Santa Cruz Megatower - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Does Santa Cruz still have a frame only option with new bike releases?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wilda81 View Post
    Can you put the whole picture of the bike on here?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wellyxc View Post
    Saw the new bike on the weekend. Looks good!
    Well we all know what it looks like

I see SC going 100 (Blur) - 120 (Tallboy) - 140 (Hightower) - 160 (Megatower). Really, they could probably get away with 100-130-160.

Also, Hightower with the Bronson/Nomad linkage...just too bad it won't be out until summertime.

mtbr member
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu2LC5Gl...d=rgjq3u0q4tou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    That post has been removed. Good catch!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Someone couldn't of raced the new bike for a whole weekend without a million racers taking photos of it surely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This guy did..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Megatower-mt.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Full picture?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wellyxc View Post
    This guy did..
    The only number 3 listed at the NZ enduro is a girl on a Norco. The plot thickens...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It's not Mark Scott?

mtbr member
    Whoa
    Wha wha??

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tboned View Post
    Does Santa Cruz still have a frame only option with new bike releases?
    Usually yes, but in limited #s, it seems there is a "first batch" of bikes/frames and if you miss that there is usually a bit of a wait for the next batch.
    5010 v1, @mikerides.mtb

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqmike View Post
    Usually yes, but in limited #s, it seems there is a "first batch" of bikes/frames and if you miss that there is usually a bit of a wait for the next batch.
    And usually you don't find out that you missed the batch until after you paid for the bike...so make sure you have a bike to ride while you wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A friend of mine who works at Competitive said to hold tight its coming. He also said no frame option for a couple months. Sux...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I'm going to put this out there.
    The Megatower is not a replacement for the Hightower LT.
    It's just not the same bike and it's not the bike that 95% of people need.

It's a mini DH sled. A downhill bike the "can climb". Moving the shock to the lower link produces a great suspension curve that is independent from anti squat ratio. This linear ratio is great for coils and flatting every single rock in front of you. I'm sure it will stick like glue and plow threw everything in it's path at high speed.

Now if you need a trail bike that can handle medium/slow speed and likes to pop off of stuff this will be a disappointment. Outside of full on DH tracks and warp speed, this will be not fun and a life suck to climb with.

I'm looking forward to the updated Hightower as I believe it will be much more versatile, fun bike. Bikes like the SB130, Hightower/LT, Offering and Ripmo are all in the sweet spot of trail riding with almost no downsides.

Feel free to flame away.
    This guy, he's onto something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Agreed...
    Competitive said everyone who was looking for 150mm bike will be a bit let down with this because its a step up in bike. It is a huge step up! Going to a 160 rear travel, and a 180 fork. The bike will eat down hill for sure but if you ride buffed out stuff and little roots here and there well, it might feel a bit slugish. If you want a more poppy agile bike the Hightower or Hightower LT might be your better choice. I agree, I don't see this bike as a replacement for the HTLT but who knows, I don't work for SC. Maybe they discountinue the HTLT and bump up the Hightower. We'll see how this play out this summer. There is a few 29ers coming from them so we'll see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamlance View Post
    Can you put the whole picture of the bike on here?
    Yes, just wait until 16.3. )

Attachment 1241554

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    And there is the Nomad 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Agreed...
    Competitive said everyone who was looking for 150mm bike will be a bit let down with this because its a step up in bike. It is a huge step up! Going to a 160 rear travel, and a 180 fork. The bike will eat down hill for sure but if you ride buffed out stuff and little roots here and there well, it might feel a bit slugish. If you want a more poppy agile bike the Hightower or Hightower LT might be your better choice. I agree, I don't see this bike as a replacement for the HTLT but who knows, I don't work for SC. Maybe they discountinue the HTLT and bump up the Hightower. We'll see how this play out this summer. There is a few 29ers coming from them so we'll see.
    Stock with a 180 front fork? That sounds like a bit of a stretch. Most of the talk has been about it being 160 front and rear. How sure are you about that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Will have options for both air and coil on stock bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrhino View Post
    Stock with a 180 front fork? That sounds like a bit of a stretch. Most of the talk has been about it being 160 front and rear. How sure are you about that?
    i agree - canít imagine the pics above show 180mm fork travel
    MY18 Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is that a low end Aeffect stem on a CC level bike? Thatís not a good sign. Wonder where else they are cutting corners on the build.

