noise: Nomad Mk2 w/ RP23

quick question for everyone on the nomad mk2. i brought my bike into work today, and this big german dude wanted to try my bike out (i'm 6' and 155 lbs, and have the RP23 and fox 34 that comes w/ the R-AM kit set to my weight).

the shock was locked out, but he compressed it several times, and it sounded like something was binding loudly (a sound i've never heard before in the 2 years i've owned the bike). i thought that the RP23 has a blow off, but now when i compress the suspension, i hear a click and feel a shudder in the shock. it's not the seat, i've tried compressing the bike from the frame only, and i still hear the loud click, and also feel it in the shock body.

i checked the bolts at all the upper pivots and the shock mounts, and everything seems snugged up tight. i don't think its bushing wear, because i usually notice a bit of play when picking up the bike from the seat---in thhis case, there is no play and everything seems solid.

any thoughts on what it could be? thanks in advance--i might take it to my LBS tmrw.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Update:

i took the bike to my LBS, and they've done all of the following:

Remove, regrease bottom bracket
    Grease bottom linkage via zerk fittings (i've also greased these periodically)
    Rebuild rear RP23 (standard oil, seal service which was due)
    Replace rear shock bushings (both front and rear)
    Replace all bearings using the Santa Cruz bearing kit in the upper link
    Check torque of all the shock and linkage bolts

but the bike is STILL making that same clicking noise. i'm going to go pick it up, and i've sent an email to SC to get their take on it, but would appreciate any thoughts from the forum. my BLT2 never had an issue like this--if there was any play in the suspension, torquing the bolts or replacing bushings would take care of it instantly.

mtbr member
    I had a clicking noise, that occurred when compressing the bike. It was the lower pivots on the rear triangle. Take the bolt off, and insert the appropriate sized allen wrench and gently snug up the pivot. Then reinsert the bolt and collet..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the reply. it turns out the shop did replace all of the bearings, so we went over each pivot and axle assembly (freshly greased, threads loctited, and torqued to spec). i also checked all the torque's when i got home. i'm now thinking that it might be something in the RP23 itself---i saw a thread or two on other forums of people having a "click" that occurs w/ the pro pedal on and off...

Unit 91
    Hello! Read through this thread...sounds very similar to a problem I had. Just a thought.

http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/slight...in-889315.html
    Bikes

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    thanks for the reply. it turns out the shop did replace all of the bearings, so we went over each pivot and axle assembly (freshly greased, threads loctited, and torqued to spec). i also checked all the torque's when i got home. i'm now thinking that it might be something in the RP23 itself---i saw a thread or two on other forums of people having a "click" that occurs w/ the pro pedal on and off...
    I'm just curious . . . how much did the shop charge you for all that work???
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks theprophet--i think i've come to the same conclusion as in the thread you posted! i notice the click changes slightly depending on the position the pro-pedal lever is in.

hi 007, they only charged me labor for the original diagnosis (RP23 rebuild, bushing replacement), which i think was 40 USD total, and the material cost for the bushings and bearings from Santa Cruz.

does anyone know if Push will just sell me an already Pushed Rp23 (so i don't have to send them my existing shock)? other shock recommendations for a rear shock are appreciated (i'm more of a "set it and forget it" person, so not sure the CCDB or higher end shocks i've seen recommended in the nomad "which shock" threads would be a good fit for me)

thanks everyone for your responses!

Unit 91
    Not sure about Push and them having shocks in stock, but maybe worth a call. Your shock should be able to be fixed though. I ended up sending my CTD to Avalanche (there's another thread in the Knolly forum about this) and along with fixing the noise, Avalanche tuned the shock and added all their special bits. I emailed Craig and he was very responsive and detailed with the problem I was having. Would def recommend them!

Float CTD and RP23 SSD Modifications
    Bikes

mtbr member

they only charged me labor for the original diagnosis (RP23 rebuild, bushing replacement), which i think was 40 USD total, and the material cost for the bushings and bearings from Santa Cruz.
    Santa Cruz offers free bearings for life. If you are the bikes original owner, bearings are free when they need replaced. If you aren't the original owner, once you purchase and replace a set of bearings, they'll cover you on future sets.

b a n n e d
    hi 007, they only charged me labor for the original diagnosis (RP23 rebuild, bushing replacement), which i think was 40 USD total, and the material cost for the bushings and bearings from Santa Cruz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Santa Cruz offers free bearings for life. If you are the bikes original owner, bearings are free when they need replaced. If you aren't the original owner, once you purchase and replace a set of bearings, they'll cover you on future sets.
    NC speaks the truth, and you've got a great shop on hand if thats all they charged you. What you had done would have cost me hundreds of dollars at the LBS near me - hence why I learned to replace bearings and rebuild the RP23 on my own.

Thats great you've got such a good shop; hopefully they do good work.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!