Santa Cruz Super 8 (attn. super 8 owners)- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Santa Cruz Super 8 (attn. super 8 owners)

OK, I have the chance to buy a 2002 super 8. White frame, 02 shiver(awesome condition), race face north shore cranks, mrp guide, sunn double wide rims(26 front/ 24 rear), hayes 8" hydros, azonic bars, thompson post, deore shifter, and arrow tires. Now the questions; the guy want at least 1500, i may be able to talk him down. What do you think of the price? Or, what do you think it is really worth? The frame is in awesome condition with the exception of a tiny tiny crack on the rear swingarm brace, but if you have ever seen a super 8 then you would know that its like an aluminium box back there. So would that really effect the how structurally sound the frame is? I am very new to dh bikes so any help would be so awesome. Also some pics of your super 8 would be sick, thanks.

mtbr member
    The cracked rear support in the swing arm is a known problem with heavily used super 8s. The problem is that replacement swing arms are no longer available. DH bikes are put through a huge amount of punishment and will crack or break after enough stress is continually applied to them. I don't think I would recommended that anyone buy a bike that they know is already damaged, especially if they intend to ride it without replacing the broken component (which is not possible in the case of the super 8).

If you are looking at getting into DH and free riding, you may want to track down something like a newer builtt that is in better condition. Although these aren't full on DH bikes, they will hold up to a lot and can be found at reasonable prices. The only way I would consider the super 8 is if the used value of the components outweighed the fact that you may end up replacing the frame soon.

Also, before someone suggests it, it may be possible to repair such a frame. But, to do so properly would not be cost effective. You can't just weld up the crack as the welding process will make the surrounding metal more brittle unless it is heat treaded as they are when they are first assembled. There is a company (pyrotech, i believe) that repairs frames. But, I beleive that it will not be worth the cost when you consider that the frame, by DH standards, is quite old.

Members who have read this thread: 0