I really hope the fix the mistake they made with the Bronson and allow you to fit a Float X2.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    People will be buying these like hotcakes, only to flip them this summer once the more sensible Hightower is released.

old school...
    Quote Originally Posted by wibbly wobbly View Post
    Is that a low end Aeffect stem on a CC level bike? Thatís not a good sign. Wonder where else they are cutting corners on the build.
    Could it be that there will be no Carbon C frame option for Megatower? Build kits starting from S-kit and Carbon CC frame only, like the new V10?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wibbly wobbly View Post

I really hope the fix the mistake they made with the Bronson and allow you to fit a Float X2.
    At least as of 2019 - the only bikes with the Turbine R are the XTR & XX1 builds. The X01 CC build....aeffect stem. I was surprised when my buddy's X01 Bronson came with an Aeffect. Thought maybe a bike shop grom nabbed the good stem...nope, it's right there on the SC build sheets.

mtbr member
    Agreed...
    It would be easy for Santa Cruz to keep the HTLT in the line-up along side the Megatower as long as they keep the Hightower around. I bet they eventually combine the two into a 140mm bike though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    People will be buying these like hotcakes, only to flip them this summer once the more sensible Hightower is released.
    I think it will be released with the same mantra as the Yeti SB150 was..
    - This bike is for racing rough trails, fast.
    - Will likely induce snoring on slower less technical terrain.
    - Majority of people won't need a bike like this

The SB130 will be fit for most riders situations. (Just like the new Hightower will fill that void here)

mtbr member
    170/170 - not 160/180.

mtbr member
    ďNomad 29er. BIGĒ
    From the owner of my LBS. available soon

mtbr member
    May 2014
    170/170 FTW.
    If it has geo similar to the SB150 Iím in

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The more I hear about this bike the more I wish it were the HTLT that was being released in March...seems like it's gonna be a climbing slug that you can throw downhill with confidence. That's not necessarily the update on the jack-of-all-trades that the HTLT seems to be. I'm looking forward to updated geometry on that bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Santa Cruz Megatower

It will climb and descend well. The question is how will it perform in anything in between? Wish more reviews covered things like single track, general trail capabilities etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It'll be a competitor to the Pivot Firebird 29, which gets pretty solid climbing reviews. This beast will be overkill for my needs, but I'm pretty sure it'll be extremely capable.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Overkill for me as well, plus Iím not in the market but I do love the excitement around new bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looks like that all the companies fighting who's gonna have the biggest 29er tool... bike...
    If its really gonna be 160/180 it will be too much of a bike for 95% or the people, but in the same time many will get it coz bigger is better...

That been said, i think it will come 160/160 stock (bigger market for that size), with option to open the fork up to 180.

Even though im not in the market for 29er, im looking forward to see what they'll bring out. If i had to get one today, i would look elsewhere for more 'sane bike' as a daily drive compare to this future monster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    itís a bromad 29er 160/160 (will be able to over fork to 180) 65 head angle and 76 seat tube and can take coil but maintaines the bronson look with double struts.

itís really nice looking the green is awesome !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyklops007 View Post
    itís a bromad 29er 160/160 (will be able to over fork to 180) 65 head angle and 76 seat tube and can take coil but maintaines the bronson look with double struts.

Only 76 STA? Was hoping for a steeper on a long travel bike.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wilda81 View Post
    Yes, just wait until 16.3. )

Attachment 1241554
    Haha Pretty please!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cyklops007 View Post

Awesome first post. Whatís your normal username? Ha ha ha

shhhhh, ďtheyĒ are watching here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbtroll View Post
    Awesome first post. Whatís your normal username? Ha ha ha

shhhhh, ďtheyĒ are watching here.
    Haha, Rob, someone is speaking out of school 😏
    I like it

That bike is probably all I ever wanted but... why did it have to be 'mint green'. :-( Edit: Just saw the spyshot with the matte grey, looks nice guess that's my problem solved.
    Last edited by lankycrank; 6 Days Ago at 10:56 AM. Reason: Previous post answers my question

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Iím would like to see the Bronson Pink make a comeback eventually

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That mint green is a Yeti ishh color.

Anyways Santa Cruz would benefit a lot from custom colors like orbea. That would also be an incitative to buy new vs used.

Lot of times the new colors arr meh and makes me want more the old versions. Just like you said about that pink bronson that was a hit.

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think the other color is flat black with glossy lettering, same as v3 nomad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This is important.

Santa Cruz Megatower-p2pb16946724-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason745 View Post
    This is important.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2pb16946724-1.jpg 
Views:	994 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	1241981
    Adjustable wheelbase at the rear wheel, v10 style. Dope. That combined with BB height chip will give you many options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by themanro View Post
    Adjustable wheelbase at the rear wheel, v10 style. Dope. That combined with BB height chip will give you many options.
    These, combined with the offset brake mount made me think they might be for width; but you're probably right. This is going to be a cool bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ability to run boost or superboost wheels. I assume 110/20 front axles will be in flavor very soon as well.

mtbr member
    Those dropouts have more height above axle thread point so I would infer adjustable CS length from that.

If so saweeet! Makes tons of sense, rear center should increase as front center increases to keep the bike balanced. This would be a potentially a more affordable way to do it vs. different rear triangle molds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jason745 View Post
    These, combined with the offset brake mount made me think they might be for width; but you're probably right. This is going to be a cool bike.
    Its adjustable wheelbase/rear triangle length.

mtbr member
    This is a nice option!, especially with the expected price (two bikes with one capability) This option on the future Hightower would help consolidate and streamline models too.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    8hrs between posts! That's a new record ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2014
    More like 8hrs between new threads starting haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Why am I so obsessed with checking all of these threads on a daily basis?!

mtbr member
    Lot's of data about the tube angles, but does anyone have any info about the length of the bike? If the seat tube is indeed steeper, I really hope they compensate by increasing the reach AND effective top tube measurement as well. SC has always been on a smaller side what comes to the length. My wish is 475-485 reach for size L. Same goes for the Hightower 2.0.
    Roots, bloody roots

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.T View Post
    Lot's of data about the tube angles, but does anyone have any info about the length of the bike? If the seat tube is indeed steeper, I really hope they compensate by increasing the reach AND effective top tube measurement as well. SC has always been on a smaller side what comes to the length. My wish is 475-485 reach for size L. Same goes for the Hightower 2.0.
    Not likely to be revealed early as itíll trigger the SC hit squad. Hide your IP! Oh no, too late.

mtbr member
    Spotted on pinkbike video page:
    Santa Cruz Megatower-screen-shot-2019-03-14-4.51.48-pm.png

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Santa Cruz Megatower-img_3182.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    There it is! Keen to read the review......seat tube looks slackish, but could just be the angle.

edit: Well, I assume thats it, unless they used a Bronson for the video thumb nail

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think that has to be it. 27.5 36 fork dropouts donít drop below for casting, the 29 does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Seat tube angle is measured from an imaginary line thru center of BB to a point on actual seat tube horizontal to the top of the steer tube. Given this seat tube angle does not seem too slack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    Why am I so obsessed with checking all of these threads on a daily basis?!
    Because you're hoping that someone of your size has gotten their hands on the geo for the XXLÖ.. 515 at the stack height number of the beast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Big AC View Post
    Because you're hoping that someone of your size has gotten their hands on the geo for the XXLÖ.. 515 at the stack height number of the beast.
    Actually I'm highly concerned that they won't make an XXL.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    They better have 440+ rear stays if the reach is 515, otherwise you won't have enough weight on the front wheel.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Donít worry, there is an XXL. It drops early next week from what I have heard (and what a number of other people have already posted).

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    They better have 440+ rear stays if the reach is 515, otherwise you won't have enough weight on the front wheel.
    Yep, by a little bit, it's not a Pole. The dropout chips in SC's vital marketing allow it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I've been hearing "next week" and "tomorrow" and "soon" for long enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Dealers will have bikes soon too!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My LBS in Aus tells me tomorrow my time, which is Friday your time... The wait is killing me!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Santa Cruz Megatower-_dl-fcpjqyoyn0rbuhctdw.jpeg

uncropped version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone else hoping the headtube angle would be sub 65?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    Put a 170mm or 180mm fork on it and it will. I'm guessing this is how the EWS team will run it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So is it a 160-160 bike? From the photo the fork doesn't seem to be longer than 160 but maybe I am wrong.

As for the looks I am not that thrilled but maybe it will look better on a XL size.

old school...
    Looks like a L-size frame in the picture, but those wagon wheels make it look rather small. Looking really good, but I prefer Bronson aesthetics
    Last edited by miqu; 5 Days Ago at 06:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I think it looks good, recently there have been too many bikes coming onto market that look like they have more form than function, with uber skinny top tubes and pretty lines. This looks like it means business, or maybe itís just because itís dark grey and black.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    Iím hoping for SB150 geo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    Anyone know if it'll use a reduced offset fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cool finally something somewhat concrete out about this bike! Like most others I am more excited about the redesigned Hightower in the 140mm travel range but it seems on par with SC to release the bigger racier bike first. Get the press, hopefully the wins, then the 99%ers bike.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    So is it a 160-160 bike? From the photo the fork doesn't seem to be longer than 160 but maybe I am wrong.
    160 / 160 but can be run with a longer fork (posts have previously mentioned up to 180).

Quote Originally Posted by groundskeeperwilly View Post
    I'd guess so, if for no other reason than to keep it looking 'current'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by groundskeeperwilly View Post
    Iím sure it will. They made a running change to the spec on their 2019 29ers, and they are all coming with 44mm offset forks. Itís not advertised or noted on the website, but itís true. Since theyíre running 44mm on the current HT and HTLT (I think even Blur and TB too), I canít imagine that theyíd go back to 51mm offset on the new stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I think it looks awesome. They've made huge improvements in the looks of these lower link frames since the nomad. Glad it looks closer to the Bronson than the nomad. Finally a legit long travel 29 from SC!

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    https://youtu.be/eVVVR9VieHU

Someone @mtb-news found a way to download the Pinkbike Video

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Here's the pinkbike video.
    A colleague showed me how to bypass the barrier. Simply pull the video id from the sourcecode and paste in another, free video at the sourcecode. I recorded it on screen and put it on my channel for comfort

mtbr member
    Now, is the hole big enough for a coil?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post

The Bronson and the Nomad both fit a Super Deluxe coil and DHX2 just fine, Iím sure this will too. Iíve seen Cane Creek and Storia coils on those bikes too. I think the spring diameter of the Push 11.6 is too big for those frames though, so that remains to be seen for this.

The lingering question is whether the air can on the X2 will fit. Santa Cruz says itís a no go on the Nomad and Bronson, though folks are putting them on size large and up Bronsons with a super tight fit. The Megatower isnít for me, but Iím really interested in seeing what it portends for the Hightower update, with shock fitment being one of the things Iím most interested in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rabbit View Post
    You don't have to hope, go with the SB150 and you'll have the geometry you want.

mtbr member
    You don't have to hope, go with the SB150 and you'll have the geometry you want.
    Maybe he wants a bit more rear tire clearance and a good customer support...

mtbr member
    May 2005

Plus a threaded BB and a realistic price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tekknik View Post

A colleague showed me how to bypass the barrier. Simply pull the video id from the sourcecode and paste in another, free video at the sourcecode. I recorded it on screen and put it on my channel for comfort

Any more advice on how to do this? This process does not make sense to me ha.

I miss f88
    Quote Originally Posted by tekknik View Post

Says unavailable
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
    Says unavailable
    Seems like Pinkbike took the video from their website and also asked our YouTuber here to delete it from his channel. In a German forum, he wrote that Mike Kazimer threatened him. CanĎt even imagine that. ;-)

Honestly, it was not that interesting. 77 seconds of riding one trail or bike park line without any comments. Filmed from a chest mount. So you didnĎt see much of the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    The Bronson and the Nomad both fit a Super Deluxe coil and DHX2 just fine, Iím sure this will too. Iíve seen Cane Creek and Storia coils on those bikes too. I think the spring diameter of the Push 11.6 is too big for those frames though, so that remains to be seen for this..
    Fake news ...the SS version of the 11:6 was made for the Nomad. It wasnt the spring that was the fit problem.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Video contained nothing--could have been on any bike aside from the static shot of the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwim5 View Post
    Fake news ...the SS version of the 11:6 was made for the Nomad. It wasnt the spring that was the fit problem.
    SS for Nomad, but not for Bronson 3. Shock tunnel too narrow per Push. With the double sided rear triangle like the Bronson, wonder if the 11.6SS will also not play with the MT

mtbr member
    I'll be interested to know how well it climbs compared to the HTLT. I like my HTLT but it's overkill for my local trails and not quite slack enough for the bike park. Also, since extended the fork to 160mm the slack seat tube puts me (36" inseam) way off the back of the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sdt0012 View Post
    SS for Nomad, but not for Bronson 3. Shock tunnel too narrow per Push. With the double sided rear triangle like the Bronson, wonder if the 11.6SS will also not play with the MT
    Given the noise that was created re shocks for Bronson, would like to think SC listened but had the same thought. We'll have a new thread for that subject in no time I would think.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Plus a threaded BB and a realistic price.
    Yes and yes plus all my wanker mates have SB150s. Not sure SC is far behind Yeti on their pricing but....
    Last edited by B Rabbit; 4 Days Ago at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Here it is

Santa Cruz Megatower-mega-tower.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Mega

Santa Cruz Megatower-mega-tower.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Pssst....scroll up a bit. You're late to the party

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Yes, from what I have heard you can get it with either coil or air.

Quote Originally Posted by cogswell23 View Post
    The Bronson and the Nomad both fit a Super Deluxe coil and DHX2 just fine, Iím sure this will too. Iíve seen Cane Creek and Storia coils on those bikes too. I think the spring diameter of the Push 11.6 is too big for those frames though, so that remains to be seen for this.

The lingering question is whether the air can on the X2 will fit. Santa Cruz says itís a no go on the Nomad and Bronson, though folks are putting them on size large and up Bronsons with a super tight fit. The Megatower isnít for me, but Iím really interested in seeing what it portends for the Hightower update, with shock fitment being one of the things Iím most interested in.
    X2 will fit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast