Santa Cruz Megatower - Page 8- Mtbr.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by a_double View Post
    Called LBS yesterday. Stated they cant even see frame only options for purchase yet. Anybody else have luck in placing frameset order?
    According to Competitive Cyclist, frame only option will be coming in June..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by a_double View Post
    Called BS yesterday. Stated they cant even see frame only options for purchase yet. Anybody else have luck in placing frameset order?
    My shop has told me last week of May at the earliest. But yeah, they are not even an option to order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALC0R73Z View Post
    Has anyone tried putting 29x2.6 tires front and rear on a MT, either in short or long flip chip?
    I'm running a 2.6 front / rear right now due to loose and dusty trail conditions. Rear clearance is very tight with a DHF in the short position, if you are ridding in mud forget it. I had to grind down a small spot on the linkage to make a bit more space. In the long position there is plenty of room.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    According to Competitive Cyclist, frame only option will be coming in June..
    April 19th for me!
    2018 Santa Cruz Nomad IIII

Moto Becane Roady

2015 KTM 1190R

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    They must have a shipment coming in after sea otter because my order date also states 4/19. It's been holding strong for about 2 weeks so I'm really hoping it's legit, but not optimistic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Noice noice on the 4/19 ETA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This is typical SC, ship dates fluctuate wildly. So, don't be surprised if it's pushed again as the tanker seems to be lost at sea quite frequently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Pirates might be after that SC booty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Anyone got real life weights of their bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzznz View Post
    Anyone got real life weights of their bikes?
    Santa Cruz Megatower-img_3209.jpg

Santa Cruz Megatower-img_3242.jpg

Large, X01, Air, Reserve

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM3 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3209.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	1246610

Name:	IMG_3242.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	1246611

Large, X01, Air, Reserve
    Thats not too bad actually. Is that with carbon cranks and XTR brakes? Rotors look Sram and fork looks fox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    By the way, how many of you are not happy with your rear shock? I was talking to a couple of guys that said after several attempts at dialing it in they are still not jazzed with it. I remember they put that RS shock on the original hightower and it was a terrible thing. I know the Mega can fit any shock but my friends told me the issue is that RS is the only one making a shock that will fit. I guess there is a special bearing or something that needs to be on the shock and RS has that and no one else does currently.

mtbr member
    I know the Syndicate racers were getting their Megatowers fitted with X2's the other day so they definitely fit. The bearing mount I'm not sure about though.

mtbr member
    From what I understand SC wanted to use the RS shock due to the bearing in the rear eyelet b/c they felt it made small bump better.

But you can pretty much run any rear shock in there, normal eyelet or bearing eyelet. Also states this in the FAQ section on the MT webpage.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I won't have a chance to really ride my megatower for awhile due to shoulder surgery but if I'm not happy with the rear shock I'm going to get a Vorsprung tractive tune.

mtbr member
    I'm mostly upset with the shock due to the reservoir cap blowing off on a 1 foot drop and blowing the IFP and shock oil all over the bottom of Hiline 2 rides into my Sedona trip. It had been mostly running ok but I was still dialing it in at the time. I will say that Rockshox has been pretty responsive so far.

Also just saw an instagram post of Loris with an X2 on his new MT so it's definitely possible to run them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I know the Syndicate racers were getting their Megatowers fitted with X2's the other day so they definitely fit. The bearing mount I'm not sure about though.
    Yup definitely ran the X2

Minnaars Mega was 32.91lbs with DDs and Shimano drivetrain

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Thats not too bad actually. Is that with carbon cranks and XTR brakes? Rotors look Sram and fork looks fox.
    Cranks (SRAM X1) and Brakes (SRAM Code RSC) as spec'd in the X01 build

I am also still dialing in the shock. I am a bit under 160lbs and am having a tough time getting it to feel plush. Perhaps it would work great for a heavier rider.

Thanks
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Cranks (SRAM X1) and Brakes (SRAM Code RSC) as spec'd in the X01 build

I am also still dialing in the shock. I am a bit under 160lbs and am having a tough time getting it to feel plush. Perhaps it would work great for a heavier rider.

Thanks
    Daniel
    I'm 220 with gear and can attest that it is still not exactly plush. Like others have mentioned, putting sag around 32/33% seems to be better than the recommended 30%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    I'm running a 2.6 front / rear right now due to loose and dusty trail conditions. Rear clearance is very tight with a DHF in the short position, if you are ridding in mud forget it. I had to grind down a small spot on the linkage to make a bit more space. In the long position there is plenty of room.
    What about the clearance between seat tube and tire at full compression? Is there enough room to fit a larger stroke shock? Was thinking about running a 230x65 Float X2 I have lying around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dhamilton View Post
    I'm 220 with gear and can attest that it is still not exactly plush. Like others have mentioned, putting sag around 32/33% seems to be better than the recommended 30%.
    Are you running it in the low or high setting? I'm at 210 and will get it with a coil shock. I don't know what spring though. What do you guys recon?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by niconj View Post
    Are you running it in the low or high setting? I'm at 210 and will get it with a coil shock. I don't know what spring though. What do you guys recon?
    I have been running in high but last night switched to low so I'm very curious to see how that affects the handling.

I demoed with a coil but the coil was 500# and def not high enough. I think the SC website recommends 600 and based on how 500 felt I'd say that's the right starting point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    For some reason I get the feeling that this bike might not be all it's cracked up to be. Few user reviews, even fever with praise, and the shock issue makes me think the LT was better received out of the gates.

This thread just seems to have a different tone than LT when it came out. Just a hunch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If I remember correctly, framesets and completes were available on day 1 of HTLT release. Maybe a lot of folks are waiting for framesets...

The MT is more of a niche bike too IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    For some reason I get the feeling that this bike might not be all it's cracked up to be. Few user reviews, even fever with praise, and the shock issue makes me think the LT was better received out of the gates.

This thread just seems to have a different tone than LT when it came out. Just a hunch.
    I just sold my LT because I would never ride it over this bike. I do agree the reviews have been a bit mixed regarding dialing in the rear suspension. But this bike climbs better, corners better, holds a line better, and feels better off big (ok, to me big) drops.

I do recognize the unease from people about the shock/suspension. The bike does everything else SO well that it's maybe just easy to point to that as its weak spot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    While I am working on getting the shock dialed in, I absolutely love this bike. While it is new and exciting for me so that may be influencing it, I am riding it way more than I would anticipate for a 160mm bike. I have a Blur Tr and have not ridden it much since I get the MT. I am quite easily beating my times on all the downs and am not way off on the climbs. My prior bikes were TB3 and Bronson in addition to the Blur TR that I still have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    For me the HTLT didn't do the trick or it's rear suspension for that matter. It just isn't for heavy riders who do big (for me anyways) drops. That's why I'll for the MT.

Hearing something like "at 160lbs I can't get it plush... maybe for bigger riders" sounds so cool for me. I want to go full coil (Selva Coil too) and this is the bike I was waiting for.

mtbr member
    Just a thought, this is their flagship enduro race bike. It's made for performance which is often not 'plush'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    From what I understand SC wanted to use the RS shock due to the bearing in the rear eyelet b/c they felt it made small bump better.

But you can pretty much run any rear shock in there, normal eyelet or bearing eyelet. Also states this in the FAQ section on the MT webpage.
    There you go, that is it, the bearing in the rear eyelet. But seeing the X2 installed in Gregg's bike, well. SC had some excuse why they put RS on the Hightower when it first came out and that shock was a disaster and everyone knew it. Sometimes it boils down the $$$ and RS probably made them an offer SC could not refuse in purchasing bulk rear shocks for the builds. THey should offer FOX on their frameset, give people a choice.

When it comes to "plush" the rear shock has so much to do with that. A bad rear shock can really screw up a nicely made suspension. The Hightowers I rode with the original shock and then an X2, night and day and the Tallboy LT with DPX2 or a tune was night a day difference. Why would Minnaar be putting in a Fox and not keeping the RS in there? Hmmmm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Why would Minnaar be putting in a Fox and not keeping the RS in there?
    It could be as simple as the Syndicate being sponsored by Fox. Even if he weren't sponsored, it might be more desirable to have independent HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR adjustments on the X2, whereas the stock RS SD Ultimate only has open/firm and then -/0/+ adjusters for LSC.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Syndicate is sponsored by Fox, so Fox components were going on there no matter what.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Large, XO1, Reserve under a 5'10"-210lb rider....been riding it for a few weeks now in Bend, OR and while we dont have alot of terrain open yet.....Im loving it.
    Dialing in the rear shock to such a narrow sag window is a bit tricky but well worth taking your time on.
    Fully backing Rom3n on the sag suggestion of 32-35% being the sweet spot.
    Shock is also in a tough viewing locationso that doesnt make it much easier...but once you get it dialed in....it seems to set into mistroke without alot of movement on climbs, gives plenty of support under climbing tension.
    Heading down is definitely when it comes alive....which IMO is the way it should be.

Looking forward to Moab in a few weeks!
    Transition Smuggler
    Santas Cruz Megatower

[/FONT]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by random_guy View Post
    What about the clearance between seat tube and tire at full compression? Is there enough room to fit a larger stroke shock? Was thinking about running a 230x65 Float X2 I have lying around.
    Lots of room.

mtbr member
    The X2 fits great. Looking forward to getting it dialed in this weekend.

Santa Cruz Megatower-b8fb3192-223a-46e5-8151-c2e5067a5f9c.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Anyone tried DHX2? Or even 11/6.

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Name:	B8FB3192-223A-46E5-8151-C2E5067A5F9C.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	1246666
    230 x 60mm?

If you are putting in a fox shock, I highly recommend replacing the lower eyelet bushing with an RWC needle bearing. It's not a big investment and made a small but noticeable difference on small bumps and chatter compliance on my HTLT.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anyone tried DHX2? Or even 11/6.
    My PUSH is waiting for the frame! 230x60 Should give me 168mm of travel! I am waiting to see if a 230x65 would fit.

Moto Becane Roady

2015 KTM 1190R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvo View Post
    230 x 60mm?
    230 x 57.5

jvo
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    230 x 57.5
    Is there enough room for 65? or is 60mm the safe bet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvo View Post
    Is there enough room for 65? or is 60mm the safe bet?
    I think 60 is safe but not sure on 65. It might ok also but I would not tell you so unless I tested it =)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ok the size is 20x8 and 30x8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squid-ward View Post
    Wow really? How much compression are you running? I ran the shock at about 175psi and i'm 180lb and ride pretty hard. Felt perfect to me on some sizeable drops and square edge hits.. How much pressure in the tyres as well
    Yeah, I'm def going to remove some air from the tires. They are at max.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am going to try to let out a bit more air to get down to the 32-33% or so of sag. I was at 30% before. I am now at no LSC and 25lbs in the tires. Looking forward to next ride to see how it feels but it is getting close.

mtbr member
    call me nuts, but the way I've always started dialing in the rear shock is to balance on the bike and pop up and down a few times, step off the bike and see where the sag is. When I do that as my "process," I'm at 40% sag. To get to 33%, I have to go to 230psi on the shock, which seems way excessive. On my last ride, which had some nice drops, I below the travel "ring" down to the 57.5 mark on the rear shock, which seemed to basically use all the travel. Not sure how, at 170lb riding weight, I need to have 230psi in the shock to maintain 35% sag. Something is off.... What are you guys doing to dial it in.... maybe I'm just doing it wrong as I've traditionally had coil shocks, and getting the right spring rate is all I've needed to ensure....

chib

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't pop up and down. I just sit on it to get to the target sag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chiburi View Post
    call me nuts, but the way I've always started dialing in the rear shock is to balance on the bike and pop up and down a few times, step off the bike and see where the sag is.
    Youre nuts. Thats not what sag is. Also, why at 170lbs were you running anywhere close to the max tire pressure? Thats totally nuts.

Sit on the bike, bounce up and down a few times to break stiction and equalize the pos and neg chambers, reach down to slide the o-ring back to the air can, briefly return to a neutral seated position, then gently step off the bike and see where your o-ring is. Thats sag. Add or release air as needed and try again. All that should be done with you propping yourself up lightly against a wall or something, or even better, with someone else helping keep the bike upright.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm def going to remove some air from the tires. They are at max.
    Don't even worry about setting up the shock based on trail chatter until you have your tire pressure in a normal range.

No offense but running max tire pressure and bouncing to set sag means you need to start reading up on basic bike setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    For me the HTLT didn't do the trick or it's rear suspension for that matter. It just isn't for heavy riders who do big (for me anyways) drops.
    What shock are you running / how much do you weigh?

No problems with 15-20 ft drops here at 190 lbs on a float x2 (mt prevost trails are home for reference)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Wow, I want to see some videos of 20ft drops on a HT! Sounds awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey mate look up Puttin on the Ritz at Prevost. Obv normally choose the dh rig, but sometimes it's out of commission and the htlt gets it done. Everything's so well built here though that it's hella smooth, no huck to flat action going on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by afalts View Post
    Hey mate look up Puttin on the Ritz at Prevost. Obv normally choose the dh rig, but sometimes it's out of commission and the htlt gets it done. Everything's so well built here though that it's hella smooth, no huck to flat action going on!
    Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Wow, I want to see some videos of 20ft drops on a HT! Sounds awesome.
    The big drops at BRMBA are 15ft+, depending on where you land. Trail Peek hit it all about 18 months ago. Its mostly POV footage but Randy was on an OG HT Im fairly sure. Maybe long-shocked? Anyway, they ripped it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    210, DPX2 with 0.6 spacer and 260psi at the bikepark, 240 at my lockal trails. I know its not very scientific but when I let the HTLT drop from two feet, the rear wheel bounces at least 3 times. When I did that on the Glen/Nomad/Bronson, it just plopped and there was no bouncing.

In any case, since Im getting my HTLT replaced under warranty, Ill sell it and put all the parts on the Megatower. This way I can also run a wider tire on the rear.

What shock are you running / how much do you weigh?

No problems with 15-20 ft drops here at 190 lbs on a float x2 (mt prevost trails are home for reference)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Let us know your base settings. My 2020 X2 is on its way!

Moto Becane Roady

2015 KTM 1190R

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    In any case, since Im getting my HTLT replaced under warranty, Ill sell it and put all the parts on the Megatower. This way I can also run a wider tire on the rear.
    Can't argue with that, I'd do the same!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Can't argue with that, I'd do the same!
    And to top things off, while I'm still riding my HTLT, I'll film as many videos as possible to then do the exact thing with the MT to objectively compare the two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    How's everyone's clearance at the rear? Has anyone tried a 2.5" or tried a 2.6" in the long setting? Any rubbing on the rear triangle?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    May 2004

Name:	B8FB3192-223A-46E5-8151-C2E5067A5F9C.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	1246666
    How did the FloatX2 fair this weekend? Any base settings? How much volume did you run?

Moto Becane Roady

2015 KTM 1190R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    How did the FloatX2 fair this weekend? Any base settings? How much volume did you run?
    Running 30% sag but I have not finished dialing it in. Even not fully setup It is performing as I expected which is really good. No question for me on what im going to run the bike with going forward. Im very happy this shock fits =)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    How's everyone's clearance at the rear? Has anyone tried a 2.5" or tried a 2.6" in the long setting? Any rubbing on the rear triangle?

Thanks,
    No rubbing with a 2.5 or 2.6 in the long position, you should have plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    No rubbing with a 2.5 or 2.6 in the long position, you should have plenty of room.
    Awesome, thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Running 30% sag but I have not finished dialing it in. Even not fully setup It is performing as I expected which is really good. No question for me on what im going to run the bike with going forward. Im very happy this shock fits =)
    Hey Roman,

Be good to hear your setup once you have it dialed - volume spacers, pressure etc

I'm tossing up between an X2 and a DHX2 currently..

Did you use stock bushings or a needle bearing?
    Running it with a spacer or at full 60 stroke?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    hi,

has anyone spent some time on Nomad V4 and Megatower?

I know all the pros and cons for both wheel size as I have a Nomad 4 now and I have had a Hightawer. I am more interested is the Megatower can go head to head with the Nomad on rough and steep terain which I ride most offen. I like the plushness of the Nomad and the margin it gives for errors but from other side as I am on XL (185 cm or 6"1) I like the idea of longer CS to make more ballanced bike in bigger sizes.

Appriciate for your thoughts and a lot of good bikes this days to chose
    B

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No offense, but aren't you the person who couldn't figure out how to install a rear wheel? This is definitely not the way to set sag on any shock, air or coil. 230 psi at your weight is not an abnormal pressure for modern high-volume shocks.

call me nuts, but the way I've always started dialing in the rear shock is to balance on the bike and pop up and down a few times, step off the bike and see where the sag is. When I do that as my "process," I'm at 40% sag. To get to 33%, I have to go to 230psi on the shock, which seems way excessive. On my last ride, which had some nice drops, I below the travel "ring" down to the 57.5 mark on the rear shock, which seemed to basically use all the travel. Not sure how, at 170lb riding weight, I need to have 230psi in the shock to maintain 35% sag. Something is off.... What are you guys doing to dial it in.... maybe I'm just doing it wrong as I've traditionally had coil shocks, and getting the right spring rate is all I've needed to ensure....

chib
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    FWIW

I demoed MT today against my HT. My idea was to find out would the MT be the-one-bike-that-rule-them-all. I was riding with my friend and I changed between the MT and my HT to get some idea how these bikes behave and handle things in local, familiar trails.

First observation (I demoed size L as my HT is L also) is that MT felt short while seated even though it has 2 cm longer reach. I conclude that this is mostly due to steeper STA putting you to more straight position while seated. Things changed significantly when it was time to descend. The attack position in MT felt better compared to HT. This feeling mostly followed from the fact that I was able to place myself more between the wheels. The attack position felt very balanced and the center of mass were lower. I was constantly thinking that how XL would have felt, but unfortunately there weren't XL demo available.

Second observation was that MT felt heavy. This demo was NX build and weighted more than is allowed for any bike. This was especially noticeable while climbing. The MT would most likely benefit from the CC frame, X01 build and reserve wheel set.

Third, even though the HT was way more efficient climber, the MT kept the front wheel more planted. I believe this is one of the advantages of the new geo, but it can also be partially explained by the longer rear shock and following differences in weight distribution. During some short but steep technical climbs, I actually preferred the MT over the HT because of that less wandering front wheel. In longer climbs MT was utterly heavy and I felt loosing much power especially when I needed to stood up on my pedals.

Fourth, pedal bob was almost unnoticeable while seated, but prominent while standing. I find this annoying to the point of a deal breaker feature.

Fifth, the MT is very easy to manual compared to the HT. For a big hitting bike it was also more nimble than I originally thought. I really like the smaller stand over height and shorter seat tube. Now that long dropper posts are available in reasonable price (OneUp for example) it really encourages to sizing up. It was also easy to ride around a tree and rocks although with MT, you could also choose you lines directly over the rocks.

Sixth, MT is total beast going downhill. I have never felt such confidence and I rode insanely fast according to my own standards with MT. It really smoothed the trails which, in my book, is just a good thing as I can hold the flow longer. I love the plushness of MT in contrast to my HT. I think the better shock and fork are the main reasons for this feeling but that new link design has also an impact on plushness.

Seventh, dialing the shock is damn difficult. Obviously the tolerance between too much and too little pressure is very tiny. I wasn't able to completely tune this to my liking and I'm aware that this could be the reason for some of my observations.

Eight, I have never had such amount of pedal strikes as I had with MT. This was quite annoying, since this is not an issue with my HT, never has. This could be a sag-related (I ran ended up with 33% sag), but also lower BB has lot to do with this. But as long as one needs to pedal a bike, pedal strikes are not preferred.

In conclusion, I thing that I'll wait for the HT 2.0. The MT is definitively not a bike that rules them all. It rules when you have decent mountains, but where I live and mostly ride, MT is somewhat an overkill. I think that the gains in descending are lost during the flat sections and especially during ascending. I do love the new geo and my expectations toward HT 2.0 sky rocketed after this demo.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    FWIW

I demoed MT today against my HT. My idea was to find out would the MT be the-one-bike-that-rule-them-all. I was riding with my friend and I changed between the MT and my HT to get some idea how these bikes behave and handle things in local, familiar trails.

First observation (I demoed size L as my HT is L also) is that MT felt short while seated even though it has 2 cm longer reach. I conclude that this is mostly due to steeper STA putting you to more straight position while seated. Things changed significantly when it was time to descend. The attack position in MT felt better compared to HT. This feeling mostly followed from the fact that I was able to place myself more between the wheels. The attack position felt very balanced and the center of mass were lower. I was constantly thinking that how XL would have felt, but unfortunately there weren't XL demo available.

Second observation was that MT felt heavy. This demo was NX build and weighted more than is allowed for any bike. This was especially noticeable while climbing. The MT would most likely benefit from the CC frame, X01 build and reserve wheel set.

Third, even though the HT was way more efficient climber, the MT kept the front wheel more planted. I believe this is one of the advantages of the new geo, but it can also be partially explained by the longer rear shock and following differences in weight distribution. During some short but steep technical climbs, I actually preferred the MT over the HT because of that less wandering front wheel. In longer climbs MT was utterly heavy and I felt loosing much power especially when I needed to stood up on my pedals.

Fourth, pedal bob was almost unnoticeable while seated, but prominent while standing. I find this annoying to the point of a deal breaker feature.

Fifth, the MT is very easy to manual compared to the HT. For a big hitting bike it was also more nimble than I originally thought. I really like the smaller stand over height and shorter seat tube. Now that long dropper posts are available in reasonable price (OneUp for example) it really encourages to sizing up. It was also easy to ride around a tree and rocks although with MT, you could also choose you lines directly over the rocks.

Sixth, MT is total beast going downhill. I have never felt such confidence and I rode insanely fast according to my own standards with MT. It really smoothed the trails which, in my book, is just a good thing as I can hold the flow longer. I love the plushness of MT in contrast to my HT. I think the better shock and fork are the main reasons for this feeling but that new link design has also an impact on plushness.

Seventh, dialing the shock is damn difficult. Obviously the tolerance between too much and too little pressure is very tiny. I wasn't able to completely tune this to my liking and I'm aware that this could be the reason for some of my observations.

Eight, I have never had such amount of pedal strikes as I had with MT. This was quite annoying, since this is not an issue with my HT, never has. This could be a sag-related (I ran ended up with 33% sag), but also lower BB has lot to do with this. But as long as one needs to pedal a bike, pedal strikes are not preferred.

In conclusion, I thing that I'll wait for the HT 2.0. The MT is definitively not a bike that rules them all. It rules when you have decent mountains, but where I live and mostly ride, MT is somewhat an overkill. I think that the gains in descending are lost during the flat sections and especially during ascending. I do love the new geo and my expectations toward HT 2.0 sky rocketed after this demo.
    I agree with the seat tube thoughts. I was able to take a Pole Stamina out at Sea Otter and I loved the closer more comfortable climbing position. When descending and cornering I was able to lock the saddle in my thigh and it was very centered and when you really need to get behind the saddle for descending it's completely out of the way. I think some people miss the point of why it feels shorter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squid-ward View Post
    Hey Roman,

Be good to hear your setup once you have it dialed - volume spacers, pressure etc

I'm tossing up between an X2 and a DHX2 currently..

Did you use stock bushings or a needle bearing?
    Running it with a spacer or at full 60 stroke?
    Running it with bushings, I have never really felt an advantage when testing needle bearings on my shocks but that's just me. My shock is a 57.5 not a 60 stroke.

mtbr member
    I am currently building up my MT, but still a few weeks away from being able to ride it (last stages of shoulder recovery.)

I would just add that a good shock will really change things, and some of the issues Dr T mentioned above. On my Nomad 4, I ran into similar issues that Dr T mentioned with the stock Super Deluxe air shock; pedal strikes, had to run higher sag to get it to feel better, more pedal bob, etc etc. Switched to a Fox X2, and a lot of that REALLY improved. Less sag and better shock feel also yielded near zero pedal strikes, and bob when standing and cranking was much less than running the SD Air with 33% sag.

So stating the obviously but stock builds may be ok for some, but not ideal. Thanks for the review Dr T.

I've not weighed my MT, but I will try to tonight. It's got the rear brake already installed, but should be easy enough to back that weight out. A large Nomad was around 7.2 lbs with the SD Air if memory serves. My MT also has a X2 on it (also 57.5 stroke).

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    So reading about the MT people seem to prefer an Air Shox over the Coil? Two questions:

1. Is the Rock Shox Coil too bad (heavy) and are there better options (not going Push)?
    2. Where do you get the X2 in 230x57.5?
    Last edited by niconj; 2 Days Ago at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkej View Post
    My Megatower showed up on Thursday 4/4 and was ready to go on 4/5. Xo1 Medium Coil.

I changed added the following:
    OneUp Pedals.
    Reynolds TR309S Wheels
    Turbine R stem (40mm) off my Nomad V4 - For sale by the way.
    32.8 lbs on the scale with Reynolds TR309S wheels, OneUp Pedels, Ergon SMPro Seat, Specialized Bottle Cage, RF Turbine R 40mm stem and some All Mountain Style frame guards stickers in some spots.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilu View Post
    hi,

has anyone spent some time on Nomad V4 and Megatower?

I know all the pros and cons for both wheel size as I have a Nomad 4 now and I have had a Hightawer. I am more interested is the Megatower can go head to head with the Nomad on rough and steep terain which I ride most offen. I like the plushness of the Nomad and the margin it gives for errors but from other side as I am on XL (185 cm or 6"1) I like the idea of longer CS to make more ballanced bike in bigger sizes.

Appriciate for your thoughts and a lot of good bikes this days to chose
    B
    I currently have a Nomad 4, OG HT (with Push 11-6) and now a Megatower. I have about 5 rides on the MT but so far I haven't had a chance to run it down some of the steeper, more technical trails (Seattle area, like Exit 27, Tiger, etc.). From a cockpit perspective its more like the Nomad, I definitely have to be more aggressive with my body position compared to the OG HT but when I have run into some steeper stuff it feels more like the Nomad in that its less likely to make me feel like my weight is too far forward that can happen occasionally on the OG HT. From a pedaling standpoint the MT pedals as well as the 2 lb lighter OG HT for fire road climbs and is better in technical steeper single track climbing. But compared to the Nomad 4 the MT rolls faster (similar tire setup, just 27.5 vs 29) and carries more speed from a steep as the trail flattens back out.

So far (5 rides in) I can see the MT making my OG HT, Nomad (already for sale) and Canfield Jedi redundant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So reading about the MT people seem to prefer an Air Shox over the Coil? Two questions:

1. Is the Rock Shox Coil too bad (heavy) and are there better options (not going Push)?
    2. Where do you get the X2 in 230x57.5?
    I went coil because I liked the coil better on the Nomad 4 with a similar suspension design. On my Nomad 4 I had a Super Deluxe R, Float X2 and then finally a DHX2 and the bike and suspension designed really benefitted from the coil. So I went coil on the MT, Superdeluxe Ultimate (X01 build). I am running the spring it came with (medium, and I'm about 195 with gear right now) and it feels plush, compliant and up to the task of anything I have thrown it down so far (Seattle area: Tokul, BDOS, Duthie so far).

I will likely put a Push on it when it is available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I went coil because I liked the coil better on the Nomad 4 with a similar suspension design. On my Nomad 4 I had a Super Deluxe R, Float X2 and then finally a DHX2 and the bike and suspension designed really benefitted from the coil. So I went coil on the MT, Superdeluxe Ultimate (X01 build). I am running the spring it came with (medium, and I'm about 195 with gear right now) and it feels plush, compliant and up to the task of anything I have thrown it down so far (Seattle area: Tokul, BDOS, Duthie so far).

I will likely put a Push on it when it is available.
    What's medium spring? 500? I ordered the framset so it's the same shox as yours and since it's an L frame, it'll come with a 500lbs spring. I'm 210 though so I might be upping the spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Santa Cruz Megatower-s1600_fb_img_1555522873122.jpg
    Santa Cruz Megatower-s1600_fb_img_1555522885222.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What's medium spring? 500? I ordered the framset so it's the same shox as yours and since it's an L frame, it'll come with a 500lbs spring. I'm 210 though so I might be upping the spring.
    I'm pretty sure my medium shipped with a 450. I can check again tonight, I was concerned about it being to light but feels good so far). I did not try and measure sag (tough to do on a coil, with a shock mounted in the frame, by myself), I have backed rebound down (slower) 2 clicks and might go more more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I'm pretty sure my medium shipped with a 450. I can check again tonight, I was concerned about it being to light but feels good so far). I did not try and measure sag (tough to do on a coil, with a shock mounted in the frame, by myself), I have backed rebound down (slower) 2 clicks and might go more more.
    Yes. It's a 450lbs spring. I just looked it up. So then the 500 might fit fine for me. Have you tried running the bike in low already?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoi525 View Post
    I wouldn't have gone for the orange parts. Since they are only on the front, it kinda looks off to me.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Name:	s1600_FB_IMG_1555522873122.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	1247359

Name:	s1600_FB_IMG_1555522885222.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	1247360
    Very nice! Going to be close to my build! Size and weight?
    Did you get a frame only already?!

Moto Becane Roady

2015 KTM 1190R

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yes. It's a 450lbs spring. I just looked it up. So then the 500 might fit fine for me. Have you tried running the bike in low already?
    My LBS set it up in short and low so I just left it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    My LBS set it up in short and low so I just left it.
    Cool. As SC says, the low position is more progressive and coil friendly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Bike check on vital, not mine, just sharing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Santa Cruz Megatower-56162970_164507241212255_8094458726497444617_n.jpg

Santa Cruz Megatower-56485982_130938691312281_1154953118519774025_n.jpg

Waldmeister
    Is everyone here riding a Float X2 running the full 60mm stroke, or is there a 57.5mm stock version that I am not smart enough to find, re. is that a custom order at Fox?

Had my DPX2 stroke recently changed at NC service center, but was within standard available specs.

mtbr member
    I sent the 2019 X2 off my Nomad to Dirt Labs in CO to install a 2.5mm stroke spacer, they said they do it all the time for Trek Slash and some other frame I think it was.

But I call Fox as well and they told me they could install one as well, but you'd have to pay for a full rebuild. Dirt Labs was cheaper. But if you ordered directly from Fox you might be able to get it built as a 57.5 stroke, not sure.

mtbr member
    FWIW a head to head review of the MT vs SB150. The reviewer personally owns the SB150, so take that however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvsXkC7TlI

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by EnduroBob View Post
    FWIW a head to head review of the MT vs SB150. The reviewer personally owns the SB150, so take that however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvsXkC7TlI
    Seems to be a pretty fair review all in all. Good comparison between the two with some pros/cons. Says the SB150 climbs better which I think is likely true. Calls them pretty even down the middle for the rest and depending on what kind of ride you might want between them on downhill stuff makes some thoughts on that. Doesn't really say one is better overall than the other but both are pretty damn good bikes which is true.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    He talks about the climbing being better on the Yeti. This might be due to the fact that his builds are different. He only has the MT C build, which probably weighs a lot more than his Yeti. Other than that, I would like to see how much clearance both frames have at the downtube wenn it comes to steep stuff. I can imagine that with the low downtube on the Yeti (the shape I mean) youd hit stuff earlier. Just a guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by brennenhuff View Post
    Seems to be a pretty fair review all in all. Good comparison between the two with some pros/cons. Says the SB150 climbs better which I think is likely true. Calls them pretty even down the middle for the rest and depending on what kind of ride you might want between them on downhill stuff makes some thoughts on that. Doesn't really say one is better overall than the other but both are pretty damn good bikes which is true.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Santa Cruz Megatower

Im not a Yeti fan (high priced, press fit bb, perceived questionable build quality) but everyone knows they climb better than anything on the planet and descend extremely well. Having ridden neither I bet the comparison is spot on. That said, Id take the MT over the Yeti any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Name:	56162970_164507241212255_8094458726497444617_n.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	1247377

Name:	56485982_130938691312281_1154953118519774025_n.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	1247378
    Looks like that one is running the new Zipp wheels, you can see the sensors at the base of the valves.

Not sure if its the flatter rim profile or if its a smaller size frame but it looks like the wheels are really big on the profile shot. Still, Id be happy riding it...😊

mtbr member
    He talks about the climbing being better on the Yeti. This might be due to the fact that his builds are different. He only has the MT C build, which probably weighs a lot more than his Yeti.
    I was thinking the same thing. Also, on the descents, I'm not sure that was a great test course. It didn't look like he was really putting the hammer down either. That said, the Yeti may very well be a better climber and descender. I haven't ridden one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Also, on the descents, I'm not sure that was a great test course. It didn't look like he was really putting the hammer down either. That said, the Yeti may very well be a better climber and descender. I haven't ridden one.
    The bikes are both very good with some noticeable differences. The switch infinity is a very good pedaling platform but I feel the design restricts how the bike feels when pumping it compared to the VPP. No suspension design is perfect but depending on what you are looking for some are better than others. I feel the Mega is more fun to ride overall and I have an easier time moving the bike where I want. The Mega also feels a little more engaging at times. The SB150 does what I believe it was designed to do really well which is pedal up the hill and blast back down. The switch infinity system pedals great in and out of the saddle. The mega I think pedals great for a 160mm travel bike. I cannot think of a 160mm+ travel bike that I have owned that pedals better, it has a firm mid stroke and has a nice progressive leverage curve that ramps up nice on big hits.

Comparing the two you have to remember that the SB150 comes with a 170mm fork and X2 shock on the better builds which give the Yeti an out of the box advantage IMO when direct comparing to the mega. The mega with a 170mm fork, X2 shock is a serious weapon on rough trail and if you switch the rear end into the long position it's even better. Build quality there is no comparison as the new SB series yeti's have had issues that Yeti has decided to mostly ignore. I currently have 4 good friends riding the SB150 and I had one for awhile. Out of these 5 bikes 3 have excessively loose rear ends that cause 2.4-2.5 size tires to rub the chainstays and the shock hardware on all but one had to be replaced as they came with hardware that was sized incorrectly and caused side to side play in the shocks. When contacted about these issues the response from Yeti was "working as designed" basically which was very disappointing. Not being able to safely run a 2.5 tire on my SB150 without rub was the catalyst for me moving on from the bike. There are many people who's SB series bikes work without issue but in my personal experience there are far too many that do and I have heard of too many cracked frames with the bike being fairly new. On the other hand the mega and all Santa Cruz bikes I have owned have been rock solid.

Take my opinion for what it's worth but as much as I liked a lot about the SB150 I would take the megatower all day every day. Here is a short video riding my mega for the first time with the X2 shock. If you don't have a mega you can tell from the video just how quiet these bikes are which is another big plus for me.

https://youtu.be/owp-bzG03n4

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Anyone fitted a 230x60 shock on the Mega yet? Does the tire rub or does it fit fine?

Ive got an X2 off a Sb150 and debating wether to install the 2.5mm spacer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbtroll View Post
    Anyone fitted a 230x60 shock on the Mega yet? Does the tire rub or does it fit fine?

Ive got an X2 off a Sb150 and debating wether to install the 2.5mm spacer.
    Why not put it on the MT and see for yourself?

Just wondering. Why is everybody running an air shox. I went for the Coil frame as I dont care about the weight that much. Would you recon that it runs better on an air shox? I thought that I could easily replace the coil with an air. The other way round is always more expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Well I certainly will do that if I dont get the info here.

Thanks for your insightful reply though. Super helpful.

mtbr member
    The bikes are both very good with some noticeable differences...
    That's good to hear. My MT is still on order. It will do part-time duty as a trail bike and part-time as an enduro/DH bike. I was hoping they would have specced this bike with an X2. I had one on my HTLT and know how that transforms how well the rear of the bike behaves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbtroll View Post
    Well I certainly will do that if I dont get the info here.

Thanks for your insightful reply though. Super helpful.
    I thought you had the frame already. This is a matter of minutes. Quicker than waiting for someone to reply on here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I thought you had the frame already. This is a matter of minutes. Quicker than waiting for someone to reply on here.
    1. I am currently 60 mins from my house and bike.
    2. The suspension shop is 20 mins from me, that would do the mod.
    3. Im leaving on a road trip this evening right after work and debating wether to drop the shock off today and have it ready for when I get back or just run the shock.

Does that make more sense to you now that Ive explained my life story?

Also, after taking the super deluxe out last night, and reinstalling, Id love to not do that often as its a shitty ergonomic design almost on par with swapping a shock off an old demo 8. Not quite that bad though.

mtbr member
    Rom3N

You're giving me PTSD with that vid. Literally had on the same gloves when I rode Hiline a few weeks ago and blew the shock up. Of course I screwed up my camera placement and was aimed down at my feet though.

Thanks for your feedback on the bike and the X2!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WATERBOOY View Post
    Rom3N

You're giving me PTSD with that vid. Literally had on the same gloves when I rode Hiline a few weeks ago and blew the shock up. Of course I screwed up my camera placement and was aimed down at my feet though.

Thanks for your feedback on the bike and the X2!
    Blowing a shock on the backside of hiline would not be fun =(

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast